Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

As long as you can't see them doing it settlers will always find a way to steal all your guns. Hide them on the moon. It doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

As long as you can't see them doing it settlers will always find a way to steal all your guns. Hide them on the moon. It doesn't matter.

That's why I kept the red rocket free of settlers (outside of a couple farming protectrons) as storage

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

UGH. I built up Starlight as my main crafting / farming place in survival mode. I thought I was being clever by putting a concrete wall in front of its workbench to protect its contents (weapons / ammo) from settlers. I mean, you can NOT get in, and I just briefly turn off clipping to zip in and out of it. I removed all weapons from all settlers and did a test fight and they used fists, did not grab weapons.

I'm walking back and hear a fight, see super mutants, and then see several mininuke detonations. No. not suiciders ... some settler, some how, had grabbed my Fat Man from the workbench and used all my mininukes. WTF? HOW?

I hate this aspect of the AI with the fire of a thousand suns.

Now I need to build some kind of exotic secure storage room in the sky just so I can place weapons there.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I think I'm gonna try the 'basement living' mod and build an underground bunker with separate containers for ammo / weapons.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10967/

Seems designed with this issue in mind.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I kept all my guns in a box I put in the middle of the drive in and no one ever touched them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

On any difficulty but Survival I'd suggest just storing the guns and keeping all the ammo to yourself, since they won't use guns they have no ammo for. On Survival you'll just have to live with it I guess.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Dont keep the weapons and ammo in the same box

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
don't set up a recruitment beacon at your main base

so i haven't dug into this much, but i take it it's been pretty much confirmed that you can't use any of the raider groups as an actual faction for the main storyline ending? i want to start a new game so i can crack into nuka world, but i'm not sure how to go about it. if you can side with a raider group i'd do that, but if not, i guess i'd just go for evil father with the institute and mainly just be a raider boss.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So despite reading every guide on bugs and glitches I cannot get the game to recognize that my powered teleporter pieces are all together and juiced to take me to the institute.

Any tips?

First, take it all apart by storing the pieces, then put it all back together and when you start the power wiring, if you're using multiple generators, wire them all to a central conduit. Then connect each teleporter part to that conduit individually. If that doesn't work and you're on PC, you can try the console command SetStage for the quest. The quest ID is in there as well as each quest stage number. The command should look something like:

SetStage 000b1752 500

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My survival exit saves aren't working. They don't show up in the saves list (ps4). I never used them before because i was afraid of this scenario. Lost an hour of progress.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rinkles posted:

My survival exit saves aren't working. They don't show up in the saves list (ps4). I never used them before because i was afraid of this scenario. Lost an hour of progress.

They don't show up in the saves list, they're auto-deleted when you resume the game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Azhais posted:

They don't show up in the saves list, they're auto-deleted when you resume the game

Point being the game resumes from the last auto save, not the exit save. I checked the save list only afterwards.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Fallout Subsistence looking good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh god this is terrible, i already had a problem with packrattery in games like this and now almost everything can be turned into sweet sweet scrap for weapons armor and/or building poo poo.
How could you do this to me Bethesda? :argh:

Also, shut up Cogsworth, that old phone is totally useful.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

a kitten posted:

This is the one thing I don't get. Every companion gives you poo poo about collecting junk. I just wanted one of the dialogue options to be

(->) GRAB THEM BY THE loving LAPELS AND EXPLAIN RECYCLING SO THEY SHUT UP ABOUT IT

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

a kitten posted:

Oh god this is terrible, i already had a problem with packrattery in games like this and now almost everything can be turned into sweet sweet scrap for weapons armor and/or building poo poo.
How could you do this to me Bethesda? :argh:

I reccomend getting the Scrapper perk, turns guns into useful junk and highlights favorites items in the world. Also Strong Back, because it not only lets you carry more junk, but lets you run and fast travel while overencumbered.

