Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
We have to wait and see if they will cut 3.5's plot into segments like they did with 2.5 and 2.55. I feel like there was an extremely long period of time between 2.5 and 3.0 because of this, but if they really do say they're on track to get it out faster than Heavensward's arrival, my earliest guess would be... end of March.

Highly theoretical and I doubt things will actually play out that way, but we're getting 3.4 at the end of this month. 3.5 will probably be December or early January by that reasoning. They will also have to have plenty of time to reveal things at each Fan Fest to build hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So Glamour chat time, AST glamours are really hard to do because the best outfit in the game is the Eso set for them so I have a hard time finding things to replace it. That said I think I've done an okay job so far

Posting this because I'm looking for good looking AST weapons. Most of them just kind of blend together visually so it's hard to find a really spectacular one.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Anyone know if/when more housing plots will be opening up?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Note Block posted:

Patch day will probably be your best bet. Lotta people trying to get in on new housing zone will probably selling old plots.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TheHeadSage posted:

It'll target a random DPS as well, I don't stand near any of the healers and I'll be hit by the circle and the bleed debuff.

Yeah, just keep stacked up, wait until it hits a couple times, then hit selene's cleanse. :v:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Patch day will probably be your best bet. Lotta people trying to get in on new housing zone will probably selling old plots.

What new housing zone?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Truga posted:

Yeah, just keep stacked up, wait until it hits a couple times, then hit selene's cleanse. :v:

What new housing zone?

Isn't Ishgard housing hitting alongside the apartment stuff or did that get pushed backed/canceled?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They better put in a way to let use sell our current houses that doesn't risk getting banned before doing Ishgard housing. I don't wanna drop my current house just for all the Ishgard houses to be bought up.

E: Also AST pants rocks, why hasn't there been something like it for general use?

Leal fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 5, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't been exactly following their stuff, but as far as I know there's only the apartments in ishgard.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Truga posted:

I haven't been exactly following their stuff, but as far as I know there's only the apartments in ishgard.

I didn't think they were even adding that? As far as I was aware they were adding an apartment building to each of the current 3 housing districts. Each one has about 500 apartments. There was no mention of housing or apartments in Ishgard.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5plup1T92w

Denmo's new video isn't funny, but is insanely cool.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Really liked Denmo's new video. The last few seconds confused me, if he was trying to link Azys Lla to Coil by way of some sort of story teleportation, but maybe it just wasn't supposed to make sense for anything other than a good Allagan visual to end on, which it works as.

So Glamour chat time, AST glamours are really hard to do because the best outfit in the game is the Eso set for them so I have a hard time finding things to replace it. That said I think I've done an okay job so far

Posting this because I'm looking for good looking AST weapons. Most of them just kind of blend together visually so it's hard to find a really spectacular one.

Yes. Good glamour.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Upgraded Leviathan EX globe is above the rest of them IMO. Maybe one day SE will make Globe Nexus, but until then...

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
A friend got me the new WoW expansion and the amount of stuff lifted straight from FFXIV is kinda funny.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hahaha, I have a similar glam for my WHM.

I'm not sold on the pants, and I'm waiting to get Yagrush from the MSQ for the weapon. For pants I'm considering the Serpent Elite's Loincloth but 1000 allied seals feels like a hell of a grind. Also, I just got the Ironworks headpiece and I haven't glammed over it yet because I kind of like it, but it doesn't really fit with the rest of the outfit.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Verranicus posted:

A friend got me the new WoW expansion and the amount of stuff lifted straight from FFXIV is kinda funny.

I'd be interested in hearing some elaboration on that. Haven't played WoW in about five years, myself. All I really know about the new expansion, besides being able to play Illidan, is that WoW now has a glamour wardrobe system that FFXIV could really use.

Note Block posted:

If you're interested in a medium goblet home, mine will blow up in about a month. Could give you the time and plot if you care.

Orabilis fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 5, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I never touch an emity combo (unless I'm playing war) on Ozma when tanking. Tanks should have tank stance off and be DPSing 100%

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

That Denmo video just reminds me again how poo poo the Alexander raid looks and I'm sad all over again

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Absolutely insane how many people dislike the objectively better looking place.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Verranicus posted:

Seconding that some examples would be interesting. I haven't played since the first month of Pandaria and I can't see myself ever returning to see it firsthand.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

I wish they got a little more out there with the globes. Lots of cool stuff you could do visually, but they seem to want to stick to adding very small, hard to see, fiddly bits to the same basic chassis instead of doing something really weird and impressive.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I'm boycotting AST until we get a basketball to glam over the star globe.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It's weird to me that people say they still have usually at least one wipe on Ozma. I haven't seen a wipe in months. I've seen wipes in other places still but it's usually because healer disco/gets locked out. I've found Weep City had become pretty easy to get down now that the majority of players have finally understood what basic shapes are and how to go left and not right on Ozma.

