Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ah, so it's a sales technique from giving him a fancy english name to make the boring looking kid seem as powerful as he is.

...if that's the actual reason then Reigen might be the best character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Reigen is literally the only one to call him Mob. Everyone else says Kageyama or Shigeo. Why on earth does Reigen call him Mob?

Because Reigen is the most important character, so the title is based on his nickname for Shigeo.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I believe that in Japan a "mob character" is someone who doesn't stand out, or is a mook or something?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Someone questioning Arataka Reigen-sensei ?!?!?!?!?!!?!??!!?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Silento posted:

I believe that in Japan a "mob character" is someone who doesn't stand out, or is a mook or something?

Yeah, afaik his nickname comes from that or the term "mob enemy" in a video game because of his "lack of presence."

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Ah, so it's a sales technique from giving him a fancy english name to make the boring looking kid seem as powerful as he is.

...if that's the actual reason then Reigen might be the best character.

Reigen is the best character anyways, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Reigen is the best thing humanity ever created.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Silento posted:

I thought it was both that as well as a self-depreciating in joke by ONE about his own character designs.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Reigen is literally the only one to call him Mob. Everyone else says Kageyama or Shigeo. Why on earth does Reigen call him Mob?

That's not true. The telepathy club president calls him mob too, iirc.

And yes, Mob means "background crowd".

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 2, 2016

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
So I'm the teacher coordinator for the comic book club at the middle school I teach at, and today we were talking about manga. Somehow we ended up talking about the One Punch Man anime and I brought up Mob Psycho 100. We ended up watching the most recent fight, it was pretty fun

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
awesome

spread the gospel

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

imagine entire middle schools learning the ways of Body Improvement

an entire generation of jacked kids with pomps

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yes please.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This show is incredible.

Literally got chills during 100% Animosity.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Catching up from episode seven now and 150% Teru was great and Mob needs to teach his brother not to use his powers on people. Cheering for the Vice-President to overthrow Kamuro.

e: Well those were two great episodes and it was interesting to see that even Explosion Mob has a shortcoming in that he has very little combat experience or rather he has never had a fight that lasted more than a second or two. Hoping we'll get to see a bit more of ???% before long.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 4, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

EmmyOk posted:

Catching up from episode seven now and 150% Teru was great and Mob needs to teach his brother not to use his powers on people. Cheering for the Vice-President to overthrow Kamuro.

e: Well those were two great episodes and it was interesting to see that even Explosion Mob has a shortcoming in that he has very little combat experience or rather he has never had a fight that lasted more than a second or two. Hoping we'll get to see a bit more of ???% before long.

???% really reminds me of that one character from the last season of the Hunter x Hunter anime: Nanika, a spooky, all-powerful creature, who inhabits the body of Killua's sister, and wakes up whenever the sister is asleep. In that show, it turns out that Nanika is actually pretty cool, and that Killua must learn to accept her as his sister.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh hey, did Mob get a new battle track at the end there? Which got like half a minute of build up before five seconds of AAAAA- before cutting into silence. Nifty.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Terper posted:

Oh hey, did Mob get a new battle track at the end there? Which got like half a minute of build up before five seconds of AAAAA- before cutting into silence. Nifty.

That was more mob being pissed than a fight.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

That was more mob being pissed than a fight.

That's true of the overwhelming majority of Mob's fights, to be fair.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Worst episode yet, it had no Reigen.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ETB posted:

Worst episode yet, it had no Reigen.

You don't feature a star player.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Woah that's not the voice I expected from Division Leader

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That was incredible. I like how Ritsu is taking initiative and using the lesser psychics powers to escape. I love Mob in no-gently caress-around mode. I really hope he just chumps all the Scars next episode without having to go ???

This is also the only anime where I watch and enjoy the opening and ending. I normally skip that poo poo but it's just masterful here.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm sad that the division leader isnt actually a penguin in a gas mask like I thought based on the OP

But yeah, great episode, anime saved, etc

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So how come sub-100 Mob was able to wreck Koyama's poo poo when even 100% mob was resisted for about a second or two?

The only thing that comes to mind is before he was passively relying on his subconscious deflector shields that kept shattering while this time he's like "Right, I can just move your body directly with my mind."?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Pretty good episode, though this part strays a bit too close to traditional shonen fare for my tastes. Still alright.

