Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I had that problem with Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. I bought a copy snd Disc 2 wouldn't load at all. So I bought another. Disc 2 wouldn't load. Then a third. Disc 2 wouldn't load. I have yet to finish that game. And it's a shame too because I hear you get to punch Nash's face in

FYI, Silver Star Harmony is available on PSN if you have a PSP or a Vita. It's piss easy compared to SSSC, but the music quality is a huge step up, so I'd say it breaks even compared with Complete.

But I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one that seemed to be cursed with a single game. I got a used copy of FF8 where the second disc was messed up; the game froze every time Odin showed up to gank a random encounter (guess who saved after getting Odin but before finding this out? YEP.) I managed to get through most of the disc by avoiding encounters as much as possible (bless you Enc-None), but then the game froze anyway during Squall's little brawl with that soldier on the hoversuit thing during the Garden Battle.

So I got a replacement copy where the second disc worked. But then the third wouldn't load at all. I bought a 3rd copy, this one new. It got damaged during the delivery (the back of the case was practically shattered!) and the third disc kept freezing on that one too. Eventually I gave up and was later able to just get it on PSN, where hopefully my file won't get corrupted or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know how I would have reacted had any of my FF disks had that kind of error o-o ye gods

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Fedule posted:

Oh by the way I believe it's time for people to start posting that one OCRemix. You know the one.

Okay fine I'll do it. It's The Rose General, the only piece of music to actually make me say "holy poo poo" out loud.

Yeah I love that remix. KatetheGreat makes generally pretty good stuff (though on youtube she's now under the name Erutan and puts up video far less often though she's put out at least one actual CD that I own.) but that's one of the few remixes where she made the lyrics herself and its pretty great. I actually learned how to sing the whole song at one point though I've since lost most of it, though the refrain works its way back into my mind fairly often.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Bufuman posted:

FYI, Silver Star Harmony is available on PSN if you have a PSP or a Vita.

Do you hate people to be recommending this, or something? o.O

(For those not in the know, I'm not joking. Harmony is the FF Chronicles of the 4 Lunar 1 remakes out there. The load times are loving terrible.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
For me it was FF7 Disc 2 that gave me problems, though it was in one of the trails right before Cloud reaches Sephiroth and the really crazy poo poo goes down. I've managed to get by a couple times, but most of the time it'd just freeze.

Just got done recording another big gameplay chunk. We're about to reach the part where we've got a ton of sidequests opening up, including resuming Chocobo Hot & Cold. I suspect the latter to take at least two updates by itself...

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

SorataYuy posted:

Do you hate people to be recommending this, or something? o.O

(For those not in the know, I'm not joking. Harmony is the FF Chronicles of the 4 Lunar 1 remakes out there. The load times are loving terrible.)

I had blocked the horrible load times out of my memory. My bad. :eng99:

But it may be worth it just for the aforementioned improved music quality alone. I just can't praise it enough. Just compare the battle themes of SSSC and Harmony. The former sounds like something out of a 90s MIDI site while the latter sounds like ACTUAL music.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

For me it was FF7 Disc 2 that gave me problems, though it was in one of the trails right before Cloud reaches Sephiroth and the really crazy poo poo goes down. I've managed to get by a couple times, but most of the time it'd just freeze.

Was this the wind section at the northern crater? Thought that was only a major known bug for the PC version

quote:

Just got done recording another big gameplay chunk. We're about to reach the part where we've got a ton of sidequests opening up, including resuming Chocobo Hot & Cold. I suspect the latter to take at least two updates by itself...

Chocobo H&C has one drawback; it is so poorly spread out through the game. You get introduced to it late disk 1, have one forest. Then, if you finish everything avaible to you at the time, there is literally nothing to do for the entire of disk 2 save for one chocograph. I demand better pacing in my jrpgs :colbert:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Tashilicious posted:

Was this the wind section at the northern crater? Thought that was only a major known bug for the PC version

Chocobo H&C has one drawback; it is so poorly spread out through the game. You get introduced to it late disk 1, have one forest. Then, if you finish everything avaible to you at the time, there is literally nothing to do for the entire of disk 2 save for one chocograph. I demand better pacing in my jrpgs :colbert:

It WOULD be nice to have the mountain upgrade able to be unlocked at some point during your travels on the second continent so that you don't have to keep traveling through the mountain path. Maybe have the chest somewhere around the Iifa Tree to prevent sequence breaking?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tashilicious posted:

Think so, don't remember FF7 as well and it's been 15-20 years or so but that sounds about right. It was the PS1 version and definitely seemed to be a disc issue from what I remember.

