Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Justin Tyme posted:

Anything that results in ugly as gently caress strip malls occupied by Subway and nail salons to go away is fine by me

There is a strip mall in my city that, I poo poo you not, has 1. a weave store 2. a detox shop 3. a gun store and 4. a local NAACP office in the same building. Those are the only 4 things there. It's a massive stereotype of a building.

So you're opposed to self defense and minorities, good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Meanwhile The Village at Kenny's in historic SoDaSoPa has a dog-friendly green, a built-in play area for children, a man-made river/lagoon that plays some tepid ratpack song every hour on the hour, and a cute trolley that runs a circuit around the grounds. Their Pacific Theatres omniplex had 15 screens + an Imax + 3 "lounge" rooms with couches and 2 exsurround rooms with the fancy motion chairs because they were just built, and half of their food vendors are organic bullshit concept foods. And the people cleaning up dress like old tyme barbershop quartet folks because they're trying to sell the feeling of a Disneyesque community/retreat from the inanity of your life and gosh darn it just feels so nice to have lunch here

Gotta admit, I wanna shop at Kenny's.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Justin Tyme posted:

Anything that results in ugly as gently caress strip malls occupied by Subway and nail salons to go away is fine by me

There is a strip mall in my city that, I poo poo you not, has 1. a weave store 2. a detox shop 3. a gun store and 4. a local NAACP office in the same building. Those are the only 4 things there. It's a massive stereotype of a building.

Our unemployment office is between a Rent-a-center and a placed called "Shaunta's Hair and Nail salon" across from that in the same parking lot is a car title loan place and a Little Caesars that advertises it can accept EBT

On the other side of the road is the White trash containment zone that features a lovely sportsbar, 2 pawn shops that are overflowing with lovely power tools, baby furniture and guns, an actual gun shop and a used car lot that sells overpriced used trucks with awful financing

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If you guys like big catalogs, just look in the direction of a B & H Photo store and you'll be blessed with their 5lb monstrosity every couple of months.

I do like getting the American Science & Surplus catalog. They hand draw all the product images, and not very well. So you have to use a little faith when you're ordering.

TheGoatTrick posted:

The people who owned Best got bored with the whole running a store thing and got an artist to start designing the buildings. In Richmond, it resulted in this.

That's a photo from when the store was open; it only looks to have been abandoned for decades.

We used to shop at a Best store in Virginia. I was like, 8 so I don't remember much except it.was.awesome. I think it was one of the first big box stores I had ever been in.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

TheGoatTrick posted:

The people who owned Best got bored with the whole running a store thing and got an artist to start designing the buildings. In Richmond, it resulted in this.

That's a photo from when the store was open; it only looks to have been abandoned for decades.

Some of the stores ended up looking pretty interesting, though.

All of them are shown here: http://www.siteenvirodesign.com/content/best-products

those are loving fly, they seem decades ahead of their time

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This thread reads like a bunch of older millennial and Gen-X white computer touchers pining for the time their dads used to take them to the store rather than calling them to talk about how the world is ending because a black man is president.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wtf is an old millenial

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Old millennial : people that aren't me

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

unpacked robinhood posted:

Wtf is an old millenial

Millenials that aren't appropriately woke

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Justin Tyme posted:

We now have tons of abandoned "Internet Seeepstakes Cafes" in Ohio. Shady places.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

My lovely working class suburb has like 50 vape shops and head shops. They occupy at least one storefront in every strip mall.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Krispy Kareem posted:

We used to shop at a Best store in Virginia. I was like, 8 so I don't remember much except it.was.awesome. I think it was one of the first big box stores I had ever been in.

:same:

When I was 8, Kmart was the closest thing to a big box store where we regularly shopped (although it really was just a store sans the "big box"), and Montgomery Ward was the department store to get bigger things, but we would occasionally visit BEST for some stuff that neither store had. It was so cool seeing your stuff come out on a conveyor belt like an everlasting gobstopper and browsing the showroom like it was the set of The Price is Right.

