Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

DemeaninDemon posted:

What's toxic about them? Toxins?

masculinity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

DemeaninDemon posted:

I meant it in a more general sense, but yes, they can contain "toxins." The general rule of thumb to avoid toxicity is to get a sunscreen that uses non-nano zinx oxide (or some other type of mineral base -- I'm not an expert) as its active ingredient. If you're interested in some of the scary poo poo they put in cosmetics, feel free to look at that website.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

bump_fn posted:

masculinity

:shrug:

Again, I'm pretty comfortable in my masculinity.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Dahbadu posted:

I meant it in a more general sense, but yes, they can contain "toxins." The general rule of thumb to avoid toxicity is to get a sunscreen that uses non-nano zinx oxide (or some other type of mineral base -- I'm not an expert) as its active ingredient. If you're interested in some of the scary poo poo they put in cosmetics, feel free to look at that website.

Yeah I did and its ingredient list just looks like it was pulled from a SDS with zero regard to dose.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah I did and its ingredient list just looks like it was pulled from a SDS with zero regard to dose.

Anyway, for those of you that are reading this and you've found yourself getting rashes or irritation (or whatever) after wearing sunscreen consistently, you may want to consider using one with milder ingredients. You can use that website to search.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Chemtrails.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
In pogo news, I took my coins when I for sure had 2 in gyms, wasn't confident I'd get more by the time they were taken out. Turns out I could've actually waited and gotten 5.

Thems the breaks.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

In pogo news, I took my coins when I for sure had 2 in gyms, wasn't confident I'd get more by the time they were taken out. Turns out I could've actually waited and gotten 5.

Thems the breaks.

You caused a split in the space/time continuum, and an alternate reality now exists where you waited for 5 gyms and only collected off 1

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Guide:

1. Your number one focus should be: "You have the greatest chance of developing a sunuburn when you are out in the sun without sunscreen. At the opportune moment, apply the sunscreen to your skin." (Source)
2. Always use a non-toxic sunscreen, because it probably helps a little. However, if you're absolutely sure that not wearing sunscreen will result in skin cancer on your part, then just use normal sunscreen. But be aware of toxins!
3. Use sunscreen on areas that you don't want to get sunburned.
4. Use sunscreen on stuff you don't want to get cancer, especially if the sunscreen doesn't contain toxins.

But what about "Halo Top" ice cream?

"Halo Top" ice cream gives you excellent flavour and they do improve your chances of losing weight. For example, eating Halo Top when it's at 30% fat (i.e. low fat ) is better than getting a regular ice cream while it is at 30% fat. However, eating Halo Top while it's at 80% fat (i.e. high fat) is worse than eating regular ice cream when it's low fat.

What's nice about "Halo Top"?

Halo Top occurs when you eat ice cream, but it's good for you. If the ice cream is healthy enough (less than 50% of max calories), it's impossible to get fat.

The benefits of the Halo Top bonus don't outweigh the penalties of eating food when the amount of fat is high. In other words, there's nothing nice about fat. Eating fatty foods is a recipe for your heart breaking out of your chest and running away.

But what about science or nutrition, and stuff I read on reddit?

That's all extrapolated using biased info, usually only working under the assumption that the scientific method plays a role in determining whether toxins are real -- not that the toxins themselves are the major determining factor. In other words, it loses the forest from the trees.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

gentle pete posted:

Guide:

1. Your number one focus should be: "You have the greatest chance of developing a sunuburn when you are out in the sun without sunscreen. At the opportune moment, apply the sunscreen to your skin." (Source)
2. Always use a non-toxic sunscreen, because it probably helps a little. However, if you're absolutely sure that not wearing sunscreen will result in skin cancer on your part, then just use normal sunscreen. But be aware of toxins!
3. Use sunscreen on areas that you don't want to get sunburned.
4. Use sunscreen on stuff you don't want to get cancer, especially if the sunscreen doesn't contain toxins.

But what about "Halo Top" ice cream?

"Halo Top" ice cream gives you excellent flavour and they do improve your chances of losing weight. For example, eating Halo Top when it's at 30% fat (i.e. low fat ) is better than getting a regular ice cream while it is at 30% fat. However, eating Halo Top while it's at 80% fat (i.e. high fat) is worse than eating regular ice cream when it's low fat.

What's nice about "Halo Top"?

Halo Top occurs when you eat ice cream, but it's good for you. If the ice cream is healthy enough (less than 50% of max calories), it's impossible to get fat.

The benefits of the Halo Top bonus don't outweigh the penalties of eating food when the amount of fat is high. In other words, there's nothing nice about fat. Eating fatty foods is a recipe for your heart breaking out of your chest and running away.

But what about science or nutrition, and stuff I read on reddit?

