Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
How does one born of the purple go about breaking up the Abassid megablob?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Groogy posted:

Could be a bug, could be meant that it disabled achievements if you have it completely disabled.
Nope, it's only disabled with the "player only" setting. Both allow entirely and disallow entirely permit achievements. Pretty easy to check out.

Also: Are prepared invasions working for other people? I started a game as hasteining, and started preparing an invasion on West Francia, but I had zero events for troops showing up. Not one.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

GreenMarine posted:

How does one born of the purple go about breaking up the Abassid megablob?

Murder their troops using excessive mercenary spam while they are under shia revolts/decadence revolts. Both are basically inevitable with the Abbasids.

Bonus points for assassinating the Caliph so his 2 year old son takes over at the same time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Satt best að segja er langbesta Súnista leikurinn minn þar sem einn af undirmönnum mínum í Úígur-veldinu varð Súnisti þegar hann var málaliði og ég skipti yfir í trúarbrögðin með honum.

Það tekur andskoti margar tilraunir að ná góðum leik sem Súnistarnir, sérstaklega eftir Horse Lords, því að nú eru engir aðrir nálægir tribals til þess að taka yfir; þeir leyfðu undirmönnum þínum að brenna niður múslimana og hækka Moral Authority þannig.

Svo lengi sem þú tekur yfir nóg land nógu og fljótt, grípur þriðja heilaga staðinn í Indlandi með fölsku claim nógu og fljótt og byggir nokkur musteri er þetta vel mögulegt. Ef þú tekur Kabul og eitt hérað af litla búddistanum hliðan þér getur þú rænt af þeim duchy-inu og þá getur þú tekið yfir nokkur í einu.

Bara muna að alltaf vera að sleikja upp við kalífan; hann er lang, lang stærsta ógnin. Ef þú getur gifst inní steppuþjóð samt er það helvíti góður leikur oft samt; þeir elska það að hjálpa gegn kalífanum.

Vad i helvete?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Strudel Man posted:

You know what game rule doesn't make sense to me? Pagan reformation. Achievements are enabled both with pagan reformation allowed and disallowed...but they're disabled if you set pagan reformation to players only, and for the life of me I can't figure out how that setting would make so much of a difference.

If you make it a special point that YOU will be the only tribal that ever reforms and gains those advantages, then yeah, even though that's not a huge change from the ordinary state of play where nobody but the player DOES reform, foreclosing the possibility entirely to the advantage of a tribal player (because otherwise why not disallow entirely?) is still the sort of thing I would expect Paradox disabling achievements for (assuming you accept the validity of limiting achievements to close-to-baseline games at all, mind you).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Nope, it's only disabled with the "player only" setting. Both allow entirely and disallow entirely permit achievements. Pretty easy to check out.

Also: Are prepared invasions working for other people? I started a game as hasteining, and started preparing an invasion on West Francia, but I had zero events for troops showing up. Not one.

In my current game the King of Danmark just successfully invaded England, and showed up with enough troops that I'm pretty sure he had the event fire for him a few times.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Vad i helvete?
Lol if you play norse but can't read it

Unless you're asking about that specific strategy, in which I'd just like to add I'm still annoyed that Zunists can subjugate pagans when there are literally no pagans close enough to subjugate

Strudel Man posted:

Could be bad luck, could be that you had more troops than he did already; that does tend to stop the event from firing, or so it felt like, usually.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

SeaTard posted:

In my current game the King of Danmark just successfully invaded England, and showed up with enough troops that I'm pretty sure he had the event fire for him a few times.

Was his name Cnut?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Dont the indian religions count as pagan?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Lol if you play norse but can't read it

I can read Swedish :shrug:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I am un... CHEVAL... Andalusian.

Wanna grow... Up to be... Be a horse ruler.

Anyway, Groogy, what is/was (?) your role with Paradox? Were you on the audio team?