Pre-war money can be used as cloth. Which means I'm sleeping on a mattress of 20 dollar bills and cigarettes.

If you have the Automatron DLC you can also make new friends out of junk!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Speedball posted:

Which means I'm sleeping on a mattress of 20 dollar bills and cigarettes.

Finally I can role play my life

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Allen Wren posted:

This is the one thing I don't get. Every companion gives you poo poo about collecting junk. I just wanted one of the dialogue options to be

(->) GRAB THEM BY THE loving LAPELS AND EXPLAIN RECYCLING SO THEY SHUT UP ABOUT IT
I think it's something the devs noticed because all the DLC companions (not counting the Nuka World one, who I have yet to get) are all "hell yea" when you grab a plastic spatula. Hancock's ambivalent-to-pro about it too, fwiw.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Allen Wren posted:

(->) Look, buddy, I'm the one used to living in a real house with appliances I didn't have to dig out of a toilet. If anything, I should be the obnoxiously indignant one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Woah, you get basically every prop from Nuka World to use in settlements.

Awesome. They should retroactively do this with far harbor and the base game.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

This is why using an Automatron companion is the best. Bleep Bloop all you want pal, doesn't mean anything to me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Woah, you get basically every prop from Nuka World to use in settlements.

Awesome. They should retroactively do this with far harbor and the base game.

You get quite a lot of Far Harbor props at least. Bunch of buoys, nets, fish racks. An outhouse...

Not so much Children of Atom props though. I wish they had those. Glowing nuclear skulls would have been a cool ornament.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

I think it's something the devs noticed because all the DLC companions (not counting the Nuka World one, who I have yet to get) are all "hell yea" when you grab a plastic spatula. Hancock's ambivalent-to-pro about it too, fwiw.

Nah, I've had the Nuka-World guy give me poo poo, too, even though I've got all the Strong Back perks. He's not as annoyed as the Commonwealth companions, but he's still disappointed. I never got around to hanging out with the Far Harbor guy.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I get why people would look at you strangely if you just ran around picking up random bits of 200 year old garbage and why your companions would give you poo poo for it. But what makes it even stranger is that it's a major part of the game and in a way you're being discouraged from doing it. And what's even stranger than that is that many of these same companions will ask you stupid questions while they watch you craft things with it later; as if they couldn't put two and two together and figure out what you're doing.

That said I never play with companions and don't care about the added benefits they give you - for any that are actually useful I can just use a console command to increase their relation.

Also, scouring each room for useful poo poo to scrap lets you find some of the odder details the level designs put into their creations:

And a million other small details like that people have found. Things people may not have otherwise noticed if they weren't going over everything in such detail.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does anyone else get an unending black loading screen when trying to use a settlement plastic surgeon (from the vault dlc)? Environmental game audio remains in the background.

Maybe my character can't get to the seat? It's in a cramp spot.

E: yup, changing the position fixed it.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 5, 2016

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Corzaa posted:

This is why using an Automatron companion is the best. Bleep Bloop all you want pal, doesn't mean anything to me.

Mai waifu, Ada, it totally supportive of my scrap picking habits. "Don't leave anything useful behind!"

That said, I do wish Jezebel was a companion. She's so Tsuntsun.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 5, 2016

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I like the female processed voice.

"that was amusingly simple" indeed.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

I like the female processed voice.

"that was amusingly simple" indeed.

I love my giant electrified sentry bot with a deathclaw skull that only speaks in beeps and bloops.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ok, I've hit the point in my rpg cycle where i just randomly decide to start over from the beginning.

Any tips for SPECIAL and/or perks to make a smart, glass-cannon type character? Basically a Mage, i always play mages.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

a kitten posted:

Ok, I've hit the point in my rpg cycle where i just randomly decide to start over from the beginning.

Any tips for SPECIAL and/or perks to make a smart, glass-cannon type character? Basically a Mage, i always play mages.

