Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Grouchio posted:

(Spoilers...?)

You guys worry too much about the hypothetical sometimes. Time loop's a time loop. A load back to a last save. We're not dealing with Flowey now are we?

Yeah I'm pretty sure we're in a new loop, my anxiety is where he ends up and how much more suffering he has to go through. But thinking on it, if this is the "real game" and no longer the tutorial, his loops now are probably more like Dark Souls getting underway and less self imposed suffering through idiocy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
lol what if has to fight that fuckin' whale again.

Frankly i'm relieved Subaru is looping again because it means he might be able to avoid some needless deaths oh his side.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Frankly i'm relieved Subaru is looping again because it means he might be able to avoid some needless deaths oh his side.

Seriously, there were a lot of villagers caught up in the crossfire. If he can prevent some of those I'm sure he'd be fine with it. And that village was a lot bigger than I thought, I was surprised how big a crowd was there for him having to convince them to leave.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

The Sandman posted:

It's not kinda good, it is good. It even rescues Anakin from what Hayden Christensen's performance and George Lucas' writing did to the character.

Ah, well gotta pick that up then, nowhere to go but up with that though, I must admit.

Man, if they had really nailed the prequels, or at least given us a better acted and written Anakin in episodes 2 and 3, that really would've been great.

I like the cliffhanger for this episode because it finally gives us something to really fear in a story where he has all the time in the world to figure out how to get past a problem: what if the mind possession carries over? I can't imagine it does, but at least there's that glimmer of fear or doubt there, that he could suffer and be screwed instead of suffer but ultimately save the day through resets.

I still wish we'd gotten resets during the Whale fight though, Hakugei was too cool to job out in one fight.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

I think its going to be betelgeuse looping for several times now. My brain trembles with that possibility :magical:
Show could go on with subaru trying to figure out way to wrestle back the control over his body. For several loops we shall watch as subaru gets crushed by several people.
and we will get to watch as subaru murders emilia several times. Maximium amount of despair for subaru

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dzhay posted:

Discussing the ending is getting in the way of discussing the implication that Felix regenerated at least all the skin on his front side, maybe more than that, in the few minutes Subaru was out. Catboy is hardcore.

*ahem*

Catgirl :colbert:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Catgirl :colbert: (male)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Maybe I am a bad person, but I like more the episodes where everyone is murdered than the episodes where Subaru do everything right.

I like that despite getting to know more about this universe, what we don't know is still much bigger than what we know. Whats really going here?
People still can summon fireballs like in other fantasy universes, but you feel things are not exactly like in most magic universes. Magic has some limitations. Spirits behave in a particular way, restricted, people that deal with spirits have a particular ... ethic? personality.
Is implied that this is a post-magic-apocalypse world, that they are only now getting out of a lot of poo poo.

Subaru have a good gimmick, but is still a trick that can't be abused, because she is (in the story) a real person.

I am envy of future viewers of this serie, binge watching it. Having to wait one week for 24 minutes is the worst.

Even the enemies are cool. I am going to miss Betelgeuse trademarked horribleness. He is so funny, in a horrible way.

Dzhay posted:

Discussing the ending is getting in the way of discussing the implication that Felix regenerated at least all the skin on his front side, maybe more than that, in the few minutes Subaru was out. Catboy is hardcore.

Yea, is implied that he can sort of rebuild himself from a broken torso or something horrible like that. Like some sort of Terminator. Is the worst gimmick for somebody that wanted to protect a secret. He can be tortured in some real hardcore way, then the torturers only have to wait a few minutes to try again.

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 5, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I wonder if Subaru can shamac himself to prevent Betelgeuse from soul-hopping. hosed up gate + over-exhaustion would make him a useless body perhaps?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

My guess is that his new save point is right after the possession starts. :devil:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Mindblast posted:

My guess is that his new save point is right after the possession starts. :devil:

Nah, because we didn't hear enough of his internal dialogue/struggle for that to be compelling.

My guess is Immediately after the whale died, before they go to take out the cult. It will be interesting for Subaru to explain why he doesn't want to kill the witch cult immediately, and instead proceed directly to the estate/

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kytrarewn posted:

Nah, because we didn't hear enough of his internal dialogue/struggle for that to be compelling.

My guess is Immediately after the whale died, before they go to take out the cult. It will be interesting for Subaru to explain why he doesn't want to kill the witch cult immediately, and instead proceed directly to the estate/

Or see how he goes about convincing Felix to take a good hard look at those merchants coming in with them.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Explosions posted:

You guys are awfully optimistic that this is the end of Subaru's bad day, given that the camera pointedly cuts away before the sword hits him. It seems way more likely that Emilia saves him and we get a deeply unpleasant episode of brain trembling and finger chewing.

No he should be dead, because the author said this while livewatching the episode:

https://twitter.com/nezumiironyanko/status/772472431222980609

Basically, Felis' magic already doomed him, Julius was just ending the suffering

Tamba fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 6, 2016

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah what did Felis hit him with anyway, a reverse heal or something?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOJv79pY88k

Mindblast posted:

Same tweet. It causes the water in the body do run out of control, which eventually leads to death.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 6, 2016

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I would've read it if I could. :saddowns:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Mindblast posted:

Remember how Felix is powerful enough to heal people's damaged mana gate? Just like how he can heal them, he can do the opposite and completely mess up their gate. Subaru describes the effects of that spell as if all the water in his body is boiling up. His whole body gets completely paralyzed and even Betelgeuse couldn't use his unseen hands anymore.

