Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NitroSpazzz posted:

supercharged R32 time attack car

pics pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
R32 of what flavor? Nissan, VW, etc.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Not done yet but he's done a couple track days in it before dumping a ton more time into it this winter.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
VR6s sound so drat good. Bummer about the motor.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Wookie mode on the OG R32 was amazing sounding.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

NitroSpazzz posted:

Friends supercharged R32 time attack car had a failure last weekend, initial tear down showed this...

I didn't know they made chewing gum for cars, neat!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Wrar posted:

VR6s sound so drat good. Bummer about the motor.
He has a couple spares ready to toss in. First he's trying to figure out exactly why this one failed so it doesn't happen again.

sharkytm posted:

Wookie mode on the OG R32 was amazing sounding.
This one sounds pretty drat mean, supercharger whine to go with the sound.

He was only running a couple pounds of boost, has other pulleys to increase boost as needed.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Love that valve cover

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

TotalLossBrain posted:

The oil passage hole for the crank end bearing is plugged by something. Maybe it's on purpose as it looks very smooth and uniform. But I don't see any other way that bearing could get lubrication.

Fake edit: It actually looks like someone filled it with JB Weld and sanded it smooth?

Even though it has been asserted that there is no oil system in this engine, on the left journal you will see a chamfered passage which appears to be for oil. It might be some sort of centrifugal drain back oil passage.

Either way, the passage you see and assume is filled is actually just where another bearing with a corresponding hole was laid during the build. Now I don't know if that would be a failure cause or not, but considering the kind of failure, I would put it on the a suspect list.

I do know that accidentally plugging oil feed holes on pressurized oil journal engines by accidentally laying a bearing in the wrong polarity is a sure way to wreck an engine.

I am guessing here that the bearings are made with the holes in both shell halves so that they can never be laid incorrectly but they do leave that mark that looks like a filled hole.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
it could have been for a variant that was oil injected.

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
No bearing shells in a 2 stroke. Ball races in just about all of them
Needle bearings on the rod. Some cheap stuff might have a bushing on the small end.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Not even once.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

B4Ctom1 posted:

Even though it has been asserted that there is no oil system in this engine, on the left journal you will see a chamfered passage which appears to be for oil. It might be some sort of centrifugal drain back oil passage.

I explained that earlier in the thread. It connects the back side of the bearing carrier to the transfer port to ensure a small amount of fuel/oil passes through the ball bearing.

The carrier has a passage drilled all the way through so that you can use either bearing carrier on either side and it will have a hole lined up with the hole. There is no hole on the opposite case because the transfer port is offset.

After reading through the journey log of this aircraft it appears the crank broke after a prop strike. So I am guessing it cracked in the strike and then got incredibly hot as they attempted to run it afterwards.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I guess Im old and I dont know whats cool anymore but Ill never understand this. Then again old people like stuff that Boyd Coddington made and I dont like those cars either. Ill be in my garage wrenching on my shitboxes if anyone needs me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was posted to reddit. Someone claimed they buy these cars at a junkyard, fix them up for a show and then junk them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

I guess Im old and I dont know whats cool anymore but Ill never understand this. Then again old people like stuff that Boyd Coddington made and I dont like those cars either. Ill be in my garage wrenching on my shitboxes if anyone needs me.

I saw it done back in the mid 90's when I was in high school, era doesn't really play into it. I mean it wasn't stanced to hell but the owner had cut the springs and drove around dragging pan on asphalt.

Point being idiots are always out there ruining cars to try and stand out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Even minitruckers know to put drag blocks to save your stucture/mechanical bits and those guys paint without masks.

They even figured out that companies stock them in every store for 10 bucks, and it only takes 5 minutes to replace. For some reason they call them "hitch balls"

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

xzzy posted:

I saw it done back in the mid 90's when I was in high school, era doesn't really play into it. I mean it wasn't stanced to hell but the owner had cut the springs and drove around dragging pan on asphalt.

Point being idiots are always out there ruining cars to try and stand out.

I started driving in the mid 90s but I dont remember the super camber thing. It was more mini trucks, third gen F bodys and 5.0 Mustangs. The cars to have at that time that were fast were the TBird super/turbo coupes, 5.0 Mustangs, LT1 F bodies, Grand Nationals, Syclone/Typhoons and the occasional Impala SS.

I had the most tired 289 66 Galaxie/C4 that I thought was the poo poo. The car was cool but omg it was soo slow even though I thought I had a muscle car cause it was old and had a V8.

The only things I remember having camber like that were the old air cooled swing-arm VWs. I almost want to think thats where the look came from before MK3 and MK4 VWs were a cool thing to have.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

Even minitruckers know to put drag blocks to save your stucture/mechanical bits and those guys paint without masks.

They even figured out that companies stock them in every store for 10 bucks, and it only takes 5 minutes to replace. For some reason they call them "hitch balls"

"Man all these roads are hosed what does the stupid government do with all our tax dollars?!?"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

I started driving in the mid 90s but I dont remember the super camber thing. It was more mini trucks, third gen F bodys and 5.0 Mustangs. The cars to have at that time that were fast were the TBird super/turbo coupes, 5.0 Mustangs, LT1 F bodies, Grand Nationals, Syclone/Typhoons and the occasional Impala SS.

