Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bort Bortles posted:

Which of the two Stewardship focuses do I need to be running to have a chance at the event that gives my county another holding slot?

Neither. That fires for the county you have set as your crown focus if it's at max prosperity, regardless of your personal focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Schizotek posted:

Nah, it was pretty much the remnant of the original Hephthalite sun worshipping religion they brought with them from Central Asia. It had some influences from Zoroastrianism, Buddhism, and Hinduism sure, but it seems to pretty solidly be in the right category. And if it were to move anywhere it'd go towards the Mazdan category because they're vaguely dualistic, and possibly monotheistic. Chinese explorers lumped them in with Hindus because, "hey these guys worship idols too! must be like all those other idol worshippers we passed by on the way here!". And then Europeans followed suit. You get the same problem with nonvedic religions on the subcontinent too.

Is there any actual information about the Zun religion? I've never found anything casually searching apart from Wikipedia

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 5, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Neither. That fires for the county you have set as your crown focus if it's at max prosperity, regardless of your personal focus.
Oh neat, I must have misread something earlier in the thread then, thanks!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Whorelord posted:

how can i remove syphilis from the game?

loving reaper's due but i swear like half the characters on the map are insane syphilis sufferers (and often eunuchs at that) which is annoying, not only because it's probably a new world disease and probably shouldn't be ravaging 9th century Persia

My best ragequit was when my lustful king started sleeping with his heir's wife. I just thought it was kind of funny. Later I noticed he had an illness, moused over the icon and saw "the great pox, also known as syphilis..."

Fun for the whole family!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

Oh neat, I must have misread something earlier in the thread then, thanks!
You may be thinking of the earlier event, which gives you a free castle somewhere in your demesne, which requires you to have the non-trading stewardship one tho

also, wtf, why isn't CKII acknowledging I updated to the new After the End? It still says .71 even though I've extracted the .8

irritiating

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Foo Diddley posted:

My best ragequit was when my lustful king started sleeping with his heir's wife. I just thought it was kind of funny. Later I noticed he had an illness, moused over the icon and saw "the great pox, also known as syphilis..."

Fun for the whole family!

my current king is an attractive, lustful hedonist master seducer zoroastrian.

he's literally banged half the important women of the kingdom, many of which are his cousins and half sisters. for him, it's not so matter a question of if as much as when

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
What the gently caress are you doing Europe! :stare:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Help. Rome was conquered by a Norse adventurer in my Ironman game and is now a tribal holding. The Pope got it back but now he rules from Tusculum.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

A Tartan Tory posted:

What the gently caress are you doing Europe! :stare:

Getting rolled because it's 967?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
My physician just cured my Measles...by removing my face. Days afterwards I gained the nickname of "the Frog". I think maybe I should have just kept the Measles.

Edit: And then later another physician cut out the same characters eye to...treat Slow Fever. It did not work.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 5, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
OK, turns out I was being a moron with what folder to have the mod in welp.

But I gotta ask, if Ofaloaf or Steelyglint or someone from AtE is here, why the hell they haven't fixed the bishop issues with the High Church and Ursuline religions. Why the hell does it not work as it should? Is it because they're gender neutral or what?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I usually have all the important kings and such around me marked as special characters but I have to, uhh...block the Khan of Khazaria because he is an insane motherfucker who seems to brutally execute someone, usually a child on a monthly basis and frankly I am getting sick and tired of hearing the screams of six-year olds getting broken on the wheel and impaled on a spike and whatnot

also I married a 16 year old shieldmaiden and promply got into a drunk fight with her

expansion continues to be quite something

EDIT: just in case you think I'm exaggerating:

he's just a horrible person who happens to be the greatest ruler of his era too. I guess he's wise in the "if I completely extinguish their bloodline there won't be any rival claimants left" way

EDIT 2: gently caress this baby better watch his back

really just stay away from wheels and objects that resemble wheels in general, nothing too round

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 5, 2016

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
After 15 years of raiding all the mosques in North Africa and swearing whenever my moral authority went down one point I've finally reformed West African Paganism.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Is there any actual information about the Zun religion? I've never found anything casually searching apart from Wikipedia

It's all pretty scattered. I'm an Iranian studies major, so I have access to some of the few things that mention them and my overlapping goonlove of CK2 made me specifically seek out what little there is. There's coins, the accounts of some Chinese explorers, and the early accounts of Islamic missionary-conquistadors. The coins are actually more useful than the other two. Numismatics continues to be equally one of the most boring, and most important form of archaeology.

And I think there's a few chunks of a temple in Afghanistan. Not sure if it's received proper attention, but alot of stuff out there that we know of has only received the most surface level study and not much else. I'm not sure even Balkh has gotten a good modern study, but the Zunbil temple will probably be in better shape when we can finally get a better look. No one knows/cares about it, so they probably won't haul it off to sell to rich fucks as a conversation piece.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

My drunkard Emperor just earned "the Great" and our Wicked Priest Pope just earned "the Holy". I feel like maybe it's too easy to earn these nicknames..

