Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I thought that was the Red Talon's master plan, not a sign of the end times.

I'm pretty sure every volcano going off together is a sign of the end times whether someone meant it that way or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Imagine actually playing with these pillars of the metaplot.

I look forward to reading about the exploits of Guy in Business Suit and Generic Suicide Girl.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I imagine plotlines will be heavily scripted to get the desired outcomes in the same way other publishers do these things. The larp organizations are incredibly petty too and dominated by more politicking and infighting than the actual games they were playing. You also get people leaving or starting their own groups over things like people not wanting them to regularly bring their young kids to a game that goes from 8 until 1-2 in the morning, people objecting to them not only smoking at game but doing such while pregnant, and allowing registered sex offenders to play in the game. It's like the RPGA but worse because it's larping.

I remember Camarilla Werewolf being ridiculous in game because there were so many elders that the only thing they could throw at big games were nexus crawlers or corrupted dreamweavers since they could alter the state of reality. Vampire never had that problem because generation in Laws of the Night is more broken than it is in tabletop, all they do is sit around the elysium, and the same, high ranking people always determined the plot. It was like a sweaty, Illuminati-esque conspiracy of people in frock coats and way too tight corsets. The other lines didn't really matter because Mage didn't overlap for obvious reasons and Changeling never mattered. Wraith, Mummy, and Hunter never got chronicles for obvious reasons though Hunter would have been cool.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The MES, formerly the Cam, just voted to do WoD In Space next five-year cycle, beating out Hunter: the Vigil and WoD in Fallout.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
What kind of goddamn pinko commie would vote for WoD in Space over Malkavian Max: Fanger Road?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm trying to think of some of the weird poo poo that I've repeatedly been told is canonical by MES people but all I've got is that Princes should be neonates or ancilla because elders should have better things to do or should be unwilling to beer publicly in charge for fear of being a target.

OTOH the Camarilla in MES games seems to be way more like a state and less like the thin mask over a raw power structure that it is in the books, so I'm generally unhappy anyway. I have this theory that it comes from players to whom concepts like democracy and governments existing for the benefit of the governed are just super deeply ingrained, but that's just insane speculation on my part.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
You know, as much as the LARP etc steering plot seems a terrible idea, I might actually do a version of ScreamPrince McComputerface. Reclusive Nosferatu, Tremere or Malk who's meticulously studying demographics via the magic that is smartphones or some poo poo. Easiest way to make The Project canon, eh?

Or for the sake of it, establish a one-man LARP in my region and reuse my viking recreationist gear. Make the official prince of the region not ScreamPrnce McComputerface, but an angry viking who's somehow found himself stuck in the land downunder after years of torpor.

If we wouldn't have to put up with the rest of the LARP scene bullshit, the viking recreationists here would probably be all over playing a warband of viking vampires (unsurprisingly, tabletop RPG fans and viking recreationists have a very large overlap, and in some regions we even manage to keep the neonazis out!) but unfortunately we're used to resolving our arguments by putting on chain mail and hitting each other with real swords and axes, not with rock paper scissors, so dealing with some greasy nerd they can't hit in the balls with a piece of timber is a dealbreaker for them.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 6, 2016

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Can't wait to be a Baali pretending to be a Toreador/Setite/Malkavian. Herd of metalheads, van full of gear, and a Twitter account full of our next gigs.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Ensure you have a ghouled Great Dane with an appropriate infernal investment so it can talk. Become the World of Scooby Darkness.

Still working my way through Apocalypse, but it's living up to its name. A 90% global reduction in food stocks is going to leave us with only enough food to provide for a billion people, which can be stretched out some with rationing to avoid death to maybe 2 billion. That's without the nightmare of collapsing logistics or the worldwide volcanic eruption problem. There's no way any scenario is going to be sub tier 3.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
All this about the metaplot and transmedia bits just sounds like ridiculous idea guy ain't gonna fly cow pie to me. Making Gehenna an in-game event seems particularly silly, given either it A) ends the world as we know it or B) is a wet firecracker sort of apocalypse.

Also, I have to wonder what you'd eat for the off-brand disciplines. Obtenebration? Chimerstry? Temporis? "Oh, yeah, I had to feed on clockmakers all throughout the 1700s to learn it, hard to find them these days."

