Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snak posted:

Netflix is dead to me. I don't know is this is what aired but Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6, episode 7 is butchered beyond belief. I have the dvd. Every other line is cut for time. It's not even funny on Netflix. Like, if I was watching this show for the first time, I would think it sucked rear end.

Edit: like, there's a good chance this is just the tv edit. But, holy gently caress, I've never seen this edit and it sucks.

Not sure why you wouldn't mention it but of course that's the famous musical episode, it's longer than a normal ep so I assume it was edited down for broadcast and as said Netflix must have the syndication version of the ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Action was a Jay Mohr sitcom, unless there's another one I'm blanking on?

IMDb lists it as a comedy / drama, so you're probably both talking about the same show but labeling it as a different genre.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Snak that's the musical episode right? The version on Netflix is the version I watched in syndication a good 13 years ago. It totally stinks they don't have the full version of the episode (AND THE ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT PILOT), but it's not their decision.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Netflix version of the first season of Supernatural doesn't have any of the music rights. So you have a really awkward scene in the first episode where Sam comments on how Dean's music is all old classic rock tapes and then you never actually hear any of it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

muscles like this? posted:

The Netflix version of the first season of Supernatural doesn't have any of the music rights. So you have a really awkward scene in the first episode where Sam comments on how Dean's music is all old classic rock tapes and then you never actually hear any of it.

Oh that's weird, is that just the first season?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, that's the strangest part. It is only the first season. The rest of the show (at least until season 6 when I stopped watching) has licensed music.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, that's the strangest part. It is only the first season. The rest of the show (at least until season 6 when I stopped watching) has licensed music.

They didn't secure music rights early on probably. Scrubs is the same way, for the first 3 seasons or so there's three versions of music for the show on some episodes. One for broadcast (and presumably syndication as well), one for the DVD release, and one for international/streaming. Outside of maybe 5 instances it's pretty hard to tell if the music is the same or not. On those instances however, it's really really noticeable because the replacements are either mind numbingly generic sounding or are songs that don't fit the editing.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
At least you guys can watch the actual full versions of your shows somewhere, with all the scenes and original music intact. As far as I can tell, the original Direct TV versions of FNL Seasons 3-5 are lost to history. You can't even :filez: them anymore. :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Action was a Jay Mohr sitcom, unless there's another one I'm blanking on?

From what I recall, I guess it could qualify as a drama, but i also recall it being total poo poo, which is redundant when you're taking about a show starring Jay Mohr.

raditts fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 5, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only thing Action was notable for was for having characters swear and bleeping them.

Speaking of censoring swears, it was kind of funny how last week's Mr Robot had characters swearing in Chinese and the subtitles just had "F "

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The cast shots for the new season of Masters of Sex are ON POINT.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

wayfinder posted:

Uh, no? The question was who started with rotating cast introducing a 'previously on...' segment

raditts posted:

What show would you guys say kicked off the current trend of heavily serialized TV shows? I'm sure there have been others before, but it seems like Lost was the first "big" one.

Only if you didn't give it the action movie treatment it deserves.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

less laughter posted:

The cast shots for the new season of Masters of Sex are ON POINT.

Man I used to really like that show but it just lost me over the past two seasons, to the point where I forgot to watch the finale last year and never got around to it. Not sure I'm coming back for the new season unless I hear some seriously positive reviews.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Scrubs is the same way, for the first 3 seasons or so there's three versions of music for the show on some episodes. One for broadcast (and presumably syndication as well), one for the DVD release, and one for international/streaming. Outside of maybe 5 instances it's pretty hard to tell if the music is the same or not. On those instances however, it's really really noticeable because the replacements are either mind numbingly generic sounding or are songs that don't fit the editing.

There's a second season episode in which JD and Elliot hook up, and in the original version it uses "Dreaming of You" by The Coral, and the Netflix version has some incredibly generic buttrock over it. I had the biggest :what: face when my wife and I were rewatching the show a while back.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

:argh:

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

ShakeZula posted:

Man I used to really like that show but it just lost me over the past two seasons, to the point where I forgot to watch the finale last year and never got around to it. Not sure I'm coming back for the new season unless I hear some seriously positive reviews.

Despite how often this show was brought up I actually never got around to it. Is it possible to say what went wrong with the last two seasons without spoiling it and if it's worth checking out the earlier seasons at all?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

anti-magic posted:

Despite how often this show was brought up I actually never got around to it. Is it possible to say what went wrong with the last two seasons without spoiling it and if it's worth checking out the earlier seasons at all?

