Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

ZDar Fan posted:

"Pretend" is the operative word here.

$21,700 is extremely tight for a single person in a low COL area. For a family, it's pretty much not doable.

No wonder the credit card debt is so high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

ZDar Fan posted:

The response should ask how cutting the family's revenue (income tax receipts) is ever a good idea? Basically it goes into asking if the National Debt is a bad thing, why didn't Bush use the surplus to pay down the debt, instead of cutting taxes?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SimonCat posted:

The response should ask how cutting the family's revenue (income tax receipts) is ever a good idea? Basically it goes into asking if the National Debt is a bad thing, why didn't Bush use the surplus to pay down the debt, instead of cutting taxes?

Regular people don't raise their income, they just work really hard and hope they get a raise for being good little children. In a perfectly competitive market you can't raise revenue anyway, you have to be more competitive by lowering costs. Why should business subsidize the bad decisions of poor people?

:downswords:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ZDar Fan posted:

As ever with this perennial favorite, there is so much wrong with this you can basically take your pick ridiculing it. As was already pointed out, U.S. Households don't have basically 0% interest rates. Some households probably do have that much debt, between home loans, student loans, and auto loans. A balanced budget would be terrible given how much good the U.S. can do while people are basically paying us to take their money as a loan.

Most importantly though, the U.S. government isn't analogous to a loving household of 3-6 people no matter how much anyone tries to aw shucks folksy common sense justify it. Households don't deal with international trade, have standing armies, fund research and development, go into space and maintain a set of satellites that make smart phones useful, construct and maintain a national transportation and energy system, provide for the needs of millions of sick and disabled and impoverished individuals, set safety regulations on products, maintain a set of national parks and museums, provide law enforcement and emergency services particularly in times of crisis or disaster, etc. etc. You could try to make analogues for all of these but it strains the concept of reality and makes the exercise pointless and useless in the extreme.

It's even more ludicrous than comparing a household's financial needs to a 5 year olds "budget", and no sane person would suggest we run a household based on the way a 5 year old spends birthday money and allowance on toys and candy. Maybe just discuss the U.S. government on the terms of a national government instead.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The good news is that over the next four years, this family is in much better shape.

They're pulling in $30,210 a year now, because economic conditions have improved so Mom is getting better commissions at work and Dad is pulling in more tips.
Their budget is at around $35,060 a year which means $4,840 more debt on their 0% credit card per year.

I'm not saying that a balanced budget is desirable here, because a significant portion of their budget is spent on important things. But, if they really wanted to do that, Mom is spending like $6,000 on home security systems a year, which isn't too crazy because it's a dangerous neighborhood, but there's probably some waste.

Also, for years, Mom has been begging her boss to lower her commissions, and Dad has voluntarily taken pay cuts. Maybe we can stop doing that.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Balancing the budget requires... sacrifices. And no one will vote for sacrifices so that things can get better a few generations from now. They would rather borrow money now and let that generation pay for it. Like their own ancestors did.

Actually the whole idea of people born into debt is maddening. Especially with old people complaining about lazy youth and how they "built this country"

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 3, 2016

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Was the Clintobma in the Fiend Folio or something?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Stallion Cabana posted:

who the gently caress is Clint O. Obma

A liers, that's who.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

https://www.facebook.com/Stonekettle/posts/1084172264951509

This dude has a cool response to the whole Kapaernick scandal. Use it as needed for your veteran concern trolls.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zephyrine posted:

Balancing the budget requires... sacrifices. And no one will vote for sacrifices so that things can get better a few generations from now. They would rather borrow money now and let that generation pay for it. Like their own ancestors did.

Actually the whole idea of people born into debt is maddening. Especially with old people complaining about lazy youth and how they "built this country"

The crazy part is that we might end up needing to continue to borrow money and just keep huge cash reserves if we balanced the budget.