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Alikchi posted:

My drunkard Emperor just earned "the Great" and our Wicked Priest Pope just earned "the Holy". I feel like maybe it's too easy to earn these nicknames..

I don't remember it exactly but I think I had a wicked priest Patriarch get the nickname "the Spawn of Satan" recently.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

vyelkin posted:

I don't remember it exactly but I think I had a wicked priest Patriarch get the nickname "the Spawn of Satan" recently.

That guy who got his manhood restored by Satan? Yeah, his dick should get that nickname.

I love the emergent storytelling in this game more than everything, no other game comes even close to it imo.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Once I had two wicked priest popes in a row. They both were subjected to a cadaver synod...the second one before the first one. I guess everyone had such a blast propping the guy up that they dug up his predecessor too.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Schizotek posted:

Nah, it was pretty much the remnant of the original Hephthalite sun worshipping religion they brought with them from Central Asia. It had some influences from Zoroastrianism, Buddhism, and Hinduism sure, but it seems to pretty solidly be in the right category. And if it were to move anywhere it'd go towards the Mazdan category because they're vaguely dualistic, and possibly monotheistic. Chinese explorers lumped them in with Hindus because, "hey these guys worship idols too! must be like all those other idol worshippers we passed by on the way here!". And then Europeans followed suit. You get the same problem with nonvedic religions on the subcontinent too.

I read somewhere that it was Hindu sun-cult dedicated to an aspect of Surya but that just being outsiders generalizing and being racist against sun deities and thinking they all look the same makes sense.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Anyone have any suggestions for the next achievement hunt I should go on? Just finished the zunbil and zoroastrian one and looking for something decently hard but relatively Europe focused.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The Byzantine Empire somehow got several counties in Norway in my current game.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Hadaka Apron posted:

The Byzantine Empire somehow got several counties in Norway in my current game.

I have noticed that a lot as well, it must have something to do with varangian events/converting to orthodox or being friends with the current emperor.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I read somewhere that it was Hindu sun-cult dedicated to an aspect of Surya but that just being outsiders generalizing and being racist against sun deities and thinking they all look the same makes sense.

That's explicitly what the Chinese thought. And according to them Vedic travelers treated their temples as such, which is probably true. But this is going off a few paragraphs in a larger work from a Chinese traveler from more than a millennia ago, so :shrug:
That being said there's also some pretty major Hindu influences:

توح البلدان Futuh Al-Buldan posted:

In the year 650 Abdullah bin Amer came to Kerman. He sent Zabi bin Ziyad Haresi to Seistan who came to the Helmand valley and made peace with Pervez, the governor of Zaranj. Zabi ruled for two and half years and after him Abdul Rahman bin Samara became governor of Zaranj. He also empowered the environs of Rakhj and the Dawar lands and fortified the people of Dawar in Jabel Zoor (Zoon) and made peace with them. In these battles Ibn Samara lost half his men of an army of 8,000 fighters. He managed to take over the Zoor idol, which was adorned with gold and had eyes made of rubies. He broke the hands of the idol and plucked out the rubies and returned them to the keeper of the temple and told him: "My intention was to show an idol cannot help or harm anyone."
A golden idol of your god isn't all that common in Zoroastrianism or central asian sky religions. So even if by descent it's not a variety of Hinduism, elements of the way Hindus worshipped their own gods definitely had an effect on the way it was practiced by the time the Arabs bulldozed their little kingdom over.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Looks like one thing was missed with the immortal trait - loss of 'berserker' above age 50. C'mon, I'm still hale and hearty here!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe it gets boring after a while. :v:

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

A Tartan Tory posted:

I have noticed that a lot as well, it must have something to do with varangian events/converting to orthodox or being friends with the current emperor.

Yeah, it's pretty easy. Convert Varangian to Orthodox, grant Varangian land since they're your friend, press their claim of have them inherit land in Scandinavia, boom.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

TorakFade posted:

That guy who got his manhood restored by Satan? Yeah, his dick should get that nickname.

Crusader Kings II: Satan, the first Natural Male Enhancement

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alikchi posted:

A lot of them come from specific events, especially related to Way of Life focuses. Also Emperors tend to end up with "The Great" a lot since I think it can be given to people with lots of prestige, and just being an emperor means you'll have a shitload of prestige no matter what you do.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
My Fylkiriate of the British Isles, under the Immortal Fylkja, survived the Black Death because the plague didn't ever spread to our borders (or any of the other Germanic realms on the Isles).

I feel... cheated?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sky Shadowing posted:

My Fylkiriate of the British Isles, under the Immortal Fylkja, survived the Black Death because the plague didn't ever spread to our borders (or any of the other Germanic realms on the Isles).

I feel... cheated?

Yeah the same thing happened to me with my first game in Reaper's Due - I was in India and the plague just totally bypassed the entire subcontinent.

I've noticed that what can happen is if another disease is present at a choke point, it can sometimes block the plague from spreading into certain areas, because the extra disease resistance from a disease already being present is just enough to hold the plague off.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I've been playing 769 Tabriz, and... So far it's actually not so bad? You start off as bigger than most other people in the Abbasid empire, so just target the nearby small ones one at a time (I took Esfahan early because I want it to be my eventual capital and sink points into it from early on, though due to weirdness I got beat to upgrading its trading post, which is disappointing) and slowly expand through forged claims and de jure claims and such. The tech requirement combined with the AI's love for moving its capital around keeps your liege from getting to Religious Revocation for a while, so you just need to make sure you always have more troops than your targets.

