Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Takagatari/status/772630150773039105

I missed you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, they got full transformations instead of just the logos. We haven't seen that since the very beginning of Gokaiger!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I forgot how cool the Go-Busters transformation animation was.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But it's just not Go-Busters without throwing sunglasses away.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Can we get another season of Go-Busters?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

the two parts of gobusters already felt like separate seasons to me

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Some Numbers posted:

It's not time for buster.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Wow drat that "Ganmeisers are sentient and will betray Adel" thing really was just deus ex machina'd away. Such a shame, I was really hoping something would come of that. I wish Ghost was a lot better than it was.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Elfgames posted:

the two parts of gobusters already felt like separate seasons to me

Enter was a way better villain than Messiah.

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's not time for buster.

I'm totally down for this.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wow drat that "Ganmeisers are sentient and will betray Adel" thing really was just deus ex machina'd away. Such a shame, I was really hoping something would come of that. I wish Ghost was a lot better than it was.

So has Ghost kind of solidified into Opposite Day OOO with a shaky-to-bad start, a fairly excellent middle and a totally awful ending, then? I'm not sure offhand what other shows have managed to pull that off.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
The beginning of ghost felt like them scrambling to introduce all the toys so they could get to the interesting plot.

...and then they ran out of interesting plot like 4 episodes after Igor showed up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I've dropped ghost at this point. I'll wait for Ex-Aid to get my hopes up so as to prepare them to be dashed again.

As for episode 1999 of Super Sentai, it looks like Navi got a paint job and Marvelous isn't quite back into character. He seemed a lot more dead in his lines. Also lol at getting doubles for the ToQger kids. I really wish they'd do a 10 person Gokai change for Zyuohger. I hope we'll at least get the 6ths.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Xelkelvos posted:

I've dropped ghost at this point. I'll wait for Ex-Aid to get my hopes up so as to prepare them to be dashed again.

As for episode 1999 of Super Sentai, it looks like Navi got a paint job and Marvelous isn't quite back into character. He seemed a lot more dead in his lines. Also lol at getting doubles for the ToQger kids. I really wish they'd do a 10 person Gokai change for Zyuohger. I hope we'll at least get the 6ths.

I was wondering if Navi looked different or if it was just me misremembering. As for Marvelous, it seems like either the writing or the direction had him revert back to early-Gokaiger personality, when he was still rather aloof; before he loosened up a lot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still though, that was a pretty good episode. Marvelous hasn't aged a day (though I'm still not crazy about Gai's new hair style), ZyuOh Whale looks good (even his Zyuman and Cube Animal look a lot better than I was expecting) and it was nice to see full transformations for the Gokai Changes rather than just logos. Though I'm not really a fan of the new Super Sentai Hero Getter song though, it just seems to lack the energy of the previous ones.

Looking forward to the proper teamup next time however, though I do wish they'd brought back Gokai-Oh and GouZyuJin rather than having the Gokaigers just stand in the cockpit of the Zyuohger's mech as was shown by a recent scan. But still, it's nice to see them back regardless.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Ghost is just kind of epic failing right now. Although the "Jack, I was the one who killed your parents. bit was both hilariously out of nowhere and contradicts the Ghost/Drive crossover movie completely. Which was also pretty terrible, honestly. (And then they had the random bit in the show of the Sage saying he could resurrect ghosts, but not Take anymore. Probably just to cut off the questions from the random resurrection he did in that movie. Man, the Sage is just the worst character.)

As someone who doesn't watch Zyuohger regularly, the weirdest part of that episode (other than ZyuohTheWorld's first line being raw elemental essence of stock reindeer dialogue) was during the giant exposition dump scene Marvelous just standing to the side, with either him or his actor or both just looking completely annoyed and bored.

Also watched the Kamen Rider ZX special for the first time last night. Interesting to see there's a legacy of that kind of bad crossover back to the early days. Also, I love that ZX gets a supporting cast in the opening exposition dump who never shows up until like the last three minutes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ghost isn't as bad as wizard, but it has sure been striving to be lately.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And the Toku Thread will look up and shout "Ghost, please be good," and I'll whisper back, "No."

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I've said it before here but I wish Ghost had an episode count in the thirties, like another Decade. They could have wrapped this poo poo up right after the main cast went to the Ganma world and Adel killed his father. The ganmeisers are boring and, like all of the hero suits, are visually overdesigned messes. The Deep Connect plot is okay I guess, but man have they dragged it out and telegraphed the ending months in advance.

Actually, I'm kind of wishing Zyuohger went in a different direction too. I think the show would have been more interesting if they reopened the link to the Zyuworld after a couple episodes and then divided their time between the two.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

And the Toku Thread will look up and shout "Ghost, please be good," and I'll whisper back, "No."

"Go watch Ultraman Orb instead."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ex-Aid please be radical.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if ex-aid turns out to be bad it probably won't be boring

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yes, it's probably either going to be a hilarious thrill ride or a magnificent trainwreck.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Also, I meant Kyoryuger in my post for a 10-man change, not Zyuohger. That makes more sense than whatever my brain farted.