People would go loving nuts.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

https://www.facebook.com/Stonekettle/posts/1084172264951509

This dude has a cool response to the whole Kapaernick scandal. Use it as needed for your veteran concern trolls.

I've seen this one getting thrown around today.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Holy false equivalence.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Welcome everyone to Extremely Pissed Off Right Winger Weekend, Colin Kaepernick edition

It begins. EPROW was so pissed off at Colin Kaepernick this week that they barely had time to be pissed off at Obama. That's saying something.

Privilege

Uncle Sam says "screw you and your free speech"

gosh I hope Kaep's parents weren't going around shooting unarmed black people and getting away with it. That would be messed up

That's funny, you'd be calling her a thug welfare peasant any other week

stand when we tell you boy or we will ruin you

how'd this get in here

This is like a cliffs notes to the Kaep backlash in one macro
- if you're rich you can't criticize the US
- if you're rich you're privileged and you can't criticize the US
- he hates America
- no U RACIST!

An old EPORW favorite, seemed relevant

There were literally a dozen of these, people DESTROYING Kaep with their stupid take on him sitting down.

hm yes let's hear the opinion of Convicted War Criminal Allen West (tm) on the matter of what is or is not appropriate to do (bonus NO U RACIST)

apparently freedom of speech is just for people who love america

butthurt

Thanks for placing your life on the line for freedom to sit in protest--STFU TRAITOR QB OMG

MAD ABOUT WORDS IN AMERICA PLACE FOOTBALL MONEY RENDIBLE ON YOU SAUSAGE MOUNTAIN
(remember the name reginald palmer. he is a rising star)

a version of this posted earlier in the week maintained clickbait format, but apparently the word MUSLIM trumps all as a conduit for EPORW clicks

"I wish to violently injure people who exercise their right to free speech"

wow if you're sick imagine how black people must feel to be doing all this protesting

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

dont stop im so close

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010

Defenestration posted:

Welcome everyone to Extremely Pissed Off Right Winger Weekend, Colin Kaepernick edition

Privilege

how'd this get in here

:irony:

Defenestration posted:

wow if you're sick imagine how black people must feel to be doing all this protesting

So. Much. Artifacting. "Lawlessness?" Like committing extrajudicial murder and then having your friends at the DA's office acquit you? Or self-harming, and then filing a false police report stating a black person assaulted you? "Riots?" Like Woodstock '99? Or that pumpkin festival? Or when your team won the championship? "The threats and demands?" Like the ones you issued to Colin Kaepernick just this past week? Or to Gabrielle Douglas last month? Or to the President and First Lady? I can keep this going for a long time.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Defenestration posted:

Yeah, I seriously got a gentleman yesterday who said that he was tired of this narrative of black oppression, that he's gotten sick of hearing about it. I also just pointed out that this will continue as long as black people are oppressed, however bored he may be.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
If I recall correctly, nobody really gave a poo poo about the whole "Tebowing" thing. In fact, wasn't it a meme for a bit on vine or something?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I can't think of anyone who was genuinely upset over the Tebowing thing, most people either thought it was really silly or merely pointed out the hypocrisy given the verse where Jesus says not to make a big show out of prayer. The only time I think people were slightly irritated is when Husain Abdullah got a pick six off Tom Brady and bowed for a Muslim prayer, and was flagged for it. Even then, people weren't really upset at Tebowing itself, but more the fact that it was seen as wrong of the NFL to allow one religious celebration but not another (the next morning, the league stated he should not have been flagged, and that Abdullah would not be fined, the issue was apparently that he slid a little before he bowed, and the ref viewed that as a violation of the rule that the ground cannot be used in touchdown celebrations).

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

there's rules for touchdown celebrations?

these teams should be strapping fireworks to their players helmets and launching drone eagles from the stadium roof, not restricting things.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Touchdowns turned into dance numbers that turned into shows of their own. So the NFL said "knock that poo poo off" (we've got commercials to sell).