Only problem is, there was a really nice two-page spread in this part of the manga that I felt conveyed a lot more weight than the corresponding part of the anime:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I think the appeal of this show for me really comes down to the post-destruction talks with Reigen. I really hope the last episode of this is Mob explaining all of the people and property he broke to Reigen and Reigen's response.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Raenir Salazar posted:

So how come sub-100 Mob was able to wreck Koyama's poo poo when even 100% mob was resisted for about a second or two?

The only thing that comes to mind is before he was passively relying on his subconscious deflector shields that kept shattering while this time he's like "Right, I can just move your body directly with my mind."?

There were bystanders, Mob didn't want to hurt the guy (at first), and Mob was blinded by trying to save Ritsu, during their first fight. He could've wiped the floor with Koyama, but it was his first time ever willingly using his powers on another human. There's a lot of factors that lead to "the more experienced and aggressive fighter spends most of the fight winning the fight," even if Mob outclasses him. Also, I don't think Mob had any idea at all that something like a barrier-breaking technique was even possible, until he was eating a right hook to the nose.

The thing about Mob is his %'s aren't a power meter. He has access to all that power basically whenever. It's just when he explodes, he can't stop from using it - it all comes out at full strength, no holding back. The difference between 100% Anger, 100% Hostility, and just slamming Koyama all over the place is only a matter of control. Mob beat down Koyama in cold blood, with full understanding of what he was doing and what his powers would do, with the control to stop as soon as he felt appropriate. Right now, he's way scarier to fight than he is during a 100% explosion, because he has total control.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'd say it's because when he was 100% Hostile he was trying to intimidate and send a message to Koyama. Whereas this time he just wanted to get him out of the way as quickly as possible so he could save Ritsu.
100% doesn't actually give him more power than normal or anything, but changes how he uses it.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

There's also the fact that, with very few exceptions, most espers can't use offensive abilities and a defensive barrier at the same time. When Koyama was being slammed down to earth he had his barrier up, but this time around he was already using his Telekinetic Spiral when he got stopped and slammed around.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Basically, Mob was caught off guard by Koyama first time around, and this time Mob was ready for him.

Look forward to what the rest of Claw's 7th Division has to offer! 2 down, 9 to go.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like that Teru is mainly here to deliver sick burns to fallen Scars on Mob's behalf.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Remember the percentage doesn't represent how much power he's using, it represent how much emotion he's been bottling up. 100% is like the cork popping off the bottle.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That all makes sense, thanks.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

I like that Teru is mainly here to deliver sick burns to fallen Scars on Mob's behalf.

also to think

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Marathoned the show, anime is really good you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
If everyone is not special maybe you can be what you want to be
I'm sure each of you will find your own answer

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

21 22 23 24 25
Dreaming, worrying, Pump Up
26 27 28 29 30
Finding yourself, telepathy
31 32 33 34 35
Unreasonable demands, Psy Palm Strike
36 37 38 39 40
The springtime of youth, Salt Splash

Mob Mob what do you want
Mob Mob why do you want
Mob Mob who do you want
Move, move, just like Mob!

If everyone is not special maybe you can be what you want to be
Even with joy and sorrow in your heart
Your life is your own, okay? You can be not special, and that's okay

41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

61 62 63 64 65
A hollow smile, Spirit Laser
66 67 68 69 70
Needing a clue, Demon Rush
71 72 73 74 75
No confidence, Psy Wave
76 77 78 79 80
Love in an Exorcism Photoshop

Mob Mob where do you go
Mob Mob which do you go
Mob Mob how do you go
Love? Love? Just like Mob!

If everyone is so special maybe you can't be what you want to be
Even radiating deceit and disdain
Your life is your own, okay? If you're special, that's okay!

If you can see you're not alone maybe you will find your own answer
If you've got conflict and hate in your heart
Your life is your own, okay? Even if you run, that's okay
If you can do it, you're not in the wrong

If everyone is not special, then you can be what you want to be
Even with joy and sorrow in your heart
Your life is your own, okay! You can be not special, and that's okay

81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90
91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99

• Locked thread