If so, I would looooooove to pick your brain/talk shop with you. :allears:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

If you make it a special point that YOU will be the only tribal that ever reforms and gains those advantages, then yeah, even though that's not a huge change from the ordinary state of play where nobody but the player DOES reform, foreclosing the possibility entirely to the advantage of a tribal player (because otherwise why not disallow entirely?) is still the sort of thing I would expect Paradox disabling achievements for (assuming you accept the validity of limiting achievements to close-to-baseline games at all, mind you).

I dunno, I see a lot of AI Pagan reform. In my long-running Roman Empire game the Slavic religion reformed in about 900 or so and the Germanic religion is just on the cusp of doing so.

Probably helps that their typical foes (Byzantium and Francia) have been busy beating each other into the ground for the last 120 years.

War-chaining to avoid coalitions is really annoying but hey, this is the last time I'll ever have to do it since I can turn off coalitions going forward.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

widespread posted:

Why is the blood eagle not an execution or am I just missing it.

You're missing it, it's in. Only Norse (reformed or not) characters can do it, and it has what looks like the standard likelihood of happening by default, with the odds increased by a factor of two for Cruel, same for Wroth, and by a factor of five if you're rivals with the target. So be an rear end in a top hat Norseman and execute a person you hate and they're probably getting blood eagled.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Could be bad luck, could be that you had more troops than he did already; that does tend to stop the event from firing, or so it felt like, usually.
There's diminishing likelihood of firing as relative power increases - 1/2 when twice as powerful, net 1/8th when three times, and it's foreclosed entirely at 4x. But Haesteining at the Viking start begins with only ~3k to West Francia's ~5.3k, so that shouldn't be it.

Can't be bad luck, either. There's 24 chances for the events to happen over the two-year preparation period, and I've also tried more than once. Not a single soldier. Something's up, but heck if I know what.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 5, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

I can read Swedish :shrug:
you might as well be speaking danish or german for how close it is to norse~

Strudel Man posted:

There's diminishing likelihood of firing as relative power increases - 1/2 when twice as powerful, net 1/8th when three times, and it's foreclosed entirely at 4x. But Haesteining at the Viking start begins with only ~3k to West Francia's ~5.3k, so that shouldn't be it.

Can't be bad luck, either. There's 24 chances for the events to happen over the two-year preparation period, and I've also tried more than once. Not a single soldier. Something's up, but heck if I know what.
When did you last sacrifice to the gods Strudel Man? Could be that, maybe you need to go to the local goat dispensary

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

When did you last sacrifice to the gods Strudel Man? Could be that, maybe you need to go to the local goat dispensary
It's been a while. Unfortunately, my dungeon's about empty.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
How do you eat people as a cannibal? Besides the initial food shortage event. Like it really sucks to be the Satanic Immortal Pirate Queen and not be able to eat people.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
A friend of mine had this happen to him:

Lunatic continues to be the best trait in the game. :allears:

(Unfortunately, his king died like five seconds after, so he never got to see Horse M.D. work his magic :negative:)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How do you guys decide on what to play when starting a new game. I just picked up the latest DLCs in the sale and now I'm staring at the map and feeling a slight lack of direction/inspiration.

I was thinking of either restarting my welsh game (form Wales and do my best to ensure an independent Wales), start as a French count and try to cloak&dagger my way to something of measure, or maybe Viking it up.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Schizotek posted:

How do you eat people as a cannibal? Besides the initial food shortage event. Like it really sucks to be the Satanic Immortal Pirate Queen and not be able to eat people.

Are you a Lunatic Satanic Immortal Pirate Queen?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I random.org a number 1-20 and click random leader that many times.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

So here's a conundrum... I have built up a very strong Zoroastrian Persian Empire and I'm steadily pushing west. My first Crusade Great Holy War against the Abbasids was a success and they're no longer a threat. Thirty years later, the next GHW is called and it's for Greece. I'm stronger than the Byzantines and can definitely win, but is it worth it? This basically guarantees a Catholic crusade against me immediately afterwards and then every 30 years, right? According to the wiki, Greece has twice the likelihood of being a crusade target than every other non-christian realm put together.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Various Meat Products posted:

So here's a conundrum... I have built up a very strong Zoroastrian Persian Empire and I'm steadily pushing west. My first Crusade Great Holy War against the Abbasids was a success and they're no longer a threat. Thirty years later, the next GHW is called and it's for Greece. I'm stronger than the Byzantines and can definitely win, but is it worth it? This basically guarantees a Catholic crusade against me immediately afterwards and then every 30 years, right? According to the wiki, Greece has twice the likelihood of being a crusade target than every other non-christian realm put together.