And yeah, I agree about Hot & Cold's pacing. We're gonna get all but a small chunk of it done once we start up again, which is kinda disappointing considering we only got one Chocograph in all of Disc 2.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also, Tantarian isn't actually weak to Fire, he's weak to Holy (not that you have any way of exploiting that either time that you can fight him).

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bufuman posted:

It WOULD be nice to have the mountain upgrade able to be unlocked at some point during your travels on the second continent so that you don't have to keep traveling through the mountain path. Maybe have the chest somewhere around the Iifa Tree to prevent sequence breaking?

Doesn't ocean come before mountain? It's been a while.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tashilicious posted:

Doesn't ocean come before mountain? It's been a while.

Mountain comes first, you need it to unlock Ocean.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fedule posted:

Oh by the way I believe it's time for people to start posting that one OCRemix. You know the one.

Okay fine I'll do it. It's The Rose General, the only piece of music to actually make me say "holy poo poo" out loud.

I'm fairly certain that like half of this game's soundtrack is intended to have lyrics.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Steiner and Beatrix's interaction is both adorable and badass. I like how even Steiner, the goofy comic relief knight, gets a large amount of characterization and, even his moment to (excuse the phrase), shine brightly during this scene.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Fedule posted:

Holy crap, this is really good. I can't believe this wasn't included in the Final Fantasy 9 album they put out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Probably because there was another track by her already on it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ReturnOfFable posted:

Holy crap, this is really good. I can't believe this wasn't included in the Final Fantasy 9 album they put out.

It was the product of a lady formerly known as katethegreat but later as Erutan.
http://www.erutanmusic.com/

She probably sold it on her own albums. I had no idea it was even from OCRemix, I first heard it on YouTube years and years ago.
Some more of her work.

She was crazy popular among the FF fans I know back when her stuff first came out many years ago.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER FIFTEEN: And then when they landed on Treno aeverything was okay and they had a card game but while they were gone a hundred disasters happend

This is my team for the end of disc 2. Taking both white mages would be better, but Kukri runs off after the first mistodon fight so I'll just take Owen Wilson from the start.

Mr. Stroper has one last chance to ruin my day. He only slaps Bort again.

Goodbye Mr. Stroper, and go to hell.

Mistodons! While they're nonissues if you have Insomnia at normal levels, here they're slight issues.

Gitan mutes them with Butterfly Sword-based Soul Blades. Head Attack sucks but Fira is a OHKO on everyone, while Gitan and Owen Wilson survive the physical.

Mist is a gigantic pain. Bort has the magic defense to survive and Gitan gets by on raw HP. Otherwise I have no Shadow damage countermeasures. And the sleep can kick in on Bort since she doesn't have magic stones, really.

Hey, look, I'm actually casting Cura! WOW!

Besides that, it's mostly Stopping.

Side-LP challenge: Replace Bort's text box with a funny caption.

Reward: Props in a video later.

Second Mistodon fight has a single one. Standard strategies apply. Owen Wilson spends the battle like his character spent the second half of Anaconda: dead.

At least one Mistodon encounter is assured on this screen. It's another loner.

Owen Wilson's major contribution here is Chakra.

It recovers MP, one more than a Stop costs.

And he recovers one more than a Chakra costs when using it on himself.

Waow, I'm an MP battery!

He survives the third fight, and Bort nets Ability Up. That'll be more than a little useful later.

I wanted to make a joke about MP costs here, but Leviathan costs 42 and Kukri has 46. drat.

Well that is disc 2 over, since the rest is cutscenes. Cutting the update in half here would be kinda lame.

So let's go on to the heart-pounding hippo fitness segment.

I get him high enough level to get Tantarian. This is a real beaut. The card tournament is almost here.

I don't buy much at the moment. Money is tight. Gotta save up.

I try to round out my card collection for the tournament with one last kick.

Um.

These persist through resets, too. When the cards are determined is something I don't know. If it weren't for Tantarian and Antlion I'd be kinda screwed.

"But boss, doesn't that require levels?"
"...No?"
"Then I'm off to get laid! YEEHAW!"
"Christ what an rear end in a top hat."

Ratchel's back! More importantly, the Coral Ring is back! This thing had been sitting on her forever, as the last chance to equip her before this is right before Beatrix 3.

I am an unabashed Tintrix shipper. :colbert:

Now we're at Treno now! Holy damage immunity is important, as a lot of endgame bosses cast Holy!

This is Gitan's motivation. My motivation is the first place prize. It's essential at level 1. I gotta have it. This is the Battle City Tournament I've been referring to, and why I've cared about sources of good cards.

This is my deck of choice. Dryad and Zuu came from Cleyran kids, so only one of these, Antlion, dropped from a battle. Ramuh's arrows are disappointing, but the rest are good.

wha

oh come on

there.

Round two happens I guess. Auto-cropping borders on screenshots also happens.

Cardona isn't much of a card shark.

RIP Quark 1710-1800

I save between every round to preserve my good cards in case I get really unlucky and lose, but this time it really matters.

Or I win easily. Huh. I credit Tartanitan and Dryad hitting their weaknesses and Sand Scorpion's decent stats.

Auto-Life is the crux of disc 3 and 4 level 1. This Rebirth Ring is all but mandatory as the first boss that regularly uses a non-elemental party-wide attack is right before they show up in synthesis shops.

And, hey, it's handy to have it for free.

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara; less work to suicide on optional Type A fight than to win or reset; incredible number of resets for phoenix down RNG; and then again; Marcus gained levels; Snared by the Mandragoras leaving Quan's Dwelling; Only one on a pointless phoenix down rng; Antlion did not cooperate; Again, Antlion did not cooperate; Soldiers beaten too hard once; twice; thrice; Gitan lied Cleyrans died; Tinhank and Marcus didn't make it; bonus fourth Soldier beating; Alexandrian Gauntlet toll: Beatrix 3, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 2, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 1, Beatrix 3; Knuckleheaded death to Ralvuimago; Actually two of them; dunked by Hilgigars; Stroper sweepstakes; resources depleted by zombies; Stroper sweepstakes 2; ran out of magic tags; Stroper sweepstakes 3; Auto-Potion; Beaten to Bort; zombie-on-zombie violence; more zombie-on-zombie violence; Stroper sweepstakes 4; Stroper sweepstakes 5; Magic Elevator Ride zombies: Gitan striked, Roulette suicide, Roulette suicide 2, Gitan striked 2; Counter and Auto-Potion do not mix; Ramuh and Shiva insisted on sucking.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wow, Zidane kicking Eiko kinda comes out of nowhere

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Bort: Ho, don't do it

*Kukri runs off*

Bort: Oh my god

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Finally saw Eiko's horn in the FMV so that's cool

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

DeafNote posted:

cant go wrong with a guy who has an organ following him everywhere

There are a lot of aspects about Garland that remind me of Golbez. The organ theme music is the most obvious, but his black armor, the fact that he rides a boss airship, he uses a pawn to achieve his goals, makes references to other celestial bodies, and some other stuff we'll get to really drive it home.

I always loved Golbez as a villain and Garland is just as :krad:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Are we posting ReMixes? And havn't mentioned the Battle Theme as played by an acuostic guitar and a Nokia 3310? Because that is the best one ever, hands down.

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00872

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 6, 2016

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I think the whole Alexandria battle is hands down one of the best sequences in any FF game. I literally cannot think any other better than this.

I know the beginning of disk 4 has a really good one too, but I prefer this one due to the whole build up and what is possibly the first Summon/Eidolon/Aeon/Esper vs Summon/Eidolon/Aeon/Esper of the franchise

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I love OCRemix

quote:

but then the game froze anyway during Squall's little brawl with that soldier on the hoversuit thing during the Garden Battle.

wow that happened to me too at the exact same moment
something about that scene eh

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Simply Simon posted:

I'm currently on vacation so the perfect game guide's version of Stroper Madness will have to wait a little, unless I find time randomly after a good day's swim on the beaches of Croatia.

