Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The track has no lights, you better make sure not to smash your headlights because visibility is very poor, at least for the first few laps before dawn. There will be some time acceleration involved so the sun will come up during the race.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AMS August dev update. Not really much in there compared to other dev updates other than the confirmation of a spotter being added, Oulton Park being laser scanned and a totally-not-Formula Ford being added to the Brit Pack DLC. Also the Ultima GTR and Brands are gonna be in the next beta.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
God drat, I would have played this a lot sooner if I knew that there were Ebisu Circuit mods!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mBbikKvB8s

That's one of my dream tracks that I haven't seen in any other games yet :snoop:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Patrick released a mega track pack for AMS for its 1.0 release

Pro-click, judging by most of Patrick's stuff.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Patrick also confirmed he's doing track work for Reiza officially now, so the 3 tracks he's started on (Snetterton, Autopolis and Mas du Clos) will likely be his last.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I love Reiza and AMS, but the way they skirt licenses is a bit suspect. At this point Patrick's content is at least half official given his connection and insider info.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CART Extreme as well, Renato did work on that since he was on the original mod team and its gotten all the same physics updates as official cars as well as a matching menu icon. To be honest I don't mind in the slightest, especially if they're gonna pursue some of those licences for Reiza17.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

njsykora posted:

Mas du Clos
I had never heard of this track until you just mentioned it but wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMQXjzC39g0&t=99s

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
:siren: Reminder

GhostDog posted:

Early notice, because I'm rather busy for the rest of the week and I might forget:

Next Event:

Also maybe check your performance quickly if you've never done night racing in AMS, drop to HIGH shadows if you have problems. It shouldn' really be an issue with the Marcas, but you never know.

Edit: I also changed the server password, because some people didn't want to type so much. And also I forgot about the other one.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

njsykora posted:

Patrick also confirmed he's doing track work for Reiza officially now, so the 3 tracks he's started on (Snetterton, Autopolis and Mas du Clos) will likely be his last.

This is good news. His tracks have been great.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

If I wanted a racing/driving game with decent simulation of actual driving, say gran turismo 6-like, but more arcadey progression/upgrading (just slap pricier stuff in that makes you go faster and turn better rather than fiddling with a thousand values) and an interface that isn't a torture instrument, what should I check out?

Possibly with a lot of cars and pieces to buy, not 10 cars with three upgrades each. Ideally it would also be about "normal" and varied racing, I don't really like F1 or superspecial races, I prefer kinda everyday cars that you could actually go buy at a dealership in real life (from a mx5 to a Nissan 370 to lamborghini or Ferrari at the top end )

PC or ps3, I have and enjoy a racing wheel with 3 pedals and a 6 gear shifter. I love gt6 but gently caress its career, its interface, and the miata bloat, I swear there's a thousand cars that are the exact same.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You could try Project Cars. People like to poo poo on it but it has a career mode in a bunch of different cars. Or just wait until Forza Horizon 3 comes out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You're basically not gonna get a game on PC with actual track racing and car upgrading until Forza 7 unless you want to play Forza Horizon 3 with a wheel. Otherwise PCars is probably your best bet though it doesn't have upgrading it's the only game with a semi-decent career mode. Though I wouldn't file the UI under non-garbage fires.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

You could try Project Cars. People like to poo poo on it but it has a career mode in a bunch of different cars. Or just wait until Forza Horizon 3 comes out.

"an interface that isn't a torture instrument"

he should probably stay away from project cars

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'd say Grid autosport. It's got a decent variety of cars, a career progression, not a lot of setup and tuning.

Need for shift 2 is decent too as a casual racing game with Sim elements that lets you take normal street cars out on track.

Project cars is a bad choice in my opinion because it's got a very small selection of street cars and you have to tune/setup each one to even make them halfway decent to drive.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Grid Autosport's a good shout actually, I always forget that game exists.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
You could do worse than Grid Autosport. Grid 2, for example. In that series, though, I still think the original Grid is the best. Plus it runs like a dream at obnoxious PC gaming in 2016 resolutions.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The whole 'buying parts' with a money system is a console thing, really. I'd just play Gran Turismo if that's your thing.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I secretly miss Gran Turismo 1 starting you off with a used car and racing your way to a 3000GT with full decals :allears:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I loved it too.