I think the last thing I ever bought at BEST was Sonic the Hedgehog 2 when I was 13, because Walmart had come to town by 1992, and Kmart was building a newer larger store just down the street from me. My family and I never had any desire to shop at BEST ever again because it was guaranteed that one of the two stores had what we were looking for, and BEST went bankrupt for the first time (out of two bankruptcies) shortly thereafter.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

When I was 8 I loved it when dad would bring me to the RadioShack across the street, because I could try out all the instruments on the big-rear end demo keyboard and gaze longingly at all the cool electronics project kits.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Neurion posted:

When I was 8 I loved it when dad would bring me to the RadioShack across the street, because I could try out all the instruments on the big-rear end demo keyboard and gaze longingly at all the cool electronics project kits.

what is it like knowing that part of your childhood is dead?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Those electronic project kits were the poo poo when I was a kid. Building a simple AM radio with a few strands of wire sounds dumb as all hell as an adult, but when you're a kid, it's like you're an omnipotent god.

FEAR ME, FOOLISH MORTALS, FOR I HAVE CREATED SOMETHING FROM NOTHING THAT PICKS UP TALK RADIO AND 1950'S EASY LISTENING.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My friend's granddad took us to a K-mart and we played some shooter game on the display TS-80 for hours while he got so drunk in the bar next door that he couldn't find his truck. Cops showed up and I got to ride in a cop car for a hour while they tried to figure out where I lived.

The point of this story is that playing on display electronics was the best.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

fits my needs posted:

This thread reads like a bunch of older millennial and Gen-X white computer touchers pining for the time their dads used to take them to the store rather than calling them to talk about how the world is ending because a black man is president.

Welp that hits a little too close to home

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
A lot of you are confusing strip malls and outdoor malls. Strip malls are those lovely blocks that are all connected. There might be a deli in there, probably a nail salon, most likely an odd store or two. Outdoor malls are more like a faux village with no cars so you can walk around from store to store and cross "streets" without worrying about a car coming through. They typically have much nicer stores than strip malls and they usually have very good restaurants. We have them here in the more ritzy parts of Connecticut.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Business Gorillas posted:

i'm going to do a special shout out to TIME magazine because they're in some sort of cool paradox where they know they're dying with the baby boomers so they're making a bunch of "gently caress these dumbass millenial" things, which makes sure that they don't have a new consumer base in the future

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

fits my needs posted:

Hey, I'm gen X and I try to buy everything from online retailers. There are so many I don't get the whole touchy feely thing. If I can save money by just clicking a button and not have to waste a couple hours of my time and waste gas so that I can touch a new smartphone that probably feels a lot like a smartphone or whatever I'm buying.

I think its because people in general are retarded and can't visualize anything. People who have to touch stuff are just as bad as people who only go into staged houses when buying because they can't possibly imagine how to arrange furniture when looking at an empty house.

Speaking of strip-malls, my favorite is on I69 just north of Fishers, IN. On one side of the interstate, there are quite a few businesses that do well so someone had the awesome idea to build a strip mall on the other side and in the last 15-20 years, the only one space has ever been occupied and is an Amish-built furniture store.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TheGoatTrick posted:

Some of the stores ended up looking pretty interesting, though.

All of them are shown here: http://www.siteenvirodesign.com/content/best-products

Well I can definitely see why they didn't go with that parking lot idea. Would only take one dipshit trying to park on one of the 45 degree angle spots to ruin it for everybody.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I think its because people in general are retarded and can't visualize anything.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Krispy Kareem posted:

I do like getting the American Science & Surplus catalog. They hand draw all the product images, and not very well. So you have to use a little faith when you're ordering.

They started putting actual pictures online now. It is truly the end of an era

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Hey, I'm gen X and I try to buy everything from online retailers. There are so many I don't get the whole touchy feely thing. If I can save money by just clicking a button and not have to waste a couple hours of my time and waste gas so that I can touch a new smartphone that probably feels a lot like a smartphone or whatever I'm buying.

I think its because people in general are retarded and can't visualize anything. People who have to touch stuff are just as bad as people who only go into staged houses when buying because they can't possibly imagine how to arrange furniture when looking at an empty house.

