Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Untagged posted:

Isn't there a website where you can enter all your various card points from different sources and it tells you the best way to redeem them? Googling just gives me websites that let you calculate current point value.

I don't think there is anything like that as the best way to redeem points is somewhat subjective but is generally pretty obvious. I'm sure you can google redemption options for a specific point type and there will be a list. You might be thinking of the TPG app which lets you enter credit cards you have and then will tell you the best card to use to purchase stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

In general it seems redeeming various points usually nets you the most "value" when redeemed as airline points/miles. The worst value seem to always be redeeming them for cash or cash like purposes ( for instance Amex MR points are worth 0.7 cents when shopping at Amazon with points, and as low as 0.5 cents for amex gift cards or statement credit. Citi ThankYou points are 0.8)

I rarely fly for personal travel so airline miles are generally worthless to me and this is where value becomes subjective. Right now I'm using the Citi double cash card for almost everything and just banking the cash . I'm sitting on about 27K Amex points and have no idea how to use them, I may transfer them to JetBlue if we fly to Disney World again as they have a nice direct flight to Orlando where I live . The last 2 years I ran almost everything through my Chase Disney card and managed over 1200 dollars in Disney bucks which covered a huge chunk of our spending money at Disney. Another points card we have from a local credit union I just use the points for gift cards to the movies. (The movies got expensive!)

I think a meaningful way to spend the points/rewards that works with your lifestyle is just as important as earning them which is why I don't have any airline cards at this point in my life. The credit union card does do 3% on travel though so I'm not totally missing out on that category. I don't like to play the game too much though, so I limit my spend to 2 cards usually even if it doesn't "maximize" the transaction value.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

skipdogg posted:

I think a meaningful way to spend the points/rewards that works with your lifestyle is just as important as earning them which is why I don't have any airline cards at this point in my life.
This is why I hit 4k spend on my CSP. Banked the 50k points and haven't touched it since then. I'm probably moving before the end of the year and will grab a CSR and use it/the-points to visit home. Right now everything goes onto the double cash. Cash is easy to spend, even if its not the best possible value.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
CSR story. I have definitely applied for five cards or more in the past two years. Everyone had an AU. I applied and received as notice they needed to get back to me later or some other language. Following guidance from a miles blog I did nothing. They said calling in that state will almost certainly end up in a denial. I haven't received any feedback yet but logged onto my chase account and see the CSR sitting there so I expect it soon.

So don't call if you don't get outright denied, let their process work and you may get it. YMMV of course.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've gotten to the point where I stopped using my credit cards for the most part and my older ones (10+ years) have begun closing due to lack of use. It doesn't bother me much, my Discover card I got when I had terrible credit and had a 29% APR with a $20,000 limit, so I didn't even carry it with me.

However, I'm at the point now where I only have two actual credit cards - the Amazon Visa and an American Express Blue card. Both of those are relatively low limit cards ($5k-$7k). Will I be suffering if I don't have a high "available credit" card on my credit report? Should I ask for a limit increase on one of them? I generally don't carry a balance, but use the Amazon card exclusively and pay it off monthly just to get the Amazon points.

Or would it be a better idea to explore a different card option now that I have good credit and a very realistic debt/income ratio?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Medullah posted:

I've gotten to the point where I stopped using my credit cards for the most part and my older ones (10+ years) have begun closing due to lack of use. It doesn't bother me much, my Discover card I got when I had terrible credit and had a 29% APR with a $20,000 limit, so I didn't even carry it with me.

However, I'm at the point now where I only have two actual credit cards - the Amazon Visa and an American Express Blue card. Both of those are relatively low limit cards ($5k-$7k). Will I be suffering if I don't have a high "available credit" card on my credit report? Should I ask for a limit increase on one of them? I generally don't carry a balance, but use the Amazon card exclusively and pay it off monthly just to get the Amazon points.

Or would it be a better idea to explore a different card option now that I have good credit and a very realistic debt/income ratio?

The best thing for your credit is to call up discover and see if you can get that 20k 10 year line opened up again. Set up amazon allowance to put a buck on it every 9 months or so and forget it if you don't want to use it.

You should get a better card for everyday spend. I like the fidelity 2%, but the citi double cash seems like the thread favorite.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Virtue posted:

The youtube videos I've watched suggest that the CSR is the same metal as the CSP so no incentive to upgrade there but that 100k sign up bonus is too good to pass up. Won't be applying until the end of the year though so crossing my fingers that they don't pull the bonus before then.

