Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm a loving internet weirdo in that I've played all three Witcher games and watched the (fairly bad) Polish television series, but haven't read the books. What's a good recommended reading order for the books?

I've posted here a lot, but I cannot comprehend that you value "role-playing" in RPGs and Witcher 3 isn't among your all-time favorites, holy gently caress

also, I really need to restart the series sometime, Witcher 1 hasn't aged that well and I haven't played it in many years but I'm hankering after W3

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Skipping all the stuff about being on a different planet, plague was endemic to early modern European cities. The outbreaks weren't quite as bad after the 14th century but they went right up to the invention of antibiotics. You can still get plague in fact and it's still bad news if it's not treated in time.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Always be using Yrden. Especially its alternate which shoots arrows out of the sky.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The books are a pretty light read. They're surprisingly funny and the short stories blow by pretty fast. A lot of them are obvious twists on famous fairy tales that only become obvious after you've gotten through it. I think the very first story is Beauty and the Beast and well, if you've played the games you can probably guess a few of the plot points. There's a beast, a beauty, and Geralt is the woodsman/Gaston character. Peasants are disappearing near the castle. Beast is a decent guy. Belle is a bruxa.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 6, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm getting the hang of this, but I'm curious if the leveling is supposed to be this slow. I have visited every question mark on the first map you get access to, blown up every monster nest and completed every quest I could find except for the Temerian Jewels which bugged out and won't complete. I now get quests that recommend level 3 and have killed monsters that were +5 or +6 to my level, but I'm still level 2.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Huh, you know I never noticed this before but Ciri by the end of Witcher 3 has fulfilled the prophecy of Ithlinne.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arglebargle III posted:

The books are a pretty light read. They're surprisingly funny and the short stories blow by pretty fast. A lot of them are obvious twists on famous fairy tales that only become obvious after you've gotten through it. I think the very first story is Beauty and the Beast and well, if you've played the games you can probably guess a few of the plot points. There's a beast, a beauty, and Geralt is the woodsman/Gaston character. Peasants are disappearing near the castle. Beast is a decent guy. Belle is a bruxa.

Vereena :(. That history is also a punch to the gut.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lotish posted:

I'm getting the hang of this, but I'm curious if the leveling is supposed to be this slow. I have visited every question mark on the first map you get access to, blown up every monster nest and completed every quest I could find except for the Temerian Jewels which bugged out and won't complete. I now get quests that recommend level 3 and have killed monsters that were +5 or +6 to my level, but I'm still level 2.

If you want or need to level up, follow the main quest threads

there is more than enough XP for you to hit the cap, do side quests whenever you want and when you need to advance do main quest stuff

honestly the XP/level/ability progression is the absolute worst part of the game and seems superficial

don't skip dialogue, play it as an extended role-playing session with interspersed combat, the dialogue, characters, and world-building are the heart of the game

edit: most quests give poo poo in the way of XP or valuable ~lootz~

do quests because they seem interesting and fun to you, the "tangible" rewards are almost always poo poo. this is the RP'est RPG game

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 6, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
BOATS GUARD BOATS

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
turdydumps

quote this if you're down~

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also do side-quests that don't seem interesting, because there's a pretty good chance it actually is.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lotish posted:

It takes awhile to level because the game ends around level 30-35, and it can take 100 hours to get there, so it's not going to go fast

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Pellisworth posted:

I'm a loving internet weirdo in that I've played all three Witcher games and watched the (fairly bad) Polish television series, but haven't read the books. What's a good recommended reading order for the books?
Read them in the order they came out. You have 2 books with short stories and then a 5 book saga.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So since ciri can travel through worlds and even mentioned a world she visited that had advanced technology, what are the odds she'll have a cameo in this new cyberpunk game??

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Orv posted:

If you can tell me more about what sort of groups you've having trouble with I can write a whole lot of dumb words about this video games combat.

All of them. I die pretty much every fight. The only time I didn't die as much is when playing as Ciri who's a lot tougher.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

Well there's your problem, getting surrounded is very bad in witcher 3, attacks to your back deal a ton of extra damage and if any stuns go through you'll die even to low-level groups. Always try to control your position to have all enemies on one side from you - not only it means no more backstabs, but also makes them a great group target for aard or igni signs, or bombs.

