Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Aw gently caress, the one with the hairbrush to the right of the sink!? You gotta be loving kidding me.

I think that that was reverted in 9.5.1

I laughed quite hard at that post because it's kind of true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It says something about me or something about Wesp patches that I absolutely believe someone made that complaint on some cesspit of a board.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I don't get why they're including unofficial patches... anyone with experience with that version able to comment on whether it makes certain mods impossible to install?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

All the Alpha Protocol talk on the previous pages made me write up a guide:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=746754159

It's... basically just an edited version of the "before I play" wiki stuff, just moderately improved. But either way, if you haven't played AP before, you should. After reading the guide, obviously.

Fuzz posted:

I don't get why they're including unofficial patches... anyone with experience with that version able to comment on whether it makes certain mods impossible to install?
I think you can't install the other, worse, patch at the same time. That's about it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Fuzz posted:

I don't get why they're including unofficial patches...

Because it's a Troika game. Installing the unofficial patch is the first thing you'd do anyway. :v:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Samuel Clemens posted:

Because it's a Troika game. Installing the unofficial patch is the first thing you'd do anyway. :v:

Except some mods require a specific version of the unofficial, which means you could end up with a newer version that makes the mod incompatible.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Clan Quest Mod is built on an older version of the UP, iirc. Doesn't the UP have an uninstaller, though? I don't remember. Is the patch installed by default or is it just included?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Does GOG have all of 9.5 basic or only some crucial fixes in it? I always thought it's the latter.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've given up on modding the game outside of whatever the stability and fix patch thing is because for some reason I've never been able to figure out, no matter what I do, the mods never get installed. It's always like "Hey, delete all the files, install it fresh, now use this mod installer and you're set" and I do all of that and open up the game and the game isn't modded and it doesn't have the mod version text on the title screen and I'm just like "welp"

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

FirstAidKite posted:

I've given up on modding the game outside of whatever the stability and fix patch thing is because for some reason I've never been able to figure out, no matter what I do, the mods never get installed. It's always like "Hey, delete all the files, install it fresh, now use this mod installer and you're set" and I do all of that and open up the game and the game isn't modded and it doesn't have the mod version text on the title screen and I'm just like "welp"

This might be a stupid suggestion, but if you're using the Steam version and run the game through the Steam launcher without adding something to the command line it'll run the game vanilla. The mod adds a desktop shortcut for the modded game.

Edit: I also think I had to look in the options menu for my mod version

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RichterIX posted:

This might be a stupid suggestion, but if you're using the Steam version and run the game through the Steam launcher without adding something to the command line it'll run the game vanilla. The mod adds a desktop shortcut for the modded game.

Well poo poo, that's what did it

I swear I didn't see anything about doing that in any of the guides I read, but that probably just means I missed those parts :\

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I swear I didn't see anything about doing that in any of the guides I read, but that probably just means I missed those parts :\

Same thing happened to me. I think its a fairly recent change to the patches because I don't ever remember having to worry about that in the pre-9.x patches.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Well I'm up to the point on my first malkavian run where I have to go on board the ship, idk if my save file will work with this now or not since it seems like a grey area, I guess I didn't lose TOO much if I have to start over to make use of the modded stuff

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
in your defense, kite, adding command line switches to activate mods after going through the elaborate song and dance it asks you to go through is a pretty obtuse semantic and i would've been confused, too.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

FirstAidKite posted:

Yup, I did the same thing. I've installed different versions of the mod probably 20 times over the years so I never thought to actually do anything differently the most recent time.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Upmarket Mango posted:

Clan Quest Mod is built on an older version of the UP, iirc. Doesn't the UP have an uninstaller, though? I don't remember. Is the patch installed by default or is it just included?

I have a copy of the GoG version myself and it was pre-installed from what I could tell.

I was kind of hoping to do a run through of it with that installed and then try the clan quest mod since I've never beaten this game before. Can anyone tell me if I'll have to take extra steps to install the CQM when I'm ready?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Crono S. Magnum posted:

I have a copy of the GoG version myself and it was pre-installed from what I could tell.

I was kind of hoping to do a run through of it with that installed and then try the clan quest mod since I've never beaten this game before. Can anyone tell me if I'll have to take extra steps to install the CQM when I'm ready?

The installer for CQM should override and install the appropriate Wesp patch and have options to integrate other compatible mods.

The timed blood counter, (you lose blood with time) actually made it more fun. It makes feeding a regular but not annoying need.

