Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cleretic posted:

I suppose that's fair enough, but there's still some good low-barrier stuff there. We can start making the fact Cloud spends a chunk of disk 2 as a wheelchair-bound babbling vegetable one of the things everyone brings up, right? Or the fact the literal stuffed toy party member is like CRAZY evil and traitorous?

The fact Aerith's the one that dies is itself a little thing worth noting, though, because I happen to know it wasn't set in stone until relatively late in development; before then it was either going to be her or Barrett. Aerith was the good choice because she's a standard character in Final Fantasy, the demure female supporting character. Rosa in IV, Lenna in V, Terra in VI, and then afterwards we still had the likes of Rinoa and Yuna... not only were they integral party members by role for the most part, they were by far the most important non-protagonist party member. Someone like that doesn't just die, you kill people like Barrett because they're ultimately sideliners! The fact they killed probably the most metatextually invincible party member is a big part of why it sustained like it did, I think.

Something similar happened when they did the HD rerelease of FFX on PC earlier this year and replaying the game made people realize how different the actual story was from their memory of it, whiny Tidus and mopey Cloud both materialized out of nowhere based on the internet's half-remembered idea of what the games were like years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yuuup. Tidus has a punchable face but him and Wakka are good character examples of being optimistic in the face of adversity.
Really, the only one without much character is Khimari.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tidus is still a little bitch compared to Jecht though. :colbert:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Len posted:

I still absolutely want a prequel to FFX where you play as Jecht, Braska and Auron. That would be so goddamn good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jecht was a drunk and a bully. Auron is chill ghost dad and I would play a full game of his antics.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Cleretic posted:

I suppose that's fair enough, but there's still some good low-barrier stuff there. We can start making the fact Cloud spends a chunk of disk 2 as a wheelchair-bound babbling vegetable one of the things everyone brings up, right? Or the fact the literal stuffed toy party member is like CRAZY evil and traitorous?

The fact Aerith's the one that dies is itself a little thing worth noting, though, because I happen to know it wasn't set in stone until relatively late in development; before then it was either going to be her or Barrett. Aerith was the good choice because she's a standard character in Final Fantasy, the demure female supporting character. Rosa in IV, Lenna in V, Terra in VI, and then afterwards we still had the likes of Rinoa and Yuna... not only were they integral party members by role for the most part, they were by far the most important non-protagonist party member. Someone like that doesn't just die, you kill people like Barrett because they're ultimately sideliners! The fact they killed probably the most metatextually invincible party member is a big part of why it sustained like it did, I think.

Sure, except Tifa was the demure listless childhood friend female character. She just happened to dress like a street hooker. I swear nobody loving remembers any part of Final Fantasy VII and just go off the half-recalled Kingdom Hearts depictions of all the characters

Len posted:

Jecht's entire story was him coming to terms with being a huge drunk gently caress-up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Nohman posted:

Sure, except Tifa was the demure listless childhood friend female character. She just happened to dress like a street hooker. I swear nobody loving remembers any part of Final Fantasy VII and just go off the half-recalled Kingdom Hearts depictions of all the characters

And Aerith is the one who constantly joked, threatened to tear off a guy's balls and took the frequent implications that she was an actual hooker pretty swell. But in all the post-FFVII stuff they've turned her into a generic angelic martyr.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Aerith and Tifa share the traits typical to that sort of character in sort of weird ways that make it hard to categorize either of them as it, but I generally lean towards Aerith being that because, while her personality isn't a 1:1, her story and mechanical role is that type of thing. Friend to animals and children, takes care of plants, designated White Mage (albeit in a game where that means little).

She might not be exactly that, but she's the one you'd categorize as that when taking a larger view. Sort of coming at that 'everyone misremembers Cloud' from the other direction as well, she looks like that sort of character until you start seeing her extended scenes.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Cleretic posted:

Or the fact the literal stuffed toy party member is like CRAZY evil and traitorous?

He's actually just a toy being controlled remotely, and the guy doing it is under close scrutiny. I don't know exactly how far you are into the game so I won't spoil his real identity but he ends up being kinda like the protagonist of The Lives of Others. He's fairly complicated and sympathetic even if he doesn't get much of a significant role in the plot.

I mean, in the end his traitorous actions don't even accomplish much. The one who really fucks up is Cloud.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kit Walker posted:

They're the best. If they were half as tough as they act like they are, they might've actually been a threat.

You gotta remember that compared to the average person the Turks are supremely badass. It's just that you play as a bunch of murder-hobos all hopped up on magic bullshit.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Who What Now posted:

You gotta remember that compared to the average person the Turks are supremely badass. It's just that you play as a bunch of murder-hobos all hopped up on magic bullshit.

