Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Are we getting more cute as hell Bricktober mini modular buildings this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
No, we're getting minifig sets. 4 of 4 each.

http://www.thebrickfan.com/rest-of-toys-r-us-bricktober-2016-lego-minifigure-collections-revealed/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not as rad as the mini modulars, but the warriors minifig set looks cool. I love that king minifig.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

100%!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So in all the sets I've bought over the last couple of years. (That's more than it sounds like it would be...) I just ran into my first missing piece(s) in a set. :\

The odd thing is it's not a piece, but 2 of the exact same piece. The 2x2 red smooth tiles for the Porsche Pit Lane 75876 set. Unfortunately they are surface/sticker outside pieces so I can't fudge it. Sadly of all the rando pieces I do have, I do not have those.

Bummer. I know Lego will send them to me, but my son is sick today and we were building it. Puts a bit of a damper on things.

In other news, I feel like a goddamn cretin, but I'd just kind of grinned and beared it with regards to sticker application. (Had gotten decent, too) but whipped out some tweezers today and everything is going on WICKED straight...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

w00tazn posted:

I'd buy a few of these for shocks/wheels for your trike:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dec...2676761045.html

You'll probably need a race car or something like this for suspension / draftshaft / differentials
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dec...07-e37f729a315d

Thank you, I pulled the trigger and bought two of the dirtbike and one of the F1 racer, cost me $82 with free shipping on AliExpress, plus TopCashBack.com was giving 7% back for the site, and another 2% on my CitiBank DoubleCash... comes out to 3 cents a brick.

Also, any insight into what kind of kit the guy in those videos was using for motorizing and remote control steering? I'm assuming it might be better to actually go LEGO for the electromechanical stuff.

Edit:

I remember I used to have one of these bad boys as a kid, the 9v battery box and motor with pneumatic pump, not sure if there's a more modern version that is better/cheaper?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201653795601

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 1, 2016

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Double points, the holiday train, and the new architecture sets. Gonna be an expensive month. :3

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The boxer from the new CMFs comes with a helm and a 1x1 cylinder that isn't pictures. I thought I had two babies and never could find a boxer, so I put one back, ended up missing the baby and having the boxer.

And someone took all the banana guy figures.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mike Danger posted:

Double points, the holiday train, and the new architecture sets. Gonna be an expensive month. :3

What's the new Architecture set?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Having a blast building the castle. I have already seen a couple build techniques I had never seen before. That's not with a lot of experience, but this has been really interesting to build so far. The tiles in the entryway being recessed was a really neat trick.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Feenix posted:

What's the new Architecture set?

US Capitol Building

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Needs more alien space ship.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

obi_ant posted:

Needs more alien space ship.

I think they actually blow up the White House in that movie.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

October's a bit of a bumper month generally.

October 1-25: FREE Exclusive Holiday Countdown Calendar (40222) with purchases of $99 or more, while supplies last. Build and rebuild 24 new sets as you count down to the holidays.

Is the special Christmas promo set this year or no? I didn't see the gold seal with the year on it like the others.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

DrChud posted:

Is the special Christmas promo set this year or no? I didn't see the gold seal with the year on it like the others.

I think those sets are typically in November or December.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The new volcano stuff for the City theme is pretty spiffy. The big chunky exploration vehicles send off some Classic Space rover vibes, lime green rover vibes. I can dig it. I like the Star Wars stuff and I don't mind the various licensed properties but I am going to echo earlier sentiments and say I wish they'd do a new exploration focused Space theme.

Gimme a space miner theme with some big rear end vehicles

Like Rock Raiders or Power Miners but more sci fi and less awful.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

What are the cheapest kits those Differential housings come with? My son and I keep wanting to build our own custom Mindstorms program-driven race-car robots and we keep trying to build diffs out of what we have but they're not very practical.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Potential BFF posted:

The new volcano stuff for the City theme is pretty spiffy. The big chunky exploration vehicles send off some Classic Space rover vibes, lime green rover vibes. I can dig it. I like the Star Wars stuff and I don't mind the various licensed properties but I am going to echo earlier sentiments and say I wish they'd do a new exploration focused Space theme.

Gimme a space miner theme with some big rear end vehicles

Like Rock Raiders or Power Miners but more sci fi and less awful.

So M:TRON then

bij
Feb 24, 2007

M:TRON II and a Mega Core Magnetizer II with even bigger wheels? Hell yea. I'd take Blacktron III with a modern take on the modular ball cockpits too. Trans neon yellow EVERYWHERE.