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Obviously chimerstry is carnies, obtenebration is lighting directors for stage and film production, and temporis is temporal physicists.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Yes my herd is made up entirely of bod-mod fetishizing crazed handsome survivalists hopped up on meth. I'm a Malkavian with Vicissitude, Dementate, Presence, Potence, and Celerity. You're going to have an extremely fun night.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I have this theory that it comes from players to whom concepts like democracy and governments existing for the benefit of the governed are just super deeply ingrained, but that's just insane speculation on my part.

Same. My Midwestern-LARP experience is that undergrads are still the primary recruitment target for games. The combo of the free time of the students and the easy space access on campuses are both resources that are tough to give up for a game.

But yeah, I feel like everyone pretty much walks in with a 'down with Tyranny - Up with the People' concept of undead government. Really stunts the idea of playing monsters when everyone's first instinct is to play an Anarch or the Carthians, and honestly believe as players, 'No really - we ARE the good guys!'

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Iiiii honestly think it might work. I mean, its not likely to work, granted, but the nordic larp and lately blockbuster larps that ericsson is familliar with and comes from are a much better vehicle than the american big umbrella oeganization styke larps, and american versions have worked before.that, and he's run at least one sucessfull transmedia peoject before,so he has some experience.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Magnusth posted:

Iiiii honestly think it might work. I mean, its not likely to work, granted, but the nordic larp and lately blockbuster larps that ericsson is familliar with and comes from are a much better vehicle than the american big umbrella oeganization styke larps, and american versions have worked before.that, and he's run at least one sucessfull transmedia peoject before,so he has some experience.

Please describe what success even looks like in this context.

EDIT: It isn't that I don't believe you it's just that I lack any kind of perspective on what a transmedia, player-driven, LARP-primary format Vampire would even look like.

EDIT EDIT: Because currently I think about the LARPs I've played in, and how much better table top has been, and then I try to imagine the metaplot driven by the kind of people I've LARPed with and I weep.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 6, 2016

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

I'm imagining that there would be a series of biiig, showstopping blockbuster larps with pre-defined charecters, probably not with too much charecter overlap, but some, and that within the confines of the larp's structure, the result can be pretty much whatever, and that those larps would be the main metaplot-player interaction. I don't think every jack and jill's local campain will influence the metaplot.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Barbed Tongues posted:

Same. My Midwestern-LARP experience is that undergrads are still the primary recruitment target for games. The combo of the free time of the students and the easy space access on campuses are both resources that are tough to give up for a game.

But yeah, I feel like everyone pretty much walks in with a 'down with Tyranny - Up with the People' concept of undead government. Really stunts the idea of playing monsters when everyone's first instinct is to play an Anarch or the Carthians, and honestly believe as players, 'No really - we ARE the good guys!'

I maintain that my concept of Benevolent Viking Blood-King Dictatorship was the perfect example of how Carthianism and an uncritical look at mob rule can lead to a very hosed up system of government.

Mind you, I still reckon the old Icelandic law and political structure would adapt really well to the undead. It just wouldn't be a society you'd necessarily want to exist in as anything but a chieftain or one of their brood.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Magnusth posted:

Sure, but that's probably because they fly under the radar. Meanwhile, this is getting enough publicity for people with an inclination to make it go down in flames to notice it.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

I'd play in the Viking Blood King game, assuming there were at least some ways for a peon to do something interesting in the system. Tangible rewards for supporting the brood with territory or blood tithes, figuring out a way to adapt the harpy role into that position as an underling, etc.

Like - there are a million ways to make the Carthians something way more interesting than generic Poli-sci kid with vampire powers who white-knights plot and is nice to humans.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah, that was my endgame for that. Turn the Caribbean into an out-of-place viking blood kingdom built on tithes of blood and thralls, childer fostering between polities to serve as both hostage and as a genuine means of forging alliance, and a collective assembly for making new laws, and an ostensibly egalitarian society where the peons get to feel free enough they don't revolt but are actually under full control.

It helps that like, 2/3rds of the icelandic laws and customs were focused on trying to stop blood feuds from starting but tended to only make them even more spiteful. That more or less perfectly describes a vampire game in itself.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 6, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Magnusth posted:

I'm imagining that there would be a series of biiig, showstopping blockbuster larps with pre-defined charecters, probably not with too much charecter overlap, but some, and that within the confines of the larp's structure, the result can be pretty much whatever, and that those larps would be the main metaplot-player interaction. I don't think every jack and jill's local campain will influence the metaplot.

