Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

LingcodKilla posted:

IG armies should be completely random and have to roll on a list to see what you get that game.
Don't got the models? Tough. Warp storms are a bitch my friend.

this but all non-Tau/Eldar/'Nid armies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Dont forget about the 'crons. We can arrive at the battle yesterday. :colbert:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

Fluff wise a reduced variety makes sense. An incredible (and very bureaucratic) logistics chain supports the Astartes and once cut loose from the Imperium, materiel would only degrade with time and use. Many of the legions aren't known for their discipline so it would be odd to see World Eaters fielding some of the more complex or hard to maintain stuff.

Also, CSM is meant to make up for it with stuff the loyalists don't get. One of the key problems is splitting the CSM and Daemon codexes since that reduces flexibility. We are really hurting for cheap ways (both points and cost) to get troops across the battlefield (which makes bikes and spawn ultra good), so foot slogging a CC orientated army in a shooting edition gets painful.

Also, some units are just awful, so that doesn't help. GW's attempts to fix them with formations isn't helpful since it means buying more models of stuff that's garbage outside of the formation, so you've got a bunch of stuff you'd never use outside of Apoc.

I wouldn't want everything that the Astartes have, but a buff to Possessed, a complete redesign of mutilators, a tweak to Dark Apostles (they're expensive points wise and take up a HQ slot with not much room for customisation), more Land Raider variants and some form of Drop Pod like transport (could be a Chaos altar that tears into real space and creates dangerous terrain after that).

The codex needs so much work it's not even funny. Daemonic Possession needs to be tweaked so that it gives the vehicle a 5+ invuln and eating a model only occurs if it has actually lost hull points (which would make dreadclaw drop pods very usable as drop pods), the whole challenge-reward mechanic needs an overhaul so it doesn't make special characters worse,

Besides terrible units though, the Codex's biggest problem is that there's too much redundancy, which is a problem that a lot of the older armies have (and that Tau are slowly acquiring). There are too many units whose sole purpose is "being good at hand to hand combat." Berserkers, Mutilators, Possessed, Terminators, Raptors, Bikers, and Warp Talons all pretty much occupy the same role--wreck poo poo in close combat, just with varying degrees of effectiveness (though bikes and raptors are more versatile and so much better than the others that those units don't even get used). And those units aren't actually better than their loyalist counterparts--they have worse wargear, no access to chapter tactics or anything similar, and typically cost as much or more.

I don't think Chaos needs Daemons in the army, but I agree that it needs a better way to get cheaper units, and it needs to actually make up for its deficiencies compared to marines with actual advantages. The codex's best CC units are completely outclassed by those in other books, its psykers can go to ML 3 but the god-aligned powers in the book are rear end, the book only has a single unit that can even attack flyers (and it's not great at doing that), and the book's transport options are just terrible for an army that's supposed to be good at assaults.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

LingcodKilla posted:

IG armies should be completely random and have to roll on a list to see what you get that game.

As a Guard player, I'd be 100% ok with this.

Quick NOVA recap:
The narrative was once again amazing. A new crew was running it, and they made some really unique and inventive missions. The crew we had for the warlords, and most of the nightfighters, was totally rad. Everyone bought in to the event. We had some seriously good games, and even a last-second upset win by yours truly to take home the coveted infamy prize! (I killed the most civilians!)

It's an extremely fun event every year, and if you're on the East Coast, I think you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. It is always a pleasure to see WhiteOutMouse and MasterSlowPoke, and (surprise!) SRM turned out to be a really good dude. I'll definitely be back again next year.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Speaking as Guard player I'd be fine with that for a campaign or something like that to give it more flavour.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

TheChirurgeon posted:

The codex needs so much work it's not even funny. Daemonic Possession needs to be tweaked so that it gives the vehicle a 5+ invuln and eating a model only occurs if it has actually lost hull points (which would make dreadclaw drop pods very usable as drop pods), the whole challenge-reward mechanic needs an overhaul so it doesn't make special characters worse,

Besides terrible units though, the Codex's biggest problem is that there's too much redundancy, which is a problem that a lot of the older armies have (and that Tau are slowly acquiring). There are too many units whose sole purpose is "being good at hand to hand combat." Berserkers, Mutilators, Possessed, Terminators, Raptors, Bikers, and Warp Talons all pretty much occupy the same role--wreck poo poo in close combat, just with varying degrees of effectiveness (though bikes and raptors are more versatile and so much better than the others that those units don't even get used). And those units aren't actually better than their loyalist counterparts--they have worse wargear, no access to chapter tactics or anything similar, and typically cost as much or more.