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

ZDar Fan posted:

Where does it translate the assets of the country into the family's savings. Or that the "family" consists of a single entity that has existed for over two centuries and will never retire.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Touchdowns turned into dance numbers that turned into shows of their own. So the NFL said "knock that poo poo off" (we've got commercials to sell).

Excessive celebrations turn to taunts turn to fights turn to bench-clearing brawls. A classic example of the situations the league is trying to avoid is Terrell Owens putting the ball in the center of the Dallas Star logo. It started as a somewhat excessive celebration and over the course the game each touchdown escalated until finally punches were being thrown.

They certainly could Institute punishment for punching your co-workers similar to other jobs, and that's where the money comes in because they don't want to risk losing their volatile but otherwise highly skilled and money attracting players.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"If carrying a gun is a protected right then so is shooting someone who is carrying a gun." :downs:

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

admit that it's about power fantasies

the hills are alive with the sound of bazooka fire

murder murder murder

u fat

I thought you locked your door and cowered with your guns because the people outside are all trying to kill you

Guns: the cause of and solution to all life's problems /homer

It's true because my parents would have murdered me. That would have taught me respect

bash people in the head with a chair. yep, I'm a responsible gun owner

Reginald!

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer
And also, new month, new list of horrifying ways we shot each other last month

https://www.facebook.com/ParentsAgainstGunViolence/photos/a.416647195073938.95672.413407645397893/1131857250219592/?type=3&theater

quote:

Here are a few of the reasons people shot people last month, summarized in the first-person voice. As always, we have provided links to news articles documenting every single incident. Expand the text of this caption for sources.

My husband was yelling at me so loudly that the neighbors could hear. It was embarrassing, so I shot him. (PA, 8/4)
http://wnep.com/2016/08/05/troopers-wife-shot-husband-at-kitchen-table/

I was taking a nap when I heard someone coming into my house, so I shot them. It was my 11-year-old daughter. (TN , 8/8)
http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/sumner/hendersonville/2016/08/08/child-shot-hendersonville/88424374/

I heard a noise in the garage, so I shot it. It was my husband. (FL, 8/4)
http://okeechobeenews.net/crime/frightened-noise-garage-okeechobee-woman-77-accidentally-shoots-husband-76/#.V6s1mkk71-d.facebook

I teaching a shooting class, demonstrating a shoot/don’t shoot drill. I got confused and shot one of my students. She died. (FL, 8/9)
http://www.winknews.com/2016/08/09/developing-pgpd-reports-incident-at-citizens-academy/

After an all-day wine tasting, my wife and I went home to our home on Merlot Drive (yes, really). I decided this would be a good time to teach her how my gun works, but I shot her by mistake. (PA, 8/10)
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/bethlehem/index.ssf/2016/08/cops_bethlehem_twp_shooter_was.html

I tweeted about wanting to kill my roommate. Then I tweeted about how I wanted a gun. Then I tweeted about how gun control is stupid. Then I tweeted about how easy it was for me to buy a gun. Then I shot and killed my roommate. (AZ, 8/21)
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/22/man-tweeted-he-d-viciously-murder-his-roommate-cops-say-he-did.html

I was training my wife how to react if someone attacked her with a gun. I pointed my gun at her and told her to grab it. When she did, I shot her in the head. (CO, 8/25)
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/crime/buckley-airman-shoots-wife-dead-in-aurora-says-he-was-playing-with-handgun

I was comparing handguns with my brother-in-law. I unintentionally fired mine. He died. (TX, 8/28)
http://www.12newsnow.com/news/local/woodville-man-killed-by-brother-in-law-in-accidental-shooting/310566032

Some guy didn’t hold the door open for my lady friend at McDonald’s, which seemed disrespectful, so I shot him dead. (NV, 8/27)
http://cbs6albany.com/news/nation-world/man-shot-and-killed-for-not-holding-the-door-open-for-woman