That's all extrapolated using biased info, usually only working under the assumption that the scientific method plays a role in determining whether toxins are real -- not that the toxins themselves are the major determining factor. In other words, it loses the forest from the trees.

i dont understand step 2, how do i know for sure if im going to get cancer? i just assumed i wouldn't.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

So is now an okay time to weigh in on yoga styles? I'm partial to Bikram but I'd like to try naked or laughter

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Honest company sunscreen smells horrible... Have a child and the wife insists on putting it on them

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

This thread got dumb.

I haven't had a tremendous amount of fun playing PoGo but I did bust out my old DS and Pokemon Black. I had all the badges on my old save file but not all the pokemon so I decided, gently caress it, and restarted. It's pretty fun but all the pokemon seemed fake. That's not a bad thing though, it's actually pretty funny.

I'm considering buying a 3DS and whatever the new pokemon games are so, if I do, win for Nintendo?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Actually surprised this is the first time sunscreen chat has started in this thread. Even more surprised about *~*toxins*~*. Cmon goons.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

yamdankee posted:

Actually surprised this is the first time sunscreen chat has started in this thread. Even more surprised about *~*toxins*~*. Cmon goons.

But do you know what they're putting in the air with those chemtrails?!

(Yeah, dumb chat is dumb.)

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Whoa he said a funny word even though the rest of the post is perfectly reasonable and the conclusion is valid, better post a fuckton about it and put him in his place! :c00l:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'm a chemist so I find anti-chemical poo poo offensive. :colbert:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Modus Pwnens posted:

Whoa he said a funny word even though the rest of the post is perfectly reasonable and the conclusion is valid, better post a fuckton about it and put him in his place! :c00l:

No, I'm afraid you entirely misunderstood.

He used the wrong word while making a point entirely unsupported by anything remotely approaching reality.

jeef
Jun 1, 2004

Modus Pwnens posted:

gb2 reddit

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Can we talk about pokemon again?

I think I just hit Critical Weedle, gonna lucky egg it tomorrow.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Okay... kind of unsettling experience on the ferry today.

Went to the Bremerton-Seattle ferry so I could go in to work. Ferry was delayed because a body got fished out of the water (there was an announcement that ferry officials were 'retrieving a rescue', which I get the impression means 'someone jumped off the boat into the freezing cold water of the Sound'). They brought the poor fellow to the dock to be dealt with.

Ferry finally leaves, I go to work, come back over a few hours later. Ferry pulls into the Bremerton terminal, and what is the FIRST THING that pops up on Pokemon Go when we do?

A loving GHASTLY.

Probably nothing but coincidence, but it was a very creepy coincidence.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

SilverGryphon posted:

Okay... kind of unsettling experience on the ferry today.

Went to the Bremerton-Seattle ferry so I could go in to work. Ferry was delayed because a body got fished out of the water (there was an announcement that ferry officials were 'retrieving a rescue', which I get the impression means 'someone jumped off the boat into the freezing cold water of the Sound'). They brought the poor fellow to the dock to be dealt with.

Ferry finally leaves, I go to work, come back over a few hours later. Ferry pulls into the Bremerton terminal, and what is the FIRST THING that pops up on Pokemon Go when we do?

A loving GHASTLY.

Probably nothing but coincidence, but it was a very creepy coincidence.

I was walking by a church having a funeral and a ghastly popped up. I'm sorry, berieved, the soul of your loved one is conscripted into the skeleton pokemon war

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Does anyone here know what the hell the "BATTLES WON" count on some gym pokemon means?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
The hospital across the street from my work has spawned a number of koffings. Are they trying to warn me of subpar healthcare?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Does anyone here know what the hell the "BATTLES WON" count on some gym pokemon means?

I always assumed it meant the number of times someone attacked the gym and lost, then gave up. Gives bragging rights to the holders of the gym who hilariously has no way of seeing this information.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Just had an odd bug. Swapped back to the Pogo app and the only thing near me was this tiny little Paras. Couldn't click it or anything to capture. But look at it! So teeny.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Took 23 ultra balls and 8 great balls, but finally caught myself a Dragonite. 15 attack but 5 defense and 3 stamina :/

Oh well, cause I have a Dragonite!

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

So I took my city-raised Pokemons out into the countryside this weekend. My beefed out Poliwrath has been chilling out in (what was only a level 5) rural gym for 10 hours now, that's about 9 hours longer than my best prior record.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I randomly caught a cp 10 Horsea with bubble yesterday, so I said waitaminnit this is what I need for bubble strat.

Just tried it and :laffo: it's amazing. It only really works if you're the only one in the gym, since your weak pokemon will get OHKO if there's a second poke to fight, which there was when I tried it yesterday.

