Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

silentsnack posted:

On the subject of quadrupeds, I was vaguely wondering if there's a mod give Dogmeat (or combat cats) a suit of power armor...

Nope? Just someone who cannot comprehend that the word 'tactical' actually has a meaning other than "emulating the Military Surplus Moron Packmule look."

Dog body armor is a thing that exists, but you're right. Most doggie vests have no pouches or attachment and if there is, it's usually not a pouch but reinforcement for a carry or control handle or a single pouch for medical supplies for the dog in case of injury.

Also, I love how Dogmeat has been getting bigger and bigger with each iteration. At least in Fallout 3, he actually looked like Mad Max's Dogmeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Want a mod that goes the other direction and makes dogmeat a teacup Chihuahua I carry in my shirt pocket like a baby sugar glider.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lotish posted:

Want a mod that goes the other direction and makes dogmeat a teacup Chihuahua I carry in my shirt pocket like a baby sugar glider.

Honestly, I was thinking that there's so many dogs in post-apocalypse apocrypha these days, that they should give you the option to name the Fallout dog a preset name and have it do different things. Like leave it Dogmeat and he's remains like in the other Fallout games, a faithful companion. But, choose Blood, like from "A Boy And His Dog", and he's psychic and talks back to you and does things like psionic attacks or sense approaching enemies that Dogmeat can't do. Or name him Rover and well... :/

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Man, the list of real-world dog names that just result in tragedy would be a mile long. It would be the most evil mod ever created.

Do it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The mod that turns dogmeat into a radroach is the only good fo4 mod

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

It's weird that there's a purebred German shepherd in post-apocalyptic Boston, unless the American Kennel Club survived somehow, but whatever.

So why not have a gorilla instead?

(Pet gorillas are lore-friendly, look it up).

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It's weird that there's a purebred German shepherd in post-apocalyptic Boston, unless the American Kennel Club survived somehow, but whatever.

So why not have a gorilla instead?

(Pet gorillas are lore-friendly, look it up).

How did I know it was gonna be a Harambe thing

HOW

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Furia posted:

How did I know it was gonna be a Harambe thing

HOW

I know how you feel. How did Harambe become a meme? There's been other gorillas shot for escapes and rampages and such. Was it just the fact that people were shocked the zoo took the life of a gorilla over a kid?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Young Freud posted:

I know how you feel. How did Harambe become a meme? There's been other gorillas shot for escapes and rampages and such. Was it just the fact that people were shocked the zoo took the life of a gorilla over a kid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTBftExjXuU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
In this post-apocalypse, there are no Gorillas. Only Harambes.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The Fallout universe is what happens when Harambe doesn't get shot. You blew it up! drat you! God drat you all to hell! Have you seen my child Shaun?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Young Freud posted:

People on the internet think they are incredibly loving clever and have no idea when to stop grinding something against the pavement.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
To change a bit I've been meaning to go back to the original Deus Ex. I seem to remember Shifter being a good mod, has there been anything else worth a try?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
There are basically four, and the Deus Ex thread is a good place to go right now, but:
Shifter: is good
Biomod: makes some more changes on top of Shifter, personal taste (I like it)
Revision: a reimagining of DX kinda mod, for better and for worse (includes Shifter/Biomod if you want to use that plus Revision) - steam only, I think
GMDX: are you SolidSnakesBandana OR do you enjoy hammering nails into your skull

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 4, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GMDX is the good one

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Hear things of The Nameless mod, but never played it. There's also Nihilum and 2027, but never played either

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Young Freud posted:

Honestly, I was thinking that there's so many dogs in post-apocalypse apocrypha these days, that they should give you the option to name the Fallout dog a preset name and have it do different things. Like leave it Dogmeat and he's remains like in the other Fallout games, a faithful companion. But, choose Blood, like from "A Boy And His Dog", and he's psychic and talks back to you and does things like psionic attacks or sense approaching enemies that Dogmeat can't do. Or name him Rover and well... :/
You can name the dog 'Blood', but if you do, it ends up auto-changing your character's name to Albert.