I had the most tired 289 66 Galaxie/C4 that I thought was the poo poo. The car was cool but omg it was soo slow even though I thought I had a muscle car cause it was old and had a V8.

The only things I remember having camber like that were the old air cooled swing-arm VWs. I almost want to think thats where the look came from before MK3 and MK4 VWs were a cool thing to have.

But I wasn't talking about camber at all, I was talking about cars dragging their pans on the ground.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

xzzy posted:

But I wasn't talking about camber at all, I was talking about cars dragging their pans on the ground.

Mini trucks didn't want to grind oil pan, just frame. The front was always higher unless bagged, then it was only level at a stand still.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

xzzy posted:

Oh poo poo sorry, I love lowered poo poo, I misunderstood. I pretty much DD this

I cant stand the cambered stuff, ugh

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

Mini trucks didn't want to grind oil pan, just frame. The front was always higher unless bagged, then it was only level at a stand still.

When I lived in northern Florida for a few years those guys were all about dragging frame and it was fun and cool. Leaving a party one time the median was on fire and I suspected one of my friends and it was. One of his magnesium blocks broke off while he was making sparks and flew off into the grass. Good times, haha.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fart Pipe posted:

When I lived in northern Florida for a few years those guys were all about dragging frame and it was fun and cool. Leaving a party one time the median was on fire and I suspected one of my friends and it was. One of his magnesium blocks broke off while he was making sparks and flew off into the grass. Good times, haha.

I had an S10 with a 5/7 static drop. That was my daily life.

No wonder my back hurts now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Fart Pipe posted:

Oh poo poo sorry, I love lowered poo poo, I misunderstood. I pretty much DD this

Just an FYI, I love your truck. It's lowered just right and makes me want to drop the Courier just a couple inches.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Fart Pipe posted:

Going anything lower on these trucks would require notching the frame anyways. But our trucks are still very drive able like this.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Nothing wrong with lowering as long as you don't scrape everywhere and destroy the suspension's functionality.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Or having to run the muffler into the trunk space.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That looks like the gas tank to me not the muffler.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Fart Pipe posted:

Yeah this is awesome, but its actually still practical. If anything, you improved the ride quality for 99% of situations where you don't have a bed full of cargo.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Armacham posted:

Yeah this is awesome, but its actually still practical. If anything, you improved the ride quality for 99% of situations where you don't have a bed full of cargo.

Thanks, yea its still driveable. Im going to lower it correctly this winter, for now its just springs and sometimes the front bottoms out on the a-arms though getting the nitro drop shocks helped that a ton. I want to swap disc brakes on it and Ill get the drop spindles and whatever springs match the height it has now so it has a lot more suspension travel.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Just an FYI, I love your truck. It's lowered just right and makes me want to drop the Courier just a couple inches.

Thanks man and definitely lower it, lowered trucks are awesome.

Valt posted:

Going anything lower on these trucks would require notching the frame anyways. But our trucks are still very drive able like this.

Yea I would never cut the frame to get it any lower, thats definitely where I draw the line.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
VW buys stake in Navistar

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Perfect thread for it. RIP North American diesel market. :(

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
We have a diesel market? Save pickup trucks and VAG, who even sells commercial diesels anymore?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

The Door Frame posted:

We have a diesel market? Save pickup trucks and VAG, who even sells commercial diesels anymore?

Um, I think Chevrolet offers a diesel in the Cruze. Or they did. I don't know about the current generation.

Oh, BMW and Mercedes!

So basically just the Germans.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Left Ventricle posted:

Um, I think Chevrolet offers a diesel in the Cruze. Or they did. I don't know about the current generation.

Oh, BMW and Mercedes!

Ford offers a diesel for the Transit. Not sure about the transit connect. Or any of their not trucks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

Oh, BMW and Mercedes!

They said the curze diesel is coming back for this gen. The base mdoel jag XE is a diesel now, too. Both ford and dodge offer a small diesel in their vans.

class 5 and 6 truck sales are split between hino and navistar, and almost exclusively diiesel. class 7 the regular truck players get into it and everything is diesel.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

El Jebus posted:

Ford offers a diesel for the Transit. Not sure about the transit connect. Or any of their not trucks.

Can confirm that the Transit Connect has no diesel in the US, just the 2.5L I4 and the 1.8L EcoBoost I4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I think that the bruising that diesel took is very much a VW-diesel issue and not a diesel-in-general issue. There are still people out there that want a diesel and, with VW diesels now essentially out of the picture, it leaves room for another OEM to come in and capture a portion of that market. Frankly, with so many OEMs already developing diesel applications for other markets (e.g. Europe), it doesn't make sense not to offer some diesel options in the US. Perhaps not as extensively as VW's "let's turn America into mini-Europe w/r/t diesel usage" strategy, but definitely makes sense to have some.