Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
-Decide to play Rush
-7/12 of the players on my team, the attacking team, are snipers
-We lose on the first wave
-Quit Rush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
New favorite thing: shooting flashbangs in front of useless friendly snipers.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

-Decide to play Rush
-7/12 of the players on my team, the attacking team, are snipers
-We lose on the first wave
-Quit Rush
Lol Conquest was no better, at least 15 of 32 on my team in the game I'm in is are loving snipers.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Jedrick posted:

Bad Company 2 memories of spamming smoke grenades in front of wookies :allears:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Assault goes from "gently caress everything and everyone" to "This is the greatest" as soon as you can unlock the loving shotgun.

Also, DICE really, really, REALLY wants the tailgun on planes to be completely loving useless, don't they? The tracers don't seem to go anywhere near where your rounds are heading, and the damage it does to enemy planes seems to be consistent with shooting them with the MP18 from across the loving map. So if you're gunning in the bomber and you don't have competent teammates in the air (congrats, that's literally 24/7), you're guaranteed to get another plane right up your rear end that your tailgunner cannot do a single loving thing about despite laying an incredible amount of fire into them.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

On the bright side, most of the snipers will probably just stick to deathmatch games in the full release. They are definitely powerful against infantry, but in Conquest / Rush they are also doing jack poo poo to actually help win the game, and most of the capture points are designed with enough cover that some dude hiding 500 meters away in a pile of rocks isn't actually going to be able to kill people that are on the flag unless they are just standing right in the open.

Haha, is this your first Battlefield game?
Because that has never stopped or bothered wookies.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I have seen the light of the beautiful and majestic light tank, holy crap that thing is fun. It being equipped with normal shells AND canister shot as standard is amazing. I held D all on my own for wave after wave of enemy attacks, felt so good.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jedrick posted:

I love randomly wandering into one of those, I go from "Playing the game" to "STARING INTO THE HEART OF A MERCILESS SUN" in like a fifth of a second. It is one of the most profoundly dick moves you can do to someone.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Gonkish posted:

If they did that, they'd just get 63 idiots sitting by the sniper rifle spawns bitching at each other to go away.

Better option: delete snipers entirely. Force idiots to be something useful. It's the only way.

ah the old Waiting For The Jet To Spawn On The Carrier

Monocled Falcon posted:

I'm not understanding Medic guns. The low recoil and damage combined with the high rate of fire suggests they're spamy but I'm not hitting anything that way. I guess maybe the spread added per shot is much higher than the other stats should suggest.

Seems bizarre, given that smgs and sniper rifles perform pretty much the same.

I've had lots of success with the medic carbines. When on the loadout, you should notice that the damage drops off outside of 25 metres.
What i've done is take cover, close the distance then you'll wreck anyone you get close to. Hip firing them is incredibly accurate, including while moving.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Hollenhammer posted:

ah the old Waiting For The Jet To Spawn On The Carrier.

and the subsequent naval invasions of the carrier via apcs when you got bored doing laps around the map in a jeep

also nice frag video strangelove, I still have to throw mine together after work :(

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Bilal posted:

Bad Company 2 memories of spamming smoke grenades in front of wookies :allears:
The funny thing about this was that BC2 Wookies were just as good as the actual Assault class thanks to the Beepy Balls if you dropped the rifle for a DRM or Shotgun.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Monocled Falcon posted:

I'm not understanding Medic guns. The low recoil and damage combined with the high rate of fire suggests they're spamy but I'm not hitting anything that way. I guess maybe the spread added per shot is much higher than the other stats should suggest.

The Cei-Rigotti and M1907 have thoroughly ridiculous amounts of spray. The other two are much better. Also they can 3 shot at any range.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Monocled Falcon posted:

Seems bizarre, given that smgs and sniper rifles perform pretty much the same.

BF name.

Same as here xyigx

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
The recent patch removed the time limit so the train can actually make a difference now.

Things still go wrong though.

https://gfycat.com/MajesticAlienatedAsianwaterbuffalo

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Gonkish posted:

Assault goes from "gently caress everything and everyone" to "This is the greatest" as soon as you can unlock the loving shotgun.

Also, DICE really, really, REALLY wants the tailgun on planes to be completely loving useless, don't they? The tracers don't seem to go anywhere near where your rounds are heading, and the damage it does to enemy planes seems to be consistent with shooting them with the MP18 from across the loving map. So if you're gunning in the bomber and you don't have competent teammates in the air (congrats, that's literally 24/7), you're guaranteed to get another plane right up your rear end that your tailgunner cannot do a single loving thing about despite laying an incredible amount of fire into them.

Oh thank gently caress, I thought it was me despite landing so many shots at the enemy.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Delacroix posted:

The recent patch removed the time limit so the train can actually make a difference now.