I don't think Chaos needs Daemons in the army, but I agree that it needs a better way to get cheaper units, and it needs to actually make up for its deficiencies compared to marines with actual advantages. The codex's best CC units are completely outclassed by those in other books, its psykers can go to ML 3 but the god-aligned powers in the book are rear end, the book only has a single unit that can even attack flyers (and it's not great at doing that), and the book's transport options are just terrible for an army that's supposed to be good at assaults.

I want to live in a world where Chaos gets a 16-seater Land Raider variant, or where Possessed hit as hard as Wulfen. Imagine if Chaos had even half the number of loyalist options for crossing the table or deploying in someone's face.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Snollygoster posted:

I want to live in a world where Chaos gets a 16-seater Land Raider variant, or where Possessed hit as hard as Wulfen. Imagine if Chaos had even half the number of loyalist options for crossing the table or deploying in someone's face.

Isn't the average Chaos Marine supposed to have been around a lot longer than the average loyalist? I could see them having higher base stats to reflect that.

Anyway, a Blood Angels supplement is (maybe) coming out soon.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Technowolf posted:

Isn't the average Chaos Marine supposed to have been around a lot longer than the average loyalist? I could see them having higher base stats to reflect that.

Anyway, a Blood Angels supplement is (maybe) coming out soon.

In GW's infinite wisdom they have decided that Codex: CSM should represent every flavor of evil marine, from ancient monsters to freshly turned and crazed zealots to merely striking out on their own. But unlike Space Marines they just get their one stat line and nothing other than VotLW. Forge your narrative!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

"Dude, Horus just croaked. What now?"
Abaddon re-tied his topknot. He totally had an idea. "I totally have an idea," he said. The Traitor Legions looked on expectantly. "Here's what we do. We run away."

Many helmed heads nodded. This seemed a wise course of action.

"Good idea," said Erebus.

'Hush." Abaddon frowned at the interruption. "But I think we should leave behind our jetbikes, Dreadclaws, Whirlwinds, Landspeeders - pretty much all anti-grav technology, really - as well as our bikes, attack bikes, and pretty much anything else we've used so far."

Fewer helms nodded this time. "Dude," said Lucius the Eternal, "we might need all that stuff. Some of that stuff is rad."

"Nah, I've made up my mind. Let's just go."

"But..."

"Let's. Just. Go." Abaddon waved the Talon of Horus. Its scythe-blade fingers made clickety-click sounds.

"Okay, let's just go," agreed Lucius.

Kharn wasn't so easily placated. "What about Cyclone Launchers? Because I saw those in Horus Heresy: Collected Visions, so we must be using th--"

"I feel like I'm talking to myself, here." Abaddon pointed a claw at the World Eater. It poked Kharn in the eye.

"Ow, Jesus, man. Okay, okay. We'll go."

"Yeah, that's what I thought."

Abaddon pimp-walked from the room, strutting like he owned the place.

"Hey, what about this conversion beamer?" asked Typhus. "Couldn't we use these in Rogue Trader? These are awesome. They go, like, FWOOOOOSH."

"Leave it!" Abaddon's voice called from the other room. Typhus put it down, grumbling.

Fabius Bile sort of shrugged. "So, uh, can I come with you guys? Because I was checking the passenger lists, and none of the Legions are taking their Apothecaries. I mean... don't you need us?"

Lucius patted his brother on the shoulder. "It's okay, man. We'll allude to the Apothecaries in the background text. I mean, you won't get to ever do anything, but you'll sort of be there in the fluff, y'know? A bit? Maybe?"

"Balls to this. I'm leaving the Legion. I'll make my own rules."

Kharn snorted. "Your rules will be lame for competitive play. Just watch. And people will call you Fabulous Bill."

The Traitors walked from the chamber, out to the landing pad. It was deserted.

"Uh, Abbs?"

Abaddon turned to Ahriman. "S'up?"

