Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jamesman posted:

Uhhh he had the best quips?

https://youtu.be/yeAU1WmZHX0

Yeah and he called Macho Man gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

He couldn't even get the most memorable line in his own movie.

Which of course is BONESAW IS READY

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Away all Goats posted:

He couldn't even get the most memorable line in his own movie.

Which of course is BONESAW IS READY

I think it was the SHH Forums back in the day that were all about the "I kid you not" guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCFIyQKXjV8

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I always enjoyed the fat kid who's a terrible actor in the background of the Flash/Peter fight, because I recognized him as being the fat kid with a tuba from this Simple Plan music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GOR5gvQwDI&t=99s

If you pay attention to him he's loving terrible at emoting that he's excited to see the bully get beat up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I always enjoyed the fat kid who's a terrible actor in the background of the Flash/Peter fight, because I recognized him as being the fat kid with a tuba from this Simple Plan music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GOR5gvQwDI&t=99s

If you pay attention to him he's loving terrible at emoting that he's excited to see the bully get beat up.

He's shown up in other stuff, and yeah every time I recognize him from being that kid at Peter's school. Same with the guy who killed Uncle Ben - dude's always going to be Uncle Ben's killer to me.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Thomas Haden Church?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I think he means Joey Fatone.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

hiddenriverninja posted:

I think he means Joey Fatone.

the most unfortunate NSYNC member name

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I had a thought while reading the GBS comic discussion thread, where they're currently on about the difference between DC and Marvel.

Could Marvel partitioning off parts of their IP during the bankruptcy days actually have been a good thing? As far as I can tell Spider Man, the X Men, and the Fantastic Four went to other places to develop, leaving Marvel with the rest. Would they have been as successful with access to those marquee characters, or did the fact that they might have had to work around their lack make the resulting movies maybe a bit more obscure, but possibly better? I'm thinking if they had Spider Man, Fantastic Four, and X Men there's no way that movies like Guardians, Ant Man, or even Thor possibly get made. And that would be a Bad Thing I think.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If they didn't, though, the MCU would have started in the early 2000s and we'd probably be getting to Guardians etc. right around when they came out irl. It was never going to happen because Marvel making their own movies was just never a realistic possibility at the time and they desperately needed the early 2000 movies made, but if not for the circumstances I think a unified MCU would be better.

Certainly, it'd mean the X-Men would be in a better place.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's definitely a factor. Even the frontrunner Iron Man wasn't really a thing in public consciousness before the movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder with Jackman retiring from Wolverine, it means Fox will take X-men in a new direction.

Uh not to mention the failure of Apocalypse, though I hope this doesn't mean they'll be tossing the kids, because that was by far the best part of the movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder with Jackman retiring from Wolverine, it means Fox will take X-men in a new direction.

Uh not to mention the failure of Apocalypse, though I hope this doesn't mean they'll be tossing the kids, because that was by far the best part of the movie.

They really wanted Tatum's Gambit to be their new focal character but is sounds like he didn't want to sign on for 18 films.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Which sucks because I was majorly looking forward to the Gambit movie and, as I have argued before, think Gambit could be a good lead character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Which sucks because I was majorly looking forward to the Gambit movie and, as I have argued before, think Gambit could be a good lead character.

They should have just made the one he originally agreed on but the rumor mill says they tried to strong arm him into seriously 12 movies or more.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

WickedHate posted:

Gambit could be a good lead character.

I am very curious as to why you think that, because I've never seen that be true.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

I am very curious as to why you think that, because I've never seen that be true.

It not you, it Gambit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

They should have just made the one he originally agreed on but the rumor mill says they tried to strong arm him into seriously 12 movies or more.

Can't blame him for bailing if that's true, screw that.

I bet his Cajun accent would've been hilariously terrible though

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Which I totally understand is lovely of Fox and really wrecked any hope of a big screen Gambit.

SonicRulez posted:

He's got a lot of Weapon X-esque mystery about him and is, depending on if you interpret him as a dumb joke or take him at face value, is a charming, suave kinda guy with veteran x-status. The perfect devil may care free spirit audiences love.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Can't blame him for bailing if that's true, screw that.

I bet his Cajun accent would've been hilariously terrible though

Dude's supposedly got a Gambit tattoo, I bet he's been practicing that accent since 1992.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think, creatively (and probably commercially) speaking, Marvel selling off mutant rights has only helped their MCU. Look at how little money FOX makes in comparison to DC and Marvel, and consider that Marvel turned the group of also-ran Justice League knockoffs that were pre-Bendis Avengers into one of the highest grossing movie franchises ever. With mutant access, we'd have Iron Man checking in with Xavier every other loving minute, Wolverine would be in every goddamn movie bubbing up a storm, and every single team movie would've been some variation of an iconic X-Men story. It would've been overbearing.

I think, on the other hand, the FF/Spider-Man selloffs were unequivocal mistakes for Marvel, especially the former since the latter's basically back with them at this point.

twistedmentat posted:

There's already been an announced New Mutants movie with writers, director, and lineup, so yes. Assuming they don't shoehorn Mystique and Xavier and Magneto bullshit in.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Dude's supposedly got a Gambit tattoo, I bet he's been practicing that accent since 1992.

