Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gail Wynand posted:

That assumes Uber doesn't offer accessible vehicles, considering some cities already mandate they do so they probably will in these cases.

Probably will, oh so I guess that makes it okay. Haven't there been stories about Uber drivers refusing service to wheelchair bound passengers and telling a blind person they would need to put their seeing eye dog in the trunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Paratransit services usually cost about $16 a trip and you need to schedule pickup pretty far in advance. The people relying on these services are often on fixed incomes . They'll typically get discounted or free fare on buses assuming they can access the stops.

Switching the routes over to uber means any disabled people get kind of screwed over. They don't benefit from a cheap Uber ride if the Uber vehicle isn't capable of loading their wheelchair or service animal. So they have to take paratransit at nearly 6x the price to go to the same place.

And it's another step toward privatization of these services. It means less full time employment when uber poached services from bus drivers and allows county agencies to save money at the cost of full time employees and the disabled.

On the other hand, county agencies aren't exactly rolling in cash and if something like this frees up transport dollars that can be more impactfully used elsewhere (maybe adding buses on busy routes, or even subsidizing paratransit) then I TT for the bus drivers but meh?

Like, go through this exercise.

If the savings generated by the program, on one route, amount to $10 per rider x 5 riders per hour x 10 hours per day x 200 days (just to make this easy math), that is $100,000 that could be used for other purposes, like subsidizing paratransit. At $16 each that is 6,250 rides for disabled people just along that route. If total ridership is 10,000 rides a year, that probably means every disabled person who was riding that route could be given free paratransit with some money left over to subsidize other things. Transit authorities could negotiate with Uber and make provisions for the disabled within the partnership agreement and likely save even more.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If a public entity, even through a contractor, provides a sevice that isn't accessable to some disabled people, they're facing a pretty large and strong ada suit.
I suspect they've (the public entity, not uber) worked out some way to provide the same service to disabled persons as a result.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

wateroverfire posted:

On the other hand, county agencies aren't exactly rolling in cash and if something like this frees up transport dollars that can be more impactfully used elsewhere (maybe adding buses on busy routes, or even subsidizing paratransit) then I TT for the bus drivers but meh?

Like, go through this exercise.

If the savings generated by the program, on one route, amount to $10 per rider x 5 riders per hour x 10 hours per day x 200 days (just to make this easy math), that is $100,000 that could be used for other purposes, like subsidizing paratransit. At $16 each that is 6,250 rides for disabled people just along that route. If total ridership is 10,000 rides a year, that probably means every disabled person who was riding that route could be given free paratransit with some money left over to subsidize other things. Transit authorities could negotiate with Uber and make provisions for the disabled within the partnership agreement and likely save even more.

This is a make believe government. Even in advanced countries like the USA local authorities will happily poison their citizens to save a buck. I'm sure that disabled person's transit budget will remain untouched.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

Well see they didn't choose a reliable launcher like Arianne 5 (73rd consecutive successful mission since 2003) but the still in prototyping phase disruptive Silicon Valley sponsored Space-X launcher that re-use the Falcon 9 rocket to save money instead.

It is SpaceX's fault but this was a fresh rocket and had nothing to do with reusability. Losing the satellite had everything to do with them leaving it on the rocket to save a day and their lovely expendable second stage.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

WampaLord posted:

I literally just read a medium story about this, including Photoshopped bank transfers to "prove" that payroll had been sent out.

E: https://medium.com/startup-grind/i-got-scammed-by-a-silicon-valley-startup-574ced8acdff#.ggz997hc1

Jesus loving Christ :dogbutton: I want to hug that person. There's hosed up and then there's that.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

It is SpaceX's fault but this was a fresh rocket and had nothing to do with reusability. Losing the satellite had everything to do with them leaving it on the rocket to save a day and their lovely expendable second stage.
The more we learn about this accident the funnier it becomes.

Edit: "Elon Musk calls the sudden ball of fire 'not an explosion'"

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Toplowtech posted:

Elon Musk continues to be the autistic Onion reporter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wateroverfire posted:

The actual regulatory authorities involved here seem to think Uber is fine to work with, so ??

Uber doesn't seem to think so, going by Austin.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

D34THROW posted:

Jesus loving Christ :dogbutton: I want to hug that person. There's hosed up and then there's that.