"Um." The Thousand Son gestured to the empty landing pad. "Where are all our gunships?"

Abaddon ignored him. "Weren't you red a minute ago?"

"We're blue now. It's... it's this whole... thing. Look, seriously, where are our Thunderhawks?"

"Oh, right. Them." Abaddon toyed with his topknot, swishing it back and forth, like a kitten with a fluffy toy. "We won't need those. We can run everywhere and stuff. Or push Rhinos out of hangers and ride them through the atmosphere. It'll be cool."

The Traitors shared a glance. This wasn't going well. Abaddon noticed their hesitation, and sought to calm them. "Relaaaaax. I'll invent new stuff. Like... spider robots with daemons in, and they have claws and stuff. They'll defile things. Maybe they can be called Defilotrons. It'll be sweet. And they'll have a gun on their chests, and tiny little heads. What? Why are you looking at me like that? You just wait. We'll rock this place all to hell."

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
On that note, GW is doing pre-orders for the formations in the new book, so you can see what the contents will be already, if not the rules. Here's what's on the site. The book advertises "11 new formations," so this covers the bulk of them (I expect one is a sorcerer cabal). They do not inspire a ton of confidence, because most of them look like garbage I'd never field unless the rules are so good as to make some of these entirely new units.

Favoured of Chaos
1 Daemon Prince + 15 Possessed (likely 3 squads)

Raptor Talon
10 Raptors + 5 Warp Talons (2 squads of Raptors, 1 squad of Warp Talons)

Heldrake Terror Pack
2 Heldrakes

Renegade Knight
Just a Knight

Maelstrom of Gore
Kharn + 48 Berserkers (4 squads, as packaged)

Helforged Warpack
1 Warpsmith + 1 Maulerfiend + 1 Forgefiend + 1 Helbrute

Chaos Warband
This is likely the core formation
1 Chaos Lord (terminator in the bundle)
1 Sorcerer
5 Terminators
3 Bikers
5 Havocs
5 Possessed
20 Chaos Space Marines
1 Helbrute

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Renegade Knight
Just a Knight

It's a normal knight kit with a Transfer sheet for an extra £2.

Why they don't just do a single knight kit with the carapace weapons sprue + all transfers I don't know. Who even buys the gimped kit without the extra weapons now?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Maelstrom of Gore
Kharn + 48 Berserkers (4 squads, as packaged)

Shouldn't that be 6 squads of 8? I think that was the formation in the Kharn advent calendar supplement from Black Library.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Looks like those Blood Angel rumours weren't bullshit.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Since when does the Death Company have a Captain, let alone one who knows the heresy was 10k years prior?

:goonsay:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
That says chaplain, also leaks for traitors hate are up somewhere, but I'm phone posting and copying from FB sounds awful.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey you're totally right. Cool, I'm just dumb.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

As a Guard player, I'd be 100% ok with this.

Quick NOVA recap:
The narrative was once again amazing. A new crew was running it, and they made some really unique and inventive missions. The crew we had for the warlords, and most of the nightfighters, was totally rad. Everyone bought in to the event. We had some seriously good games, and even a last-second upset win by yours truly to take home the coveted infamy prize! (I killed the most civilians!)

It's an extremely fun event every year, and if you're on the East Coast, I think you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. It is always a pleasure to see WhiteOutMouse and MasterSlowPoke, and (surprise!) SRM turned out to be a really good dude. I'll definitely be back again next year.

It was such a good time dude, it was awesome playing in the narrative, and I'm glad we even got to compete for the SRM cup, where I was promptly destroyed by you and MasterSlowPoke. Hanging out with everybody was great, and I hope more east coast goons can make the trip next year.

I'm lookin at you, BuffaloChicken!

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

Looks like those Blood Angel rumours weren't bullshit.

I'm hoping-- (whew, that was a close one). I mean, I'm remaining cautiously pessimistic.

This supplement will help me decide whether to press on as Blood Angels or move to Codex Red Marines. Though if history is anything to go by, this supplement will bring the Blood Angels near the power of C:SM only for C:SM to receive an update to push them firmly ahead again.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The Archangels Orbital Intervention force is already a formation from Shield of Baal which makes me expect that at least some of the formations are simply going to be reprints. I am almost completely certain that all we will see is a Decurion with a few new formations involving Death Company. I'd predict that the rules will ok but not particularly amazing.