The first season is legit great, the second season gets bogged down in social commentary and feels like wheel-spinning, and the third had trouble with its time jumps and just felt flat.

There are good things throughout, and the performances by Sheen and Caplan are solid and occasionally brilliant, but as a whole it just loses steam and get more soapy as it goes along.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kaizoku posted:

I really liked The Get Down, but it isn't without it's flaws (like any other Baz Luhrmann project). Spoiler assumes the you've finished what's available: I don't necessarily agree that the series isn't suited for binging, but where the season(? Part? Act? Book?) ends isn't incredibly satisfying, so a binge feels incomplete. All-in-all, it feels to me like it's meant to be viewed and told as a whole and the episode/season distinctions placed upon an already complete story instead of being filmed for them to have distinct purposes. Which is fine, but it leaves a sour taste in a binge.

The conflict in the final episode sucked. By placing the speech and the rap battle at the same time, and the fact that one of the themes of the show is prioritizing conflicting responsibilities, it was lovely to tease the conflict but let Zeke succeed in both. There was no reason that the rap battle being overheard in the speech was the same one Zeke needed to be at if the show was just going to have him do both successfully anyway. Sure, I don't doubt that there will be repercussions for trying to do both in the end, but it doesn't leave much for the viewer to think about between seasons for Zeke to have his cake and eat it too right there.

Basically, what you said. It's messy in it's current state, but I think that's because it's more meant to be along the lines of Berlin, Alexanderplatz--a miniseries viewed as a whole in quick succession, not segemented. Because that option isn't available until the second season-thing drops, I understand the muted reception.

Yeah the season ending is aribitrary and off-putting, something more due to constraints created by the budget and Netflix's demands then something naturally created by the story.

I still like it a lot though, warts and all.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

While that was stupid I think it was salvaged by the rap battle being great. Sure would like some more effort would be put into including actual show songs into the soundtrack next season though. Empire put The Get Down to shame in that regard.

Episode 1 & 2 stand out for me due to the literal controversy dress and all the mythological aspects pushed forward before the evening in episode 1. Everything about Shaolin Fantastic before he gets revealed to the main cast is A+ grade television.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

ShakeZula posted:

The first season is legit great, the second season gets bogged down in social commentary and feels like wheel-spinning, and the third had trouble with its time jumps and just felt flat.

There are good things throughout, and the performances by Sheen and Caplan are solid and occasionally brilliant, but as a whole it just loses steam and get more soapy as it goes along.
I'm jumping back in but yeah the show is probably like Ray Donovan or something, it's a "prestige cable show" but it doesn't really ever stand out besides the basic premise and no one really talks about them in any meaningful way except when it's a new season and people go, "hey I remember this show."

Don't get me wrong the performances are great but the writing has to be saved by it constantly. I actually feel like at times I absolutely despise the main throughline of the last 2 seasons but I always enjoy the side characters immensely much more. Which is weird cause the show is this vehicle for Sheen and Caplan - who again, do outstanding work - but I feel like they are just mired in generic prestige-drama tropes with maybe the period design to save them, along with the supporting cast.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Not true. She was hired to work in Jamie's shop and just gradually started appearing on the show. You can see her around from the very first few shows.

then let's hope it is a good show and they don't just act like jackasses all the time as they were often required to do on the old show

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grant was actually the only one who was specifically hired to be on the show as also in early first season episodes you see Tory wandering around the background or doing some random chore.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sober posted:

I'm jumping back in but yeah the show is probably like Ray Donovan or something, it's a "prestige cable show" but it doesn't really ever stand out besides the basic premise and no one really talks about them in any meaningful way except when it's a new season and people go, "hey I remember this show."

Don't get me wrong the performances are great but the writing has to be saved by it constantly. I actually feel like at times I absolutely despise the main throughline of the last 2 seasons but I always enjoy the side characters immensely much more. Which is weird cause the show is this vehicle for Sheen and Caplan - who again, do outstanding work - but I feel like they are just mired in generic prestige-drama tropes with maybe the period design to save them, along with the supporting cast.

My wife and I watched Masters of Sex from the beginning, but aside from the excellent first season, we found ourselves caring less and less beyond that. I think it's the writing, and the need to be this deadly serious prestige drama with deadly serious social commentary working against it.