For a second I thought Europea Univervalis got really weird

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kit Walker posted:

And yeah that whole side-quest and final scene with them in Wutai was fantastic.

There definitely aren't many video game scenes that encapsulate sheer :owned: as beautifully as the Turks throwing Don Corneo's unwinnable question game back at him at the end of that sidequest.

(screenshots courtesy of Elentor's 10/10 LP of the game)

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Kit Walker posted:

He's actually just a toy being controlled remotely, and the guy doing it is under close scrutiny. I don't know exactly how far you are into the game so I won't spoil his real identity but he ends up being kinda like the protagonist of The Lives of Others. He's fairly complicated and sympathetic even if he doesn't get much of a significant role in the plot.

I mean, in the end his traitorous actions don't even accomplish much. The one who really fucks up is Cloud.

It's still one of the best reveals i think I've ever seen. The sheer '.... that is really hosed up but makes sense' feeling is one i still remember, and i haven't played the game since probably 7th grade.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kanfy posted:

There definitely aren't many video game scenes that encapsulate sheer :owned: as beautifully as the Turks throwing Don Corneo's unwinnable question game back at him at the end of that sidequest.

(screenshots courtesy of Elentor's 10/10 LP of the game)

The bit right after where they get a call from their boss and are told to look for you (standing five feet away) and decide not to bother because they're off duty today is also fantastic.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Kit Walker posted:

The bit right after where they get a call from their boss and are told to look for you (standing five feet away) and decide not to bother because they're off duty today is also fantastic.

How about "Hey! Don't trample the flowers!!"?

PYF: PYF Little Things In Final Fantasy VII

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

The Turks are very dedicated to their work...while they're on duty. Hojo was similar. I swear, Shinra could have stopped half of the horrible things Hojo did by just giving him like a month's vacation while everything was going down.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

either her or Barrett
I know what parallel universe I want to go to.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Slime posted:

The Turks are very dedicated to their work...while they're on duty. Hojo was similar. I swear, Shinra could have stopped half of the horrible things Hojo did by just giving him like a month's vacation while everything was going down.

It'll be interesting to see the Final Fantasy VII remake if they remember how goddamn goofy that game actually was with stuff like Hojo chilling out on a holiday weekend surrounded by babes in a full lab coat or President Shinra doing an evil overlord roleplay with hookers in the slums. Or if it'll go the all serious brooding anime all the time like everything in the extended FF7 universe trash.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

They've already admitted the cross dressing bit will be in. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
Yeah. Remember in Final Fantasy 1 where the party was outside Melmond, on their way to the Earth Cave, and they ran into a bunch of imps. The Fighter was like 'kssht!' and the thief was like, 'bdding!", and the Black Mage was like, 'Woooossshhh!"

Hahahaha. Good times.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I know what parallel universe I want to go to.

Honestly, I don't think you have to jump universes just to see a story where the only major character death is also the only major black guy.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nohman posted:

It'll be interesting to see the Final Fantasy VII remake if they remember how goddamn goofy that game actually was with stuff like Hojo chilling out on a holiday weekend surrounded by babes in a full lab coat or President Shinra doing an evil overlord roleplay with hookers in the slums. Or if it'll go the all serious brooding anime all the time like everything in the extended FF7 universe trash.

The Advent Children extended version reinstates a lot of the goofy. R---- makes bla blam noises while firing machine guns.

Also apologising for "mother schmuther, it's Jenovas fricking head"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

God drat am I glad I hate JRPGs.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

*ahem*.... Chrono Trigger. Ignore Cross because it is guilty of every JRPG sin.

Cool things in CT:

The main character dies 2/3rds of the way through and you don't need to revive him if you don't want to.

You can fight, though not necessarily win, against the final boss at nearly any point in the story and get a different ending.

You can destroy the big-bad-fortress three times over if you do it in different time-periods. Or just skip it all together.

You can skip half of one dungeon if you know a password before-hand.

Similarly you can undo a terrible event that happens to a main character's mother, and the key word is a name made up of letters found on your control-pad.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Sep 5, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Biplane posted:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Biplane posted:

There are good ones but I wouldn't want it to be the only genre I played, definitely.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

StandardVC10 posted:

There are good ones but I wouldn't want it to be the only genre I played, definitely.

Perhaps the same could be said of all genres.

Nobody cares what kind of video games you don't like you nerds, post things you do like instead.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kanfy posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all genres.

Nobody cares what kind of video games you don't like you nerds, post things you do like instead.

