Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
This isn't right wing, but I feel like something needs to be said about 'progressives' who have internalized far right media rheotic.

In this case, a white hetero dude making a protest vote in California insisting a Stein vote isn't white privilege. While smearing Hillary with the same debunked garbage the GOP cooks up, and insisting a Trump presidency wouldn't be that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZPzpNEHtm0

If you didn't tell me he was a Stein supporter I would have assumed Jimmy Dore was a reluctant GOP voter. He's been going off on her almost at random in unrelated-topic videos lately.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Geostomp posted:

It will when he gets blamed for both his and Pence's mistakes while Pence uses him to launch his later bids.

He still won't mind, because he can always resign.
The nice thing about being President of the United States of America is that unless you get impeached, you can do no wrong (merely waste people's time), and regardless, you still get Secret Service protection for life.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Today, a man who claims himself a master persuader/hypnotist who knows all the tricks has completely fallen for Trump's persuasion.

Dilbort posted:

Why Trump Doesn’t Scare Me

Donald Trump scares a lot of people. They worry that he is a crazy racist who can’t be trusted with the nuclear codes. They worry that he will needlessly insult foreign leaders. They worry that he isn’t sufficiently knowledgeable to do the job. And so on.

But unlike the frightened masses, I perceive Trump to be safer than the average candidate for president. You might wonder what-the-hell I’m seeing that you are not seeing. That’s worth detailing because it is always fascinating when people look at the same situation and have wildly different interpretations. With that setup, here are my reasons why Donald Trump does not scare me.

I’m Not Afraid of the Dark

If you ask a hundred strangers to finish the following sentence, what types of answers would you get?

Timmy was afraid of …

I’ll bet the answer you would hear most often is “the dark.” Children are typically afraid of the dark because – as you know – ghosts and other monsters hide in the dark. Humans eventually grow up, but we never completely lose our childhood fears. Those fears are deeply ingrained.

“Dark” is a word that takes our brains immediately and automatically to a place of irrational fear. You might even say the word dark is a form of “pre-suasion,” which is coincidentally the title of an important, new book by the Godzilla of Influence, Robert Cialdini. Read it and learn how a word such as “dark” can rewire your mind to perceive your environment as more frightening than the evidence suggests.

Unlike most normal humans, I’m not especially afraid of the dark. I don’t believe in ghosts and I live in a safe neighborhood. That makes me less susceptible to the word dark as pre-suasion. If you happen to live in a dangerous neighborhood, and/or you believe in ghosts, the word dark is likely to influence you more deeply that it does me.

I also recognized soon after Trump’s GOP convention speech that Clinton’s campaign had evidently coached its surrogates to simultaneously use the word dark to pre-suade voters to see Trump as scary. What I saw was weapons-grade persuasion technique. Those of you who are untrained in the techniques of persuasion probably heard the word dark and it automatically started the fear subroutine in your brains, as Clinton’s team planned. Keep in mind that 42% of Americans believe in ghosts, according to a Harris Poll. Another survey found that 57% of Americans – and 72% of African-Americans in particular – literally believe in Satan. And Satan likes to hide in the dark. With the ghosts.

If you ask Clinton supporters what scares them about Trump, they will say things about his temperament. It will sound quite rational. But rational thought is almost entirely an illusion. What is actually happening is that Trump reminds you of something scary (in the dark) and confirmation bias fills in the “evidence” where there is none.

As a trained hypnotist, and a student of persuasion, I see the world through a persuasion filter. My viewfinder shows me confirmation bias, whereas many people are seeing Trump as an irrational conflation of ghosts, devils, and bogeymen that hide in the dark. Team Clinton created that persuasion trap. I recognized the technique. Some of you did too. Most of the world did not.

I’m From New York

You know how Trump is always saying inappropriate and violent-sounding things? Most people see that type of language as offensive and even dangerous. The exception is people who grew up in New York. We see it as “talking.”

After college, when I moved from upstate New York to California, I had to relearn how to talk. My New York style offended nearly everyone. Let me give you an example of how a Californian talks compared to a New Yorker.

Californian: It looks like it might rain today.

New Yorker: Oh, poo poo. loving rain. I need that like I need a goddamned bullet in my head.

See the difference?

When Trump talks about roughing-up protesters, or shooting someone on 5th Avenue, people from New York don’t raise an eyebrow. But Californians start wondering how to have that guy involuntarily committed to some sort of facility that can fix whatever is wrong with him.

I’m not defending Trump’s speaking style. I consider it a mistake to speak in New York style outside the state. I make that mistake several times a day. And nearly every first-draft of my blog posts is peppered with New York-style profanity and violent imagery. I take most of it out in the final pass.