The extra missions range from pretty good to moderately crappy. I didn't play Ventrue, but I think they got La Croix to voice again?

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
So I need help again, though I never did get a solution to the problem with the stripper assassin quest; the framerate started to tank after I reached the nosferatu lair in the sewers and ever since then the game has had a steadily decreasing framerate anytime I have the game running for more than a few minutes that restarts when I close and re-open the game. What the hell is happening and how can I fix it? The bugged quest wasn't that much of a loss but after 10 minutes the game is unplayably slow.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've never heard of such a thing and I'd recommend backing up your saves, completely uninstalling the mod and then the game, then reinstalling completely. Normally I'd say "verify files" but I'm pretty sure that'd break the mod.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Vampyr gamplay video is out. Looks decent but still very rough, especially the animations. Combat system looks very meh in Bloodline's tradition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5uQp2VM5nQ

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You know after Life is Strange's last episode shat the bed and now that we have a very real chance of a Obsidian developed Bloodlines 2, I really don't care about Vampyr nearly as much compared to when it was first announced.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 27, 2016

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hey Goons. Haven't played this game in YEARS but have great memories. Read this thread earlier and caught the bug. Especially after the rumours of Obsidian Vampire:Bloodlines 2. Playing unmodded Steam version. Not even the unofficial patch this playthrough. I'm thinking Tremere as I want to play a condescending and opportunistic prick who will rob you blind. Was a hair away from going Ventrue but remembered Tremere were a ton of fun. Still want to be a snobby prick that prefers to not get his hands dirty. I'm already going to avoid combat when I can and go heavy dominate and thamaturgy. I remember you can go almost non combat. My questions to you goons are:
1) My memory of non com run was a Ventrue if I remember. Could a Tremere do the same? Doesn't have to be completely avoidant of combat... just as much as possible. When combat does come I will do spells and a pistol of some sort.
2) Don't guns mostly blow in this game? Been a LONG time.

I'm not going Malkavian yet or Nosferatu yet. One big reason I'm going Tremere is I remember the Gargoyle was a fun pal so I'm killing him this run while I hardly feel bad.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Guns are poo poo until the late game and even then you have to have invested in them quite a bit.

You can avoid combat about halfway through the game but after that there are literally no other options but to stealth past poo poo (and some you can't) or fight it. Budget, time, etc.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The problem with guns in the early game is less the guns themselves and more that you need about 6 or 7 points in your Ranged feat before it becomes a worthwhile combat option, which is not something you're likely to have before Hollywood. Especially since you want to invest into Stealth and Persuasion if you're going the non-combat route. The Brokk you can get from police officers (and from the vendor Downtown, IIRC) is pretty good, as is the revolver in Hollywood. Once you get 10 Ranged and the Steyr Aug, the rest of the game basically becomes a shooting gallery. The endgame is still kind of a slog, but at least a very easy one.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You should play a toreador if you want to use guns, they basically get to play the matrix with vampires.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Von_Doom posted:

Hey Goons. Haven't played this game in YEARS but have great memories. Read this thread earlier and caught the bug. Especially after the rumours of Obsidian Vampire:Bloodlines 2. Playing unmodded Steam version. Not even the unofficial patch this playthrough. I'm thinking Tremere as I want to play a condescending and opportunistic prick who will rob you blind. Was a hair away from going Ventrue but remembered Tremere were a ton of fun. Still want to be a snobby prick that prefers to not get his hands dirty. I'm already going to avoid combat when I can and go heavy dominate and thamaturgy. I remember you can go almost non combat. My questions to you goons are:
1) My memory of non com run was a Ventrue if I remember. Could a Tremere do the same? Doesn't have to be completely avoidant of combat... just as much as possible. When combat does come I will do spells and a pistol of some sort.
2) Don't guns mostly blow in this game? Been a LONG time.

I'm not going Malkavian yet or Nosferatu yet. One big reason I'm going Tremere is I remember the Gargoyle was a fun pal so I'm killing him this run while I hardly feel bad.

Youll want to at least install the basic version of the patch. Im not saying Bloodlines is unplayable without it, but ive never been able to play it without it. One time i had the game bug out and keep me frozen in place, immediately after talking to jack for the first time in the tutorial .