Okay, okay: my current favorite thing in video games is the way Break mode feels in Crimzon Clover. One moment you're a tiny fragile ship in a SHMUP, the next everything is exploding and all of the bullets are gone so you can reposition and enjoy the billion stars coming at you.

And then you can double break and you feel so insanely powerful and cool just for using a basic hyper mode, but drat. Feels so viscerally good with the sudden firepower.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I bet it has been mentioned before but in Crusader Kings 2, you can choose to improve your war skills. If you do one of the events is your ruler kicking in the door on some teenagers playing warhammer and demanding a match.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
That in the Curse of Monkey Island, reading a sign saying that the local word for "youch!" is "pappapisshu!" will make every character in the game say it instead of "youch!" from there on.

But only if you read the sign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkIxD34hQCA

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I'm playing my first Super Robot Wars game, SRW J for GBA, and it's just full of tiny mechanical things that combine to make a great experience.

Coming from Fire Emblem, the best single thing was seeing that every single enemy attack triggers a Counter/Defend/Evade choice, with Defend halving damage and Evade halving enemy hit rate, so the player still has important decisions to make in the enemy phase instead of just watching themselves getting dunked on.

Animated battle sequences feature music from the relevant anime. It continues to play on the map screen until something else overrides it. Theme music for particular mecha can also be changed in the menu. Speaking of customization, you can also change the names of attacks for your self-insert protagonist's mecha to any dorky names you can think of!

Spirits (active pilot skills) can completely turn the tide of battle if you use them well. A weaker mecha can still be invaluable to the team if it has multiple pilots, all with their spirit point pool.

Speaking of pilots, they have different personalities that determine how they gain and lose morale.

Combo attacks strike multiple units in a row, but only the first one can counter, so you can effectively simulate bursting out of an enemy into the boss for a surprise attack.

Many bosses have a "Retreat HP" stat. If they go below this threshold, they escape the battle, leaving no rewards. If you manage to bring them down to 0 anyway, you get the items, money and experience normally, so the mechanics themselves encourage ending bosses with huge finishers.

After a while, every battle becomes a balancing act of multiple weird gimmicks, including but not limited to super modes, combining mecha, trading attachments, energy shields etc. The game itself, instead of a tutorial, provides an optional series of puzzles that force you to take advantage of obscure mechanics.

All this on a goddamn Gameboy Advance. I'm having a blast with this game and supposedly it's not even the best the series has to offer. :allears:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Similarly you can undo a terrible event that happens to a main character's mother, and the key word is a name made up of letters found on your control-pad.

...ABBA?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

LARA iirc. Using the shoulder buttons.

The game subtly teaches you this with a password you need to enter during the main story.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The genesis/megadrive controller was great simply because it had a C button which let games use "ABRACADABRA" as a cheat code (R and D are right and down on the d-pad respectively if not obvious)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Donkey Kong Country had a bunch of cheat codes that spelled BARRAL, DYDDY, BADBUDDY or DARBYDAY, using the up and down directions on the d-pad as U and D. DKC2 took it further and brought the Select button in the mix to make a 50 lives cheat code spell YA SAD LAD.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, okay: my current favorite thing in video games is the way Break mode feels in Crimzon Clover. One moment you're a tiny fragile ship in a SHMUP, the next everything is exploding and all of the bullets are gone so you can reposition and enjoy the billion stars coming at you.

And then you can double break and you feel so insanely powerful and cool just for using a basic hyper mode, but drat. Feels so viscerally good with the sudden firepower.
And then you die because you can't see poo poo on the screen when in double break.

Crimzon Clover is good times. Some sweet music to go with it. I swear they hosed something up on the Steam rerelease, though, I just get smeared and I actually 1cc'ed the original.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So I've been playing Redout, a Wipeout/F-Zero inspired racing game that was released recently. One thing I love about it is not only the sense of speed and excellent physics, but the graphics are amazing and highly stylized, there's almost zero textures, just flat colors, and low polycounts, giving it an early 3D computer graphics look, and it's gorgeous.

Oh, and one of the ships you can pick looks like a pod racer from that awful Star Wars prequel.

Here's a screenshot for an example.

wafflemoose has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Sep 6, 2016

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Sentient Data posted:

The genesis/megadrive controller was great simply because it had a C button which let games use "ABRACADABRA" as a cheat code (R and D are right and down on the d-pad respectively if not obvious)

I was partial to the Genesis Shadowrun's cheat code being BARRACUDA.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
I'll always remember that in Vectorman for the Genesis, the code to enter no-clip mode to fly around the level was "CALLACAB".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

"The hospital administrator is cheating"