Let me just tell you this: OFS went through his own personal hell trying to get Zidane zombie'd and not fingered by Stropers. You can look forward to a strategy in the Guide which is even crazier.
Yaaay work time again!

quote:

Gonna preface from now on to prevent possible confusion: I'm quoting from the Excalibur 2 Perfect Game Guide! This is how not to only beat the game at low level, but to also make a speedrun of it, and how to also not miss any missable items! It's elaborate as hell and maybe slightly insane!

Because the Iifa tree strategy the guide uses is vastly different (and far more involved) than OFS', I will post bigger excerpts. Don't worry, it's all crazy.

code:
 o In order to get through the Iifa Tree without collecting EXP, you'll need
   to get a character under Zombie status. Garnet makes a good candidate.
 o With the equipment listed in the previous circuit, with Shell status and
   with full HP, Garnet will always survive a Dracozombie's Zombie Breath.
God bless Maths. Note that OFS got ZidaneGitan zombified.
The actual strategy is not that interesting, Vivi kills the party, Garnet shells herself, heals to full, gets the breath in the face, casts Life. If the dragon doesn't cooperate, I dunno, cry a little? A thrown Tent helps probably. Though the dragon needs to come from a random encounter on the way to the elevator, so more uncertainty. Don't ever forget that this is also a speedrun: you can't just run circles and flee if you get the wrong encounters, you have to get the dragon randomly on the way. And not get Stroped in the dick.

Now this stuff, I need to quote fully, because oh boy.
code:
  |   for his show-down with REDACTED     towards the end of Disc 3. That   |
  |   means filling up his Trance gauge so that he is 2 or 3 hits away from |
  |   full.                                                                 |
  |                                                                         |
  | * The gauge goes from 0 to 255. Without High Tide, each hit fills it by |
  |   a random amount between 0 and Zidane's SPR. Zidane won't have High    |
  |   Tide activated during the REDACTED    battles and his SPR will be 23. |
  |   This means he will need his gauge to be at least 231, but that's only |
  |   a 1/24 chance of getting filled from a single attack. You'll want to  |
  |   get most of the filling done here since you'll get attacked often and |
  |   can still survive attacks.                                            |
  | * With the equipment listed earlier and High Tide, each hit here will   |
  |   fill Zidane's gauge by 26. Do some testing to find out how many hits  |
  |   he needs to trigger Trance so that you have some orientation. Filling |
  |   it to just above the B in the ATB bar is a good rule of thumb, since  |
  |   you still need to leave some room for boosts in the future.           |
  | * The only attack Zidane can survive now is the Strike used by Zombie.  |
  |   They appear in groups of 2 or 3. However, don't spend more than 2     |
  |   rounds taking hits, because they can use Melt and Roulette as well.   |
  | * You are guaranteed to face a party of Zombie on the way down to Soul  |
  |   Cage. 2 rounds of 3 attacks each will fill Zidane's gauge by around   |
  |   60%. You can do most of your Trance gauge filling there. However, if  |
  |   it's not enough, then 1 random battle with Zombies on the way to the  |
  |   green leaf platform should be enough.                                 |
  | * From this point on, reset the game if Zidane ever enters Trance.      |
  '-------------------------------------------------------------------------'
Yes, he is actually using Trance as a strategy. And planning ahead...a while...to pull that off. I cannot possibly imagine how many incidental resets this means if Zidane ever gets hit by something before you can flee. I know the REDACTED thing is loving hard on SL1 for many reasons, and instantly solving it through Trance might be attractive, but holy hell.

I sure hope OFS' strategy isn't secretly the same and I'm spoiling his grand "Trance is USEFUL for this" reveal :ohdear:.

