Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

:aaaaa:

All this time I thought Hickman's was the last, i could've been reading more ff!!!

I think Fraction's Fantastic Four was meh, but the FF was really good. I'm kinda sad they walked back some growth Scott Lang had in that for the sake of matching him up with the movie version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Toxxupation posted:

I think, creatively (and probably commercially) speaking, Marvel selling off mutant rights has only helped their MCU. Look at how little money FOX makes in comparison to DC and Marvel, and consider that Marvel turned the group of also-ran Justice League knockoffs that were pre-Bendis Avengers into one of the highest grossing movie franchises ever. With mutant access, we'd have Iron Man checking in with Xavier every other loving minute, Wolverine would be in every goddamn movie bubbing up a storm, and every single team movie would've been some variation of an iconic X-Men story. It would've been overbearing.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. That because of the limits they found themselves working under, they had to do some things "small", and not integrate every major part of the entire universe all at once. I could see that backfiring just as you mention above; even less focus because they feel compelled to include a cutaway to the Baxter Building and then Xavier's school. Bizarrely, I can see it kind of backfiring like the DC movies that try to do too much too quickly are.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

60s Namor is always great. He shows up in early Daredevil to try and contract Nelson & Murdock because he's tired of fighting and now he wants to sue the surface world for what they've done to the oceans. The whole issue is amazing slapstick with DD in civilian lawyer mode for a huge chunk of the issue while Namor just goes around ripping doors off the hinges because he's too impatient to knock.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think the MCU is fine without the X-Men. The X-Men bring a LOT of characters and a lot of baggage that could've weighed things down in the early goings. While I think Wolverine in a cameo in Captain America would've kicked rear end, it probably wouldn't have been worth it. Fantastic Four on the other hand I feel the MCU could've used. They obviously could've used the MCU. We'd get a lot of good out of them being in the MCU as it exists today. Thing, Hulk, and Thor interactions. Reed, Bruce, Spidey, and Tony. Spidey and Human Torch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If Marvel ever gets the FF movie rights back, they should do it as a period piece set in the 60's. Give it the hopeful "SUPER-Science of Tomorrow!" angle. Like Johnny Quest, except actually interesting and fun.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 5, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think the X-Men is better off without the rest, though growing up I was always more a fan of the X-Men than anything else so I'm kind of biased. But I think it's pretty agreeable that there's more than enough X-Men stories and characters by themselves to mine for a century.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

I think Fraction's Fantastic Four was meh, but the FF was really good. I'm kinda sad they walked back some growth Scott Lang had in that for the sake of matching him up with the movie version.

I personally think it was underrated, tbh. I really like the way that it and FF's stories tied together at the end after initially seeming unrelated.

Though I agree about feeling sad about Lang getting regressed so he can fit more in line with his movie persona.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 5, 2016

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016

Silver2195 posted:

Kirby Without Words is an interesting discussion of early Marvel Comics (especially the original Fantastic Four run) focusing on how Lee's text sometimes changed this stories told by Kirby's art: http://kirbywithoutwords.tumblr.com/tagged/kirbywithoutwords/chrono

It turns out that Lee was really sexist back in the day, and in general had a tendency to ruin Kirby's interesting ideas.

I think he did this early in Ditko's Spider-Man comics too. There are quite a few panels where the word balloons seem at odds with the art.

Mover posted:

60s Namor is always great. He shows up in early Daredevil to try and contract Nelson & Murdock because he's tired of fighting and now he wants to sue the surface world for what they've done to the oceans. The whole issue is amazing slapstick with DD in civilian lawyer mode for a huge chunk of the issue while Namor just goes around ripping doors off the hinges because he's too impatient to knock.

Do you know what issue that is? It sounds like a blast to read. (Wait never mind, I just saw your post in the funny panels thread.)

I heard that the Namor movie rights were back in Marvel's hands, and I so, so want him to be an Avengers antagonist. Like, not a straight villain who they can just beat up and call it a day, but instead someone who makes their lives miserable, yet they have to all team up anyway.

gus rules ok fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 5, 2016

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

gus rules ok posted:

Do you know what issue that is? It sounds like a blast to read.

Daredevil #7, from the original run. Also the first appearance of the red costume I'm pretty sure.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

It really seemed like Fraction wanted to do FF and not Fantastic Four but Marvel wanted someone to write both since that's what Hickman did.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Fraction did a fine job with the Fantastic Four. It's pretty clear he binge read the Lee/Kirby run. Plus, he was pretty much living that family dynamic. Just throw in Bendis as the Thing, and some other friend as Johnny, and you got the Fraction family.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

Fraction did a fine job with the Fantastic Four. It's pretty clear he binge read the Lee/Kirby run. Plus, he was pretty much living that family dynamic. Just throw in Bendis as the Thing, and some other friend as Johnny, and you got the Fraction family.

Gotta be Zdarsky.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Yvonmukluk posted:

Gotta be Zdarsky.

Yeah my brain instantly pegged Chip for a Johnny Storm

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If Marvel ever gets the FF movie rights back, they should do it as a period piece set in the 60's. Give it the hopeful "SUPER-Science of Tomorrow!" angle. Like Johnny Quest, except actually interesting and fun.

Agreed completely. But First Class is my favorite x-men movie, so that might color my judgment somewhat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think if they slowly introduced X-men into the MCU it would work. Have something like "around the turn of the century, mutants started to appear in greater numbers" and have a very small population that is made up of some of the more popular/interesting characters. It can be implied that Mutants have existed previously, but they were so small in number and hidden that no one knew, well, except Fury, but that's only expected.