Yeah, it's unbelievably bad that that company is still operating and the founders aren't in hock to their victims/in prison for this sort of thing. Mrs. Penny got off light compared to the immigrants though, they're practically chained to their job now. :smith: I'd give them all new jobs and a hug if I could.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

It's cool, that 1 star Glassdoor review they have coming will ensure they never work in this town again.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I'm pretty sure the follow-up articles said that it seemed to have closed this week after the press attention. (It got discussed a lot a page or two ago). The company was WrkRiot, in case you were wondering.

http://www.businessinsider.com/wrkriot-burned-700000-allegedly-lied-to-employees-2016-8
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12382955

https://twitter.com/NinjaEconomics/status/770421298728169473

You can see some of their (now-down) website using the Wayback Machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160829050750/http://www.wrkriot.com/#home-1-section

Scroll down to the Blog section. Unfortunately the posts weren't archived, but the choices of headlines are pretty funny given the whole situation.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

You can see some of their (now-down) website using the Wayback Machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160829050750/http://www.wrkriot.com/#home-1-section

Scroll down to the Blog section. Unfortunately the posts weren't archived, but the choices of headlines are pretty funny given the whole situation.

This is an elaborate parody, right?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
You can tell how garbage their "case" is from the gloriously unprofessional tone of their statement. It's like the sort of thing Leonard J. Crabs would've been responding to in 2004.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I literally just read a medium story about this, including Photoshopped bank transfers to "prove" that payroll had been sent out.

E: https://medium.com/startup-grind/i-got-scammed-by-a-silicon-valley-startup-574ced8acdff#.ggz997hc1

So basically the fraudulent Madoff Investment Securities statements that were chucked to investors.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Toplowtech posted:

He's right, it was more like a big-rear end flamethrower. They've had trouble with the fuel lines on the second stage before.

SpaceX has been struggling to stay on its promised launch schedule. WSJ says that Tesla and Elon's solar venture are also going through a cash crunch, so a blown up launch pad couldn't come at a much worse time.

I know the satellites are insured but I wonder if the pad is.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Arglebargle III posted:

He's right, it was more like a big-rear end flamethrower. They've had trouble with the fuel lines on the second stage before.

SpaceX has been struggling to stay on its promised launch schedule. WSJ says that Tesla and Elon's solar venture are also going through a cash crunch, so a blown up launch pad couldn't come at a much worse time.

it wasn't damaged apparently

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Munkeymon posted:

Eh, I recognize that they violate the same laws, but holy poo poo their business practices look like a next-level scam that I'm pretty sure only works because universities have a lot of money and are reliable, captive customers. They can't even claim to be doing a lot of the work a normal mass-market publisher does and they still have much better margins just for acting as a now-mostly-useless middle man that doesn't even pay for the expert work they get out of the actual value-add step in the process.

Ethically, I'm just fine if no middle men make any money from the dissemination of scientific knowledge, so sticking it to them is just fine by me.

I disagree with the lack of intermediaries. Editors and curators should get paid, and they serve a valuable role. The issue is that the rates are prohibitive for most universities.

I agree with the issue of unis being a captive audience. Also, as I mentioned, unis end up hostages of the publishers, since they no longer have an archive Tha they can access.

Now, if you think all of this is bad, imagine how bad it is when the knowledge being kept under pay walls are court decisions. I'm doing my PhD in law, and while US decisions have been mostly indexed by Google, many UK cases can only be accessed via Lloyd's Reports or similar periodicals, all of which cost thousands upon thousands per year.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The US legal caselaw is probably going to be freely and fully publicly available, at least at the federal levels (and probably most states) in 10-15 years. It's part of why the two big entities in private legal databases released premium versions of their systems. Other countries will follow/are following suit.

edit: fun fact: part of my research program involves taking what works from scientific and legal communication systems and cross-pollinating.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 3, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Discendo Vox posted:

The US legal caselaw is probably going to be freely and fully publicly available, at least at the federal levels (and probably most states) in 10-15 years. It's part of why the two big entities in private legal databases released premium versions of their systems. Other countries will follow/are following suit.

I'll believe it when I see it. The Lexis and West lobbies are pretty strong. Also, beyond searching (which sucks on both), Shepardizing (or the generic version) is really where the real value is and still probably requires an actual human, so I don't see that going the way of the do-do any time soon. It would be great though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Condiv posted:

it wasn't damaged apparently

The satellite that fell 200 feet to the ground or the launch gantry that was visibly twisted?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Kobayashi posted:

Has there ever been a Silicon Valley company whose lore includes missing payroll and stories about the crazy days where the employees worked for free? That seems like a myth even SV can't sell.

FedEx

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/15/fred-smith-blackjack-fedex_n_1966837.html

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arkansas is usually not considered part of SV, but I'll hear you out.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

nm posted:

I'll believe it when I see it. The Lexis and West lobbies are pretty strong. Also, beyond searching (which sucks on both), Shepardizing (or the generic version) is really where the real value is and still probably requires an actual human, so I don't see that going the way of the do-do any time soon. It would be great though.