Furia posted:

Hear things of The Nameless mod, but never played it. There's also Nihilum and 2027, but never played either

It's been quite a while since I played the Nameless Mod, but I remember liking it. Some people say it suffers from being a collection a in-jokes from the forum where it was developed, but I don't remember finding it really distracting.

I haven't played any of the other Deus Ex mods. I intended to play Nihilum a while ago, but I got caught up with other games. I remember that the Nameless Mod made reference to a set of mods where you played as Paul, but I can't remember what they were called.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 5, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Psion posted:

There are basically four, and the Deus Ex thread is a good place to go right now, but:
Shifter: is good
Biomod: makes some more changes on top of Shifter, personal taste (I like it)
Revision: a reimagining of DX kinda mod, for better and for worse (includes Shifter/Biomod if you want to use that plus Revision) - steam only, I think
GMDX: are you SolidSnakesBandana OR do you enjoy hammering nails into your skull

AND THEY STILL NEVER MANAGED TO GET A CO-OP MOD WORKING :mad:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you want a mod that will make you go "hahaha what" for like 4 hours, The Nameless Mod is for you. Take the "hahaha what" in whichever context you want.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, The Nameless Mod is fairly good overall.

Has some hiccups here and there and is rather in-joke-y, but kept me interested enough for a playthrough for each of the major story paths. Though that part where they go "Hurr doesn't it suck when games have lovely jumping puzzles, huh? Huh!?" while in the middle of a lovely jumping puzzle, while temporarily preventing you from quick-saving in an obnoxious way is pretty unforgivable. :catstare:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

silentsnack posted:

Except... does it have smoke grenades to call for a long-range cat dispenser artillery strike? (or radio option to call an airdrop?)

On the subject of quadrupeds, I was vaguely wondering if there's a mod give Dogmeat (or combat cats) a suit of power armor...

Nope? Just someone who cannot comprehend that the word 'tactical' actually has a meaning other than "emulating the Military Surplus Moron Packmule look."

No doggles, 0/10.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Woolie Wool posted:

No doggles, 0/10.

Doggles are already a part of the base game :v:

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Jawnycat posted:

Yeah, The Nameless Mod is fairly good overall.

Has some hiccups here and there and is rather in-joke-y, but kept me interested enough for a playthrough for each of the major story paths. Though that part where they go "Hurr doesn't it suck when games have lovely jumping puzzles, huh? Huh!?" while in the middle of a lovely jumping puzzle, while temporarily preventing you from quick-saving in an obnoxious way is pretty unforgivable. :catstare:

That's because you CHOOSE to open your comlink to that guy, he was deliberately designed as a gameplay trap. You could either be a sucker and fall for it, or you could just ignore the option. Its pretty much in the same vein as the option of installing that 'upgrade chip' in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The fact the guy also complains about people that 'talks too much' on the comlink should have hinted to you that option was designed to make your mission more frustrating than it needs to be.

Randomzx fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 5, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Randomzx posted:

That's because you CHOOSE to open your comlink to that guy, he was deliberately designed as a gameplay trap. You could either be a sucker and fall for it, or you could just ignore the option. Its pretty much in the same vein as the option of installing that 'upgrade chip' in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The fact the guy also complains about people that 'talks too much' on the comlink should have hinted to you that option was designed to make your mission more frustrating than it needs to be.

There are certain ways to punish a player in a video game to make it effective.