That's easier said than done, I tend to get stuck against a wall or get surrounded when I put one or two hits in. Parrying seems to be inconsistent, sometimes it doesn't trigger at all. Sometimes I can't even draw a weapon, the button doesn't do anything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Fun fact: they did in fact change the face of Geralt in The Wither 2 because fans complained he was too handsome*. There are even screenshots of his original head sculpts still around the net, like this one

Few pages back, but Steam just advertised Witcher 2 at me and I realised that the Steam game banner art is totally still based on the old prettyboy Geralt from this post.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The developer guy is right. It's gotta be Geralt's face attracting all these women because it sure isn't his personality. Game Geralt has more conviction and more tact than short story Geralt.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arglebargle III posted:

The developer guy is right. It's gotta be Geralt's face attracting all these women because it sure isn't his personality. Game Geralt has more conviction and more tact than short story Geralt.

He's also a dude chicks can bang without getting themselves pregnant or diseased and that's kind of a plus in this lovely shithole world.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Pellisworth posted:

I've posted here a lot, but I cannot comprehend that you value "role-playing" in RPGs and Witcher 3 isn't among your all-time favorites, holy gently caress

also, I really need to restart the series sometime, Witcher 1 hasn't aged that well and I haven't played it in many years but I'm hankering after W3

Short story books you should start with first:
The Last Wish
Sword of Destiny

Main saga:
Blood of Elves
Times of Contempt
Baptism of FIre
The Tower of the Swallow
The Lady of the Lake - not out yet in english till next year (may i think?) but you can find a decent fan translation in epub form at reddit

There is Season of Storms, also not english translated yet and it's a full book prequel that takes place before "The Witcher" story in the Last Wish, you can also get this in epub fan translated form from reddit but eh i didn't like it and i couldn't tell if it was the story or a lovely translation. There's also another short story about Geralt's parents that i can't remember the name of but i don't think anyone has a english version of that. i found it on a wiki and used google translate :smuggo:
Speaking of translation, The Last Wish and Blood of Elves were out in english first and were translated by someone else and there are a few names and poo poo that change between books, nothing major. stuff like wyzima being vizima and jaruga and yaruga.

Oh and if you're gonna get the books in english make sure you get the UK releases because the covers are much much nicer. the USA releases use witcher 2 concept art and look tacky as gently caress.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 6, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Don't read fan translations. Especially for books known for their very specific writing style (like the Witcher).

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lady of the lake is fan translated surprisingly well.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

fridge corn posted:

So since ciri can travel through worlds and even mentioned a world she visited that had advanced technology, what are the odds she'll have a cameo in this new cyberpunk game??

Does CDPR have any rights to the IP? Tough to say.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

He's also a dude chicks can bang without getting themselves pregnant or diseased and that's kind of a plus in this lovely shithole world.

This is probably the thing I dislike the most about the whole witcher aesthetic

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

fridge corn posted:

This is probably the thing I dislike the most about the whole witcher aesthetic

I always thought it fit with the themes of the books. It is another way to other the Witchers from normal people.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

jim truds posted:

I always thought it fit with the themes of the books. It is another way to other the Witchers from normal people.

It fit with the books in that it's transparently pandering fantasy schlock. Fortunately only the first game really delves into it at all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How good is the official english translation of the books? I wanted to read the english translation of the metro novels after playing the games but I read that it is very bad.

Witcher and metro 2033 actually make for a pretty interesting comparison. Both have excellent games based on novels, but the metro games were closely involved with the author (to the point where I think he actually wrote them) whereas the author of witcher was extremely hands-off with the games.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Palpek posted:

Don't read fan translations. Especially for books known for their very specific writing style (like the Witcher).
It's not like the official translations are that brilliant. Hell, last I time I talked about disliking the Ciri saga, you made that exact point, for some reason.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

It fit with the books in that it's transparently pandering fantasy schlock. Fortunately only the first game really delves into it at all.

I dont think its ever even mentioned in the books other than he is just immune in general. Seems to be a fan fictiony forced grit kind of thing in the games.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 6, 2016

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Digirat posted:

How good is the official english translation of the books? I wanted to read the english translation of the metro novels after playing the games but I read that it is very bad.

