Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014
I seem to get put in the situation of being the only tank on the team, which isn't necessarily terrible but i'm unsure of who's best at it and why. I know it's highly situational but any thoughts/opinions would be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Its not you heal at all times except when you want to run away and you press shift, thats it

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Squiggles Unite posted:

I seem to get put in the situation of being the only tank on the team, which isn't necessarily terrible but i'm unsure of who's best at it and why. I know it's highly situational but any thoughts/opinions would be helpful.

I feel like Zarya is the best for these situations. Rein would be first pic but if the team is only running one tank then chances are they won't stand behind the shield. Zarya is pretty self sustaining because of her shield and regen, plus she can poo poo out damage if using bubbles correctly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want to like Mercy because of just how good she is at making your team Not Die but it is awful and boring for my default action in a fight to be "run away"

Dunno what to do about that besides not play her, but sometimes you need her :smith:

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

why did they make it 10 times longer to get a golden weapon it says i need 3000 points now.. wtf blizz

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I want to like Mercy because of just how good she is at making your team Not Die but it is awful and boring for my default action in a fight to be "run away"

Dunno what to do about that besides not play her, but sometimes you need her :smith:

mercy is a poo poo hero

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

flashman posted:

why did they make it 10 times longer to get a golden weapon it says i need 3000 points now.. wtf blizz
Point gains also were multiplied. I'm not sure why.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Ravenfood posted:

Point gains also were multiplied. I'm not sure why.

It's so they can split points for draws.

edit: It's apparently 3 per draw.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 5, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gimnbo posted:

It's so they can split points for draws.

edit: It's apparently 3 per draw.

It used to be 50% payout for ties but they decided that was a little too strong so they nerfed it down to 30%.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Forget healing, just use pistol. Also,

flashman posted:

mercy is a poo poo hero

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
So I completed my placement matches and got platinum rank, am I a bad person if I say I really can't be bothered to play that much anymore as there's no way I'll get diamond :v:

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
I enjoy this game when I play with my bro across country. Other than that most games end in either me healing or we lose because none else will do it.

That sums up my 105 levels of OW experience. Comp is a little different but not much. People would rather lose than heal most games in my experience.

I can't stop playing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

flashman posted:

mercy is a poo poo hero

Well more power to people who like and play her then I guess :shrug:

I have trouble aiming Ana, though, Lucio and Zen don't feel like they have enough throughput, and why the hell is Symmetra still classed as a support again

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
If Lucio doesn't have enough throughput, you're using Amp Up wrong.

Expanding on that: don't necessarily spam it every time you see someone low. Generally you should save it for when someone is low AND it looks like they're going to take more damage in the immediate future. Otherwise the slow heal can get them by fine and if they want health back faster, they can go nab a health pack. When Lucio amps his healing aura in the middle of the whole team when a bunch of people are damaged, it's almost as good as a Zen ult.

Try to avoid amping speed except to escape an enemy ult (mainly Dva) and when you're running people back.

Sorry. That was probably a bit harsh. :ohdear:

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 5, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Avail posted:

I enjoy this game when I play with my bro across country. Other than that most games end in either me healing or we lose because none else will do it.

That sums up my 105 levels of OW experience. Comp is a little different but not much. People would rather lose than heal most games in my experience.

I can't stop playing.

Well the good news is that at least there are now a reasonable number of viable support choices as it currently stands. Back when the game was brand new it was basically double Lucio or Lucio/Mercy, Zen was a never-ran since he died to a stiff breeze. Now the supports are reasonably balanced (so far) and both Zenyatta and Ana fulfill the role of "support who also gets to kick rear end a bunch" if you like to kill people but also need to heal.

Like, Mercy is demonstrably better now than she used to be, rez seems like it's gonna be back in the game, but I don't feel like you have to go Mercy just to win the way you used to.

edit; Zenyatta does have kind of low healing, the tradeoff being that he has access to orb of discord and fairly good damage of his own, so you practice preventative medicine by helping your team burn down targets quicker and adding to the damage yourself, popping Transcendence when the enemy team decides to go ult-happy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Toadsmash posted:

Expanding on that: don't necessarily spam it every time you see someone low. Generally you should save it for when someone is low AND it looks like they're going to take more damage in the immediate future. Otherwise the slow heal can get them by fine and if they want health back faster, they can go nab a health pack. When Lucio amps his healing aura in the middle of the whole team when a bunch of people are damaged, it's almost as good as a Zen ult.