So don’t be afraid of Trump because of the way he speaks. That’s how people from New York talk. If you don’t believe me, ask someone from New York if they are offended by Trump’s language. Then ask a Midwesterner or a Californian the same question. Only the New Yorker will laugh at the question.

Making a Huge First Offer

Trump has been consistent for decades in his practice of making an aggressive first offer and negotiating down to something reasonable. He talks about it in his book, The Art of the Deal. So when Trump announced he would deport 11 million people, I saw that as an aggressive opening offer, consistent with his history, and nothing worthy of fear. Most of the world saw it as a final offer.

It wasn’t.

Recently we learned that my interpretation from last year was accurate. Trump is now focusing on the “criminal” aliens who committed additional offenses after entering the country illegally. He plans to “prioritize” that group and get around to the rest at some future date, when circumstances might be different. That’s how a Master Persuader talks.

The problem is that Trump can’t say today that he will be lenient with illegal immigrants tomorrow because that would encourage more people to enter the country. The best play – and the only one likely to work – is to scare people into thinking he will deport everyone, then soften after the bad ones have been expelled and the wall is working. Trump is approaching immigration like a persuader. If you trust him to be kind later, his approach looks both humane and practical. But if you are afraid of the dark, and afraid of New York-style talking, you might see something sinister. I predicted last year that Trump would soften on deporting 11 million people, and he is doing just that, right on schedule. To me, Trump has never been scary on this topic. He was acting like a Master Persuader and using fear to slow incoming immigration as well as to get elected.

Pattern Recognition

The human brain is designed to recognize patterns, but we aren’t terribly good at it. We see patterns where none exist. And once we think we see a pattern, confirmation bias kicks in and supplies our minds with lots of imaginary “evidence.”

For example, if you think Trump is a racist, you were probably offended that he referred to Judge Curiel as “Mexican.” But if you do not think Trump is racist, you might notice that Americans with Italian heritage refer to themselves as Italian. And Americans with Irish backgrounds often call themselves Irish. Even Americans with Mexican heritage call themselves Mexicans. It’s just a shorthand way of talking. Every single one of us talks the way Trump does.

My perception of the Judge Curiel situation is that Trump was making a common-sense legal point about the nature of bias. All humans are influenced by their experiences, and a judge with Mexican heritage – and beloved Mexican family members – has a good chance of being biased against an alleged anti-Mexican defendant. That’s just a statement about how normal humans are wired. It says nothing about Curiel’s talent as a judge.

As a student of persuasion, my mental filters are set to spot confirmation bias the way bird-watchers are trained to spot birds. Most voters have never even heard of confirmation bias. They don’t know it is a thing.

Once you know what confirmation bias is, you can better recognize it in others. My perception is that what people see as Trump’s racism is actually their own confirmation bias. That doesn’t mean I’m right. But keep in mind that I am trained to spot confirmation bias in others, and this is the cleanest case I have ever seen.

The other possibility is that my writing about Trump has put me into cognitive dissonance and I’m the crazy one here. I can’t rule that out. But to the point of today’s blog, it explains why Trump looks safe to me and dangerous to those who don’t know what confirmation bias is.

So to sum up:

- People are scared of Trump because they're superstitious, especially blacks.
- All the evidence liberals use for why Trump is unfit for the office, like "Why can't we just use nukes?" is actually completely made up.
- People from New York will just laugh and think you are joking if you say "I think we should beat up protesters, I bet I could shoot someone and not lose any followers."
- Trump doesn't actually want to deport all illegal immigrants, he just wants to deport some at first, and then the rest later.
-Speaking as a white man, the idea that Trump will round up and forcibly deport non-whites isn't scary at all.
- Mexicans call themselves Mexican so when Trump says Curiel will be unfair in his ruling because he's Mexican, it's not racist.
- I'm trained to spot confirmation bias in others, hence everything they say about Trump is wrong.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I thought he was voting for Clinton because she has a ultra death note super drone sniper nukes on him.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
He's endorsed Clinton for "personal safety" reasons and he says that gives him extra freedom to talk about how great Trump is, I mean it's not his fault if people decide to suddenly vote Trump because of his blog posts, he's endorsed Clinton so he's not to blame.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

He's concern trolling himself.

Let that sink in.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Whatever. I hope he goes more crazy after Nov when Trump loses.

Also does anyone actually care about what he says? I have a feeling he's like Chowder and the only time I see him is this thread.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Twelve by Pies posted:

Today, a man who claims himself a master persuader/hypnotist who knows all the tricks has completely fallen for Trump's persuasion.

