Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Her first fight was 2012 (age of 36). By all accounts she underwent the surgeries in 2006 (age of 30).

An actual expert on the matter (aka not Kaasa, Rogan, Rousey or Mitrione) essentially said that she cleared all barometers and it was no big deal whatsoever unless you were literally just against her being transgender:

quote:

Eric Vilain, director of the Institute For Society And Genetics at UCLA, disagreed, stating in Time magazine that "Male to female transsexuals have significantly less muscle strength and bone density, and higher fat mass, than males". Vilain reviewed Fox's medical records and supported her right to fight as a woman.[2][9]

Vilain, who worked with the Association of Boxing Commissions when they wrote their policy on transgender athletes, was also quoted by Time as saying that, to be licensed, transgender female fighters must undergo complete "surgical anatomical changes ... including external genitalia and gonadectomy" (see sex reassignment surgery) and a minimum of a subsequent two years of hormone replacement therapy, as two years is "the current understanding of the minimum amount of time necessary to obviate male hormone gender related advantages in sports competition". When asked if Fox could, nonetheless, be stronger than her competitors, Vilain replied that it was possible, but noted that "sports is made up of competitors who, by definition, have advantages for all kinds of genetics reasons", and said that it would be discriminatory to treat Fox differently than other athletes with potential genetic advantages.

So yeah time is a factor but it wasn't for her, she followed all the rules and then some. People were just disgusted that 1) a man became a woman and 2) then eventually decided to compete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
It's probably more that most people have no idea how such a transition works physically, hence you having to explain it to a thread full of young presumably more knowledgeable than the average bear people.

I couldn't have told you if it was a month, a year, or 10 years before seeing that post. I doubt the average person had any more idea than that either.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kaasa doesn't know the first thing about MMA other than what he's seen on TEEVEE so he should just stfu.

better yet, take a few moments and consider if he's gonna post something that might cost him money. While he's perfectly entitled to air his opinions, he has to realize that potential employers might not look favorably on him being negative towards transfolk.

That being said, Fallon Fox is cool and good but terrible at fighting. Anyone with a decent camp and access to her one televised loss can steamroll her.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

Her first fight was 2012 (age of 36). By all accounts she underwent the surgeries in 2006 (age of 30).

An actual expert on the matter (aka not Kaasa, Rogan, Rousey or Mitrione) essentially said that she cleared all barometers and it was no big deal whatsoever unless you were literally just against her being transgender:

So yeah time is a factor but it wasn't for her, she followed all the rules and then some. People were just disgusted that 1) a man became a woman and 2) then eventually decided to compete

Good on her then.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

It's probably more that most people have no idea how such a transition works physically, hence you having to explain it to a thread full of young presumably more knowledgeable than the average bear people.

I couldn't have told you if it was a month, a year, or 10 years before seeing that post. I doubt the average person had any more idea than that either.

This is also a good point.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah I mean, it's not like anyone is moving to ban cis women with PCOS from MMA, so letting trans women fight seems totally reasonable to me.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
People need to get over the "confused" myth first and foremost. Every trans person I know is 100% sure and has never looked back. Obviously some do, but we're talking a small minority out of an already small minority.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

People need to get over the "confused" myth first and foremost. Every trans person I know is 100% sure and has never looked back. Obviously some do, but we're talking a small minority out of an already small minority.

Yeah. As a person who obviously doesn't know until they're out, sometimes I go "wait huhhhhhhh? :psyduck:" when I first find out including a not-quite-ex who is now a trans-man but just because I have a moment of surprise doesn't mean they're not certain.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
One of my favourite statistics is that a greater percentage of people regret chemotherapy than transition.

You know, chemotherapy. That thing that kills cancer.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TinTower posted:

One of my favourite statistics is that a greater percentage of people regret chemotherapy than transition.

A lot of the time it doesn't but still makes the end of your life extremely miserable. Makes sense.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

sticklefifer posted:

As a trans woman I wanna affirm this but layer one little nuance onto it: I think it's pretty accurate (if misleading without context) to describe some trans people as "confused", in that, especially before the major shift in public information and understanding that's happened in the last few years, it could often be pretty difficult for someone without a ready support system to figure out what they were actually going through. Like, if you were a trans woman who grew up in let's say the 80's and 90's, and weren't part of an active queer community, you had maybe a few scattered news stories and goofy-rear end media portrayals to go by

So if your own experiences didn't match up completely with what was in those limited portrayals, you might come away with a sense of "Okay, so I know I feel more comfortable with feminine presentation and interests that are more catered to girls, but does that mean I'm... transgender? A cross-dresser? Gay? Just a straight guy who's much more interested in women's fashion than sports?"

And like, our understanding of gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, all of that is still pretty spotty and constantly evolving. It's much easier now than it was 10 years ago to ask the relevant questions and get good answers without fear of consequences, but because it's all so drat complicated and the advances in sociological understanding are in some ways making it more complicated, I feel like it's still completely reasonable for a trans person to be confused as poo poo until later in life

Anyway, this has been a lovely derail and I really appreciate the points of view that you've all been putting forward

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like to think of trans people as beetles. I'm like "hey what are these" but they don't bother me and they have a shiny carapace. Plus sometimes I call them junebugs?

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I like to think of trans people as beetles. I'm like "hey what are these" but they don't bother me and they have a shiny carapace. Plus sometimes I call them junebugs?

Did Trump say this recently?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I had to cut down my favorite tree because it had invasive Asian longhorn trans people

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I like to think of trans people as beetles.

Extremely popular in the 60s and 70s but now half of them are dead and only the lame ones are left?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Extremely popular in the 60s and 70s but now half of them are dead and only the lame ones are left?

Hey, Ringo's cool!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

Do you have a source for that? I'd genuinely like to read where that comes from.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brock Lesnar posted:

I had to cut down my favorite tree because it had invasive Asian longhorn trans people
can you give me the number to that tree

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/VivaLaRooney/status/773192641387360256

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lmao

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahahahaha

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hey be nice. He works in a bank AND owns his own car!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this dude for wwe champ

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Wait, did Rollins seriously have another leak?

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Glamorama26 posted:

Wait, did Rollins seriously have another leak?

No face or dong in the photos this time, but he still doesn't have the finesse for sexting. So technically, yes.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Is his idea of sexy talk still to go "I hate my life and everything about it?"

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Kid owns

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

*skateboards by* "gender is a social construct"

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Ostentatious posted:

*skateboards by* "gender is a social construct"

Someone has been reading my Johny Ace fan fiction.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

How does one win a hotdog collar match?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He already yanked OP's chain by convincing them he's a good wrestler, though

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Whoever gets probated first loses

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

WrasslorMonkey posted:

eat 20 feet of hot dogs

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The chain and collars are made of hot dogs and you eat your way to the other person and then kiss in the middle like Lady and the Tramp.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
everyone wins

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I dunno, I'm not kissing someone with a chain's worth of hot dogs in their mouth.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
That sounds a little homophobic to me.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

projecthalaxy posted:

eat 20 feet of hot dogs

I'm in

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

The_Rob posted:

That sounds a little homophobic to me.

Look, if your man can't even bother to make the chain out of all-beef franks is he even worth making out with? Nothing homophobic about demanding better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SomeMathGuy posted:

Look, if your man can't even bother to make the chain out of all-beef franks is he even worth making out with? Nothing homophobic about demanding better.

The all beef frank comes later :wink: