Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Trabisnikof posted:

I can't wait for the off brand knockoff quality auto-car upgrade kits to come out.

Then you get to have neighbors with some beat up old civic with comically oversized DALPHI-brand lidars strapped to the roof unable to make left turns across traffic and with a keen ability to honk its horn at every single cat within 10ft of the road.

Where I live, it's the bro-truckers who do most of the stupid poo poo on the road.

I don't think they're type likely to install auto-car kits but then again, most of those trucks look like they've never seen anything more than a couple of feet off the pavement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Crowsbeak posted:

A rather evil racist just died tonight, I wanted to see her reaction to HRC winning.

She had access to internal polling data and decided now was better.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

computer parts posted:

You do know regular auto fatality numbers don't come from auto manufacturers right?

The NHTSA knows when someone dies in a car, they don't know how many autopilot miles Tesla owners have logged because that information is collected by Tesla through their telematics system. One is a matter of public record, the other is not. How do you propose that an independent entity get numbers on autopilot use except from Tesla, the company that collects that data?

Of course I could just point out the single recorded autopilot fatality as ample evidence of it being uncommon. That's .003% of total automotive fatalities in a year.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Guy on his phone projecting strong "gently caress you" vibes

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NippleFloss posted:

The NHTSA knows when someone dies in a car, they don't know how many autopilot miles Tesla owners have logged because that information is collected by Tesla through their telematics system.

Obviously before telemetry it was impossible to determine any sort of rate of how people did things.

Some say the mystic totem known as "polling" could reveal these results, but historians dispute this.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Trump...Trump is like a car. And you look and there is nobody at the wheel and everybody is like LOOK OUT ITS GOING TO SWERVE ALL OVER THE ROAD WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE AHHH

* dramatic pause punctuated by a self satisfied smirk*

..but it doesn't, does it? Everything's okay. It stays the course. Because that car is driven by a robot. And that robot is the freedom loving american electorate. Now, Hillary Clinton is like a watch. She has all these facts and figures and oh sure, it's water proof, we guarantee it, we promise. The eggheads promise. But look what happens when you wear it in the shower. The steam gets in. Just like the cash and your tax dollars getting into Bill's fat bank accounts.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Samurai Sanders posted:

Looking at news of Duterte calling Obama a son of a whore and the US ambassador a gay son of a whore I am wondering why him and Trump haven't made out yet or if they have already and we just don't know it.

I see this pop up, and it makes me wonder what contribution to the global economy the Philippines makes. Who loving cares about its president. I fully admit the only things that comes to mind about the Philippines is this insane murderer being its president and (child) sex tourism.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
We already have self driving vehicles. It's called a horse.
Get a horse.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

NippleFloss posted:

The NHTSA knows when someone dies in a car, they don't know how many autopilot miles Tesla owners have logged because that information is collected by Tesla through their telematics system. One is a matter of public record, the other is not. How do you propose that an independent entity get numbers on autopilot use except from Tesla, the company that collects that data?

Of course I could just point out the single recorded autopilot fatality as ample evidence of it being uncommon. That's .003% of total automotive fatalities in a year.

A few other nice perks about the Model S/X: they have fake OBDII ports. They don't let you collect even basic information from the vehicle period. And if you try to get around it, they will call you up angrily and accuse you of corporate sabotage.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Trump...Trump is like a car. And you look and there is nobody at the wheel and everybody is like LOOK OUT ITS GOING TO SWERVE ALL OVER THE ROAD WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE AHHH

* dramatic pause punctuated by a self satisfied smirk*

..but it doesn't, does it? Everything's okay. It stays the course. Because that car is driven by a robot. And that robot is the freedom loving american electorate. Now, Hillary Clinton is like a watch. She has all these facts and figures and oh sure, it's water proof, we guarantee it, we promise. The eggheads promise. But look what happens when you wear it in the shower. The steam gets in. Just like the cash and your tax dollars getting into Bill's fat bank accounts.

Oh sure Hillary is just like the watch, just waiting for the opportunity to tell you motherfuckers what time it is.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Philippines's greatest exports is Filipinos.