Caplan is as wonderful as you think, Sheen is great but his character is so detestable, but the show got more and more soapy and drawn-out, with too much emphasis on their fictional children and paramours, and not enough time spent with the entertaining supporting cast who provide much-needed comic relief (Betty and her girlfriend, Lester and Jane).

Normally we would resubscribe to Showtime just for the new season, but we're not even gonna bother this time. We'll just binge-watch it next year when we resubscribe for Twin Peaks instead.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm sure whatever's left of Buffy The Vampire Slayer after the edits is still sufficient enough for people to figure out it's not good without too much of a time sink.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I've just binge watched all of Casual today and really enjoyed it. Was it always planned for Hulu or did a network bail ala Kimmy Schmidt?

blunt fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 5, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

I'm sure whatever's left of Buffy The Vampire Slayer after the edits is still sufficient enough for people to figure out it's not good without too much of a time sink.

The worst omission I can think of off the top of my head was when they had Twin Peaks but didn't have the pilot, because a lot of people tracked down the pilot to watch it first and wound up seeing the European cut of the pilot that was released as a stand-alone movie where they tacked on an ending that spoiled who the killer was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

There's a second season episode in which JD and Elliot hook up, and in the original version it uses "Dreaming of You" by The Coral, and the Netflix version has some incredibly generic buttrock over it. I had the biggest :what: face when my wife and I were rewatching the show a while back.

When Comedy Central was airing it I started noticing a lot of that and it was very frustrating.

X-O posted:

At the time Buffy was very ground breaking and quite good but it has aged terribly. Just horribly to the point that it's borderline unwatchable even if you enjoyed it during it's original run.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Buffy is both great and timeless.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snak posted:

Buffy is both great and timeless.

Sort of and NOPE.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah buffy is extremely a time and place thing, most of what I've seen recently does not hold up particularly well. I still hold up The Body as one of my favourite TV episodes ever, though, if nothing else.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
Angel was a better show, ultimately.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

UnquietDream posted:

Angel was a better show, ultimately.

I found it basically unwatchable.

Edit: unwatchable is a strong word. I found it to be a boring slog with very little interesting character development.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Snak posted:

I found it basically unwatchable.

Edit: unwatchable is a strong word. I found it to be a boring slog with very little interesting character development.

This is the same show we're talking about? I mean, I can see that criticism with season 1, but character development was leaps and bounds more interesting than Buffy at the time. Literally every character that crossed over was given better material to work with.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Angel is one of the better spin-offs of all time but Buffy is the better show. And it's still great, even if it's a little dated.

I do kind of hate that it made every show feel like a musical episode was a good and doable idea though, because while Buffy's was great most others are just awful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When I say it's dated I mean that 75% of their problems could be solved with a cell phone.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

When I say it's dated I mean that 75% of their problems could be solved with a cell phone.

Yeah, but who cares?

Like, I watch old shows all the time, and the fact that they take place in the past now and obviously modern technology doesn't exist in their settings doesn't really impact their quality in any meaningful way.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

ShakeZula posted:

Angel is one of the better spin-offs of all time but Buffy is the better show. And it's still great, even if it's a little dated.

I do kind of hate that it made every show feel like a musical episode was a good and doable idea though, because while Buffy's was great most others are just awful.

Angel attempted and succeed at dealing with issues in a more nuanced way than the Buffy's whole "The Good guys always wear white hats and are stalwart and true". And yeah I know Buffy did have some subtlety to it but ultimately the big bad was almost always unambiguously evil. Whereas the big bad's of Angel were that most evil thing, the idea of compromise, which devil will you do a deal with to get rid of the other devil? In opposition to the Buffy school of punch both devils in the face, then bring down a large structure on-top of them to stop them from being devilly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snak posted:

Yeah, but who cares?

New viewers tend to be turned off by shows that feel dated. I can't sit through early Supernatural seasons because of the ancient tech they use.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rhyno posted:

New viewers tend to be turned off by shows that feel dated. I can't sit through early Supernatural seasons because of the ancient tech they use.

That's a really strange thing to get hung up on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Regy Rusty posted:

That's a really strange thing to get hung up on

I've seen it repeated across the various discussions on these shows. One of the things I was warned about when I started Supernatural was to be aware of how dated season one looks.

• Locked thread