I hope they keep up this level of challenge because while Weep City was insanely frustrating the first couple of weeks, I actually still like running it to this day because the bosses are still actually kind of fun to run. The first 2 have a gently caress ton of HP though, which I think will start to matter less once everyone starts getting even better gear next patch.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

The Black Stones posted:

It's weird to me that people say they still have usually at least one wipe on Ozma. I haven't seen a wipe in months. I've seen wipes in other places still but it's usually because healer disco/gets locked out. I've found Weep City had become pretty easy to get down now that the majority of players have finally understood what basic shapes are and how to go left and not right on Ozma.

I hope they keep up this level of challenge because while Weep City was insanely frustrating the first couple of weeks, I actually still like running it to this day because the bosses are still actually kind of fun to run. The first 2 have a gently caress ton of HP though, which I think will start to matter less once everyone starts getting even better gear next patch.

My wc groups have pretty much been a coin flip on whether we wipe to ozma or calofisteri. One or the other will almost always take 3 or 4 attempts.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

Absolutely insane how many people dislike the objectively better looking place.

people dislike coil?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure some people dislike coil too, :yeah:

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Truga posted:

I'm sure some people dislike coil too, :yeah:
both are objectively poop compared to the lush green hills of tanaka's once wonderful coerthas highlands

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The only other interesting starglobe I've found is the Moglobe and that makes an annoying sound effect whenever you draw it. So not the best option.

It's probably one of the hardest weapons to make interesting designs for though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Meldonox posted:

Seconding that some examples would be interesting. I haven't played since the first month of Pandaria and I can't see myself ever returning to see it firsthand.

The one thing that really sticks out to me is that at some point in the story line, your character gets knocked unconscious and astrally teleported in front of a giant crystal being that explains the plot to you. The scene looks almost exactly like when the WOL meets the mother crystal. It might even be the same voice actress.

Oh also there's a warrior of light that can save the entire universe, but it's not your character (it's Illidan lol).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fister Roboto posted:

The one thing that really sticks out to me is that at some point in the story line, your character gets knocked unconscious and astrally teleported in front of a giant crystal being that explains the plot to you. The scene looks almost exactly like when the WOL meets the mother crystal. It might even be the same voice actress.

Oh also there's a warrior of light that can save the entire universe, but it's not your character (it's Illidan lol).

Of course it loving is, god forbid Metzen let anybody overshadow one of his precious loving shitflakes of characters.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fister Roboto posted:

The notion that players have to be a poo poo farmer bear rear end gatherer in an MMO needs to die in a fire.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

SirPhoebos posted:

The notion that players have to be a poo poo farmer bear rear end gatherer in an MMO needs to die in a fire.

Yeah, your character isn't a nobody dickhead in legion. The lore for WoW is even more retarded than that. Titans are planets, Azeroth is the last and most powerful titan that has existed, and the shattering opened up a wound on it that leaks titan juice, and so we've been around it for so long the player characters are mini titans, and everyone else finally accepts that they're fuckups and makes you the leader of the various class factions.

My favorite is Thrall drops his doomhammer into the maelstrom while getting chumped by a no name demon, then you go get it and keep it because he's a fuckup and you're the earthen ring leader now.

Also in the demon hunter starter zone you have to activate some dumb doohickey with a soul, and you can choose to kill the demon hunter with you or kill yourself. If you kill yourself, when you're corpse running back Illidan says that you have an immortal soul like him and you're all special now!!!!!!! so they explained why the player character keeps coming back and why other people can die, although why you'd bother developing revival magic when it either won't work or that person will come back on their own anyway is a lil wierd. God bless blizzard's writing.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 5, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So here's a few observations I've made personally.
  • Aside from the stuff people have already mentioned like the story structure of the latest expansion being much more similar to FFXIV than any previous WoW expansion, they've added a system where you get to pick a legendary weapon from the WoW lore (three options for each class, you can get all 3 eventually) and level it up/give it unique stats and abilities/change its appearance via quests and grinding. I remember they announced this while the Relic Weapon thing was in full craze, and the system feels like it was lifted wholesale from FFXIV.
  • Crafting has been given a new system of tiers involving various levels of stars denoting difficulty, something they never used before.
  • Time Walker dungeons were added a while ago, but I still think they count. Unlike FFXIV when you outlevel a dungeon in WoW you're done. You can go back and steamroll it but you can't just queue in the dungeon finder and run it like a low level again. So rather than copy FFXIV the whole way and make an actual good level scaling system they'll randomly rotate old dungeons in and out (like a few from a particular expansion every couple weeks) that are now scaled up to the new level range. Pretty sure these only came out after it became clear FFXIV was WoWs biggest competition and not just another fly by night "WoW-killer".
  • They're pushing hard for every class and crafting profession to have its own series of unique story quests in the current expansion. This was never a thing on this scale before, and most crafting classes were barely worth mentioning. Now you have famous NPCs showing up and poo poo. Feels like they're trying emulate the class/job story quests from XIV.
  • I have heard talk that the updated PVP system is very similar to FFXIV's, but I haven't touched it yet.
  • Not related to XIV exactly, but their new glamour/wardrobe system is lifted entirely from Guild Wars 2.