Engineers or Nurses, take your pick.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

NippleFloss posted:

Since literally no one else could provide that information your argument is basically that you will never believe it, so why not just say that instead of asking for a citation? Who else would have information on miles driven with autopilot engaged?

The hate-boner for that company by so many in this thread is so bizarre. I don't know if its a product of Elon being an insufferable douche or the Left's susceptibility to "No True Scotsman," but no automotive company has done more to encourage the development of electric vehicles. Right now you have Porsche talking about how their 2020 release will be superior to current Teslas and every major manufacturer describes their electric vehicle as the answer to Tesla. They forced conventional auto makers to compete in the segment, which would be laudable even if their own product was poo poo.

And yet you have people in this thread gleefully talking about how the Solar City buyout will sink them.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zimboe posted:

Get a horse.

It would be false advertising to say a horse is self-driving. Because after all what is the self?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zimboe posted:

Get a horse.

Nay.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Eifert Posting posted:

The hate-boner for that company by so many in this thread is so bizarre. I don't know if its a product of Elon being an insufferable douche or the Left's susceptibility to "No True Scotsman," but no automotive company has done more to encourage the development of electric vehicles.

See this is what I mean by being weasel-y with definitions.

What does "encourage development" mean? Does it mean they're funding research? Or does it mean they're being a bullet-point in a competitor's marketing scheme? Going by the rest of the quoted post, it's the latter.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

woke wedding drone posted:

I honestly wonder what I would do if I was in this position. Say I'm sitting in a restaurant eating lunch and suddenly Donald loving Trump walks in with his contingents of handlers, security, and media people. Would I have the courage to speak up and call him a disgusting racist to his face or would I just look down and pretend he wasn't there.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
I feel like the best source for the safety of self-driving cars is probably the rates they get charged by insurance agencies.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

computer parts posted:

Obviously before telemetry it was impossible to determine any sort of rate of how people did things.

Some say the mystic totem known as "polling" could reveal these results, but historians dispute this.

Lol, your solution to getting more definite information about miles driven with autopilot information is to poll drivers. That will surely be reliable information.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone analyzed the carbon emissions of a horse? Cows apparently significantly impact climate change so it may be high.

Has anyone made an electric horse? These equestrians are killing our planet.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

FilthyImp posted:

The Philippines's greatest exports is Filipinos.

Engineers or Nurses, take your pick.

*extremely Bourdain voice* don't forget cover bands!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I honestly wonder what I would do if I was in this position. Say I'm sitting in a restaurant eating lunch and suddenly Donald loving Trump walks in with his contingents of handlers, security, and media people. Would I have the courage to speak up and call him a disgusting racist to his face or would I just look down and pretend he wasn't there.

The best "gently caress you" to Trump would be to pretend you don't know who he is.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Eifert Posting posted:

Has anyone analyzed the carbon emissions of a horse? Cows apparently significantly impact climate change so it may be high.

Horses aren't ruminants so beyond that I'm not sure how much methane they produce.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wad up marshmellow fluff or some maple syrup on your fingers and then go shake hands.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

yo you got that G-SHOCK?

I do, looking back my drunk uncle was a water sport enthusiast. I've worn it on and off though my life, its a bit more beat up than the comparable ebay models.

Good watch, has the date on it. Easy to forget what day it is.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

See this is what I mean by being weasel-y with definitions.

What does "encourage development" mean? Does it mean they're funding research? Or does it mean they're being a bullet-point in a competitor's marketing scheme? Going by the rest of the quoted post, it's the latter.

I distinctly remember reading multiple longform pieces about companies developing patents for electric vehicle systems and sitting on them 8-10 years ago. I am not an engineer and I can't expound on how or even if Tesla has made major advancements in the technology. I can tell you that, by offering a mass produced electric vehicle, they have greatly encouraged other manufacturers entering the field. That's just common sense.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NippleFloss posted:

Lol, your solution to getting more definite information about miles driven with autopilot information is to poll drivers. That will surely be reliable information.