More dead Christians means more vengeance for their aggression leaving Persia too weak to resist Islam in the first place. Take the place and turn the whole region into an armed camp.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How do you guys decide on what to play when starting a new game. I just picked up the latest DLCs in the sale and now I'm staring at the map and feeling a slight lack of direction/inspiration.

I was thinking of either restarting my welsh game (form Wales and do my best to ensure an independent Wales), start as a French count and try to cloak&dagger my way to something of measure, or maybe Viking it up.

My current game was me on a whim deciding to be a duke of the Holy Roman Empire and trying to expand my power entirely through marriage shenanigans. Then after two generations I got elected emperor and currently I'm the independent king of Jerusalem.

Sometimes it's fun to just start as some nobody and see what happens.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

By the way, is playing Ironman still a bad idea? How buggy are things these days?

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

By the way, is playing Ironman still a bad idea? How buggy are things these days?

Ironman is the only way to play. Works fine now, though I've never really had a problem with it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
And speaking of ironman, a number of the achievements give you decent goals for what to try to accomplish (and hence give you some idea of what to play).

For example, have you tried playing as Saxony and conquering England?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Galaga Galaxian posted:

ironman is only risky before a patch or expansion otherwise always and forever ironman

(except me i get too scared of "losing" so i play babby mode)

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
CK2 bleeding into real life. Saw this on Yahoo Fantasy and was like, "WTF how did they know he's depressed"

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

You know, it occurs to me that the Pope probably can't call a crusade against you if he's your vassal...

:getin:

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Various Meat Products posted:

This happened to me in an old game and I was dreading fighting a Crusade against all of Europe...except I found that quickly crushing the Papal troops and assaulting Roman holdings brought my war score to 100% almost immediately. This only works if you can bring an overwhelming force to Rome, mind, but it let me know that Crusades were not to be feared.

What really sucked was playing a Cathar game, capturing Rome, and eventually making Catholicism irrelevant, which meant that the Pope's Crusades for Italy involved me sitting around for 10 years until the war score creeped up to 100% because there were no troops to fight or holdings to seize.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

verbal enema posted:

ironman is only risky before a patch or expansion otherwise always and forever ironman

(except me i get too scared of "losing" so i play babby mode)

This game's been out for years and I just started my first actual ironman game. 100 years in (Charlemagne start Wessex) my thoughts are mostly STOP HAVING DAUGHTERS YOU gently caress YOU'RE DOWN TO 1 HEIR

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

My king had the flu and as a "cure", my court physician drugged him and cut his dick off. What the gently caress CK2

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Swedish Horror posted:

My king had the flu and as a "cure", my court physician drugged him and cut his dick off. What the gently caress CK2

Did it work?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Swedish Horror posted:

My king had a headache and the court physician thought it was cancer. He held him upside down for a while and my headache got better. No cancer. :shrug:

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

My physician tried to cure my gout by making me an eunuch. It didn't work. After imprisoning him, I summoned in my new physician who cured my gout immediately. Less than a year later, Satan restored my manhood.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Yes, and I'm not sure if it was related but the immortality event fired soon after so now I have an immortal eunuch king.

e: oh and I executed the court physician by sawing him in half.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The game now runs faster than I have ever seen it, even pre-india, it's insane. Saving takes like <15 seconds and I'm on a dinky rear end laptop.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
If you annex rome as the byzantines what do the catholics do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Swedish Horror posted:

Yes, and I'm not sure if it was related but the immortality event fired soon after so now I have an immortal eunuch king.

e: oh and I executed the court physician by sawing him in half.

Pull a Leto and just hire a babe with loose morals to sire your "sons".

• Locked thread