I remember being incredibly jealous that Lego employees had access to enough bricks to make the glowing pits that showed up in the Space section of every catalog for years.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I usually buy a bunch of poo poo every time i am in China and as me and the wife are going there in a couple of months i have started preparing.

All this Lepin talk was quite conveniently timed and i am thinking of buying some. Looking at the chinese sites, the ones that only ship domestically, the Lepin stuff is even cheaper than what you guys have linked. We are talking ~5 USD for a modular. Maybe they are knockoffs of the knockoffs :iiam:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Potential BFF posted:

M:TRON II and a Mega Core Magnetizer II with even bigger wheels? Hell yea. I'd take Blacktron III with a modern take on the modular ball cockpits too. Trans neon yellow EVERYWHERE.

I remember being incredibly jealous that Lego employees had access to enough bricks to make the glowing pits that showed up in the Space section of every catalog for years.

I remember loving how atmospheric those space pics were. All the extra stuff they'd built, and the mood lighting and whatnot, that's how I wanted my Lego to look.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ineptitude posted:

I usually buy a bunch of poo poo every time i am in China and as me and the wife are going there in a couple of months i have started preparing.

All this Lepin talk was quite conveniently timed and i am thinking of buying some. Looking at the chinese sites, the ones that only ship domestically, the Lepin stuff is even cheaper than what you guys have linked. We are talking ~5 USD for a modular. Maybe they are knockoffs of the knockoffs :iiam:

Can you post some links? My boyfriend is a Chinese national so next time he visits his mom I'll make him exfiltrate some.

Edit:

I did some research on the CV joints the guy was using, when I say a picture I was thinking (hey, those aren't actually constant velocity, it's just a different way to mold a normal lego U-joint, and apparently I was right because there's a big debate about it: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=118277&st=25

I feel like I'm actually learning some engineering!

Edit 2:

Oh, I get it, the CV joint is constant velocity because there's a bit of room for it to slide around where the two parts mate. I'm surprised it doesn't wear out from the friction.

Edit 3:

This page is super cool, is there anything else on the new like it? http://www.technicopedia.com/fundamentals.html

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 2, 2016

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Potential BFF posted:

Oh M:Tron :love:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Brought the last bit of my old Lego from my parent's house yesterday. I feel dumb as hell because I have the 3 trucks from the old 6393 truck stop set, but not the actual base or structure. Wondered if it's worth recreating the whole thing but I know I'll just end up selling all of this as one big lot to one of you saps or on ebay. I even found bags from sets that came in McDonalds happy meals but not the actual vehicles themselves. Found the box for my sister's old lego train 7722 but hardly any of the pieces. Trying to resist getting sucked back into lego...

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Zero VGS posted:

Thank you, I pulled the trigger and bought two of the dirtbike and one of the F1 racer, cost me $82 with free shipping on AliExpress, plus TopCashBack.com was giving 7% back for the site, and another 2% on my CitiBank DoubleCash... comes out to 3 cents a brick.

Also, any insight into what kind of kit the guy in those videos was using for motorizing and remote control steering? I'm assuming it might be better to actually go LEGO for the electromechanical stuff.

Edit:

I remember I used to have one of these bad boys as a kid, the 9v battery box and motor with pneumatic pump, not sure if there's a more modern version that is better/cheaper?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201653795601

It looks like he's using two Power Functions XL Motors
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power-Functions-XL-Motor-8882?fromListing=listing

A Power Functions Servo
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Power-Functions-Servo-Motor-88004?fromListing=listing

A Power Functions Rechargable Battery Box (There are other cheaper boxes)
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power-Functions-Rechargeable-Battery-Box-8878?fromListing=listing

And Two Power Functions IR Receivers
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power-Functions-IR-Receiver-8884

Not sure what he's using to control the IR but it's probably two of these: (one for servo/stearing and one for acceleration)
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Power-Functions-IR-Remote-Control-8885?fromListing=listing

I think most of these other than the Battery box was included in the latest flagship RC set:
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Remote-Controlled-VOLVO-L350F-Wheel-Loader-42030?fromListing=listing

TremorX posted:

What are the cheapest kits those Differential housings come with? My son and I keep wanting to build our own custom Mindstorms program-driven race-car robots and we keep trying to build diffs out of what we have but they're not very practical.