Things still go wrong though.

https://gfycat.com/MajesticAlienatedAsianwaterbuffalo

The horse avenging the death of its master seems more like the right thing happening.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

How does locational damage work with the bigger vehicles? Like I was in a tank with some goons last night and one of the sponson was knocked out. I repaired the main body to 100 health but the thing wouldn't move.

It was behaving like an actual Mark IV/V!

EDIT: Sponson, not spontoon. The latter is a military short pike.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 5, 2016

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

Croccers posted:

The funny thing about this was that BC2 Wookies were just as good as the actual Assault class thanks to the Beepy Balls if you dropped the rifle for a DRM or Shotgun.

This is how I'm trying to play scout in the beta. Popping flare and then popping heads with an iron sighted sniper. It's working pretty well - managed 32 kills in the last match

Also setting people on fire with the flare is the greatest feeling.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

On the bright side, most of the snipers will probably just stick to deathmatch games in the full release. They are definitely powerful against infantry, but in Conquest / Rush they are also doing jack poo poo to actually help win the game, and most of the capture points are designed with enough cover that some dude hiding 500 meters away in a pile of rocks isn't actually going to be able to kill people that are on the flag unless they are just standing right in the open.

It's annoying when someone gets a lucky shot from a mile away while you're sprinting across open ground, but that also means one less enemy who will be contesting your capture attempts. Also you can just hop in the tank hunter land cruiser or grab the AT gun and beat them at their own game, which I'm sure makes them shart their jorts in rage. And running cavalry against them is amazingly cathartic.

The most annoying thing about snipers is when they are all on your team. I can't even imagine how long it takes to rank up / get unlocks when you are constantly going 4/0 or 4/1 every game and have 0 objective points. Gotta maintain that K/D ratio though...

I like sniping in this because I can just get really stoned and protect/call targets on 2 points from 1 position. Yeah it's lazy but this is a beta and the map sucks.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The best thing about the snipers who camp up by F and on the dunes facing D is that they are so easily flanked and you can just murder them all with your preferred melee weapon of choice because they have no peripheral vision.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Speaking of murdering unaware pubbies, will we keep the tags we collected after the beta or is this sort of a all tears in the rain sort of thing?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Chronojam posted:

I'm not sure, I'm just using the old Microsoft movie maker to save off 1080/60 and it's working as you see here :(

So here's a video of shooting at airplanes. I have only used the actual AA truck for a couple seconds so far. The autocannon tank seemed alright when I used it, also. I'm not sure I like it in general though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSQ0JUzaykg

I'm not sure where the footage went of riding a light tank on a biplane though, that was fun. For like five seconds before it crashed. Fun fact, the game actually gives infantry riding on airplanes the right click "peek over and shoot" prompt to allow you to fire over the top wing while you're riding in the pilot's lap. For all the bad choices and curious faults, that's an odd thing to have working properly.

Thanks man. I had assumed there was a better free tool out there by now. Turns out no but who cares it's perfect for what I need to do, trim and combine. Putting together a shotgun montage, music will be let the bodies hit the floor obviously.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Guys I am in love with the Howitzer tank and just playing like a huge, aggressive jerk and getting away with it.

I'm going to be seriously sad once everyone learns how to really kill Light Tanks (but until then I will enjoy my deathless games).

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

It's annoying when someone gets a lucky shot from a mile away while you're sprinting across open ground, but that also means one less enemy who will be contesting your capture attempts. Also you can just hop in the tank hunter land cruiser or grab the AT gun and beat them at their own game, which I'm sure makes them shart their jorts in rage. And running cavalry against them is amazingly cathartic.

The most annoying thing about snipers is when they are all on your team. I can't even imagine how long it takes to rank up / get unlocks when you are constantly going 4/0 or 4/1 every game and have 0 objective points. Gotta maintain that K/D ratio though...

Best way to scout is to take one of the bolt/lever action rifles without a scope and pretend you're actually in WW1 and play aggressive as gently caress with it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

K8.0 posted:

The Cei-Rigotti and M1907 have thoroughly ridiculous amounts of spray. The other two are much better. Also they can 3 shot at any range.

