Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

:australia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Yeah, if one of these things fell in my lap while driving, I'd scream like a little girl and run the car off the road.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/32528252/sydney-driver-bails-from-car-after-hand-sized-spider-scare/#page1

quote:

A huge huntsman spider caused a chain reaction which finished with a teenage Volkswagen driver watching helplessly as her car rolled into the river.

The 18-year-old woman had driven her vehicle to the Bayview Boat Ramp, on the northern beaches, in the early morning when the arachnid fell from underneath the visor and onto her lap.

The panicked woman applied the handbrake only half way before leaping from the car and doing a "spider dance" in an attempt to rid herself of the spider, witnesses said.

But while she was occupied with the creepy crawly her car began slowly rolling into the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViSU_mpSs5I

Actually I believe she was trying to drown any spider offspring. After the car was towed back on land, it was given a thermite bath. Just to be safe.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Huntsman are harmless and are actually pretty good for keeping down the population of other bugs around your house. They're also pants-crappingly terrifying looking so one falling from above your visor would have to just be awful.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Testekill posted:

Huntsman are harmless and are actually pretty good for keeping down the population of other bugs around your house. They're also pants-crappingly terrifying looking so one falling from above your visor would have to just be awful.

Oh, they're harmless, but that instinctual part of my brain that's afraid of snakes and spiders takes the controls sometimes, and I'm just along for the ride you see.

At least with snakes, none of them really want to mess with you. The number of snakes that I've stepped over(and I mean literally stopped over, and not intentionally) or crossed paths with peacefully is pretty high, but the amount of arachnids I've suffered to live that aren't daddy longlegs is unbelievably low. I had a spider drop on my neck when I was in Georgia once and I had nightmares about that poo poo for weeks.

A Festivus Miracle has a new favorite as of 15:48 on Sep 4, 2016

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

theres a really strong instinctual urge for people to be frightened of spiders and snakes. with spiders it seems especially strong no matter the size. it makes u wonder if like a hundred thousand years ago or longer our ancient ancestors had to contend with spiders that were like 10 feet across and were once near or at the top of the food chain on our planet

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

So did the spider die?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

A White Guy posted:

Oh, they're harmless, but that instinctual part of my brain that's afraid of snakes and spiders takes the controls sometimes, and I'm just along for the ride you see.

At least with snakes, none of them really want to mess with you.

The eastern brown snake is the second most venomous land snake in the world and those fuckers will chase you down to prove it. Are there really places where people don't just get away when they see or hear a snake? :psyduck:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
E: not funny, i should just go the hell to sleep

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Korgan posted:

The eastern brown snake is the second most venomous land snake in the world and those fuckers will chase you down to prove it. Are there really places where people don't just get away when they see or hear a snake? :psyduck:

Where I live all but i think one kind of snake is harmless, and that one snake is pretty rare.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

There are plenty of snakes that will try to pick a fight with you out of nowhere, but if on does try to start poo poo with you, just spray it with a hose. They don't know what the gently caress's going on and just try to get away.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A White Guy posted:

The problem most have when encountering huntsmen is that the spider has a very simple method for dealing with problems which has served it well for millions of years but simply doesn't take into account the recently arrived humans who tend to lose their minds over a spider the size of their outstretched hand.

Normally a huntsman will encounter danger in one of two situations - exposed on a tree, or exposed on the ground.

If it's on a tree, it drops to safety. It it's on the ground, it climbs to safety. Simple, elegant and, in the wild, usually pretty effective. Huntsman are, after all, one of the fastest spiders in the world and can run more than 40 times their body length per second. For comparison, Usain Bolt runs about 5 body lengths per second.

Herein lies the problem. Most people will first encounter a huntsman on their wall or ceiling and try to spray or swat it. At this point spider survival strategy 1 comes into play - drop. Unfortunately this means there is now a spider falling towards your face.