I'm sure I'll notice more as I play through Legion, but I've seen the comparisons made before in the past and it's funny how angry people who only play WoW get when their baby is maligned in any way. I enjoy WoW a lot, not enough to pay a sub but since I don't have to do that anymore it's great. FFXIV remains the only MMO out there worth a sub and I don't see that changing for a long while.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

I get that this thread likes to dump on WoW a lot (and for usually justified reasons) but when you're arguing that that they copied FFXIV because "they have a weapon called an artifact", "they have more class-specific content", and "they changed crafting in a way that involves star icons" then I think you need to take a step back for a minute

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, you're wrong about crafting because the stars denote efficiency rather than difficulty.

The artifact thing is also different for a variety of reasons. The big one is that your artifact weapon is your only weapon from this point on, and instead of getting newer better weapons, you get upgrades for your artifact. I kind of think this is a neat idea, but it also means that literally every retribution paladin gets an Ashbringer practically handed to them at the start of the expansion. Everyone is special, so nobody is special.

I also wouldn't say that any of the other things you listed are unique to FF14.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think the only real tangible thing is that in WoW your character is now the bigshot after being a lackey for 4-5 expansions and like commander for 1. Something FFXIV did through just the base game. Maaaaybe collecting the pillars are an analogue to collecting the crystals in any final fantasy, its still ultimately a type of story gate where the player HAS to go through all the zones main stories to acquire them.

Everything else is a wash and can be described as the natural progression of things wow was already moving to.

One thing is for sure though, going through WoWs new dungeons and going through old content again leveling a new character and boy did I underestimated the FFXIV community. I had one bad player for every passable or good players in FFXIV. In WoW I'm going through so many that have no clue what they are doing, its hilarious. Also the new dungeons aren't really anything special when compared to the things FFXIV has been coming up with, both mechanically and visually.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I've been doing a lot of daily roulettes and I want to be a good FC member and horde crafting material for my high end compatriots but I'm not really sure what is desired. It's hard to communicate this since we're all on at different times

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I've been doing a lot of daily roulettes and I want to be a good FC member and horde crafting material for my high end compatriots but I'm not really sure what is desired. It's hard to communicate this since we're all on at different times

If it sells for less than 1k gil/ea on the MB then just dump it. If it's higher than that just toss it in your company chest or sell it yourself.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Velthice posted:

people dislike coil?
some people are just objectively into things that look like some forgotten the basement ok

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

One thing is for sure though, going through WoWs new dungeons and going through old content again leveling a new character and boy did I underestimated the FFXIV community. I had one bad player for every passable or good players in FFXIV. In WoW I'm going through so many that have no clue what they are doing, its hilarious. Also the new dungeons aren't really anything special when compared to the things FFXIV has been coming up with, both mechanically and visually.

The game has a dungeon journal that tells you literally everything you need to know about every dungeon boss. You even get text popups in combat that tell you exactly what to do. Somehow, people still can't do these things. Bad FF14 players at least have the excuse of the mechanics not being completely spelled out and spoonfed to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I started playing wow again with some friends and installed some addons that like literally spell out boss fights for you. I know it's an addon but stuff will show up on screen like 'run to the boss' or 'run from the boss' or whatever mechanic is showing up. on top of that the spells books are sorted alphabetically so I'm panning through trying to figure out what I can use when and its super loving annoying.

also the gcd is way shorter and a lot of people think that makes it better but I'm leveling a guardian Druid and I don't think I got a defensive cool down at all until I was like level 37 or something and all I do in combat is spam my current best resource gen and then blow it on one of two abilities. i play it so I can bullshit with some friends but boy howdy it's rough getting back into

• Locked thread