Try to avoid amping speed except to escape an enemy ult (mainly Dva) and when you're running people back.

Nah that's fair, I avent put remotely enough practice into Lucio to make qualitative statements

I kinda find him boring tbh

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
My three man group finished out placement matches on ps4 just now. I got gold rank at 2483. 4 wins, 5 loses, 1 tie. First loss really shouldn't have counted since half my team left before we had even taken the first point on hollywood. Here's hoping I can somehow claw my way up a few ranks.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

Nah that's fair, I avent put remotely enough practice into Lucio to make qualitative statements

I kinda find him boring tbh

The different supports seem designed to cater to a variety of tastes in terms of what you want to care about more. Lucio's kind of dull from a combat perspective because you mostly use his weapon to spam down chokes or into teamfights and look for opportunities to boop people off cliffs, but juggling between speed and healing based on the flow of the game and doing sick wallriding tricks to stall the objective while waiting for your team to respawn before dropping the beat appeals to some. I don't find him particularly enjoyable myself because I'm bad at wallriding and my "strategic awareness" for lack of a better term needs a lot of work still, but I've seen plenty of good Lucios who do a lot more than just be there so I know he's got a reasonable skill ceiling.

Right now I'm trying to get better with Zenyatta, my big stumbling block so far is managing heals and discords while also shooting, I need to get into a better flow of "stop shooting so I can discord" instead of trying to mash both buttons at once.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
quick play has become so much worse and i cant figure out why. i mean before s2 released, so its not real players moving out of qp. 2 snipers on offense, no healer, people seldom play tanks, and many more people saying "lol lets all be _______". i fill in when i can! but its kind of making it feel really bad to play in a way it never did in tf2. comp wasnt as important, and it wasnt as detrimental to have 3 snipers or spies for example because you had 9 other people who might be playing well. i guess i will try ranked-only once the rush dies down

Relin fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 5, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The key to enjoying quickplay more is simply backing out when you see that someone on your team is arranging an unasked-for six-hero gimmick of some sort. Just be like "no thanks" and leave. QP has backfill so oh well, it's some other poor sap's turn to learn that six Symmetras isn't actually very good.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Yep I have to admit I do that now and then as well, lining up for Anubis on attack and we have double Widow

No thanks

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Toadsmash posted:

There's plenty of times where you want to amp speed to move your reinhardt pack through a choke, or times when the enemy scatters and you can help chase kills.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Went 7-2-1 in placements with the two draws being the first point on that stupid new map. Placed at 3116 after a max of 67 last season. Can someone post the point payouts for the end of season two again please?

gently caress I need to grind.......

sleppy fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 5, 2016

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
If the match hasn't started yet I will drop out of a quickplay game for the slot I want not being open (if I've done one role 6 games in a row and there's no one doing it in this game either, for instance), us being all solo against a 6 stack, someone raging in chat during setup, etc. I'll usually stay for the dumb gimmick comps and if the game has started I'll stay to the bitter end regardless.

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
Kai, you're right. Maybe I should start focusing on zyn and ana lol. Have yet to spend much time on either, no more than 2 hours.

Also the general consensus, from reading earlier posts, is just be good enough to carry your team right? I like the way you filthy goons think.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

resistentialism posted:

There's plenty of times where you want to amp speed to move your reinhardt pack through a choke, or times when the enemy scatters and you can help chase kills.

Yeah, that post wasn't exhaustive. Sorry. I've just seen too many bad Lucios that get it in their head that amping it constantly without warning or coordinating with their team in any way is actually a good thing. It can be massively disorienting to deal with in the wrong situation.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Avail posted:

Kai, you're right. Maybe I should start focusing on zyn and ana lol. Have yet to spend much time on either, no more than 2 hours.

Also the general consensus, from reading earlier posts, is just be good enough to carry your team right? I like the way you filthy goons think.

