Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

DmitriX posted:

Yes.
Sadly, that can only be solved by whitelisting of some kind, as permission levels are not a thing yet.

Well, to be fair, if the public server is set to verify identity (as in require a valid factorio account with linked game license) then any admin can ban the vandal and unless he has several accounts, he won't be able to come back. Of course identifying the perp in question is the hard part...

The public browser ones all do that I think as part of the listing process and since it's linked to your steam account it's less of a throwaway. Unless you make steam accounts, buy software for them and burn them. That seems a rather expensive way to get your jollies though.

SinineSiil posted:

That actually sounds really fun and interesting to do!

Give it a whirl. Meet new people, see interesting setups, see horrible setups... The 520MW megafactory with everything on the logistic net was impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I'm not even sure how permission levels would solve it. I guess raising the effort required to start doing it by at least making them ask to be able to build at all would help. I can think of a million ways to screw up a factory that don't actually involve removing things that are already built.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Imagine the strategic use of being unable to interact with other people's setups. Im thinking of people laying out perimeters of belts such that no other player can belt things into your area. Three yellow belts spaced by one, just enough that you can't even run an underground belt into it. Lockout airlock area of walls and gates to allow trains into your fortress. It would almost be competitive.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Toadsmash posted:

I'm not even sure how permission levels would solve it. I guess raising the effort required to start doing it by at least making them ask to be able to build at all would help. I can think of a million ways to screw up a factory that don't actually involve removing things that are already built.

Wube have already answered a question about it earlier this year by someone running a server. They said for the time being post on the official forums with logs and the players can build up a blacklist of unwanted players. They will consider the feasibility of building an official blacklist for all public games.

To be honest, the problem isn't that huge. Someone goes nuts, you go to a backup or autosave and ban them. Some people get really riled up though, which of course feeds into the people doing the trashing and blow it out of proportion.

M_Gargantua posted:

Imagine the strategic use of being unable to interact with other people's setups. Im thinking of people laying out perimeters of belts such that no other player can belt things into your area. Three yellow belts spaced by one, just enough that you can't even run an underground belt into it. Lockout airlock area of walls and gates to allow trains into your fortress. It would almost be competitive.

There are already Pvp servers and more scenarios will be coming real soon I imagine given the framework that 0.13 established. It isn't that there is no outlet, it's just lazy or bored people getting what? I have no idea what they get from it, some sort of gratification obviously. I like to build things, I suppose some like to set them on fire but then why buy a game about building things?

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Ratzap posted:

I like to build things, I suppose some like to set them on fire but then why buy a game about building things?

Because it's more fun to set things on fire that other, real people have built?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loren1350 posted:

Because it's more fun to set things on fire that other, real people have built?

Well yes but that just sociopaths doing what they do. Maybe someone could set up a server that constantly reloads backups of big factories for them. It just seems rather pointless seeing how easy it is to put back the way it was.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I see the goon grief method has been lost

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tusen Takk posted:

What do you mean? Griefing because a server is full of shitlords is completely different from randomly dumping on strangers because "hur hur, look at it burn". If you think SA is about the latter, you might want to move on to 9gag or such.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ratzap posted:

What do you mean? Griefing because a server is full of shitlords is completely different from randomly dumping on strangers because "hur hur, look at it burn". If you think SA is about the latter, you might want to move on to 9gag or such.

Eh, I remember doing the kicking people sand castles in a bunch of different games when I first joined but times obviously are a'changin'

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

Eh, I remember doing the kicking people sand castles in a bunch of different games when I first joined but times obviously are a'changin'

It's also the specific culture of things. I imagine the TTD thread would freak out about someone MP griefing a switch yard.

Factorio griefing is just beginning to find its home, maybe the best way to grief is to just improve factories? Or subltly wire in a massive electricity draw?

Also running far away then using the fill command to make islands then placing a source of pollution on it might be fun.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ratzap posted:

If you think SA is about the latter, you might want to move on to 9gag or such.