Yeah I'm in nearly the same boat. Any guess on how long the offer will be around?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Medullah posted:

Letting old cards with big lines of credit close is a pretty effective way to ding your credit score. They look at the overall length of time your accounts have been open, and losing a ten year card will greatly reduce the average. Opening a new card won't offset the impact until several years down the road.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

losing a ten year card will greatly reduce the average.
You don't lose it immediately when you close it. It still contributes to your average age of account as a 10-year card. It's just not increasing anymore and will eventually fall off.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

You don't lose it immediately when you close it. It still contributes to your average age of account as a 10-year card. It's just not increasing anymore and will eventually fall off.

An account closed in good standing will still continue to age and should stay on your credit report for ~10 more years. It does lower your available credit immediately though which will increase your utilization, but this isn't a big deal either if you have other cards.

Closing a card is not a big deal at all.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Well, just experienced a retailer orgasm for the first time when I handed a clerk the CSR. I could get used to this, giving people orgasms loving owns.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

THF13 posted:

An account closed in good standing will still continue to age and should stay on your credit report for ~10 more years. It does lower your available credit immediately though which will increase your utilization, but this isn't a big deal either if you have other cards.

Closing a card is not a big deal at all.

It might, depending on if the scorecard never changes.

But 10 years is not *that* long, at least from the perspective of middle age. I wish I hadn't let the card lapse that I used in college.

It takes almost no effort to keep a card active that doesn't cost you anything.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Pryor on Fire posted:

Well, just experienced a retailer orgasm for the first time when I handed a clerk the CSR. I could get used to this, giving people orgasms loving owns.

My card is very uninspiring as I think they ran out of the nice metal ones. I should complain. For $450 I want to make cashiers wet.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

TraderStav posted:

My card is very uninspiring as I think they ran out of the nice metal ones. I should complain. For $450 I want to make cashiers wet.

:yikes:

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

I thought it was the same as the csp. Is that not true?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Nobody has commented on my fancy metal card.

Also if Chase ran out of metal it's probably not as exclusive as you think.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

monster on a stick posted:

Nobody has commented on my fancy metal card.
I don't recall anyone ever commenting on the Sapphire Preferred even years ago. The Ritz Carlton card, on the other hand...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I get tons of comments about the Lightning McQueen Disney card I have. People love it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

I could get used to this, giving people orgasms loving owns.
First time for everything, I guess.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I frequently get comments from cashiers when I whip out my fancy Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express!

"sir, we only accept visa/mastercard here"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I was approved for the Chase Sapphire preferred on Monday and got it added to my online account and assigned a number, etc.

Now it has disappeared from my Chase online account. I called the customer hotline to check the status of my card approvals and the automated teller just said I had been approved for the Chase Sapphire.

Any idea why it would disappear and is it worth calling and waiting to talk to a live person to ask about it?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

First time for everything, I guess.

drat

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

Well, giving people orgasms loving owns.

I'd rather play a well-crafted RPG, myself

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Celador posted:

I frequently get comments from cashiers when I whip out my fancy Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express!

"sir, we only accept visa/mastercard here"

:laffo:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Does Chase let you downgrade before 1 year ie annual fee? I tried downgrading my CSP to the FU but the CSR was adamant it can't be done until 1 year of card status.They gave me the date to call back on to ask again. Wondering if I should try and escalate to a higher level or if it's not worth it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Untagged posted:

Does Chase let you downgrade before 1 year ie annual fee? I tried downgrading my CSP to the FU but the CSR was adamant it can't be done until 1 year of card status.They gave me the date to call back on to ask again. Wondering if I should try and escalate to a higher level or if it's not worth it.

Why do you want to downgrade? I don't believe Chase prorates the fee so I'm not seeing the advantage in doing so.

Just in case it isn't known, you have a certain amount of time after the annual fee is charged to cancel or downgrade the card and recieve a refund.

asur fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 12, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

asur posted:

Why do you want to downgrade?
I kinda want to do the same. I have no reason to use my CSP anymore not that I have the CSR.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

asur posted:

Why do you want to downgrade? I don't believe Chase prorates the fee so I'm not seeing the advantage in doing so.
I received a prorated AF refund when I downgraded my CSP to the FU. Although I've had the card a few years. Isn't the first year free, anyway?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

asur posted:

Just in case it isn't known, you have a certain amount of time after the annual fee is charged to cancel or downgrade the card and recieve a refund.

I'm in the first year, so no annual fee yet like SWD said. I don't really get as much benefit out if it as I'd thought, and was hoping to downgrade before the annual fee hits. I get better spend returns from my other cards, and making it an all around 1.5% card vs. a 2% card on travel and food with a fee seems like a better idea. I've heard of people going from CSP>>FU but wasn't sure if it was before or after 1 year, which what they told me the other day.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Untagged posted:

I'm in the first year, so no annual fee yet like SWD said. I don't really get as much benefit out if it as I'd thought, and was hoping to downgrade before the annual fee hits. I get better spend returns from my other cards, and making it an all around 1.5% card vs. a 2% card on travel and food with a fee seems like a better idea. I've heard of people going from CSP>>FU but wasn't sure if it was before or after 1 year, which what they told me the other day.