Max out Intelligence, for a start. So you can get the emergency "Nerd Rage" perk that's all the way at the top of the list. It's especially good for characters who tend to dip low on health, like an emergency hit of Psychojet. Get a few ranks in almost everything in Intelligence. Gun Nut, Science, Hacking, Robot Expert, Chemist, the works. You'll be able to build your own robots with ease. Every good mage can make a golem.

Don't necessarily start out with a ton of Charisma, but work your way up it until you get the ability to pacify everything with Wasteland Whisperer, Animal Friend and Intimidate. That's as close as you'll get to a "mind control" spell in the game. Plus you'll be able to make monsters guard your settlements.

You could go for a sneaky stealthy snipery build, with lots of Perception and some Agility/Luck. A very stealthy character can wipe out enemies at a distance that way. Perception also has the Demolitions Expert perk and if you're a mage, you want to blow stuff up! Luck perks are practically magic in themselves; you can have a guy randomly appear to kill your foe in one hit, you charge up maximal no-miss shots, even have a chance to make enemies kill themselves instantly with a ricochet shot.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ah, perfect! Hopefully I can squeeze some strength in there eventually so I can use heavy weapons later on.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jezebel was helping keep things secure at the Red Rocket in my game, but eventually got whacked by a random raid. No way for me to repair her, no way for me to move her corpse, just going to have a tacky bright pink robot carcass laying on the hill just across the road forever.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

Jezebel was helping keep things secure at the Red Rocket in my game, but eventually got whacked by a random raid. No way for me to repair her, no way for me to move her corpse, just going to have a tacky bright pink robot carcass laying on the hill just across the road forever.

You can move too heavy to lift corpses with grenades or explosive weapons :black101:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well, naturally something went wrong with my mods during the attempted re-launch. So now I have to restart the fight with the Mod Monster before I can get back to shooting raiders in the face.
That's fine, i should probably eat lunch anyway.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yep, the bug where random enemies have no hitbox and are therefore unkillable is still in the game :thumbsup:

loving rabid molerat

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, I'd prefer the repair option. It's currently outside of my build radius, so what would I do, move her so that she's sitting somewhere where I might want to build at some point? Nah.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

botany posted:

yep, the bug where random enemies have no hitbox and are therefore unkillable is still in the game :thumbsup:

loving rabid molerat

I like the bug where you kill all ants in an ant swarm but the "ant swarm" still exists.

Felt like I was in stalker's meat grinder anomaly when I basically exploded into chunks because an invisible cloud of ant death touched me.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
wait what the gently caress is an ant swarm :stare: is that a DLC enemy? cause i haven't gotten to those yet.

anyway the unkillable molerat is camping the entrance to goodneighbour so now i gotta get creative somehow.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

botany posted:

wait what the gently caress is an ant swarm :stare: is that a DLC enemy? cause i haven't gotten to those yet.

anyway the unkillable molerat is camping the entrance to goodneighbour so now i gotta get creative somehow.

guess I spoiled it. There are ants in Nuka World, and there's a rather insanely powerful enemy called the Flying Ant Swarm.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

a kitten posted:

There is nothing close to being a Mage in this game. You can fight things with melee weapons or guns or explosives, from a distance or up close, in VATS or out of it, concealed or not. Or you can not fight things at all.

The Charisma perks which allow you to pacify enemies and incite them to attack are sort of mage-ish, but they're not so great. They fail about two thirds of the time. Meaning, you go to pacify an enemy, and it usually doesn't work. If it does work though, inciting them to attack others always works. If Pacify fails, you can try it again a few minutes later, if you want to wait that long.

A glass cannon in this game would generally be a sniper. You are sneaking the whole time, with a sniper rifle that can kill things in one shot generally. Was this what you wanted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

:stonk:

Heavy gunner increases explosive damage on heavy weapons including the explosive legendary effect.
An explosive minigun with maxed heavy gunner and demolition expert should do 70-75 damage per shot.

• Locked thread