The new rules can hardly be worse than the existing stuff we have, though. I was just going through Shield of Baal: Exterminatus and I was struck by just how bad most of the stuff in there is compared to more modern formations. Archangels Strike Force and the Archangels Orbital Intervention Force were the only two I'd actually run, and they are hardly ideal unless you want to spam Dreadnaughts.

Fingers crossed man. Fingers crossed. I heard a rumor about assaulting from reserves and if they give that to us without having to take three Stormravens I will be thrilled.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
Someone on Dakka leaked most of the formations and the Black Crusade detachment. The Kharn berzerker formation gives them Fleet, +3" on the charge, and once per game they get to create a second fight phase in the Movement phase, once they're already stuck in... and their opponents can't swing back. More or less double attacks. It's a Core formation, so you could use this as a respectable nucleus for a World Eaters list.

There's also a raptor formation that lets them charge out of deep strike, but without the benefit of extra attacks on the charge. Chaos... might be good again? I don't know???

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:laffo: at anyone that thinks formations are in any way balanced or can be used to achieve balance between factions.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
Haha, yeah you got me there bud!

Eventually there'll be so many formations they'll collapse in on themselves when the pendulum swings back toward streamlining the game. But for right now these apology DLC supplements are good enough bandages to keep me interested in playing.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Safety Factor posted:

:laffo: at anyone that thinks formations are in any way balanced or can be used to achieve balance between factions.

How does Warmahordes make them work? Or is the answer to that question "it doesn't"

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
Just got back from a camping trip over the holiday weekend, otherwise I would've been more active.

In regards to the list, yes I realize that thing is cancer, and looking at the rules I have to remove the allied detachment, that's ok. I can put some interceptors in there now. Anyways, to exp[lain how this tumor of a list came about, ITC does not allow Tyrant's Legion, which is my main army and I enjoy playing it.
I was thinking of doing another list when I remembered what a goon said about one of the most efficient detachments at the start of 7th, 1 librarian, 2 scouts, 3 thunderfires total of 500 pts per detachment, thats when i realised quad mortars where a thing.

Also I can't think of a way to play even a remotely competative (or even a list that stays on the table) guard or marine list without battle company and just not playing guard. Seeing as LVO is highly competitive that's a problem. I'll be bringing a non cancerous list to the 30k friday event but it seems like a bad idea to go down to Las Vegas for 1 day of the 3 day convention.

Some of you guys have been to LVO, is it just net lists of nothing but flying circus, 5 tyrants, battle company w/ skyhammer, and scatter bikes? Thats all I've heard about it, it would be wonderful to hear otherwise.

Forgot to add, I play 30k so yes I hate quad spam as well, I just can't see any other option to play 40k at an event for 40k

Sivores fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 6, 2016

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Four Score posted:

How does Warmahordes make them work? Or is the answer to that question "it doesn't"

They released a new edition in June and removed all theme forces (equivalent of Formations).

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Shouldn't that be 6 squads of 8? I think that was the formation in the Kharn advent calendar supplement from Black Library.

I thought Berserkers came in boxes of 12. Did they drop the number per box down to 8? I'd believe that if they did.

e: Traitor's Hate leaks are up on Atia's Blog
https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/1130

2e: There is a formation in the Decurion with 3 lords of skulls in it. gently caress off, GW. Just gently caress right off with that bullshit. Who the gently caress is that even for, and why did you think that dumbass bullshit was appropriate outside of Apocalypse? Seriously, just gently caress you with that poo poo

3e: In case you weren't aware, a Lord of Skulls is a Lord of War that costs 888 points. So that one sub-formation will set you back 2,664 points. For all of your standard 4,000-point games of 40k! :v:

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 6, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Formations have always been and always will be dumb for anything with points...

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Unless the Formation itself also costs points.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, clearly the answer is to do away with points altogether.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Safety Factor posted:

Well, clearly the answer is to do away with points altogether.

The obvious choice.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Since I am already mooching some bike bits from you guys, any of you happen to have some Librarian tomes that I could mount on the front of my biker Librarians?

