Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Its ACTUALLY occurring on 9-11 and we will never forget when G2, SKT, and EDG are drawn into the group of death, aka TSM's house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I had family stuff today and missed all the games live but just got home and watched the highlights, I'm not surprised by either outcome. The EU games were really fun to watch on highlights but they must have been excruciating to watch live, the one game has a 13 minute long highlight reel which is probably the longest I've ever seen. I knew I was in for a real doozy. Splyce were the better team in that one, and I think Exileh might have been the best player in the series but target banning him is basically how you beat the Unicorns (someone else in the thread pointed it out).

Immortals make me sad again, but I expect it at this point, there's no way I would have put money on them to beat Cloud 9 today after Cloud 9 had already broken them off once only just recently. Cloud 9 was definitely the better team that deserved to go to worlds, not even close. I just wish Immortals 5-game series win over CLG mattered for anything, because I would have much rather seen them as the NA 3 seed and Cloud 9 as the NA 2 seed and not seen CLG at worlds at all.

Lovechop posted:

gonna be some good poo poo

Now that all the seeds are filled out, I still have my spreadsheet of the original group simulation I ran, and then I ran two more. So here's some fun ways the group draws could play out:

I don't think there's going to be a bad group at this worlds, period. It's going to be a lot of really good games.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Jayisspecial posted:

I don't play League anymore and don't get a lot of the nuance in duels. Why was Impact able to effortlessly get kills in nearly every game over his opponents? Even Hauntzer and Huni looked like chumps compared to Impact.

Fantastically good at positioning, knowing his limits, and understanding where his enemy is going to want to go/be in the next minute. Riot made some aggressive changes to the overall metagame that basically mandate the 112J matchups with the jungler paying attention to the bot/mid area more, so Impact has a lot of time alone with his opponents and can actually go in on those situations where he's going to effortlessly murder them rather than having to hold back because the jungler might be in the tribush.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I would just like to say 'suck it' to everyone who kept claiming Rush+Balls was better than Meteos+Impact. I called that poo poo.

Also it's cool to see Meteos playing Zac again.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
If only we could have Rush+Impact.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Impacts great but meteos personally tilted off the planet in game 2 onwards against tsm so i mean... idk.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Meteos is probably the most tilt prone on the team but still has moments where he plays great. Balls had just been mediocre at best for years.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Zerilan posted:

Meteos is probably the most tilt prone on the team but still has moments where he plays great. Balls had just been mediocre at best for years.

is there a person alive who thought balls was carrying the team? I thought the joke was everyone knew balls was mediocre at best but that c9 was a team that could pull it off anyways via hai magic. Wasn't he like diamond 2 on his main account during last split or something I've literally never heard a person commend his 1v1 skill.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
There was a time when Locodoco called him one of the best top laners on the planet.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
locodoco is retarded

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

ArbitraryC posted:

is there a person alive who thought balls was carrying the team? I thought the joke was everyone knew balls was mediocre at best but that c9 was a team that could pull it off anyways via hai magic. Wasn't he like diamond 2 on his main account during last split or something I've literally never heard a person commend his 1v1 skill.

In Season 3 his Rumble was pretty goddamn slick.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Wol posted:

In Season 3 his Rumble was pretty goddamn slick.

okay grandpa

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking forward to C9 pulling their usual trick of building high expectations with some impressive wins and then loving up so hard you can see the tears on lemon's notebook from space.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I'm looking forward to C9 pulling their usual trick of building high expectations with some impressive wins and then loving up so hard you can see the tears on lemon's notebook from space.

It's not that they hosed up, it's that they had no depth to their champion pool except on Sneaky and Jensen so they put all their effort into practicing the one comp they could play well. Once the other teams adapted to that comp they were finished. The current C9 doesn't have the problem except maybe on Meteos?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
*grandma

But anyway, back when C9 came in on the scene, Balls got a lot of credit and rightly so. He was never a particularly mechanical guy, maybe, but back in the day he seemed like he understood his matchups super well and knew what to do in every situation. You'd always count on him to come in clutch in the constant mid-game dragon fights, too, whether on Rumble or not. It's really only been 2015 that the wheels started to come off the bus.