The spider then finds itself on the ground near a very panicky human and now spider survival strategy 2 kicks in - climb. Unfortunately the nearest thing for the spider to climb often happens to be the leg of the aforementioned panicking human.

Yeah, they're a spider, not Einstein. Instincts rule,and theirs say "Climb!" and they'll focus on the first thing they see that wasn't the previous surface they were on, no matter what it is.

So now you have a terrified human and terrified spider running in circles on the floor as each desperately seeks safety in the face of millions of years of spider instinct and a large can of fly spray which takes far too long to work.

Thankfully, spider survival strategy 3 can come in to play at this point - scurry off somewhere dark - and they can go run under the couch or bed and you hope you got enough spray on them to kill them because now you're never going to find them unless the cat coughs them up a few days later in a creepy leggy hairball.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Sep 4, 2016

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Korgan posted:

Nah I push them off the road all the time in Georgia, but even our venomous snakes aren't very aggressive. You're more likely to see a rat snake pitching a fit than a copperhead (that prefers to hide anyway). But I know a reasonable amount about snakes and don't gently caress with wild ones beyond shoving them off the road with sticks.

Snakes are nice and my friends and there's a lot of idiots out there that think the best course of action is to murder them on sight (especially around here), thus getting bitten by a terrified animal in the process, instead of just walking away. You'd think if someone was scared of snakes they'd not want to walk up to it and expose themselves to danger but the south is weird.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3G_NL0Zs0E

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Korgan posted:

The eastern brown snake is the second most venomous land snake in the world and those fuckers will chase you down to prove it.

Keep that in mind while you watch this little old man tussle with one:

Here's an actual Australian video where a little old man almost steps on an incredibly poisonous snake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myeXMuGJAB8

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Korgan posted:

There's like a handful of native snakes in Florida that you have to worry about, almost all of which are very distinctive. Then again down in the Everglades (a loving massive swamp that takes up most of the southern 1/4 of the state, near Miami) they're finding gigantic (non-native) pythons and even loving anacondas. Rich idiot dipshits from Miami think owning an exotic snake would be great. Then a couple years later its 10 feet long and needs to be fed full sized rabbits, so they just say gently caress it and release it into the wild. Turns out there's no predators for 10-20 ft long snakes, so they just grow and grow and grow until they literally eat full sized alligators.

The schaden is literally anything to do with FL:smith:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'm just reminded of the time I was watching over the dog while the rest of my family was taking a weekend vacation. Got up early to take him out for his morning walk, opened up one of the garage doors, and thought I was seeing a coil of hose my dad had left in front of the other one right up until it started throwing itself against the door.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Gorilla Salad posted:

because now you're never going to find them unless the cat coughs them up a few days later in a creepy leggy hairball.

Or you find the corpse of the spider later on like some dead facehugger and you're wondering where your cat's got to

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tree wins.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
https://i.imgur.com/VZaeO0L.gifv

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

This is what his leg ended up as. NMS for open wound!
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=653_1463497827

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

grumplestiltzkin posted:

There's like a handful of native snakes in Florida that you have to worry about, almost all of which are very distinctive. Then again down in the Everglades (a loving massive swamp that takes up most of the southern 1/4 of the state, near Miami) they're finding gigantic (non-native) pythons and even loving anacondas. Rich idiot dipshits from Miami think owning an exotic snake would be great. Then a couple years later its 10 feet long and needs to be fed full sized rabbits, so they just say gently caress it and release it into the wild. Turns out there's no predators for 10-20 ft long snakes, so they just grow and grow and grow until they literally eat full sized alligators.

The schaden is literally anything to do with FL:smith:

Don't worry, they'll all be drowned in 20 years or so!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Testekill posted:

It happened to my wife and I when we were driving a campervan up western Oz a few months ago. Luckily it happened to the passenger (her), not to the driver (me). We both really like huntsmen, and she'll even pick them up and play with them, but it doesn't matter - a surprise spider the size of your hand in your lap just circumvents all of your higher brain functions and you go AAAAAHHHHHHH gently caress anyway.