I do agree that the ending song lacked the energy from the original, but that may be because they couldn't get the original performers/composers.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Cliff Racer posted:

Actually, I'm kind of wishing Zyuohger went in a different direction too. I think the show would have been more interesting if they reopened the link to the Zyuworld after a couple episodes and then divided their time between the two.

This was probably the original idea judging from some of the footage. I imagine they changed the plans after Ninninger preformed so awfully. The animal suits they're using for the Zyuoghers can't be cheap, getting more could be too much of a cost.

gourdcaptain posted:

As someone who doesn't watch Zyuohger regularly, the weirdest part of that episode (other than ZyuohTheWorld's first line being raw elemental essence of stock reindeer dialogue) was during the giant exposition dump scene Marvelous just standing to the side, with either him or his actor or both just looking completely annoyed and bored.

Marvelous looking annoyed and bored with plot dumps is totally in his character though.

And my ghost comments from upthread still apply as my opinion on Ghost. I dunno who would say the actual designs on the suits are bad; I found the hoodie ghost concept to be super cool, myself.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

This was probably the original idea judging from some of the footage. I imagine they changed the plans after Ninninger preformed so awfully. The animal suits they're using for the Zyuoghers can't be cheap, getting more could be too much of a cost.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Why does Ghost keep introducing Riders to have them do absolutely nothing? First Alia as Dark Necrom P, now Sage as Dark Ghost. What the hell was the point of that? If they absolutely needed to transform him, why not just use the Ebony Ultimate suit that was 1) only his and 2) did absolutely nothing?

I seriously don't get this show. Beyond bad writing, it constantly misuses what it does have, and it keeps showing this weird lack of budget or interest in making different things. The last boss has already been confirmed as a recolour of the movie's Kamen Rider Extremer, as the non-Rider Great Eyeser.

At least Zyuohger is still good and we got another good Sentai back. I have to seriously wonder what Junya Ikeda was smoking when he thought that hair looked good though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't think more Zyuland is what Zyuohger needed. I think it's perfectly okay and has a good cast and great villains but it doesn't really feel like it has anything really compelling or beyond expectations, beyond Bunglay being such a bastard to Yamato, specifically.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

Marvelous looking annoyed and bored with plot dumps is totally in his character though..

It is. I'm just wondering why you'd get a crossover cast for an episode and then have for half of it them standing around and not doing anything during an exposition dump.

I did laugh uncontrollably at the bit of Gai begging the child ToQGers for access to their ranger keys. Even if his actors current hair made me confuse him for Doc for a second.

Edit: The Ghost final boss is a recolor? Man, again after the Gold Drive awful suit (that color scheme, yeah, there was Sigma but it didn't amount to much). I still find it hilarious there are three different evil Drive copies in Drive and associated material. Were they that short on money or they couldn't think of anything else? And now Ghost has one evil Ghost (and a different guy using the same suit), a different Specter and an evil-ish clone, and four evil-ish Necroms. Enough copy spam, jeez.

I mean, the final episode of Gaim was against a recolor, but in-universe it was just a lousier version of the same guy from the movie and mostly existed to give the remaining people someone to fight for the purposes of character stuff. (I do love that nobody but Kouta had any idea who he was.)

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 5, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

gourdcaptain posted:

It is. I'm just wondering why you'd get a crossover cast for an episode and then have for half of it them standing around and not doing anything during an exposition dump.

Because the bulk of the crossover stuff is next week. This week was the appetizer

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Looking at Bunglay, he looks 100% more at home fighting space pirates than fighting animals.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Can I watch the crossover for Gokaiger without having watched Zyuohger?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Some Numbers posted:

I think so. The plot reveal in it seems fairly out of nowhere and even the characters comment on it, most things are self explanatory, you're here to see the gokaigers anyway.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The only Zyuohger specific thinng you really need to know is pretty well explained in the episode. the big broken cube they visit is the link between Earth and Zyuland; it got blown up in the first episode. everything else is pretty standard Sentai fare.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Some Numbers posted:

Its a sentai stock plot, I don't see how you'd really get confused.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I haven't watched Zyuohger and don't have any intentions to. Is it deliberately going for that "unlicensed Minecraft game" look or what? I guess I could just go watch an episode or three but I can't even be bothered to watch the old stuff I told myself I was going to watch right now.

The suits look okay, but then I see the mecha and I feel like they should have named that show Minecranger.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
given that the first thing everyone says when they see the cubes with pixelated details that stack to combine is "is this minecraft", yes.
I don't see how it has much bearing on your opinion of the show either way - the cubes are just toy gimmicks.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i still feel like it was going for more rubix cube than minecraft

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I get a rubix cube vibe from it once you see it, since they morph by moving them around.

If it's ripping off anything I'd say the closest comparison is the loving Pa'Ku box from Jackie Chan Adventures.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Serious Frolicking posted:

ghost isn't as bad as wizard, but it has sure been striving to be lately.

At least Wizard didn't devote like ten episodes to fights with boring robot villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it only devoted 50 episodes to fighting boring demon villains.

• Locked thread