Guns rip poo poo up but you gotta invest into it a bit before they really start to shine.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

The problem with guns in the early game is less the guns themselves and more that you need about 6 or 7 points in your Ranged feat before it becomes a worthwhile combat option, which is not something you're likely to have before Hollywood. Especially since you want to invest into Stealth and Persuasion if you're going the non-combat route. The Brokk you can get from police officers (and from the vendor Downtown, IIRC) is pretty good, as is the revolver in Hollywood. Once you get 10 Ranged and the Steyr Aug, the rest of the game basically becomes a shooting gallery. The endgame is still kind of a slog, but at least a very easy one.

Yeah Persuasion and Stealth were going to be more my thing at first. Its almost a Ventrue except for I wanted a Wolf of Wall street 80s schmuck vibe to him. I only want guns when he is forced into combat as he doesn't want blood on his new Christian Dior suit. I'm assuming that was big in the 80s. I am sad there is no mod to add the giant 80s cellphone to his attire.

Upmarket Mango posted:

Youll want to at least install the basic version of the patch. Im not saying Bloodlines is unplayable without it, but ive never been able to play it without it. One time i had the game bug out and keep me frozen in place, immediately after talking to jack for the first time in the tutorial .

Guns rip poo poo up but you gotta invest into it a bit before they really start to shine.
Good point. I might do the patch then.

wiegieman posted:

You should play a toreador if you want to use guns, they basically get to play the matrix with vampires.

Tempting as is Gangrel but Tremere I remember being giant opportunistic wankers. I want a terrible person that talks his way into things first (Persuasion and Dominate) then casts spells when that doesn't work out. A giant pistol (something ridiculous like a Desert Eagle or revolver) will be the backup when his preferred options fail. If it were up to me he wouldn't use a pistol but use a giant 80s cellphone to summon goons. If they do a V:B2 and obsidian has anything to do with it, I guarantee that will be an option. Well maybe not an 80s cellphone but yaknow. Next run I might do one of those two if Nosferatu doesn't win. Malkavian will be my third. Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

80s venture capitalists are vampires in all but name, so that sounds like a fitting RP concept.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I played this game way back in the day but more importantly I am accidentally at the Vampire: the Masquerade con in New Orleans this weekend and I'm on the second floor which is apparently where the Various coteries have their nightclub havens or something. It owns. Ask me whatever about being in a hotel overrun with vampires

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How many awkward hookup attempts have you born witness to?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Darth Windu posted:

I played this game way back in the day but more importantly I am accidentally at the Vampire: the Masquerade con in New Orleans this weekend and I'm on the second floor which is apparently where the Various coteries have their nightclub havens or something. It owns. Ask me whatever about being in a hotel overrun with vampires

Have you witnessed any interesting reactions from the regular hotel guests?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Aside from us no...everyone else is kinda like whoa who are these weirdos. Aside from all the fedoras and leather trench coats (in New Orleans at the height of the hottest wettest summer we've ever had?? These people must be inhuman) the funniest thing I've noticed is the huge amount of dudes with canes and no obvious mobility issues.

Overheard some good stuff at the hotel bar tonight like a guy complaining that a chick wouldn't even hold his hand even tho their characters were dating. And a guy loudly yelling "he looked up my WIKI to poo poo talk me!!"

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Are you on a floor with an ice machine?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

For people not following the non-PC game side of things, Paradox announced that the Masquerade RP system is coming back, and that the official lore / canon will be developed, in real time, by LARPers, through social media. The people that Darth Windo is seeing will be steering the ship in a few years. Should be fun.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Oh god Paradox, turn left, this is not a good idea

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

Are you on a floor with an ice machine?

No it's on the next one up?? It's annoying bc they always seem to be having secret vampire meetings by the elevators and today there is a whole section of the floor cordoned off with gauzy hangings and newspaper signs saying "THE END OF THE LINE" and there is a lot of yelling even tho I'm trying to sleep

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

For people not following the non-PC game side of things, Paradox announced that the Masquerade RP system is coming back, and that the official lore / canon will be developed, in real time, by LARPers, through social media. The people that Darth Windo is seeing will be steering the ship in a few years. Should be fun.

Bad idea.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
PLEASE give us minute by minute updates, this seems good.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah, this is a bad idea, but I'll admit I'm all kinds of :unsmigghh: at the prospect. Hopefully they're able to find the few good Vampire LARPers (there have to be some, right? Law of averages and all that) out there in the Viking wilds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
As run-of-the-mill forum nerds, who love Bloodlines and maybe read thr oWOD wiki a few times, would they accept us as fellow Kindred? Or is that not impressive enough? I think that would be enough to talk the talk.

• Locked thread