Had some shitbox city car that ended up with a turbo bigger than the engine. I remember the TVR in the first one, that was a beast.

There was also the Pikes Peak Peugeot, with the huge aero. But that's where it all fell apart, as fastest laps were set by just keep the throttle taped on that thing and riding the barriers in corners.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dodge Copperhead for life

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Wheel support being added to Forza Apex today, also confirmed for Forza Horizon 3. Basically every Logitech and Thrustmaster wheel, with Fanatecs coming later this month. Only the Logitech crew get to use H-pattern shifters for now though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh great because I don't already waste enough time on Forza 4 (Just got my brothers Xbox), iracing, and AMS.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

njsykora posted:

Wheel support being added to Forza Apex today, also confirmed for Forza Horizon 3. Basically every Logitech and Thrustmaster wheel, with Fanatecs coming later this month. Only the Logitech crew get to use H-pattern shifters for now though.

Well guess I'm not playing if that's it for wheel support. =/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Always buy Fanatec and you'll do fine. :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

njsykora posted:

Whelp I guess that answers my previous question about what game to try, it supports my G25 too. It might have a kinda restrictive car/track list and no upgrades to buy, but it's hard to beat a free game like this!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
:siren: Reminder

Next Event:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
:siren: For future AMS races I am going to assume everybody has Patrick's mega track pack: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/automobilista-track-megapack-18-tracks.11779/. The guy does official tracks for Reiza now, these mod tracks fit the game in terms of quality and are basically a free DLC.

And to make use of them right away, AMS next sunday will be SuperV8's at Bathurst. You don't want to show up for this one last minute with no practice at all.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

GhostDog posted:

You don't want to show up for this one last minute with no practice at all.

If you do, you can still probably be faster than Ohsh.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Shots fired.

Also, this Jaguar XK13 for AC is pretty fun. When you lift it sounds like some WW2 fighter is coming in for a strafing run.

And I added a few point to point tracks to the AC mod list and did some minor work here and there on the OP.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GhostDog posted:

. You don't want to show up for this one last minute with no practice at all.

You're not my daddy

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Ziploc posted:

If you do, you can still probably be faster than Ohsh.

Dont have to be fast if you stay on the track.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Quoting from the NASCAR thread regarding Heat Evolution which came out today.

Slickdrac posted:

There's a lot of controller/wheel issues on PC

Meanwhile on console, 2 minutes and I'm underwhelmed. Edge clipping everywhere

You start with only 6 tracks available to race...

Sim physics are comically bad. No sense of speed and you are absolutely glued to the track. Barely turning jerks the car and reminds me of Daytona USA

Normal physics, not much different. For a good laugh, pause and unpause the game a few times. The physics panic on unpause. Driving a straight line smoothly is not doable. Smooth corners aren't too hard

Draft effect=just hold a vibrator

Daytona 14 laps. Won by 15 seconds because the pack was doing 170 and can go 190 no draft. Going to try with max speed setting 105.

Pin balling all around on purpose, no wrecks

100 ai much better speed. Parked on track, no yellow. Pathetic result of just spinning and no air at all when field hit, but did bring out yellow. Yellows are summed, including pit stop, which magically repaired all cars and I got free pass to stay on lead lap..

Pit stop, 20 seconds

Career car numbers: 8 28 36 99. That's it

How to drive any track: hold the gas down at all times, tap the brake to turn harder

Game has no stats to speak of really

Bump drafting doesn't work, side draft does, flag man never stops waving green

And refunding. Eutechnix did a better job sadly.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

njsykora posted:

Quoting from the NASCAR thread regarding Heat Evolution which came out today.

That's a serious bummer. The best offline NASCAR and WW2 games remain modded titles from the early 2000s. :pcgaming:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It would be cool to get a casual non iRacing Nascar game to play. Sadly that new one looks like a dumpster fire.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The Crew is free if you care to log into your UPlay account.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Crew is a good racey game.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Apparently there is a big rFactor 2 related accouncement this weekend.

I don't know what it is but I'm already disappointed.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
"We give up. Sorry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

The inevitable doom of full-Forzas finally coming to PC.