The dean of the medical school fired me from my faculty position, so I shot him. (NY, 8/29)
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/3...Fm.facebook.com

Repeal the second amendment

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm ashamed that I laughed at that wine-tasting one.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005

At least the gun matches her cute little cocktail dress.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Defenestration posted:

And also, new month, new list of horrifying ways we shot each other last month

https://www.facebook.com/ParentsAgainstGunViolence/photos/a.416647195073938.95672.413407645397893/1131857250219592/?type=3&theater

Repeal the second amendment

"But I'm too smart for anything like that to happen to me!" -What every single one of those morons said before something like that happening to them.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I think 'I shot and killed one of my students while trying to demonstrate when not to shoot people' deserves a stronger word than goofed, personally.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Defenestration posted:

I thought you locked your door and cowered with your guns because the people outside are all trying to kill you

I lock my door because I don't want my stuff jacked by an opportunistic burglar, which is way more likely than being the victim of a murderous home invasion out of the nightmarish fantasies of some paranoid nut job who's watched too many Death Wish movies.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I lock my door because I don't want my stuff jacked by an opportunistic burglar, which is way more likely than being the victim of a murderous home invasion out of the nightmarish fantasies of some paranoid nut job who's watched too many Death Wish movies.

Generally, you're unlikely to be the victim of a home invasion unless the home invaders have reason to believe that you have extremely valuable stuff inside, possibly protected by safes that they'll need you to open.

So, probably want to avoid putting up signs in your yard or on your car that advertise that.

Bad news for members of the American Numismatic Association. I know you're really into collecting rare coins and stuff, but your bumper sticker just advertises to criminals that your house is a treasure chest full of easily pawned goodies.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Who What Now posted:

"But I'm too smart for anything like that to happen to me!" -What every single one of those morons said before something like that happening to them.

An actual quote I've seen is, "I've sat with my gun all afternoon and it never loaded itself and shot me."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

V-Men posted:

An actual quote I've seen is, "I've sat with my gun all afternoon and it never loaded itself and shot me."

Hell that's an entire FWD: message.

quote:

Yesterday I placed my shotgun on the front porch, gave it six shells, and noticing it had no legs, placed it in a wheelchair to help it get around. I left it alone and went about my business.

While I was gone, the mailman delivered my mail, the boy across the street picked up my yard, a girl walked her dog down the street, and quite a few cars stopped at the stop sign near my house.

After 10 hours, I checked on the shotgun. It was still sitting in the wheelchair. It had not rolled outside and It had not killed anyone in spite of many opportunities that had been presented. It had not even loaded itself.

Can you imagine how surprised I was with all the hype about how dangerous guns are and how they kill people? Either the media is wrong and the killing is by people misusing guns or I'm in possession of the laziest gun in the world. So now I'm off to check on my spoons, because I hear they make people fat.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Even in a dumb, didn't-happen hypothetical, that guy didn't leave his unattended gun loaded. I like that guy, and the gun regulations we need shouldn't keep them out of the hands of responsible gun-owners like him.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I agree, responsible gun owners frequently leave their guns and ammunition within easy reach of children.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I took the line "hadn't rolled outside" to mean he had an enclosed porch.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Prism posted:

I think 'I shot and killed one of my students while trying to demonstrate when not to shoot people' deserves a stronger word than goofed, personally.

Apart from all the death and injury, there's something wonderfully slapstick about so many of these shootings. One has a guy drop a gun, shoot himself in the foot, the bullet goes through his foot, through the floor, and hits a guy in the flat below. It's like a Coen Brothers movie.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Twelve by Pies posted:

I agree, responsible gun owners frequently leave their guns and ammunition within easy reach of children.

There's really no such thing as a "responsible gun owner". Merely a gun owner that hasn't hosed up just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Reminder about two Bundy supporters.

One night they got drunk and one dumb rear end shot the other guy in the face and killed him.