I mean, one of the oldest and most well-known SA game entities is loving GoonFleet, so while I like your attitude it's definitely not universal here.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
remove a single chain signal from a busy intersection and wait

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Renegret posted:

remove a single chain signal from a busy intersection and wait

Switch their trains from left to right drive or visa versa.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

I mean, one of the oldest and most well-known SA game entities is loving GoonFleet, so while I like your attitude it's definitely not universal here.

That's not fair, EVE is a different beast altogether.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
The secret of not being griefed is not to have that which can be griefed. That's why I don't play online and only play MP games with people I know in real life. The knowledge that the guy who's factory you're trashing can and will punch you upside the fuckin' head IRL means he never has to actually do it.

(Literally every game forum I go to, there's cries of outrage when I point out I heard of the game on SomethingAwful. OH HE MUST BE HERE ONLY TO TROLL BAN HIM GUYS!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Psawhn posted:

For having two unloading stations in series, why not just put only one actual train station post at the far station, and have just a signal instead at the close station? If the far station is available, the train will use it as usual. If the far station is occupied, the train will pull up to the near station and get unloaded even though it's really just waiting to get to the far station.

Because then I can't set conditions. And the minute the station is free, the train will pull into it even if the cargo-hold is empty or not. I'm just going to widen it horizontally to allow me to put in tracks that come in from the side so trains can bypass each other.

Also, on the topic of griefing in Factorio, it's so infuriating. People can do something as small as reversing a belt's direction, or inserter. There are tonnes of things to do that would be so difficult to diagnose in a massive factory.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 5, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Tusen Takk posted:

Well yeah most of us aren't 15 any more.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's crazy the number of goons that joined in high school and are now adults.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
We're all olds.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

LonsomeSon posted:

I know and I knew someone would bring up Eve ;) As Chakan said though, it's an entirely different kettle of fish and to be honest it's a pvp game. The whole thing is about loving other people over and the only 'griefing' was idiots trying to hide their fancy expensive ships in high sec. Or ice miners and well gently caress it, killing them is doing them a favour.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Trabisnikof posted:

Switch their trains from left to right drive or visa versa.
Turns out I grief myself. I don't think that's surprising to anyone who reads my replies.

Loopoo posted:

Because then I can't set conditions. And the minute the station is free, the train will pull into it even if the cargo-hold is empty or not. I'm just going to widen it horizontally to allow me to put in tracks that come in from the side so trains can bypass each other.

Also, on the topic of griefing in Factorio, it's so infuriating. People can do something as small as reversing a belt's direction, or inserter. There are tonnes of things to do that would be so difficult to diagnose in a massive factory.
It won't be perfect throughput compared to parallel but using "stop until empty" conditions with a "fake" stop fits the bill of increasing serial capacity. It'll unload during what would be downtime, and yeah, it pulls into the station after at which point conditions apply. If it got emptied in the fake stop it'll roll out asap, or unload as normal.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Loopoo posted:

If it was me I'd want the second train to pull up when the first station is free in case there's a third train coming in.

Making the stations parallel rather than in series, like you're doing with the bypasses, is a more robust solution anyway.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Is there an update to the Jesus Christ it's a train get off the track! mod for 0.13?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chakan posted:

That's not fair, EVE is a different beast altogether.

This is true, eve is heavily balanced around being able to lose all your poo poo all the time. And, probably more importantly, also made so if you play smart, you won't ever get killed. All kills in eve happen because someone, somewhere, made a mistake (or, and this is possibly more popular, was just very ignorant of the options the game provides him, when considering griefing :v:).

Griefing in eve online is like "griefing" the other team in battlefield or whatever - by just playing the game well within the ruleset making less mistakes than the enemy. The only difference is, eve doesn't have only 2 different teams to join.

What I'm saying is, factorio would probably suck in a free for all pvp kind of way. The mechanics just aren't there.