While we're at it, let's get obesity statistics from McDonalds.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I assume the secret service agent would hurt me if I flung some salad dressing at him. So I'd probably just look at my phone, too.

or

"What's it like being a millionaire?"

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FuturePastNow posted:

I assume the secret service agent would hurt me if I flung some salad dressing at him. So I'd probably just look at my phone, too.

or

"What's it like being a millionaire?"

"What kind of handshake is that you pansy?"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

computer parts posted:

While we're at it, let's get obesity statistics from McDonalds.

This is more akin to forming an independent committee to determine how many Big Macs they sell.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nothing, because thick men in black suits with earpieces would have come into the restaurant minutes before he entered, scanned the place thoroughly, seen that you were there, and kicked your commie liberal tree loving rear end out before Trump would have to even bother breathing the same air as you.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'd ask him about his barely-functioning dick. The American people have a right to know if they're gonna be electing some kind of limp, wobbling jowlmonster. Just asking questions, here

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

computer parts posted:

You do know regular auto fatality numbers don't come from auto manufacturers right?

Why are you being so reflexively anti-automated cars that you don't stop for five seconds to make sure you're not posting very stupid things? It's a weird fetish, man.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Computer Parts still can nail the full fishmech. Keep trying bro, you'll get it!

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

BlueBlazer posted:

I do, looking back my drunk uncle was a water sport enthusiast.

It's good that you're coming to terms with things, but I don't think this forum is the place for that.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Eifert Posting posted:

There, for the grace of god, go I.

Next car will either be electric or another manual transmission. I want to be ecoconcious but stick is just so fun.

I'm the same way, but I'd be 100% fine with not owning any personal transportation and just having a fun weekend track car. You'll pry manual transmissions from my cold, dead hands, but that's only because point A to B driving is such a mind numbing activity that I need something to focus on that's not driving like a lunatic. If I could actually do something other than drive while in my car that wouldn't be a problem.

I'm pretty sure that's the end game here too, although I doubt it happens in my lifetime.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Eifert Posting posted:

The hate-boner for that company by so many in this thread is so bizarre. I don't know if its a product of Elon being an insufferable douche or the Left's susceptibility to "No True Scotsman," but no automotive company has done more to encourage the development of electric vehicles. Right now you have Porsche talking about how their 2020 release will be superior to current Teslas and every major manufacturer describes their electric vehicle as the answer to Tesla. They forced conventional auto makers to compete in the segment, which would be laudable even if their own product was poo poo.

And yet you have people in this thread gleefully talking about how the Solar City buyout will sink them.

Build a bridge and get over it.

The owner shits all over Boeing for battery issues before dealing with the same loving thing himself, subjects the rest of us to alpha testing of his "auto pilot" system by his stupid customers and pretends that putting his desk at the end of a manufacturing line is going to turn his boutique manufacturing company into the next loving Toyota.

Also, the development of the Porsche 918, Ferrari LaFerrari and McLaren P1 have nothing to do with Tesla and everything to do with EU car fleet standards.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Solkanar512 posted:

Build a bridge a get over it.

Ayn Rand was right.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

I'm the same way, but I'd be 100% fine with not owning any personal transportation and just having a fun weekend track car. You'll pry manual transmissions from my cold, dead hands, but that's only because point A to B driving is such a mind numbing activity that I need something to focus on that's not driving like a lunatic. If I could actually do something other than drive while in my car that wouldn't be a problem.

I'm pretty sure that's the end game here too, although I doubt it happens in my lifetime.

I feel like self-driving cars won't be a mature technology until you can buy aftermarket retrofits. You flip a switch and the HUD flashes "AUTO MODE" and vaporwave starts playing.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

woke wedding drone posted:

I think you're reading too much into it. He's probably just firing up the camera on his phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded

Eifert Posting posted:

Horses do produce emissions- horseshit and lots of it.
I saw some pictures of New York in the 1800's and the horseshit was curb-deep in the streets before they they invented sanitation.

At least cars don't crap everywhere.

• Locked thread