Anyway, Garnet being the zombie opens up some interesting possibilities:
code:
 o For subsequent random encounters, have Zidane use Flee as soon as possible.
   If the enemy attacks Garnet, he will cover her thanks to Protect Girls, but
   be sure to heal him back up to full HP after each encounter. If Zidane gets
   knocked out, then simply have Eiko knock herself out before Garnet casts
   Life if you're facing Dracozombie, or uses a Soft if up against Stroper.
 o Zombies shouldn't pose a problem if Zidane is equipped properly, and you can
   use them for Trance gauge filling if needed.
 o If Garnet gets healed by Dracozombie's Thundara, have her attack herself to
   return to half HP before Zidane uses Flee. This way Protect Girls will still
   be able to trigger in subsequent battles.
...which probably are completely useless if the Stroper Sweeps before Zidane can act.

Then after collecting a bunch of treasures and poo poo, this stands out:
code:
  | • Once satisfied with your gauge, simply have Zidane and Eiko throw an  |
  |   Elixir at all but the last Zombie, then wait for the remaining Zombie |
  |   to make its move. Cross your fingers that it isn't Melt.              |
Keep in mind that if I didn't miss it somewhere, the last time the game was saved was at the end of my last update.

The next battle at least has a contingency plan, but man oh man would I not like having to wrestle with the mess that is FF9's combat system. WHILE under pressure of "gently caress, poo poo just went wrong what do I dooo":
code:
     .=====================.                                         ____
  .--| BATTLE: DRACOZOMBIE |----------------------------------------(0 AP)--.
  |  '====================='                                         ŻŻŻŻ   |
  | • All you need to win this battle is for the Dracozombie to attack some-|
  |   one other than Garnet.                                                |
  | • Once it does, have the remaining character knock themselves out and   |
  |   Garnet throw an Elixir to win the battle.                             |
  | • If Garnet is knocked out, don't reset! You can still win by casting   |
  |   Stop with Vivi - have Eiko cast Reflect on him or throw Tent at the   |
  |   Dracozombie.                                                          |
  | • Unless Vivi and Garnet both start out with full ATB gauges, wait for  |
  |   the monster to attack before you input your commands. Since you never |
  |   know how full the enemy's ATB gauge is, it could happen that you tell |
  |   Vivi to knock himself and Eiko out only for the enemy to get its turn |
  |   just before Garnet throws Elixir, with no one but her left to target! |
Quoting this for the neat inset and well-thought out strategy to get Zidane to an exact HP amount. This is a VERY GOOD guide after all, apart from all the madness.
code:
                                                         .=================.
 o You will now finally reach the bottom. Use Phoenix    |     ZIDANE      |
   Down on Vivi and Eiko, but do NOT revive Zidane!      .=================.
 o Pick up the Elixir and the Brigandine.                | Mythril Dagger  |
 o Remove all of Zidane's equipment, then equip him with | Bandana         |
   the Black Belt and activate his HP+20% ability.       | Mythril Armlet  |
 o Have Garnet cast Life to revive Zidane with exactly   | Brigandine      |
   37 HP - perfect for Lucky Seven!                      | Reflect Ring    |
 o Afterwards, equip Zidane as indicated to the right.    >---------------<
 o Also take a moment to cure Garnet's Zombie status,    | Ability Up      |
   equip her with the Silk Robe and Madain's Ring, and   '-----------------'
   activate her Ability Up ability.
As Soul Cage is dealt with by throwing a single Elixir, this is already preparation for the fight with Amarant. The sheer amount of planning, man.

First though, that glimpse of humanity:
code:
o Breathe a sigh of relief and save once you exit the Iifa Tree area!
Amarant is beaten with a single attack and then Lucky #7.

For the Mistodons, the guide does take Garnet for the first few fights. I don't know how much better Soul Blade is for silencing (if at all), guide just casts with both White Mages. And uses Tents.

code:
     .======================.                                        ____
  .--| BATTLE: MISTODON x 2 |---------------------------------------(3 AP)--.
  |  '======================'                                        ŻŻŻŻ   |
  | • Vivi casts Stop non-stop (yes, pun intended) >__>                     |
  | • Garnet and Eiko should cast Silence every chance they get until both  |
  |   Mistodon are Silence'd. Use spreaded spells until they connect with   |
  |   at least one monster - then switch over to single-target casting. You |
  |   need this because Vivi is weak to Fire with his Magician Robe.        |
  | • Zidane should throw Tent at whichever Mistodon has not been inflicted |
  |   with Silence yet. After that, he should distribute Phoenix Down - you |
  |   want as many characters as possible to be conscious at the start of   |
  |   the next battle!                                                      |
  | • Zidane and Vivi will survive most attacks and heal up automatically   |
  |   with Auto-Potion. There is random variance in each attack, but they   |
  |   should survive all but the strongest hits.                            |
Quoted for the pun.