However, maybe some kind of mod can provide good pvp content. I'm thinking several tiers of military drone vehicle and robot research you can set waypoints for on the map, and now you can play total annihilation, except the focus is even less on tactics (since no direct unit control) and more on resources and strategy. The one who churns out enough bots to overwhelm the other guy's defences ammo production eventually wins. Basically the same game as playing vs. biters, but with more bots and pollution.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Truga posted:

What I'm saying is, factorio would probably suck in a free for all pvp kind of way. The mechanics just aren't there.
Yeah I've been trying to get someone to help me make a rather simple competitive mod that could actually be balanced easily for new and old players but it seems like all the modders don't like the idea of having a game designer outline everything for them to do. ;)

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Truga posted:

However, maybe some kind of mod can provide good pvp content. I'm thinking several tiers of military drone vehicle and robot research you can set waypoints for on the map, and now you can play total annihilation, except the focus is even less on tactics (since no direct unit control) and more on resources and strategy. The one who churns out enough bots to overwhelm the other guy's defences ammo production eventually wins. Basically the same game as playing vs. biters, but with more bots and pollution.

This would be rad as hell, and just reminded me of that old turn-based strategy game M.A.X. That was one of the only games I can remember to ever feature actual combat logistics. Just ammo delivery mostly (maybe field repairs too?) but it adds a whole new dimension to your strategy when you have to worry about your tanks and planes running out of ammo.

Maybe missiles wouldn't be utterly useless if they could be fired from drones.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

DaveKap posted:

Is there an update to the Jesus Christ it's a train get off the track! mod for 0.13?

No, I never bothered. The mod was poorly optimised, and kind of a pain to optimise (Lua-induced movement needs to be applied to the player every tick, which complicates reducing the search frequency).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Psawhn posted:

If it was me I'd want the second train to pull up when the first station is free in case there's a third train coming in.

Making the stations parallel rather than in series, like you're doing with the bypasses, is a more robust solution anyway.

Nah, there's only two stations to each track. So if there is a 3rd train trying to get in (which there wouldn't be), there's a major lay-by just outside the entrance where trains can sit and wait. I'll eventually tear this down and build it all in parallel. I'll rename the Iron Depot / Copper Depot stations with numbers on the end (eg Depot1 Depot2) and then tell trains to unload until empty or leave if 5 seconds of inactivity (in case the loading chests are full).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Truga posted:

However, maybe some kind of mod can provide good pvp content.

FARL jousting

Someone get on it please

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Renegret posted:

FARL jousting

Someone get on it please

Every time you hit your opponent you get a wagon of goodies strapped to your train, hitting a wagon steals it instead of creating a new one. It's like a game of snake except the snake is loot piñata trains.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Truga posted:

These or something calling itself PvP mods already exist. There are pvp branded servers in the public game browser, I haven't tried any of them because I'm not interested but if any of you are, go try them and give us a report. RSO supports multiple starting areas. pvp team setup mods exit, robot army exists - all the parts are there now, it just needs someone who gives a toss about pvp to put it all into a package.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I am working on something.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

GotLag posted:

I am working on something.

Nice crisp images. Getting nuclear stuff right seems to be a problem. It needs to be complex enough or something to make people feel they "paid" for an end game type energy solution. But not so much so that folk look at the recipes and go "gently caress that, massive fields of solar it is". Nucular looked ok but then you find out the fuel rods eat up iron more than uranium and the reactors give a measly 10MW of power.

0.14.4 has been released.

quote:

FactorioBot » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:24 pm

Minor features
Included the ghost/god controller movement in the latency hiding.
Changes
Research notifications are only printed to players of the same force.
Removed the /team command, chat is team only by default, added /shout (/s) command to speak to everyone.
Tweaked the /help command, so it prints just the list of commands, and it is required to write /help <command> to get details
Don't allow to deconstruct tiles that have nothing under it.