Whaaaaaaaaat

That's crazy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You can say that now but if not for those film deals Marvel would literally have ceased to be. Those deals gave them a massive influx of operating capitol that allowed them to get the company back on track.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

site posted:

Whaaaaaaaaat

That's crazy

Cage has a Ghost Rider tattoo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

WickedHate posted:

Cage has a Ghost Rider tattoo.

This one I believe just because Nick Cage is fuckin' bonkers

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

You can say that now but if not for those film deals Marvel would literally have ceased to be. Those deals gave them a massive influx of operating capitol that allowed them to get the company back on track.

Oh, no doubt, they were absolutely necessary, but I can't imagine Marvel Studios is Real Happy they can't use the fuckin' family that founded Marvel or one of its most iconic villains due to a deal made twenty years ago.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Fantastic Four was never good before Waid and hasn't been after Hickman, so I don't care that much.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

WickedHate posted:

Fantastic Four was never good before Waid and hasn't been after Hickman, so I don't care that much.

Okay this post is maybe the dumbest loving poo poo you've ever posted. And I say this as a guy who considers the Hickman Fantastic Four/FF run my favorite run of comics literally ever.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay, Kirby's is objectively pretty good probably, I'll grant you, but it's so of it's time I can't enjoy it personally.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
For there to be good ff after Hickman there would have to be any ff after Hickman

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

For there to be good ff after Hickman there would have to be any ff after Hickman

There's a little.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

site posted:

Both Fraction and James Robinson had runs after Hickman. He left at 611, the comic was stopped (at SW) at 645.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

WickedHate posted:

I’ve been slowly working my way through the original Fantastic Four series by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and it’s pretty wild.

One story has them going back in time and the Thing creates a stable time loop where he’s Blackbeard.

Johnny reads a comic about Namor, and then basically bumps into him at random, shaves off his beard, and goes “Holy Smokes it’s Namor!”

There was also an issue where Namor returned, bought a movie studio because he was bored, and offered the Fantastic Four 1 million dollars for starring in a movie about them. It was all a ploy to kill them, but when it failed, he payed them the money anyway.

There was also parts where they upgrade the Fantasticar because their “fans” (see: the readers) complained that it looked stupid, and Reed spent a page responding to the readers saying that Invisible Girl isn’t that useless.

Speaking of which, there was literally a part where Invisible Girl forgets she’s invisible, walks into the middle of the street, and nearly gets run over.

My point is that a comic where all of this happens can't be bad, and you are wrong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Lee Kirby run is flawless.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WickedHate posted:

It's amazing how every time I think you've reached your limit of being an unfunny try-hard troll you find a way to go beyond. I mean I thought your Watchmen bullshit was the peak but I guess not.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I appreciate and respect your position, X-O.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean bitching about Lee/Kirby FF is like bitching about Siegel/Shuster Action Comics. Like...you're entitled to not like it, but those runs were so ahead of their time and so heavily creatively blueprinted not only the two respective publishers which now control the vast majority of the comics industry but comics in general, with how Action Comics and Superman basically invented the common language and tropes which all superhero comics now use and Fantastic Four implemented intepersonal drama/serialized character-based storytelling that defines modern-day comics, especially Marvel ones, that saying they suck is either grossly ignorant or the most pointless of hot takes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It being so ahead of it's time is partly why I don't like it, it's only ahead of it's time like, at the time. It's like if you sent a seventies computer to the sixties and then sent the same computer to 2016. It just doesn't work as well imo. But that's honestly just my own impression of it and I know others get more out of it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

There's a little.

:aaaaa:

All this time I thought Hickman's was the last, i could've been reading more ff!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Roth posted:

I’ve been slowly working my way through the original Fantastic Four series by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and it’s pretty wild.

One story has them going back in time and the Thing creates a stable time loop where he’s Blackbeard.

Johnny reads a comic about Namor, and then basically bumps into him at random, shaves off his beard, and goes “Holy Smokes it’s Namor!”

There was also an issue where Namor returned, bought a movie studio because he was bored, and offered the Fantastic Four 1 million dollars for starring in a movie about them. It was all a ploy to kill them, but when it failed, he payed them the money anyway.

There was also parts where they upgrade the Fantasticar because their “fans” (see: the readers) complained that it looked stupid, and Reed spent a page responding to the readers saying that Invisible Girl isn’t that useless.

Speaking of which, there was literally a part where Invisible Girl forgets she’s invisible, walks into the middle of the street, and nearly gets run over.

My point is that a comic where all of this happens can't be bad, and you are wrong.

Kirby Without Words is an interesting discussion of early Marvel Comics (especially the original Fantastic Four run) focusing on how Lee's text sometimes changed this stories told by Kirby's art: http://kirbywithoutwords.tumblr.com/tagged/kirbywithoutwords/chrono

It turns out that Lee was really sexist back in the day, and in general had a tendency to ruin Kirby's interesting ideas.

• Locked thread