Once I try it against an empty gym I'll let you know the results.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
If you're quick you can usually run before the second Pokemon attacks.

elgarbo posted:

So I took my city-raised Pokemons out into the countryside this weekend. My beefed out Poliwrath has been chilling out in (what was only a level 5) rural gym for 10 hours now, that's about 9 hours longer than my best prior record.

I parked one of my Dragonites in the only gym of a tiny village yesterday (with a major tourist attraction there). But it was at the end of the weekend, so hopefully it'll survive there until the next weekend at least, when a new wave of tourists comes.
Some of my cousins were on holiday in eastern Europe this summer, going on hikes, and they ran into some gyms on mountains and such that were still neutral even though the game had been out for weeks. I think they're still holding some of them.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

BrianBoitano posted:

I randomly caught a cp 10 Horsea with bubble yesterday, so I said waitaminnit this is what I need for bubble strat.

I've successfully done the minor versions, where I get 75xp and +750 prestige per battle. I first used a krabby for defense, but he was unreliable and I only got 50xp. Later I got a horsea for defense, and I got a kabuto with mud sling as offense. That worked well. Then this morning I got a 14cp bellsprout with vine whip, and boy does he completely cream that 21cp horsea. So I no longer need to mash the poo poo out of my phone to ensure I get the timing right.

If you flee ASAP you don't get killed by the second pokemon in the fight. You just have to be really quick about it. With 75xp per battle I'm not entirely certain if the xp is good enough to be worth the loss in star dust (in Taipei). Tomorrow I'm going to time myself and count the xp.

Finding a good attacking pokemon is much harder than finding a defender. I almost never see diglets, and the plant pokemon are uncommon enough that the level 1 ones are just too rare. I see more dragonites than I do level 1 uncommons.

Meanwhile, at least here, water pokemon are absolutely everywhere.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Afgad posted:

I'm not entirely certain if the xp is good enough to be worth the loss in star dust (in Taipei). Tomorrow I'm going to time myself and count the xp.

I believe I read somewhere that it's about 75,000 XP per hour, which is half as much as what you can do with a lucky egg and evolving

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Hobo Clown posted:

I always assumed it meant the number of times someone attacked the gym and lost, then gave up. Gives bragging rights to the holders of the gym who hilariously has no way of seeing this information.

The holder of the gym can click on the gym and see it.

Who here has had a family member die? Did they ever use shampoo? If so, this make shock you http://livelovefruit.com/12-toxic-ingredients-to-avoid-in-shampoo/

There's some good, safe shampoos but they do get bad ratings sometimes, which I believe is because people have to rub it on their hair and there's no way to gps spoof on your head.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

it battles as just a horn, too <3

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

i get poke disappearing when i use submission on them, but no glitches like that.

i am still haunted by the demon seel even after evolving it. occationally, just looking at the dewgong and now some shelder and goldeen can freeze the app so hard i have to restart the phone

Divine Styler
Apr 8, 2005

quantum mechanic

elgarbo posted:

Crazy. I'm in the suburbs of Southern California. When I head up to LA or down to SD it's crazy seeing Pokestops on every corner. It's definitely more of a grind to get balls and potions here. But still, there's quite a few Pokestops and maybe 10 gyms within a mile radius of my house. I generally hold 2-4 of them at any given day, for 2-3 days at a time.

I never fight enemy gyms though. I always look for other lower level Valor gyms and then level them up to 7. Of course some lucky bastards are always getting to drop Lapras and Dragonites in with zero effort, but I find people around here generally avoid fighting lvl 7+ gyms.

I think I'd get frustrated pretty quickly, if I was constantly sticking mon in gyms, only to have them turn over every hour.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Honest company sunscreen smells horrible... Have a child and the wife insists on putting it on them

It's mostly unscented (which is a good thing for people that are allergic or have sensitive skin), so it smells like cream. Your wife is a good person.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'm a chemist so I find anti-chemical poo poo offensive. :colbert:

I actually doubt that. Maybe you're a chemistry student, at most.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Kloaked00 posted:

Took 23 ultra balls and 8 great balls, but finally caught myself a Dragonite. 15 attack but 5 defense and 3 stamina :/

Oh well, cause I have a Dragonite!

I'm glad you caught one, though. Sounds about the dragonite I caught in the wild. What moveset?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
So last week I trained up one of the slightly more out of the way gyms in my area a bit, since it was at level 5 with a 14cp bulbasaur sat at the bottom. Got it to level 6 and left a 1600cp Flareon at the top since that was the best I had spare at the time. Not the greatest defender but my one good vaporeon was somewhere else.

I am now into day 5 of ruling that Gym, it's now level 7 with like ~25K prestige. :cool: Seems like people are too intimidated to try and hit it.

• Locked thread