So to sum up:

- All the evidence liberals use for why Trump is unfit for the office, like "Why can't we just use nukes?" is actually completely made up.
- People from New York will just laugh and think you are joking if you say "I think we should beat up protesters, I bet I could shoot someone and not lose any followers."
- Trump doesn't actually want to deport all illegal immigrants, he just wants to deport some at first, and then the rest later.
-Speaking as a white man, the idea that Trump will round up and forcibly deport non-whites isn't scary at all.
- Mexicans call themselves Mexican so when Trump says Curiel will be unfair in his ruling because he's Mexican, it's not racist.
- I'm trained to spot confirmation bias in others, hence everything they say about Trump is wrong.

Seriously, how do success with a crappy comic make a man so egotistical?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Yeah, I just put my Dilbert comics in the trash. gently caress that guy.

Yes, I bought comic collections because I was stupid and young.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
That whole post reads like it was written by someone penning an op-ed for the college newspaper.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

As someone who grew up in New York and Connecticut: what the gently caress is he talking about?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Alt-righters are trying to make a fake scandal out of Hillary coughing, and have a trending hashtag on twitter to go with it: https://twitter.com/hashtag/HackingHillary?src=tren&data_id=tweet%3A772933189052538880

So Hillary supporters are taunting them with this: https://twitter.com/hashtag/TrumpCantSwim?src=tren&data_id=tweet%3A772933544158990336

Patton Oswalt in particular has been pushing the satirical tag:

https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/772933526144454656

This election is loving weird.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 6, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Rick_Hunter posted:

Yeah, I just put my Dilbert comics in the trash. gently caress that guy.

Yes, I bought comic collections because I was stupid and young.

Early Dilbert was pretty funny.

Also, Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side kind of trained many of us to think of comic collections as worthwhile.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Spacedad posted:

Alt-righters are trying to make a fake scandal out of Hillary coughing, and have a trending hashtag on twitter to go with it: https://twitter.com/hashtag/HackingHillary?src=tren&data_id=tweet%3A772933189052538880

So Hillary supporters are taunting them with this: https://twitter.com/hashtag/TrumpCantSwim?src=tren&data_id=tweet%3A772933544158990336

Trump can't swim, Charlie don't surf, ect, ect.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hodgepodge posted:

Early Dilbert was pretty funny.

Early Dilbert was only funny as no one had found that office setting niche uptil then.
That office stereotype X basically.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

happyhippy posted:

Early Dilbert was only funny as no one had found that office setting niche uptil then.
That office stereotype X basically.

Dilbert is kind of like The Simpsons; it started kind of rough but found a niche that it was good at. It was funny for a while and became popular.

Then it just coasted on inertia. Neither has had a really good idea in ages but people still pay attention to it out of habit.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

RIP said no one

https://twitter.com/jamilsmith/status/772944181035696128

Scalia and now her

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Now if only we could get more ultra conservative to follow their lead.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Dilbert is kind of like The Simpsons; it started kind of rough but found a niche that it was good at. It was funny for a while and became popular.

Then it just coasted on inertia. Neither has had a really good idea in ages but people still pay attention to it out of habit.

To be fair, the Dilbert TV show was really good for its brief gasp at life, though I suspect that might have been in spite of Scott Adams more than because of it. And while I used to think it was criminally shortchanged by UPN that it only got two seasons, in retrospect I'm now kind of glad that they killed it in its infancy before Adams has the chance to drive it into the ground himself.

E:

:wow:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I wonder how Hillary killed her.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/PhyllisSchlafly/status/765303015389601792?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I hope when she stands before God, He gives her a stern talking to, and then she has to watch the social progress she tried to stop continue. And then she comes around to it and lives forever in Paradise with everyone who has and will ever live because gently caress the concept of Hell.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
First Scalia, now Phyllis.

I guess they just don't make phylacteries/horcruxes like they used to.

Unless Hillary Clinton is secretly hiring groups of adventurers on the side, but I don't think we're ready to go full shadowrun just yet.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Don't fret, you will meet his campaign in hell after election day.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

NewMars posted:

First Scalia, now Phyllis.

I guess they just don't make phylacteries/horcruxes like they used to.

Unless Hillary Clinton is secretly hiring groups of adventurers on the side, but I don't think we're ready to go full shadowrun just yet.

What the hell do you think the Clinton Foundation is for?!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nine-gear crow posted:

To be fair, the Dilbert TV show was really good for its brief gasp at life, though I suspect that might have been in spite of Scott Adams more than because of it. And while I used to think it was criminally shortchanged by UPN that it only got two seasons, in retrospect I'm now kind of glad that they killed it in its infancy before Adams has the chance to drive it into the ground himself.