Speaking of strip-malls, my favorite is on I69 just north of Fishers, IN. On one side of the interstate, there are quite a few businesses that do well so someone had the awesome idea to build a strip mall on the other side and in the last 15-20 years, the only one space has ever been occupied and is an Amish-built furniture store.

you sound like someone who does not have a significant other, has children or likes to buy nice fitting clothes. do you buy your clothes online in bulk?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

fits my needs posted:

Pretty much, except my dad is(thank Christ) still left-wing as gently caress so he calls me to talk about whatever code came up on one of his old cars and I get to explain for the 3,745 time how OBDII works and what he needs to check/fix.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Cool_tony posted:

They started putting actual pictures online now. It is truly the end of an era

But there's still a button to switch to the hand drawn, artisanal autismal version.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JnnyThndrs posted:

whatever code came up on one of his old cars and I get to explain for the 3,745 time how OBDII works and what he needs to check/fix.

I dont think cars with the OBD thing qualify for "old"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

You're like 40 minutes south of McCandless Crossing, and the T doesn't go to it. Why do you even give half a fart about something that's not even anywhere near the city?

We're talking about mixed use developments and that's a mixed use development. Try to keep up.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mixed use sounds like something intentionally not exciting

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Obdii has been mandatory for 20 years. In 5 years you'll be able to register an obd II car as a classic in Texas.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Obdii has been mandatory for 20 years. In 5 years you'll be able to register an obd II car as a classic in Texas.

Even if its technically right it's kinda misleading though.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

You're right, but he's always working on stuff with upwards of 200k miles, so it's "old" one way or another. Maybe "beat to poo poo" is a better descriptor :)

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Circuit City, CompUSA, and Video Update.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Mixed use sounds like something intentionally not exciting

Mixed use is really good when done in a sane way. It's atrocious when handled by idiots who don't understand that they're not supposed to be cramming a square suburb peg into a round urban hole

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Best mixed use is when there's a shop with apartments over it on a regular city street. One of the local delis in my neighborhood was ran by a guy who lived in an apartment on top and he loved it because his commute was walking down a flight of stairs. Then he fell down the flight of stairs and died and it got bulldozed and it was a Wendy's but the Wendy's went out of business and crackheads moved in and burnt it down and now it's just a vacant lot.

I guess my point is walk down stairs carefully or your house/shop will get bulldozed and then replaced by a Wendy's and burnt down.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

fits my needs posted:

you sound like someone who does not have a significant other, has children or likes to buy nice fitting clothes. do you buy your clothes online in bulk?

No, actually I'm happily married, have twins and don't buy most of my clothes online. I do buy shoes online because most retailers offer free returns. For example, Air Max 2015s last year were $45 less than finish line plus were at my door in 2 days and I could have exchanged them for free without stepping in a store. Our diaper subscription to Amazon saved us a ton of money because Amazon saved us about $15/box cheaper. I buy pretty much all electronics and home goods off the net as they are much cheaper. Also never go to dealerships and save a ton of money for parts/accessories for my 3 bikes and our two cars. I don't need to feel the carbon fiber or smell the stainless fasteners before ordering just like I don't need to hold a new cell phone that is just a faster, better version of the one I'm holding when it's time to upgrade.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

No, actually I'm happily married, have twins and don't buy most of my clothes online. I do buy shoes online because most retailers offer free returns. For example, Air Max 2015s last year were $45 less than finish line plus were at my door in 2 days and I could have exchanged them for free without stepping in a store. Our diaper subscription to Amazon saved us a ton of money because Amazon saved us about $15/box cheaper. I buy pretty much all electronics and home goods off the net as they are much cheaper. Also never go to dealerships and save a ton of money for parts/accessories for my 3 bikes and our two cars. I don't need to feel the carbon fiber or smell the stainless fasteners before ordering just like I don't need to hold a new cell phone that is just a faster, better version of the one I'm holding when it's time to upgrade.

are you that afraid of human interaction that you would expand the length of buying shoes to multiple days if the first shoe doesn't fit? jesus christ, that's just sad! ::smugdon:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

fits my needs posted:

are you that afraid of human interaction that you would expand the length of buying shoes to multiple days if the first shoe doesn't fit? jesus christ, that's just sad! ::smugdon:

Please put more effort in

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

cool and good posted:

Please put more effort in

nah, it's fuckin labor day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

mrwuss posted:

what is it like knowing that part of your childhood is dead?

That part of my childhood died while working at RadioShack. Best part was we eventually got a manager who just did not give a poo poo and would let me take 1-hour long paid breaks, because the company was clearly going down the toilet. I'd drive across town to have a meal in a sit down restaurant, and by the time I got back we'd have made like $5 worth of sales.