Halfway through writing this, I went and looked up S4 Worlds to recall how C9 did there. I wonder if the thorough, three games in a row shellacking he got from Acorn left him a broken man.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

rabidsquids keys to the game, winning with a taliyah comp edition

1. you've got to have some winning side lanes, not only are you going to be denying vision easier for your jungler by having mid shoved out and the ability to roam, but the threat of being able to two man gank top or bot any time that taliyah is out of mid changes the entire tempo of the game and changes where the enemy team can safely be or even safely ward and roam

2. you gotta have some kind of CC that you can chain. jhin ult is fantastic, trundle pillar is incredibly strong, the kennen-taliyah-skarner trio was actually really clever. you gotta get them picks because these taliyah comps mostly dont scale, this is where EU and NA seem to be failing they see her as some sort of ziggs style wave clear in scaling comps and no. just dont do that. why would you even. your mid laner doesn't even need to be good at hitting the W if the person they're aiming it at got Ashe arrowed

3. you aren't a split push comp, taliyah ult isnt really a global in the same way that she can match a truly global champ and or a champ that typically runs teleport. you've got to have jungle control and deny resources, make the enemy team make poor decisions and push your advantages. if you are a team that can't get poo poo off of kills or trading objectives you can't do the thing, sorry. learn to be more decisive i guess.

Watched your links, thanks!

Sounds like Taliyah does similar things as CLG tries to do with Aurelion Sol? Maybe thats why Taliyah gets banned away from Huhi, even though he's pretty bad with her, if it fits CLGs overall gameplan pretty well?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

people were still praising balls up through season 5 spring, its revisionist history to say "well he was pretty good in season 3, but"

edit: i am not saying this dude was always trash or whatever, but he was a good fit on the best team in the region for 2+ years and got praised like he was a world class top laner bc a lot of stats and performance in league are difficult to get context on, much in the same way that someone can be very unappreciated on a bad team.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 6, 2016

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Personally I feel like the fantasy of original C9 having strong individual players was dashed against the rocks as soon as they played an international game and everyone realized they were coasting through NA on macro and teamfight cohesion. Since then they've picked up some good players and sneaky has improved a lot but I don't remember thinking of balls as really good any time after he got slapped around by fnatic or whoever embarrassed C9 at their first worlds.

E: As a top laner who is a huge bully in lane and doesn't get a lot of jungle attention, impact is my hero, though. Him and Yang are two of the players I'm most looking forward to seeing at worlds even though both are unlikely to leave groups and probably have a zero percent chance at the finals.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 6, 2016

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
What with c9 only ever having fielded toplaners who live up to their name, one could only reasonably expect imaqtpie making his professional comeback as Impact's successor

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

rabidsquid posted:

people were still praising balls up through season 5 spring, its revisionist history to say "well he was pretty good in season 3, but"

edit: i am not saying this dude was always trash or whatever, but he was a good fit on the best team in the region for 2+ years and got praised like he was a world class top laner bc a lot of stats and performance in league are difficult to get context on, much in the same way that someone can be very unappreciated on a bad team.

He was pretty good in Season 3. The list of toplaners who would have been better than him at the time is pretty small. That makes him a good toplaner for the time. You wanna say Season 3 Balls wouldn't be good in Season 6 now? of course. You know god drat well I'm not arguing that. It just bugs me when people make out like Balls has always been pathetic and a drag on C9. He used to be a legit part of the team and someone who would get himself fed in a lot of games. Revisionist history my rear end.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Wol posted:

He was pretty good in Season 3. The list of toplaners who would have been better than him at the time is pretty small. That makes him a good toplaner for the time. You wanna say Season 3 Balls wouldn't be good in Season 6 now? of course. You know god drat well I'm not arguing that. It just bugs me when people make out like Balls has always been pathetic and a drag on C9. He used to be a legit part of the team and someone who would get himself fed in a lot of games. Revisionist history my rear end.

yeah, balls sucks now but in his time he was a beast. i don't know why people who follow this game have memories like a sieve and say that players like balls, dyrus, yellowstar, froggen, alex ich and so on were never good just because they're not doing much at the moment.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think that a lot of people who watch now missed when alex ich was really good and only ever saw him on bottom tier na teams, but it's really hard for me to believe people think froggen was never good. altho i guess those "super teams" really fell flat on their face, he still produced.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

i think that a lot of people who watch now missed when alex ich was really good and only ever saw him on bottom tier na teams, but it's really hard for me to believe people think froggen was never good. altho i guess those "super teams" really fell flat on their face, he still produced.