This scene played out very differently from the original version...
In the web Subaru, Wilhelm, Julius, Ricardo, Felix and Emilia with Puck fight the finger together with Subaru and Wilhelm getting separated from the rest by an ice wall Emilia created to protect Subaru from Sloth's unseen hands. As soon as Wilhelm destroyed the ice wall, Betelgeuse possesses Subaru and gets immediately attacked by Wilhelm who Subaru told beforehand to kill him if he gets possessed. However due to his hesitation to kill Subaru the rest of the party catches up to them. Sloth attacks everyone with the unseen hands but Julius's spirit arts saves everyone. Subaru asks Julius to finish him off but he refuses. Seeing no one was able to do it, Felix steps forward to put the spell on Subaru which dooms him to die a long painful death. Both Wilhelm and Julius rebuke Felix and Emilia cries on top of Subaru's rapidly disfiguring body. Finally Julius blames himself for Felix's action and kills Subaru.

I left out a major detail but since that plot is completely omitted by the anime I'm not going to bother. As you can see, the anime soften the poo poo out of Felix's character. He neither cried, lamented doing the deed, or was asked by Subaru to doom him.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

This scene played out very differently from the original version...
I left out a major detail but since that plot is completely omitted by the anime I'm not going to bother. As you can see, the anime soften the poo poo out of Felix's character. He neither cried, lamented doing the deed, or was asked by Subaru to doom him.

The author tweeted this afterwards:

https://twitter.com/nezumiironyanko/status/772475242497257472

You could argue they've just added a layer of depth to the character with that scene, I guess. Haven't read the gaiden thing, though.

In other important news, there's now a Re:Zero wake-up alarm app: http://re-zero-app.jp/

Edit: Apparently the website choked. App store links:
Emilia version - http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/id1148896537 and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.gamegate.rezero.emilia
Rem version - http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/id1148903266 and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.gamegate.rezero.lemm

darkgray fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 6, 2016

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

darkgray posted:

The author tweeted this afterwards:

https://twitter.com/nezumiironyanko/status/772475242497257472

You could argue they've just added a layer of depth to the character with that scene, I guess. Haven't read the gaiden thing, though.

In other important news, there's now a Re:Zero wake-up alarm app: http://re-zero-app.jp/

Edit: Apparently the website choked. App store links:
Emilia version - http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/id1148896537 and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.gamegate.rezero.emilia
Rem version - http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/id1148903266 and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.gamegate.rezero.lemm

$7 for a wakeup app holey moley.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Liver Disaster posted:

$7 for a wakeup app holey moley.

waifus are expensive

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

C-SPAN Caller posted:

waifus are expensive

That's cheap for a waifu of Rem's quality

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I rather have a Puck version.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Rem's alarm is currently the top-selling app on iTunes Japan and second-most downloaded.

Would Anastasia approve?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Hogama posted:

Rem's alarm is currently the top-selling app on iTunes Japan and second-most downloaded.

Would Anastasia approve?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe4LTEVQrDg

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Hogama posted:

Would Anastasia approve?

Was Pokemon go #1 I need to know what beat best girl of the year

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Was Pokemon go #1 I need to know what beat best girl of the year

Pachi Girls und Panzer.

Emilia's alarm is the #2 selling and #7 downloaded, for comparison.
For paid apps, I should mention.

I don't know what to believe!

Hogama fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 7, 2016

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

c'mon cr get with the subs

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Liver Disaster posted:

c'mon cr get with the subs

They're released on a regular schedule on Friday mornings.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 7, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
This will be the first anime I push on my friends fingers. I will spread the gospel.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Where is the Satella alarm?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jackard posted:

Do you really want an alarm clock that gives you a heart attack when it's time to get up in the morning?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Can you think of a better way to actually wake a heavy sleeper?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Sometimes it just strokes the heart.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jackard posted:

Emilia's alarm is linked earlier in the thread

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Do you really want an alarm clock that gives you a heart attack when it's time to get up in the morning?

Sometimes it'll even kill another person in the room for you!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sadly I don't really have real life friends, I mean I do, but they're all so far from me (the next province over) or are such a pain to meet up with that I don't have anyone to watch with. :(

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sadly I don't really have real life friends, I mean I do, but they're all so far from me (the next province over) or are such a pain to meet up with that I don't have anyone to watch with. :(

Hardly the same as watching with everyone in the same room obviously, but I keep up with uni friends by watching things with them over voice chat and stuff, if that's an option. It's how I've been following Re:Zero, actually.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

smenj posted:

Hardly the same as watching with everyone in the same room obviously, but I keep up with uni friends by watching things with them over voice chat and stuff, if that's an option. It's how I've been following Re:Zero, actually.

How do you guys do that? I actually set up a web page with a chatbox and player, then tell the box to convert whatever .mkv into an RTMP stream in real time.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

How do you guys do that? I actually set up a web page with a chatbox and player, then tell the box to convert whatever .mkv into an RTMP stream in real time.

Honestly, there's only ever two or three of us watching, so going on Gamevox or some other low-latency voice chat client and having everyone count down from three when starting a video on Crunchyroll or whatever works well enough for us. Even if anyone's off by a bit, everyone's within a second or so of each other so it's no big deal.

Obviously if there's more than three of you or someone doesn't have a subscription, that'd be an issue, and I don't really know what people do in that case. I've heard of people uploading files to google drive and using synchtube to watch them, if that helps? As I recall, there's also a chat service called rabb.it that allows people to stream video to each other for pretty much exactly this purpose, but I seem to remember trying it and finding the video quality was awful. I imagine the livestream thread would have better ideas than me.

EDIT: Whoops, reread your post properly and realised you weren't asking for advice! Ah well, I'll leave the post as-is if anyone's curious.

smenj fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
oh, that's fine. I'm always interested in seeing how people do these things. We just watched 1995's GitS tonight, actually. About five of us total.

• Locked thread