Actively making the game less enjoyable via pithy, obnoxiously self-aware commentary is not the way to do it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Don't act like you don't like the Rip Tearer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viy8zQnxGC8

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Kins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FtcZxnc6dk

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Naw, dogmeat obviously isn't a AKC purebred German Shepherd because his back legs actually present normally. You don't want to know what the breed associations are doing to those poor dogs for show (seriously don't look it up it is super depressing)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Scaramouche posted:

Naw, dogmeat obviously isn't a AKC purebred German Shepherd because his back legs actually present normally. You don't want to know what the breed associations are doing to those poor dogs for show (seriously don't look it up it is super depressing)

It's why mutts are so healthy in comparision to purebred large dogs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coolguye posted:

AND THEY STILL NEVER MANAGED TO GET A CO-OP MOD WORKING :mad:

Play System Shock 2 instead? Making a solo RPG into a co-op game is a huge task. It took forever for people to make a co-op mode for Half-Life.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Skwirl posted:

Play System Shock 2 instead? Making a solo RPG into a co-op game is a huge task. It took forever for people to make a co-op mode for Half-Life.

Didn't Sven Co-op come out about a year after Half-Life did? That's not really that long of a time, is it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Max Wilco posted:

Didn't Sven Co-op come out about a year after Half-Life did? That's not really that long of a time, is it?

You're probably right and that was a bad example, but Half-Life had a multiplayer engine to build on top of.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Well Fallout is a bad example, you still have people from other ethnic groups and people with accents after hundreds of years of no contact with other places. Curie gets a pass because she's a robot but in other places it's just weird.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The Kins posted:

I don't like the marine's weird little shorts.

I like everything else.

Skwirl posted:

You're probably right and that was a bad example, but Half-Life had a multiplayer engine to build on top of.

Deus Ex also has multiplayer. Weirdly, it was added after release in an official patch, but I assume they had been working on it throughout development.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Deus Ex also has multiplayer. Weirdly, it was added after release in an official patch, but I assume they had been working on it throughout development.
Did anyone ever play? Like, I knew it was a thing but I get the feeling it was pretty DOA.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

I saw Pedigree Dogs Exposed so I know what's up (and it loving sucks :smith:)

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I replaced Dogmeat's default model with one for the vicious dogs you see running around the game. Much more fitting.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Large mutt dogs are awesome and good. Gotta have that hybrid vigor.

On topic, there are plenty of Fallout 4 mods that remove the pipboy from the player model, but are there any that make the pipboy always work like you're in power armor?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ur very own half-dragon, alf-human hybrid girlfriend ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hf3GssVBGI

If nothing else, skip to 1:30

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I miss novajam's videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

If feeding crows gave 5xp, we'd do that instead, but they aren't called First Person Nurturers.

The last time I played Morrowind, I installed a renowned mod that makes the Mushroom-Tower-Wizard clan more interesting. I noticed that it has special compatibility patches for a few other mods, so I got those too.

One of those mods added a bathing mechanic: if you don't wash yourself regularly, NPCs will refuse to talk to you. You most commonly wash yourself by going to a public bathhouse (added to almost every town) and using soap. So now you're regularly buying soap, and tracking down these bathhouse, and climbing down into the smoothed rock tunnels to a steaming hotspring, using the soap...not only does this remove the talking-skills debuff, but different soaps are scented, giving you a small temporary bonus to energy, or concentration. You most frequently do this first thing after arriving in a town after a quest in the wilderness.

So, a completely strange and pointless mod, right? Busy-work both needless and boring.

But now the cadence of gameplay has expanded to include these meditative pauses for purification, even rejuvenation. Some part of your mind is tracking your character's need for a bath, how much their running, fighting, and killing, their harvesting of body parts from animals and demons, their crawling through crypts and charnel houses, and their blindly stumbling through dust storms, has stained them, left them unable to interact with anyone non-violently, unable to be a part of the civilized world, until they take a calm moment to sit in warm silence, and collect their thoughts. Sometimes NPCs from the surrounding area will be there at the same time, changed into a bath robe. They aren't very interested in talking, which gives you the hint to sit there in silence...

Looking back, I think it was one of the most interesting mod-enabled experiences I've ever had.

Your mind will be blown by immersive pooping as the meditative experience of trying desperately to find something to read in your bathroom while you poop. Then immersive butt wiping where if you go too fast you'll break through the tissue and walk around with a "Stinky finger" debuff.

• Locked thread