It's not necessarily that you have to literally "carry" your team, it's just that for the most part what anyone invested in any sort of team-based competitive endeavor should be focusing on first and foremost is their own output. At its most basic this is a call for people to stop blaming their idiot shitfucker teammates, the matchmaking algorithm, tickrate, whatever, if for no other reason than A). some of this stuff simply isn't true (i.e. Blizzard didn't deliberately code a "gently caress you" clause into the MMR, if you've gone on a winning streak it doesn't arrange for you to be vastly outclassed to balance you W/L ratio by getting stomped) and B). some of it is simply out of your hands. Improving your own play, though, is the one thing you can directly and tangibly improve upon, therefore you should make that your priority. And for most people the vagaries of high-tier Overwatch aren't as much of a priority in terms of improving their performance as simply getting better at aiming, ult timing, healing, tanking, whatever it is you want to do.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
If these extremely lovely quickplay matches (4 hanzo 1 Mercy (me) 1 zarya (only other bearable person) count against my ranked placement, then I'm hosed from the get go.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

SectumSempra posted:

If these extremely lovely quickplay matches (4 hanzo 1 Mercy (me) 1 zarya (only other bearable person) count against my ranked placement, then I'm hosed from the get go.

They don't

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

That graph seems like its purely the people who have looked up their stats on MasterOverwatch, which is a tiny minority - you can notice the number of people in the highlighted bar is 758, and the highest bar would probably be around 1000 players, a little more maybe. I seriously doubt the majority of Overwatch players are gold and diamond players (idk where diamond starts). The total number of Overwatch players is in an entirely different scales, hadn't the game sold several million copies or something like that? And as already said, people who are more likely to check sites like these are more likely to be better at the game due to a willingness to analyze themselves more.

To get an idea, on Master Overwatch 60 in season 1 was listed as top 10%, but Kaplan in a video said 60 was 6% and better. So that definitely shows higher ranked people use those websites more, which skews the numbers.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Is there anything that determines who you get matched with for placement matches? Is it based off quickplay MMR or is it just purely random or something?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Slime posted:

Is there anything that determines who you get matched with for placement matches? Is it based off quickplay MMR or is it just purely random or something?

it seems that i always get placed against a decent team with communication, whilst no one on my team knows what a headset is

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TheresaJayne posted:

it seems that i always get placed against a decent team with communication, whilst no one on my team knows what a headset is

i get put on teams who don't know what a headset is but we just kind of end up working well together somehow

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Got stomped by a double Rein Bastion combo last night on Numbani because no one on my team was capable of killing them. Same group started dominating on the newest map with a standard team comp, so I switched to Bastion as they pushed the last point because I was on a losing streak so what the hell. Ended up stopping them from moving a single meter further.

Bastion is so OP on certain levels in solo queue I almost felt bad. If they toned down the self healing a little it wouldn't be so bad.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Speaking of Bastion, he seems oddly immune to certain stuff while he's in turret mode. You can charge him as Reinhardt but Earthshatter doesn't do poo poo to him, and you can hook him with hog but he'll cut you down if you try and punch him while in Primal Rage mode with Winston.

The earthshatter in particular is weird considering it stuns torb's turrets. :iiam:

He's counterable, yeah, but it's hard to counter him on your own if he's getting support of any kind like a pocket Mercy or a rein shield, so going on solo queue against a bast/rein/torb comp is a bloody nightmare.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Pretty sure earthshatter stuns bastion, just not from behind a barrier.

e: and Rein doesn't have the solo damage output to kill bastion before he recovers from stun anyways.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Last four consecutive games have had leavers and afkers in competitive mode, and caused my rating score to drop by almost a thousand points :qq:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Sade posted:

Pretty sure earthshatter stuns bastion, just not from behind a barrier.

e: and Rein doesn't have the solo damage output to kill bastion before he recovers from stun anyways.

Huh. It may have missed him somehow, because there wasn't a shield in the way and the people around him got stunned.

You can't hammer him dead straight away, but if you can stun him and then charge him against the wall you're pretty much set.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Mercy is cool and fun, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I generally use tracer to shut bastion down. You can get a clear shot at his big blue butthole but don't get caught.

Alternately, stick a pulse bomb on him.