Scripting
Added read/write of LuaPlayer::tag. This tag is added to the player username in chat and on map.
Added LuaEntityPrototype::logistic_mode read.
Added a 4th (optional) parameter to LuaGameScript::write_file to write only for a specific player (or the server).
Bugfixes
Fixed crash when entities are migrated across types while in blueprints. (31984)
Fixed crash when setting filters in the map editor. (32082)
Additional desync fix related to selection of trains. (32102)
Fixed crash when canceling deconstruction of tiles of other force.
Fixed crash related to reconnecting to a game after 3 desyncs
Fixed crash when using quickbar shortcuts in ghost mode in multiplayer. (32144)
Fixed crash when changing player's controller in multiplayer while the player opens entity GUI with inventory. (32139)
Fixed crash when opening entities that only exist in the latency hiding. (32141)
Additional latency state fixes related to lag spikes and latency changes.
Fix of one way (hopefully the only one), the ghost player could appear.
Fixed freeze with specific modded recipes. (32048)
Fixed LuaForce::research_progress could return invalid values in specific cases. (32047)
Fixed error when manually calling LuaGameScript::raise_event(). (32039)
Added additional inventory defines: car_fuel, car_trunk, car_ammo, and cargo_wagon. (32100)
Fixed that the server commands didn't work when there was noone online and the autostop was on (again) (32112)
Fixed that LuaUnitGroup::set_command wouldn't update the command of its members.
Fixed that mod GUIs would get left behind if the mod was disabled due to an invalid factorio_version. (32196)
Fxied that the Lua console would ignore first pressed key if the "toggle console" control was bound to a mouse button. (32093)
Fixed wrong fonts used for languages using non-latin characters. (32061)
Fixed crash on blueprint placement with rail signals with connected wires. (32002)

The new MP is pretty solid but I'm happy to see them getting the desyncs out. Also interesting that the challenge they are running seems to be producing much better scenario/team support as they see first hand what works and what is missing.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I am mostly looking forward to them implementing rail tankers in a way that both enables the Full/Empty flags and doesn't let inserters pluck oil out of the tank

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Current plan:

Reactors consume nuclear fuel (processed uranium, something along the lines of nucular's mine, process, enrich supply chain). From this fuel they generate heat, held in an internal buffer. Water flowing through is heated, reducing reactor heat.
If the internal heat buffer reaches a certain threshold the reactor will scram, throttling down to zero and refusing to go active again until the reactor has cooled to ambient temperature (by pumping water through it, air cooling will be slow as gently caress, and I will look into making the reactor non-minable until it has cooled).
Reactors automatically throttle to attempt to equal demand, but with a minimum activity level (25% of max? subject to testing). They are also slow to change output level.
Below minimum throttle (i.e. while ramping up from cold start) reactors will be less efficient, consuming fuel faster and/or producing heat slower (subject to testing).
Cooling towers provide a hot water sink if steam engine demand is insufficient (either engine demand is less than minimum throttle or demand has suddenly dropped).

The only control over the reactors that I am planning is the ability to tell them to shut down via circuit signal. Throttle control is going to be automatic with a minimum power output as per the above description. They will output their internal state to the circuit network (core temperature, control rod position aka throttle, water temperature, water level).

The goal is twofold: make nuclear reactors work similarly to the existing boilers (pump water through a heating system), but also to not just be machines that craft uranium into hot water/steam.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cooling towers should remove hot water from the pipe similar to the incinerator mod you have. I'm using a slightly modified version of that (that lets me use water with the venting tower) to control some hot water capacitors currently.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, that sounds perfect.

I was thinking about how to make it work without it being magic ore -> power and couldn't figure it out because I keep thinking in dumb terms of minecraft where water doesn't have a temperature, since I'm dumb. Just reuse the steam engines. :doh:

Also, IMHO there shouldn't be a minimum activity, but instead make cooling down the last ~10% take very long, and if you try to restart it before it cools down to 0, it takes a bit longer than usual to reach 10% again. Nothing big, just enough to be noticeable. :v: And keep the efficiency thing as is, unless testing says it's not good.

Question is, will you have to shut it down to change rods, or is it a soviet reactor?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pipe all the hot water directly into steam generarors

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Steam engines are already a hot water sink regardless of electrical demand, are you planning on fiddling with their guts to make them not be? Or are cooling towers just cheaper fluid annihilators? Either way the ramping just seems like a solved ratio game, you have N water pumps per reactor to make it run 100%, and you set up switches so you use nuclear first since it is the slowest responding.

My dream nuclear set up is that it is only a different colored coal, but it creates waste. But you can recycle the waste such that in a steady state set up it only sips new uranium. So it has a logistic dependency like coal, but is a near steady state solution like solar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Steam engines do not eat more water than they need unless said water isn't heated up enough.