And then:
code:
 o For no particular reason, your party is healed of their status effects at
   this point, but their HP isn't replenished. They're not even revived,
   which would be extremely helpful. This is the reason why Zombie isn't worth
   it in this segment.
Weird!

And finally, for the last thing to do on Disc 2:
code:
 o Run down the root. You should aim to have only 1 battle and end it with 1
   or 2 castings of Stop. Make sure Amarant survives the battle and gets 2 AP
   toward his MP Attack ability.
All of this is of course extremely important to also keep track of - the speedrun aspect does mean that you cannot just spend an hour mastering everything on everyone, after all!

Next time: motherfucking Hippaul

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I played Something to Protect on Theatrhythm so many times that I can't listen to it without envisioning the sequence.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That whole sequence is great. And packed with great music again.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Does anyone know a good lp of Dissadia? Preferably goon made, or at least without facecam.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Does anyone know a good lp of Dissadia? Preferably goon made, or at least without facecam.

not that you can't get a good response here, but did you mean to post this in the Recommendations thread?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

morallyobjected posted:

not that you can't get a good response here, but did you mean to post this in the Recommendations thread?

No, I meant it in here, with all the dissadia chat and all. Hope it's not going too far off topic.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure why Kuja's supposedly deviating from your plan, Garland. Pretty sure that without Alexander, Alexandria is goddamn toast.

I mean, unless you actually handed him a "Destroy The World" script. Which... no, no, you totally look like the kind of guy who has a "Destroy The World" script.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
The deviating from the plan is Kuja's plan to take Alexander away and have it beat up Garland.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Glazius posted:

I'm not sure why Kuja's supposedly deviating from your plan, Garland. Pretty sure that without Alexander, Alexandria is goddamn toast.

I mean, unless you actually handed him a "Destroy The World" script. Which... no, no, you totally look like the kind of guy who has a "Destroy The World" script.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Y'know, for as iconic and memorable as this is (and secretly a good scene for exposition at that) I don't remember Garland being here at all. I didn't remember him turning up on-screen in any capacity until way, way later. I feel like there has to be some reason for that confabulation but it's definitely not just Bahamut and Alexander stealing the show! Everything else about this event and related scenes I can remember pretty much perfectly, but Garland just... isn't there in my memory for some reason.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Garland, it me.

I'd totally destroy a Holy Macross Missile launching castle if my minion forgot the loving milk.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Glazius posted:

Did you miss the part where Kuja was freaking out when he realized Garland was there? It was the first time all game Kuja lost control.

Also consider what Kuja said when he was monologuing to himself back at the end of Disk 2:

Mega64 posted:

Such is the way of the strong. And it is the providence of nature that only the strong survive.

He's been plotting to betray Garland for years now. Shame he seems to have underestimated the power of the big eyeball in the sky. Odd considering he himself was apparently using it up until now. Maybe Garland can make better use of it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Glazius posted:

Killing Brahne was a pretty big deviation from the plan most likely.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

NikkolasKing posted:

Did you miss the part where Kuja was freaking out when he realized Garland was there? It was the first time all game Kuja lost control.

He's been plotting to betray Garland for years now. Shame he seems to have underestimated the power of the big eyeball in the sky. Odd considering he himself was apparently using it up until now. Maybe Garland can make better use of it.

That's not quite it. What Kuja didn't expect or consider possible was that Garland would take any notice of what was happening in Gaia. Garland didn't do any particular unexpected thing that Kuja wasn't prepared for, but by showing up at all he completely scuppered Kuja's plans, because said plans hinged entirely on remaining undetected. I guess Garland just wanted to show off by appearing at a key moment because that's just how he rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Iretep posted:

Killing Brahne was a pretty big deviation from the plan most likely.

Garland sent Kuja to kidnap Brahne to make her his wife.

• Locked thread