Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Riso posted:

Historians have come around on quite a few things, saying they were good ideas at the time.

Ah yeah, the ever elusive "historians", one of the great sayer tribes.

Some thought they had been lost to time, or that they were pure fiction, like the expert sayers and the studies sayers, but in my heart I know they are real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Some thought they had been lost to time, or that they were pure fiction, like the expert sayers and the studies sayers, but in my heart I know they are real.

We appreciate it thx

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

ThaumPenguin posted:

The no retreat order in 1941/1942 is the most famous example. First heavily criticised but turns out it was the only way to save the army as fighting force and retain gains made.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Riso posted:

Historians have come around on quite a few things, saying they were good ideas at the time.

David Irving is not a historian.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Funky Valentine posted:

David Irving is not a historian.

I was thinking about Michael Jones but please do keep listing your favourite writers.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

harry turtledove is technically a historian

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I decided the sale was a good time to get back up to date with CK2 so I clicked down the list thinking all the DLC was really cheap and then hit checkout and holy poo poo it was more than I paid for the game when new nope nope nope sorry I'm out.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I decided the sale was a good time to get back up to date with CK2 so I clicked down the list thinking all the DLC was really cheap and then hit checkout and holy poo poo it was more than I paid for the game when new nope nope nope sorry I'm out.

Skip all the cosmetic and music DLC if you're worried about price, they are entirely optional. I'd say all the major DLC's are definitely worth it with special mention for Way of Life, Reapers Due and Old Gods. Sons of Abraham, Conclave and Legacy of Rome all bring good poo poo with them though and I wouldn't skip them.

Horse Lords, Republics, India and Sword of Islam are optional and only really worth getting if you want to trying playing any of those ruler types.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Legacy of Rome is core DLC now? All I remember that bringing in was event packs for Byzantium. What made it good?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

YouTuber posted:

Legacy of Rome is core DLC now? All I remember that bringing in was event packs for Byzantium. What made it good?

Isn't that the retinues one?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
:10bux: for the 2 major Skylines DLC is pretty good.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Huh, is Paradox just not doing 75%+ off sales anymore? Even Sword of Islam and Conquest of Paradise are just 66% off and I think it's been this way for the past few sales.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The only DLC I skipped on was Charlemagne. Or does that add anything besides an early starting date?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Viceroyalties, Custom Kingdoms and Empires, Chronicles, Zuni religion features (playable with The Old Gods or Charlemagne but some of their extra stuff is paywalled) and as always a wide array of events.

Don't remember if seasons were free patch or DLC.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jeoh posted:

The only DLC I skipped on was Charlemagne. Or does that add anything besides an early starting date?

charlemagne gets a bunch of events

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

YouTuber posted:

It's always been core because:

LordPants posted:

Isn't that the retinues one?

You could argue it is less so now since they got toned down a lot, but they are still pretty handy I think.

The wiki is good for listing DLC features:
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Downloadable_content#Expansions

Groogy posted:

Don't remember if seasons were free patch or DLC.

Free patch.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

charlemagne gets a bunch of events

hell yeah gonna buy it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Charlemange also lets you play as Ragnarr Lodbrok, if playing as almost certainly fictional people is your thing.

Although come to think of it, almost every non-major ruler even in the 1066 start is more or less fictional.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Are you calling the Paradox devs fictional?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm going to introduce a friend to CK2 or EU4 in multi sometime soon. I know EU4 a bit better, so I can handle that, but is (original starting date) Ireland still a good "starting area" in CK2? I think they changed it a bit? I was thinking either doing that, or making him a vassal under me in a larger nation so he can kind of sandbox and I can intervene to protect him if things start going south.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Larry Parrish posted:

Charlemange also lets you play as Ragnarr Lodbrok, if playing as almost certainly fictional people is your thing.
A fictional man who had real sons.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If you watched and liked the Vikings series, playing Ragnar in CK2 is almost mandatory

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
"Mythic History" is a good term for it; they probably did exist, did real things and had real consequences, but whether they wrestled ghosts, hid Byzantine treasure behind waterfalls or simply were relatively dull people is impossible to say~

think of it the same way you do the romance of the three kingdoms, really

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

"Mythic History" is a good term for it; they probably did exist, did real things and had real consequences, but whether they wrestled ghosts, hid Byzantine treasure behind waterfalls or simply were relatively dull people is impossible to say~

think of it the same way you do the romance of the three kingdoms, really

I think the trouble is that when you go back far enough it's hard to tell the difference between someone who might have been real but whose accomplishments were embellished to the point of myth, or someone entirely fictional, since in both cases they often treated them as about equally "real". Like compare Ragnarr to King Arthur.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Got me thinking: is there any other game where you can play Ragnar Lotbrok?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/looks-like-the-game-is-dying.965251/

Wrap it up 4ailures, HoI is dead. RIP.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
rest in pizza

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

wow. I did nazi that coming...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

wow. I did nazi that coming...

I cannot believe what I am heering

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Not even the modders can save this one for you, Podcat. How does it feel to see the accumulated filth of all your AI and design foam up about your waist and all the devs and QAs look up and shout "Save us!"... and they'll whisper "no." ?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Rollback to 2 year old version of the game and build nothing except airplanes.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

quote:

No man´s sky and Hearts of Iron IV are really making me thinking about searching for new hobbys, as my trust in the game industry is going really low.

I think, for people who take gaming this seriously, that might be the best idea

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I suspect HoI4 is doing just fine. Although, IMHO, you can only refight WW2 so many times, and it doesn't play to Paradox's strengths.

Hearts of Iron should be 1901 - 2001 and the victory condition should be the last remaining super power of your chosen ideology Democratic/Fascist/Communist without triggering a game over nuclear war. With a stronger focus on economy and population/political movements than military conflict. :colbert:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Famethrowa posted:

I think, for people who take gaming this seriously, that might be the best idea

Wait how is he mad at HOI4? You can not like it but it's basically exactly what they said it was.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
The lengths people go to project onto the developers of their favorite games never fails to amaze me.

I mean the devs must have a drinking game for each of these forum posts, or a weekly over/under betting line

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fintilgin posted:

I suspect HoI4 is doing just fine. Although, IMHO, you can only refight WW2 so many times, and it doesn't play to Paradox's strengths.

Hearts of Iron should be 1901 - 2001 and the victory condition should be the last remaining super power of your chosen ideology Democratic/Fascist/Communist without triggering a game over nuclear war. With a stronger focus on economy and population/political movements than military conflict. :colbert:

Incorrect, HoI should be 1918-2050 and the victory condition should be the last remaining superpower of your chosen ideology Democratic/Fascist/Communist/Transhumanist/Human Preservation, and have a robust system for nuclear war, depopulation, wasteland, and rebuilding from the ashes. With a stronger focus on economy and population/political movements than military conflict. :colbert:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Mister Adequate posted:

Incorrect, HoI should be 1918-2050 and the victory condition should be the last remaining superpower of your chosen ideology Democratic/Fascist/Communist/Transhumanist/Human Preservation, and have a robust system for nuclear war, depopulation, wasteland, and rebuilding from the ashes. With a stronger focus on economy and population/political movements than military conflict. :colbert:

And the other cultures you encounter should be procedurally generated.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

So basically Victoria: Modern Age.

I would play that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Narrator posted:

And the other cultures you encounter should be procedurally generated.

A Paradox postapocalyptic 4X Grand Strategy game with procedurally generated factions filling out a semi-randomly generated wasteland Earth would be insanely my poo poo. Like After the End crossed with Stellaris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
The 2-26 Incident isn't represented in vanilla, right? I guess because Japan already starts as fascist