The m1907 automatic is really good and has stupidly accurate hipfire.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Look Around You posted:

Best way to scout is to take one of the bolt/lever action rifles without a scope and pretend you're actually in WW1 and play aggressive as gently caress with it.
Best way to scout is to be cav instead

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Croccers posted:

Recon with the full auto sniper rifle was an amazing class. You could even put a red dot on the normal snipers and use them at close range. Since those options were good and effective, you never saw any of them being used.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Look Around You posted:

The G98 is so good. I've counter sniped scoped snipers with the iron sights. The bullet drop is minimal.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
You people weren't kidding; dismounted cav is the best class. They're incredibly hard to kill, completely self-sufficient, and their rifle is amazing. I just went 21-2 (shut up, that's good for me) by playing super agressively, moving from cover to cover between every shot. Horesman is going to get nerfed into dust, so I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Mordja posted:

You people weren't kidding; dismounted cav is the best class. They're incredibly hard to kill, completely self-sufficient, and their rifle is amazing. I just went 21-2 (shut up, that's good for me) by playing super agressively, moving from cover to cover between every shot. Horesman is going to get nerfed into dust, so I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

I don't get it, do horsemen seriously have enough hp to survive 5 shots from a scout rifle? Because that's what it feels like when I go on murdersprees with the class

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

goodness posted:

I like sniping in this because I can just get really stoned and protect/call targets on 2 points from 1 position. Yeah it's lazy but this is a beta and the map sucks.
You understand you're not the typical sniper yes?

Another thing overwatch' made me realize is all multiplayer games need internal MMR.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Eh... I don't think it will get nerfed. Horseman is an Officer, so he's the ultimate support for a squad. I would imagine the worst he will face will be a crappier gun to try and force him into a in the rear with the med packs support role.

P.S. Get a friend with the rocket gun and feed him ammo while you provide cover on his flanks. Fun for the whole family!!!!

Does anyone want to talk about Support? It feels Support has virtually no place. Hardly anyone needs ammo, and the support weapons have pretty bad accuracy at full auto in prone and the RoF isn't high enough to compete with the assault zerg rush in close quarters. The Marksman has forced the support to retire in BF1 it seems. Thoughts?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Infinite AT grenades, the trench variant of one of the machineguns, and trip mines make Support a real mean sonuvabitch in urban fights.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Once you get some of the later support guns they aren't that bad and you can get nearly unlimited light anti-tank grenades.

I've actually done alright taking out snipers from mid to long range with the rank 1/rank 2 support MGs.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NuckmasterJ posted:

Does anyone want to talk about Support? It feels Support has virtually no place. Hardly anyone needs ammo, and the support weapons have pretty bad accuracy at full auto in prone and the RoF isn't high enough to compete with the assault zerg rush in close quarters. The Marksman has forced the support to retire in BF1 it seems. Thoughts?

Support sucks because their weapons have retarded design. The longer you fire making your weapon more accurate sounds good, until you realize that only 1 gun has 100(or 200 with the variant) rounds. And even that one can overheat if you fire 30 bullets leaving you vulnerable for a little bit while you do the cooling off animation. So you just have inaccurate guns that take a few warm up shots before they start to actually become effective, unlike everyone else. You can't even burstfire them at range because your initial spread is poo poo so it doesn't matter. IMO they should change the weapons that have less than 100 rounds to work like normal guns, then leave the actual machine gun to work as it currently does ie gets more accurate as you fire. Their gadget selection really hurts them too. I mean you can drop ammo and tripmines. Woo? They should get dynamite and AT landmines too.

Their only saving grace are the instantly reloading grenades from the ammo pouch, which is almost certainly not intended seeing as the ammo crate doesn't work that way.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Support is incredibly strong right now but I heard they're going to nerf grenade resupply which would make the class useless (and also make tanks actually as broken as most people think they are).

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Bohemian Nights posted:

I don't get it, do horsemen seriously have enough hp to survive 5 shots from a scout rifle? Because that's what it feels like when I go on murdersprees with the class

A single headshot will take them out. But it seems the torso has damage reduction similar to the MG08/15 sentry kit. At least that's how it feels playing them or trying to kill them.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I'd roll another class if they all had bolt action rifles. Medic guns are OK. Every other gun sucks rear end past 50 yards, some don't even make it that far.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Support sucks because their weapons have retarded design. The longer you fire making your weapon more accurate sounds good, until you realize that only 1 gun has 100(or 200 with the variant) rounds. And even that one can overheat if you fire 30 bullets leaving you vulnerable for a little bit while you do the cooling off animation. So you just have inaccurate guns that take a few warm up shots before they start to actually become effective, unlike everyone else. You can't even burstfire them at range because your initial spread is poo poo so it doesn't matter. IMO they should change the weapons that have less than 100 rounds to work like normal guns, then leave the actual machine gun to work as it currently does ie gets more accurate as you fire. Their gadget selection really hurts them too. I mean you can drop ammo and tripmines. Woo? They should get dynamite and AT landmines too.

Their only saving grace are the instantly reloading grenades from the ammo pouch, which is almost certainly not intended seeing as the ammo crate doesn't work that way.

well, support does have the coolest looking weapons with the best reloading animations :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

They should make support guns become more accurate relative to their magazine size.