Maybe I've always liked the Dynamic between the X-men and wider Marvel universe, the friendships that exist between Wolverine and Cap, or more obviously with me, the dynamic between Rogue and Carol.

I will never, ever forgive Singer for what they did to Rogue in the movies. God drat, hey lets take who is probably the most popular at the time female X-men and just make her a plot device, and then just have her mope around for 2 more movies.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

twistedmentat posted:

the most popular at the time female X-men

Jean Grey definitely and Kitty Pryde probably outstrip her in popularity.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wish this type of Fantastic Four movie would get made - I love this concept. A period piece in the sixties with quirky/campy sci-fi elements would be great and I'm totally onboard

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxxupation posted:

Jean Grey definitely and Kitty Pryde probably outstrip her in popularity.

Really? I got the impression Rogue was by far the most popular, as she was such a major character in the 92 series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Either way, nowadays no one gives a poo poo about Rogue.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

twistedmentat posted:

Really? I got the impression Rogue was by far the most popular, as she was such a major character in the 92 series.

I mean, if you know one X-Men story at all it's TDPS, and Kitty Pryde basically blueprinted every single element of Rogue's story whilst not having The World's Worst Accent or The World's Second-Worst Romance (behind Jean Grey and Cyclops, which is intolerably terrible but something you just have to deal with if you like Jean Grey).

I mean, again, Kitty Pryde was basically engineered in a factory to be one of the most popular Marvel characters ever. She's a super smart computer nerd who's attractive in that bookish, sorta Velma-esque way that makes her seem attainable, whose specific set of powers means that she functions as audience insert - she's able to observe events as they happen without being in any danger of getting hurt, allowing her to react to developments the way a reader would. She aged alongside the people who read comics. In essence, she was Every Comic Book Reader's Girlfriend. In contrast, Rogue's whole deal is a thinly or not-so-thinly veiled sexual frustration metaphor - which, in and of itself, is relatable to the people who read comics, but definitely not as appealing as Tech Geek Girl Immortal Jewish Waifu.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kitty Pryde was pretty big in the 80s but despite the attempts of several modern writers I don't think she's nearly as popular as she once was.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Pretty sure Storm has always been the most popular X-Woman

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
In the 80s yeah. Without Claremont around she kind of went the way of colossus.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CharlestheHammer posted:

In the 80s yeah. Without Claremont around she kind of went the way of colossus.

This is exactly it. Kitty and Jean were major 80s characters, but Rogue became much more popular in the 90s, especially when they paired her with Gambit. Thinking about it, i wouldn't be surprised if Kitty had been the main character in the origonal script, but it was changed to Rogue because she was the more popular character at the time.

And I like Kitty enough, but she certainly lags behind Rogue, Magik and Emma as one of my favorite X-ladies. Though Kitty has a good enough portrayal in the movies, unlike Rogue. I think I like Kitty more in the last few years than Teen Kitty.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I find Kitty profoundly unlikeable in all her appearances. She's always moralizing at other people and being 'quirky' and everyone loves her for no reason. Plus she keeps saying the n-word.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Rogue can fly and hit things really hard, which made for good TV to little kid me

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

Plus she keeps saying the n-word.

What?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

God Loves, Man Kills, one of the more/most important X-Men stories ever. It's Claremont addressing racism, so at one point Kitty Pryde tearfully analogizes the word "mutie" with the word "friend of the family". It's pretty overwrought but, especially for its time and considering it's loving Claremont, pretty effective.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

God Loves, Man Kills, one of the more/most important X-Men stories ever. It's Claremont addressing racism, so at one point Kitty Pryde tearfully analogizes the word "mutie" with the word "friend of the family". It's pretty overwrought but, especially for its time and considering it's loving Claremont, pretty effective.

That wasn't even the only time!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxxupation posted:

Yea, I think that context it works, but the one that was way out of place was during an eulogy she's says a long stream of racial slurs to try to prove the same point, and it's just terrible. Though modern writers have avoided using that kind of language. The closest I can think of is when she was talking about Havok's speech with telling Scott's team about how she was on a date with a regular kid and he makes some horrible Jewish joke and she's offended. I think she say's kike, but only in repeating what the boy said.

site posted:

Rogue can fly and hit things really hard, which made for good TV to little kid me

I liked from the comics her conflicts about being a villain and trying to be accepted by the team.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Hey look, it's the Shocker from Spider-Man Homecoming

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Menace of the A/V Club!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I knew those Nintendo power gloves would be worth something someday!!!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dacap posted:

I hope they adapt this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWRjsqoSWTI

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Once is making a point, two is pushing it, but 3?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jesus that last one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dacap posted:

Oh cool I didn't know Max Landis was writing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Dacap posted:

Finally. Man I hope the do the shocker well and it isn't some Rhino bullshit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Claymation in a major movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr Hootington posted:

Finally. Man I hope the do the shocker well and it isn't some Rhino bullshit.

The Rhino was extremely poorly handled all around. Shocker is great for these kinds of small cameos. Even if he only appears in like, one frame of a montage, that's his thing nowadays. A quick reminder that between the alien parasites and revenge crusades, sometimes Spider-Man deals with plain ol'supercriminals.

• Locked thread