Had some luck with the Ravenwing bike parts. The mantles don't fit so well on regular bikes as many of you said, but with cutting in the right parts I was able to get them on there with bolters while making it look pretty seamless.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Sivores posted:

Just got back from a camping trip over the holiday weekend, otherwise I would've been more active.

In regards to the list, yes I realize that thing is cancer, and looking at the rules I have to remove the allied detachment, that's ok. I can put some interceptors in there now. Anyways, to exp[lain how this tumor of a list came about, ITC does not allow Tyrant's Legion, which is my main army and I enjoy playing it.
I was thinking of doing another list when I remembered what a goon said about one of the most efficient detachments at the start of 7th, 1 librarian, 2 scouts, 3 thunderfires total of 500 pts per detachment, thats when i realised quad mortars where a thing.

Also I can't think of a way to play even a remotely competative (or even a list that stays on the table) guard or marine list without battle company and just not playing guard. Seeing as LVO is highly competitive that's a problem. I'll be bringing a non cancerous list to the 30k friday event but it seems like a bad idea to go down to Las Vegas for 1 day of the 3 day convention.

Some of you guys have been to LVO, is it just net lists of nothing but flying circus, 5 tyrants, battle company w/ skyhammer, and scatter bikes? Thats all I've heard about it, it would be wonderful to hear otherwise.

Forgot to add, I play 30k so yes I hate quad spam as well, I just can't see any other option to play 40k at an event for 40k
I thought they had the mega battle Friday the 30k tourney was sat-sun? Because that was my plan.
Also you should take that quad spam to Ursa next week.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
This thread perplexes me so often, am I just spoiled from living in LA and thus having an endless supply of people who play with? If I run into a dude who is running some super cheesey list I just don't play them. My friends who play Chaos Space Marines seems to have decent lists and rarely get stomped and enjoy playing them. Yes they are weaker than a lot of codexes and should get buffs, but it's not like they are impossible to play with. I don't understand why people complain about 40k being a bad competitive game and yet still continue to play it that way.

In other more constructive news I am continuing my streak of painting bugs. Finished some Warriors today.

Think i am going to try and paint 3 Malanthropes by Thursday.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

This thread perplexes me so often, am I just spoiled from living in LA and thus having an endless supply of people who play with? If I run into a dude who is running some super cheesey list I just don't play them. My friends who play Chaos Space Marines seems to have decent lists and rarely get stomped and enjoy playing them. Yes they are weaker than a lot of codexes and should get buffs, but it's not like they are impossible to play with. I don't understand why people complain about 40k being a bad competitive game and yet still continue to play it that way.

For casual games with friends and at the game store, you're absoutely correct. But there are a lot of people who enjoy playing in tournaments, but have had that enjoyment sucked away because their favorite army just cannot compete in them anymore. You don't get to choose who you play in a tournament.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Speaking of the overall quality of the game, how exactly are rules and such even handled in these matches? Is it just expected that you keep up on all the additional material and new rules in various stuff for every faction, are you supposed to just keep a bunch of copies of all that junk in case the other player calls you out, is there some main site or resource for all this?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I just want more than 4 units in my army to be worth playing in a game.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Master Twig posted:

For casual games with friends and at the game store, you're absoutely correct. But there are a lot of people who enjoy playing in tournaments, but have had that enjoyment sucked away because their favorite army just cannot compete in them anymore. You don't get to choose who you play in a tournament.

Was there an edition of 40k that was actually balanced and thus made a good tournament game?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I recall tournies in 3/4 being pretty varied in the field. Necrons were brutal with orb armies, hive tyrant whip (untargetable mixed into a max size termigaunt mob that ran forward and made contact with a unit then dragged your tyrant into close combat sometimes halfway across the board) but perhaps just because their was less stuff to abuse it felt more balanced overall.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.

Hencoe posted:

I thought they had the mega battle Friday the 30k tourney was sat-sun? Because that was my plan.
Also you should take that quad spam to Ursa next week.

I would but I havent bought almost $500 worth of quad mortars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It'd be cool if they split Chaos into like 2 or 3 books instead of trying one size fits all that everyone hates. You could have a book for Legions, one for renegade chapters and one for fallen humans. It's so weird that they split AdMech, an obviously thin army, into two books, but didn't do the same thing with Chaos, which would have no problem filling out more material.

• Locked thread