Alex Ich really should have retired like two or three years ago, getting shunted between bad teams while the scene grew past him wasn't worth the ridiculous disruption to his family life he suffered. His Kha was insane though.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Typical Pubbie posted:

There was a time when Locodoco called him one of the best top laners on the planet.

Loco is a grown man with a lisp sooooo

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

I don't think there's going to be a bad group at this worlds, period. It's going to be a lot of really good games.

I'm personally a little bit bummed that KT isn't going but, beyond that, I agree; this is an awesome worlds roster. TSM/C9 actually look super competent, EDG is going to be incredible, all 3 korean teams will be good, and LMS will probably have some excellent teams as well. I can't wait.

e: Balls was basically always a Rumble one-trick who benefited from being on the best macro team in the region

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 6, 2016

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Not gonna lie, Meteos tilts as hard as Huni does, and if C9 get poo poo on at worlds this year it's probably going to be on him. But having a reliable toplaner has really fixed a lot of C9's old problems, and the ones they have now are easier to handle.

Rumble really was Balls' only great champion but he went undefeated on it for a couple years professionally and it's not hard to find early C9 games where he hard carried them from top lane. C9 got an extra ban out of other teams for a long time because of the fear of Balls' Rumble. The dude just never got used to the teleport meta and got worse and worse over time until he became an active liability.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
lol I can't believe Splyce tried to run Azir over the weekend.

e: oh drat it went pretty well, actually

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 6, 2016

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Balls was good in s3. He use to carry on Rumble/Elise. He manage to stay good for most of s4 where he was really freakin good on Renekton/Shyvana. When Balls would pick Renekton top u had to pretty much laneswap or he would completely stomp his lane. This had to do with Renekton being pretty strong but Balls very good on it too. His demise began at S4 worlds where Renekton/Shyvana/Mundo all had been heavily nerfed. His champion pool at this point was basically only Rumble. He never recovered properly. He didn't become good on the ap tops of late s4-early s5 like Lissandra/Kass. His Maokai/Allistar weren't good either. Most of s5 he just went back on playing super safe tanks like Maokai/Naut/Sion because his Gnar was god awful. So since S5 he has been pretty garbage compared to his old self.

Meteos is also really weak imo compared to his old self. He can't even land a reksai knockup properly. I've seen him miss it so many times during these last few weeks.

Impact+Rush would be the perfect duo for C9 but Rush is also very tilty player but he has more upside than Meteos.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Alex Ich really should have retired like two or three years ago, getting shunted between bad teams while the scene grew past him wasn't worth the ridiculous disruption to his family life he suffered. His Kha was insane though.

League of Legends brought Alex Ich to America, out of Russia where he was clearly miserable. I'll always be glad for that. :unsmith:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Kelsey Moser's video about Spirit is pretty good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwV_YebCjY

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the only comment on the video is blaming him for S6 fnatics problems

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A friend of mine made a compilation of Huni's Ekko carrying C9 vs IMT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TOszL8K-jU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I think some of those are unfair to count because they were being used to scout bushes but I wonder what Huni's stun rate is vs other top laners on ekko

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure it's reasonable to include parallel convergences that were obviously meant to zone the other team

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I wonder how many stuns Impact got on his Ekko game that series.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
also unless huni like asked for ekko knowing how the draft would go game 2, i don't even know how much of that game is on him. That lineup they picked was just disastrous

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Zoness posted:

I'm not sure it's reasonable to include parallel convergences that were obviously meant to zone the other team

While you may be the authority on zones, this video is up to like 30 'zoning' convergences and im shuting it off

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Luna Was Here posted:

I think some of those are unfair to count because they were being used to scout bushes but I wonder what Huni's stun rate is vs other top laners on ekko

Zoness posted:

I mean sure not every miss was a bad play but it's just a montage of all of them, not all the failed ones.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E0SdlAPrsE

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Pobelter could have played better but I really can't blame he or Adrian for that loss

• Locked thread