I've also had a huntsman hiding in the mailbox the ran up my arm when I grabbed the mail. Result: mail all over the yard, and now I open the mailbox with a stick and look first.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Keep that in mind while you watch this little old man tussle with one:

This is how Australians run for office right?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/salvadorhernandez/armed-protesters-waited-for-brock-turners-arrival-at-ohio-ho?utm_term=.lk8WqlBOl#.qea0Ww1jw

If I'd read this and it was in Texas, I wouldn't have been surprised at all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sometimes I lament how boring the wildlife is in the Midwest, but Australians and Floridians always make me feel much better about it. Worst we ever get are house centipedes, and I rarely run into those.

CONTENT: A comedian I went to high school with went around Midtown Manhattan clipping people's selfie sticks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcLXfow2jEk

they got replacements after

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Sep 4, 2016

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://i.imgur.com/0uGBs2A.gifv

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Henchman of Santa posted:

Sometimes I lament how boring the wildlife is in the Midwest, but Australians and Floridians always make me feel much better about it. Worst we ever get are house centipedes, and I rarely run into those.

CONTENT: A comedian I went to high school with went around Midtown Manhattan clipping people's selfie sticks.

Did they get their phones replaced too? jesus..

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I sometimes wonder why someone thought it was a smart idea in general to have the throttle on a motorbike accelerate if for some reason the bike gets away from you and you try to hold on.

Probably because it would result in clips like this.

mcbexx has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Sep 4, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

This man is a hero.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Counterpoint: I literally live in the jungle next to a waterfall, and am surrounded by birds that most people only ever see on Attenborough documentaries. That's worth the occasional mugging by a spider the size of a puppy.

e: also this idiot http://imgur.com/a/r6JQ5

Trig Discipline has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Sep 5, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gorilla Salad posted:

The problem most have when encountering huntsmen is that the spider has a very simple method for dealing with problems which has served it well for millions of years but simply doesn't take into account the recently arrived humans who tend to lose their minds over a spider the size of their outstretched hand.

Normally a huntsman will encounter danger in one of two situations - exposed on a tree, or exposed on the ground.

If it's on a tree, it drops to safety. It it's on the ground, it climbs to safety. Simple, elegant and, in the wild, usually pretty effective. Huntsman are, after all, one of the fastest spiders in the world and can run more than 40 times their body length per second. For comparison, Usain Bolt runs about 5 body lengths per second.

Herein lies the problem. Most people will first encounter a huntsman on their wall or ceiling and try to spray or swat it. At this point spider survival strategy 1 comes into play - drop. Unfortunately this means there is now a spider falling towards your face.

The spider then finds itself on the ground near a very panicky human and now spider survival strategy 2 kicks in - climb. Unfortunately the nearest thing for the spider to climb often happens to be the leg of the aforementioned panicking human.

Yeah, they're a spider, not Einstein. Instincts rule,and theirs say "Climb!" and they'll focus on the first thing they see that wasn't the previous surface they were on, no matter what it is.

So now you have a terrified human and terrified spider running in circles on the floor as each desperately seeks safety in the face of millions of years of spider instinct and a large can of fly spray which takes far too long to work.

Thankfully, spider survival strategy 3 can come in to play at this point - scurry off somewhere dark - and they can go run under the couch or bed and you hope you got enough spray on them to kill them because now you're never going to find them unless the cat coughs them up a few days later in a creepy leggy hairball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms2klX-puUU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Outrail posted:

I can imagine a writer for law and order turning in a script that's just word for word what happened and being told to tone it down a bit because it's too over the top.

This probably is the plot to an episode of Criminal Intent. They spent the focus of the episode on the villain most of the time.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

http://i.imgur.com/WatVPXB.gifv

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

The lower lip flop as he loses consciousness is just spectacular.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I for one respect the pilot and the make-a-wish foundation for honoring that kid's dreams.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

That face reminds me of death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something