Supposedly some people have been able to get around this by going CSP->Chase Sapphire->Freedom/Freedom Unlimited.

You have at least a month after the fee is charged to cancel/downgrade for a full refund if you end up keeping it that long.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Has anyone applied for/carried two identical cards to get the intro bonus for both?

In July I rec'd an offer for the Amex Blue Cash Everyday card, $250 statement credit after $1000 spent in the first 3 months. Bing bang boom, easiest money I've ever made. In August, while I was using the card, Amex sent me another offer for the same card with the same introductory bonus.

The RSVP codes are unique for both offers, and both are addressed directly to me. (kept the old offer in case I needed to refer back to it) The second offer doesn't expire until mid-October. Any chance they'd let me have a second, identical card and get another intro bonus?

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Amex offers are one per card per lifetime (more like seven years supposedly). So probably no for them. I don't think I would risk using a hard pull unless you are just curious and dont care.

There are other banks that don't give a poo poo though. Supposedly you can still get tons of the boa alaska airlines. Or any of the boa cards, but I think alaska might be the only worthwhile. I got three citi aa cards before they wised up.

Usually you have to wait a year or two to get the signup offer again.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Baddog posted:

Amex offers are one per card per lifetime (more like seven years supposedly). So probably no for them. I don't think I would risk using a hard pull unless you are just curious and dont care.

There are other banks that don't give a poo poo though. Supposedly you can still get tons of the boa alaska airlines. Or any of the boa cards, but I think alaska might be the only worthwhile. I got three citi aa cards before they wised up.

For that Citi AA it's 18 months, but they count the timer from when you opened OR closed the card. I was a little slow to close my Plat AA so I just did the Gold on my last round on the advice of this thread.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I thought Amex was generally once per lifetime, unless you get a targeted mailer without the lifetime language. YMMV of course.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Pompous Rhombus posted:

For that Citi AA it's 18 months, but they count the timer from when you opened OR closed the card. I was a little slow to close my Plat AA so I just did the Gold on my last round on the advice of this thread.

The Citi 18 month rule is old. The new rule is 24 months from open or close, and it applies to all "bonus families", e.g. you can't get any AA bonus within 24 months of opening or closing the Gold, Plat, or Exec.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/new-citi-rules-limit-one-bonus-per-24-months-per-brand-american-airlines-expedia-hilton-citi-typ/

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Untagged posted:

I think the only real reason to keep the CSP after the first year is to be able to transfer points to other programs. If that doesn't interest you, I'd downgrade to the FU.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Baddog posted:

I'm not really worried about a pull affecting my credit score, I think I'll do the application over the phone and talk with a rep to make sure it doesn't end up with a big DECLINED on my report.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

The Citi 18 month rule is old. The new rule is 24 months from open or close, and it applies to all "bonus families", e.g. you can't get any AA bonus within 24 months of opening or closing the Gold, Plat, or Exec.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/new-citi-rules-limit-one-bonus-per-24-months-per-brand-american-airlines-expedia-hilton-citi-typ/

Oh damnit, I must have just scooted in under the cutoff for that. So much for churning the Plat again :colbert:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

TraderStav posted:

Well guess what card I'm NOT applying for now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking to replace my Wells Fargo Rewards Visa (1% back) with something a bit more sexy. I already have an AMEX Blue Cash Preferred and am not interested in another annual fee card at this time. Looking for a Visa or MasterCard (something to use when AMEX isn't accepted). Something with no foreign transaction fee would be a nice bonus, but not necessary.

I'm thinking of getting the Citi Costco Anywhere Visa mainly for the 3% on restaurants/bars/cafes and travel (the extra 1% on gas over the AMEX is a bonus, but it does suck that the rewards are only paid out once a year). And for everything else, either the 2% Fidelity Rewards Visa (over the Citi Double Cash due to 1% foreign transaction fee compared to 3%) or the 1.5% CapitalOne Quicksilver (over the Chase Freedom Unlimited due to 0% foreign transaction fee compared to 3%). The signup bonus ($100), no foreign transaction fee and automatic reward redemption of the Quicksilver make it tempting, but I'm thinking going with the 2% card is the better long term decision. Looking at my spending, the extra 0.5% in rewards would surpass the $100 signup bonus in around 2 years or less. Having to open another Fidelity account if I want the rewards in a non-retirement account is kind of annoying, but I could use a no ATM fee checking account.

Is that a good plan? Any other cards I should consider?