It's happening. Again, that's explicitly the reason they developed Nexis and Next- to give added value and try to keep customers as things become publicly available.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 4, 2016

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Gail Wynand posted:

That assumes Uber doesn't offer accessible vehicles, considering some cities already mandate they do so they probably will in these cases.

No, they won't. We tried that here and they left town until they could get a waiver.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arglebargle III posted:

spacex leases pads from the us government at cape canaveral, so lol

apparently the tower etc. is owned by spacex

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, NASA is selling abandoned launchpads at Cape Canveral like mad and even considered selling the Vehicle Assembly Building, so if you want something to blast a rocket off of there's some memory of America's space race just a few miles away waiting for you.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, NASA is selling abandoned launchpads at Cape Canveral like mad and even considered selling the Vehicle Assembly Building

That's depressing as hell. :smith:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Schubalts posted:

That's depressing as hell. :smith:

Private Space is blowing up!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

North Carolina Uber driver: I'm an employee, you aren't paying minimum wage, cough up!

quote:

Uber, a company recently valued at $68 billion, has long argued that it is a partner, not an employer, of its drivers. Hood’s suit lays out an exhaustive argument for why this claim is misleading. A brief snippet: “Uber exercises near total control over the means and method of his work. For example, Uber controls the terms and conditions of employment from what to wear to what route to take, to setting customer fares and Uber’s fee. Uber has the authority to hire, fire, and discipline Uber drivers.”

Hood is seeking compensatory damages and an injunction against Uber that would prohibit the company from continuing these practices: “[Hood] and the class he seeks to represent are owed fundamental wage protections that federal law and North Carolina wage and hour laws afford other North Carolina employees.”
A sample of his returns:

quote:

Week of April 25, 2016:
Hours worked: 65.44
Total compensation: $513.14
Expenses: $200
Hourly wage: $4.78/hour

Week of December 28, 2015:
Hours worked: 79.62
Total compensation: $721.67
Hourly wage: $6.55/hour

Week of December 14, 2015:
Hours worked: 56.84
Total compensation: $311.07
Holy poo poo: $1.95/hour
Sounds like piecework to me. You supply the materials and the hours, you're paid per unit created no matter how much it cost you in materials and hours.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If it's possible to make less than $2 an hour Uber has done something very wrong. There just isn't an excuse for that.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I kind of wonder about the numerator in that fraction. Is he counting "hours worked" as having the app on or actual driving? He could be doing any number of other things while having the app on, even sitting in his house watching TV. And since this is a lawsuit he has incentive to pad the numbers.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Gail Wynand posted:

I kind of wonder about the numerator in that fraction. Is he counting "hours worked" as having the app on or actual driving? He could be doing any number of other things while having the app on, even sitting in his house watching TV. And since this is a lawsuit he has incentive to pad the numbers.

Given that Uber knows, via GPS, exactly where his phone is at all times he's got the app open, this would be an easily falsifiable lie, and a competent lawyer would advise against it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Don't Uber drivers generally either circle areas or idle at central locations when waiting for fares? That kind of behavior is what I'd consider to be on the clock if we're calling Uber drivers misclassified employees.

Like, I'm a contractor. A decent portion of my time is spent writing proposals, networking, or doing general administrative tasks and none of that is billable to anyone, but I'm also able to account for that time in the rates I charge. There's a problem if Uber drivers aren't able to even hit minimum wage once you factor in time that isn't billable.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Legislators around the world agree with you, it's why Uber is finding themself legislated out of markets.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Gail Wynand posted:

Yeah, the nature of the Uber app is that the drivers basically need to be driving around (or parked very close to a pick-up zone, e.g. the gas station near an airport) all the time while they're on the clock.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MiddleOne posted:

Legislators around the world agree with you, it's why Uber is finding themself legislated out of markets.

There's legislation based on compensation? I'd only heard of ones involving licensing or driver requirements.

Can you point to an example?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Technically speaking if you're waiting for the company to need you then you are on call and get some compensation because they are owning your time. Ambulance drivers do get paid when sitting and waiting after all while people "on call" sometimes first their jobs often get at least a decent salary. Uber is just being lovely.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

There's legislation based on compensation? I'd only heard of ones involving licensing or driver requirements.

Is that an important difference? The end-result is still that Uber is out. In many countries the two are tied together. Being a certified taxi driver means being paid according to union set taxi driver minimum standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

About five posts up:

E: At least, there's litigation arguing that the legislation based on compensation already exists. This is a fairly strong argument.