Yeah Scott Adams didn't have all that much input on it, and I think I heard about him being angry when the show's writers rejected one of his episode ideas flat out.

Really what he should have done like a decade plus ago was to go the Garfield/Jim Davis route: hire some other people to write and draw Dilbert and just focus on counting his cash. If the TV show's any indication, it would have resulted in a higher quality product by now!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fishmech posted:

Yeah Scott Adams didn't have all that much input on it, and I think I heard about him being angry when the show's writers rejected one of his episode ideas flat out.

Really what he should have done like a decade plus ago was to go the Garfield/Jim Davis route: hire some other people to write and draw Dilbert and just focus on counting his cash. If the TV show's any indication, it would have resulted in a higher quality product by now!

The last time I checked like half of his strips are from guest artists these days anyway.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

happyhippy posted:

I wonder how Hillary killed her.

Only way to kill her is by dropping a loving house on her. An evil, evil person who deserves a shallow grave.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Quotes of Mrs Schafly

Non-criminal sexual harassment on the job is not a problem for the virtuous woman except in the rarest of cases.

The atomic bomb is a marvelous gift that was given to our country by a wise God.

ERA means abortion funding, means homosexual privileges, means whatever else.

Men should stop treating feminists like ladies, and instead treat them like the men they say they want to be.

Every country that has experimented with women in actual combat has abandoned the idea, and the notion that Israel uses women in combat is a feminist myth.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Dilbert is kind of like Garfield; it started kind of rough but found a niche that it was good at. It was funny for a while and became popular.

You're not necessarily wrong, I just think Garfield is a way better fit.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm glad that old hag is dead. The world is a better place without her and I feel no shame celebrating her demise.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Ding dong the witch is dead

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Twelve by Pies posted:

So to sum up:

To the point of how New Yorkers talk, that's probably either how stupid New Yorkers talk or how regular New Yorkers talk when they aren't having to be polite or professional. As for Californians, we have our own stupid unprofessional dialect which I can switch back and forth from when it's, like, totally appropriate. This does not make a good argument fled ignoring the gross poo poo Trump says. Also we talk about rain like this: "Oh thank God it's finally loving raining thank you Jesus!"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spacedad posted:

Patton just mauled Martin Shrkeli on Twitter and it was great. It was kinda pathetic to watch Shrkeli bring rocks to a gun fight, but gently caress him.

Owen Ellickson's twitter has also been amazing, it's been steady "imagined" Trump conversations with people like Christie, Ryan and Pence, and they're funny as hell.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Patton just mauled Martin Shrkeli on Twitter and it was great. It was kinda pathetic to watch Shrkeli bring rocks to a gun fight, but gently caress him.

Owen Ellickson's twitter has also been amazing, it's been steady "imagined" Trump conversations with people like Christie, Ryan and Pence, and they're funny as hell.

Eventually the day will come where it will be standard for wealthy people to hire a twitter nanny who will prevent them from posting stupid, embarrassing things for everyone to read, but that day has not yet come.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Minenfeld! posted:

As someone who grew up in New York and Connecticut: what the gently caress is he talking about?

Don't you tangle with Scott Adams, from the mean streets of Windham, NY, "The Heart of The Catskills"

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bast Relief posted:

To the point of how New Yorkers talk, that's probably either how stupid New Yorkers talk or how regular New Yorkers talk when they aren't having to be polite or professional. As for Californians, we have our own stupid unprofessional dialect which I can switch back and forth from when it's, like, totally appropriate. This does not make a good argument fled ignoring the gross poo poo Trump says. Also we talk about rain like this: "Oh thank God it's finally loving raining thank you Jesus!"

It's either that or "God loving damnit why is every single godforsaken freeway full of accidents because these loving morons forgot how to drive when water started falling out of the sky and they crashed their cars in a panic."

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Quotes of Mrs Schafly

Non-criminal sexual harassment on the job is not a problem for the virtuous woman except in the rarest of cases.

The atomic bomb is a marvelous gift that was given to our country by a wise God.

ERA means abortion funding, means homosexual privileges, means whatever else.

Men should stop treating feminists like ladies, and instead treat them like the men they say they want to be.

Every country that has experimented with women in actual combat has abandoned the idea, and the notion that Israel uses women in combat is a feminist myth.

Good riddance.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/773131420583682048
https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/773120419243196420

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Instant Sunrise posted:

Ding dong the witch is dead

When I heard it this morning, I said the same thing :)