Witcher and metro 2033 actually make for a pretty interesting comparison. Both have excellent games based on novels, but the metro games were closely involved with the author (to the point where I think he actually wrote them) whereas the author of witcher was extremely hands-off with the games.

Witcher books are fine.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Xander77 posted:

It's not like the official translations are that brilliant. Hell, last I time I talked about disliking the Ciri saga, you made that exact point, for some reason.
Well yeah but I imagine fan translations still being infinitely worse. Every time somebody endorsed a fan translation and I tried reading it - it turned out that it's really bad and people just have a way higher threshold for awful writing than me.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

pisshead posted:

All of them. I die pretty much every fight. The only time I didn't die as much is when playing as Ciri who's a lot tougher.
Hmm ok, if you have gotten to the point you can play as ciri you should have access to some decent stuff.

What swords and armor are you using? Make sure you are getting new ones fairly often. You might be of level to start finding witcher gear, do that immediately.

What signs are you using? Quen lets you take one hit for no damage, and the alt version gives you a bubble shield that heals you. igni works against most enemies, and sets humans and drowners and many others on fire which keeps them out of the fight for a few seconds. The alt version is a flamethrower and can be used to break shields. Yrden helps a ton with ghosts, and the alt version zaps incoming arrows and normal enemies as well. axii can be used on shield guys or other problem dudes to keep them out of combat for a while.

Are you using potions and food during combat? Swallow and food, plus quen, should give you enough healing for nearly any fight. Thunderbolt straight up improves your damage, and others give you pretty big advantages as well.

Are you using bombs? For those annoying af archers, toss a samum flash bomb into the main group, and then charge the archers and kill them to get rid of that problem. Grapeshot is straight up area damage.

How are you dodging? There are 2 types of dodge, the quick sidestep and the full combat roll. The sidestep should be your go-to for 90% of fights, as it avoids most incoming attacks and keeps you close enough to attack yourself. The roll is not the default like in dark souls, it is there for boss level monsters with big attacks, and to escape from a bad situation and get breathing room.

What skills are you using in general? One mistake new players make is relaying on those gold colored skills too much at the cost of combat, signs, and alchemy, because they are straight up bonuses that seems really useful. Dump points into the combat tree early, since that what you will do the most of as a new player, but be sure to get the improved quen. Later start investing in alchemy so you can take a bunch of potions at once.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lotish posted:

Are you playing on the highest difficulty? The starting zone should get you to around level 4, level 3 if you only did the main quests. Do you still have main quest stuff to do? That's where the lions share of the XP is throughout the game.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
It's a boring answer, but what helped me with combat was just watching some youtubes of people playing the game (esp. combat-based tip videos) and seeing what they did.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Oxxidation posted:

Uhhhh Geralt (and Yennefer) being sterile is kind of a major motivating factor in regards to their adoption of Ciri. Just cause they bang people on the side doesn't mean it's pandering.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
It bears repeating that Witcher 2 and 3 (especially 3) have better writing than the books they're based on. Sapkowski's prose aged pretty terribly.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Been playing BaW.

So....Hanse bases. :stonk:

So...Hanses bases with the arrow deflect enchant, Whirl, Dancing Star, Dragon's Dream, and Freezing Aard. :stonklol:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Kaedric posted:

Uhhhh Geralt (and Yennefer) being sterile is kind of a major motivating factor in regards to their adoption of Ciri. Just cause they bang people on the side doesn't mean it's pandering.

Lol

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Eh, I guess I just don't see why it matters. The pandering would be all the gratuitous sex scenes themselves and not the fact that Geralt is sterile, is what I'm getting at. Look at any other generic fantasy where the hunky main character sleeps around. They don't bother to address 'oh god she might get pregnant' because no one gives a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Kaedric posted:

Eh, I guess I just don't see why it matters. The pandering would be all the gratuitous sex scenes themselves and not the fact that Geralt is sterile, is what I'm getting at. Look at any other generic fantasy where the hunky main character sleeps around. They don't bother to address 'oh god she might get pregnant' because no one gives a poo poo.

Right and nobody gives a poo poo in this generic fantasy either. Its an embarrasingly weak attempt to disguise pandering for depth to the point where it's backfired and comes off as creepy and weird