I think the Formula Off-Roader is the cheapest current technic set that has a differential housing included
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Formula-Off-Roader-42037?fromListing=listing
https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=42037-1

I did a search on amazon and there are few "differential kits" that look like they're cheap.
Even parting it out shouldn't be that expensive.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 2, 2016

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp

mattfl posted:

Overall, jesus guys, if you're not trying to resell these and want to finish your modular city, or just have a few on display, no one is going to know these aren't real Lego. Besides the somewhat wonky mini figs, which once put together aren't that bad and the lack of Lego on the top stud these are 100% identical to real Lego. Colors are dead on, connectivity between bricks is what you'd expect between Lego bricks, the instructions are the same as the real Lego instructions. I don't know exactly how they did it, but this is as close to real Lego as it can be. As soon as I'm done with this one I'll be ordering more Lepin modulars to finish off my collection and will not feel bad about it at all.

I found this slightly more critical review of the Lepin Green Grocer. It's not an exact duplicate of the original Lego set, but it's probably close enough for most folks. The reviewer also has galleries of a bunch of other Lepin modular sets.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

fygar posted:

I found this slightly more critical review of the Lepin Green Grocer. It's not an exact duplicate of the original Lego set, but it's probably close enough for most folks. The reviewer also has galleries of a bunch of other Lepin modular sets.

I was looking at that today. It seems that if you follow the original instructions, you can see the few pieces that are different, then order them, and still come out ahead.

What I want is to find a way to get these things at China prices.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anything good just come out or in early September?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think the Rogue One sets are coming out in September?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Nah they're October 1st.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

drat, I just saw the Porsche 911 in real life for the first time and that is a giant set. Like four times bigger than the other non-Technic cars.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That set is so weird looking.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Messed around with the little ship i posted a month or so back some more today.

Mostly just wanted to make it less of an over greebled mess and give it a better form. I think it's coming together and looking more coherent but I wish I had some parts I don't. i'd like to make the color scheme a little more interesting. Probably doesn't actually look much different from the last time I posted but I redesigned about half of it to try and make it look subtlety better.

Redid a bunch of stuff under the wings too which was sort of pointless since it's covered up when they are on, but hey.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

NESguerilla posted:

Messed around with the little ship i posted a month or so back some more today.

Mostly just wanted to make it less of an over greebled mess and give it a better form. I think it's coming together and looking more coherent but I wish I had some parts I don't. i'd like to make the color scheme a little more interesting. Probably doesn't actually look much different from the last time I posted but I redesigned about half of it to try and make it look subtlety better.

Redid a bunch of stuff under the wings too which was sort of pointless since it's covered up when they are on, but hey.

I really like it.

Perhaps here, perhaps somewhere else... Might you consider doing a REALLY dumb-talk version of how you did the tape transfer stuff? It sounded fascinating and super- useful!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
That looks really cool. I need to set aside some time for MOCing, it just hasn't happened despite having gotten $200 of spaceship parts off Bricklink a while ago.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just saw the 911 in person. Thoughts:

It's huge.
Orange is totally the wrong color.
It looks fun to build.
It looks like a janky 911.

I'm no expert, but I feel they could have made the lines a lot smoother. The 911 is elegant and has kept it's basic shape for 50+ years. This thing is just wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's technic, no technic set has ever had a "perfect" exterior. They're more about the internal mechanics.

If you want that build it yourself or wait for them to do a creator porsche.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feenix posted:

I really like it.

Perhaps here, perhaps somewhere else... Might you consider doing a REALLY dumb-talk version of how you did the tape transfer stuff? It sounded fascinating and super- useful!

Thanks!

I'm kind of crap at making videos, but pm me if you have any questions about making stickers. My advice would be to just give it a shot and you'll be surprised at how easy it is to do. Once you make one you'll be able to do it endlessly.

Basically just stick packing tape to the laser printed image you want, brandish it with the back of some scissors and soak it so you can rub off the paper With your thumb. It sounds like it's going to be complicated or not work correctly, but just try it once and you'll be like "holy poo poo!"

I honestly don't even fully understand how it works but it does. Just make sure to give yourself a little bit of tape around the image when you cut it out because anything that is printed won't be sticky.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Zero VGS posted:

Can you post some links? My boyfriend is a Chinese national so next time he visits his mom I'll make him exfiltrate some.

It was my wife that showed it to me. She looked it up on taobao (your BF will know what that is) i believe. You also find some stuff on JD (ask BF)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone done some BSG stuff with parts lists and instructions? Nothing on Rebrickable