Breaking free will probably be an issue eventually, but prior to that this actually seems pretty safe to me. Is there something I'm missing? So far this is a lot easier than my recent 867 Karen attempts, which have felt a lot harder than they used to be for some reason and have had trouble getting off the ground, and have featured fun moments such as me attacking an army two-thirds my size, in non-defensive terrain, when they already had morale damage from a different fight, and losing horribly, twice in the same game, which completely reversed all the progress I made that war.

Edit: Oh, also, is it advisable to try to personally hold as much of the Silk Road as possible, or to still focus on holding multiple castles in my capital plus one or more holdings in the other counties in my capital duchy? I don't know how big a deal the Silk Road is in this game, and given what being Zoroastrian is like it seems like maximum troops is still a big deal.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 6, 2016

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the same thing happened to me with my first game in Reaper's Due - I was in India and the plague just totally bypassed the entire subcontinent.

I've noticed that what can happen is if another disease is present at a choke point, it can sometimes block the plague from spreading into certain areas, because the extra disease resistance from a disease already being present is just enough to hold the plague off.

I didn't really have many hospitals upgraded, I just wasn't sure why it failed to cross. My only explanation is that maybe this is the first known case of The Empress Protects.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Is there a current list of every county/duchy you need to restore the old roman borders? I've seen several different maps on the net so I assume its changed patch to patch or people weren't sure if they needed all the counties they had

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Goofballs posted:

Is there a current list of every county/duchy you need to restore the old roman borders? I've seen several different maps on the net so I assume its changed patch to patch or people weren't sure if they needed all the counties they had

It's a bit long these days because yeah they've messed around with it a bunch over the patches. It's event LoR.40 in events/roman_events.txt. It includes these full regions:

code:
		completely_controls_region = world_middle_east_jerusalem
		completely_controls_region = world_europe_south
		completely_controls_region = world_europe_west_iberia
		completely_controls_region = world_africa_north
I can't see where they're defined in the files, but they're easily checked in game -- click the region button when you have a county in that general area selected (next to where the change capital button is/would be if it was your province). Then there's a whole heap of individual duchies specified.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Ugh, I looked up at that file. I'm almost there but annoyingly I don't have the roman cassus belli to attack Hungary to take the duchy of slavonia so I'll have to fabricate for that. I do have it for all kinds of places that aren't on the list.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Allyn posted:

I can't see where they're defined in the files, but they're easily checked in game -- click the region button when you have a county in that general area selected (next to where the change capital button is/would be if it was your province). Then there's a whole heap of individual duchies specified.

For the record, regions are defined in the files in map/geographical_regions.txt.

Also, um, wow, the new Black Death is not messing around, is it? Came down the Silk Road like a bat out of hell, overran my entire empire, killed all my siblings, tanked levies and income to basically zero for half a decade so far (and meanwhile some two-bit Indian Raj from his mysteriously plague-free subcontinent thinks he can have a go at me for a border duchy in this weakened state - have fun sieging 100-supply-limit plague-ridden provinces in the back end of Baluchistan while the Immortals burn your house down, fucko.)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know if there's a mod that adds a way for religions with no heads to call Crusades. I just think its lame that no religious head usually translates to no fun, especially for the Catholic heresies like Lollard that can't do anything. At least regular Catholics have the possibility of the Pope giving them goodies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BenRGamer posted:

Crusader Kings II: Satan, the first Natural Male Enhancement

Surely Satan is supernatural? So it would be Crusader Kings II: Supernatural Male Enhancement.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DarkCrawler posted:

I usually have all the important kings and such around me marked as special characters but I have to, uhh...block the Khan of Khazaria because he is an insane motherfucker who seems to brutally execute someone, usually a child on a monthly basis and frankly I am getting sick and tired of hearing the screams of six-year olds getting broken on the wheel and impaled on a spike and whatnot

also I married a 16 year old shieldmaiden and promply got into a drunk fight with her

expansion continues to be quite something

EDIT: just in case you think I'm exaggerating:

he's just a horrible person who happens to be the greatest ruler of his era too. I guess he's wise in the "if I completely extinguish their bloodline there won't be any rival claimants left" way

EDIT 2: gently caress this baby better watch his back

really just stay away from wheels and objects that resemble wheels in general, nothing too round

"I'm just you know, really into stakes and stake-based executions at the moment. I've been experimenting a lot with them lately. Wheels are great but I really want to get back to sharp things you know, and also fire, and stakes are so versatile!"

"That's so cool. Jesus Christ please don't murder me."

EDIT:

"OK, let's go hunting."

"Oh god"

(totally lied about blocking this guy he's just great)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
In a recent game as Halfdan Whiteshirt, I gained, lost, gained again, and finally lost again the Berserker trait within probably 30 years.

• Locked thread