That might be an interesting way to run things but transmedia, nebulous as the term is, tends to be decentralizing and democratized. When Jack and Jill learn that their LA fanfic isn't going to be canon they'll be pissed, because that's exactly what they (and everyone else) thought when they saw the announcement.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why do people get such a ridiculous hard-on for metaplot, anyway? It always ends up disappointing and groups always alter it significantly anyway. Why not just give a good, detailed snapshot of 'where things stand' and then not worry about a bunch of pointless NPCs progressing the story without you?

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Alien Rope Burn posted:

All this about the metaplot and transmedia bits just sounds like ridiculous idea guy ain't gonna fly cow pie to me. Making Gehenna an in-game event seems particularly silly, given either it A) ends the world as we know it or B) is a wet firecracker sort of apocalypse.

Also, I have to wonder what you'd eat for the off-brand disciplines. Obtenebration? Chimerstry? Temporis? "Oh, yeah, I had to feed on clockmakers all throughout the 1700s to learn it, hard to find them these days."

See, especially if we're just talking about Gehenna (and not the werewolf apocalypse or other lines end of the world), I think it could work. The setting's always made such a big deal about how ancient vampires play out their maneuvers in years, decades, or centuries, it makes sense to me that Gehenna could take a looong time to play out. Even a Gehenna that was going full on apocalypse might not get to the spiked shoulder pads and cult of the V8 for quite some time. It would also avoid the kind of annoying "stuff happens, but we're just inching closer to the apocalypse, not at it" that a lot of the "year of" books had.

That said, wet firecracker sounds more likely at present.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

To give some historical context, let's list the metaplots that have provided a net benefit to the RPGs they're associated with:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Hell, the closest we've come to a metaplot where the players affect the outcome is TORG and well, players voting whether certain plothooks were true or not resulted in...interesting results by the end times.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To give some historical context, let's list the metaplots that have provided a net benefit to the RPGs they're associated with:

I may be suffering from some kind of brain damage, but I don't mind Forgotten Realms' metaplot (Up until 5th Edition, but the release has been so scattershot and limited that it barely counts as an update to the setting). I think metaplot can work as a very limited thing where setting details change from edition to edition, to account for new mechanics or whatever or as a response to fan feedback (White Wolf did this right two times- they nuked the Ravnos and turned Sam Haight into a goddamn ashtray).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Metaplot is okay usually from a historical standpoint. Things happening between editions, even through side books, is fine, so long as the game never says "Yeah I know that you guys did a thing but that doesn't matter because this happens anyway."

If this is going to be some kind of design by consensus thing (Everyone plays the same campaign, the most common result becomes the 'true' one) then i'm not sure how I feel about that, because something like a LARP leaves a lot up to personal and Storyteller experience and liberties. If it's some kind of "Living World" where everybody's campaign contributes to a single living world then places like New Orleans and Las Vegas are going to be complete shitshows of infighting and intrigue while that one lone Werewolf Pack will have the entire state of Minnesota on Lock and routed Pentex out years ago.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Kurieg posted:

Metaplot is okay usually from a historical standpoint. Things happening between editions, even through side books, is fine, so long as the game never says "Yeah I know that you guys did a thing but that doesn't matter because this happens anyway."

If this is going to be some kind of design by consensus thing (Everyone plays the same campaign, the most common result becomes the 'true' one) then i'm not sure how I feel about that, because something like a LARP leaves a lot up to personal and Storyteller experience and liberties. If it's some kind of "Living World" where everybody's campaign contributes to a single living world then places like New Orleans and Las Vegas are going to be complete shitshows of infighting and intrigue while that one lone Werewolf Pack will have the entire state of Minnesota on Lock and routed Pentex out years ago.

If that's their plan. That seems highly doubtful to me

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
A lot of the old popularity of metaplot seemed to stem more from people interested in reading the ongoing story than from people playing the game. Whether "readers" in general are a market that can sustain a line in 2018, I have no idea. Even if they are though, I'm dubious they'd be attracted to a living world kind of metaplot, with all the chaos that ensues with that. I remember when our LARP way back when was considering joining One World by Night, and the plots there. They were kind of interesting to read in how out there some of the regional plots got, and I guess there were a few interesting movements at the national level, but I don't think any of us would have been interested in buying books encapsulating it (especially since we decided not to join in the end anyway).

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Actually playing the metaplot would be hell to me, unless it was done as an exercise in 'let's ride with the crazy and try not to die' from the very getgo.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
nWoD had a metaplot of sorts implicit in its chapter fiction and it really wasn't a big deal. VtM 5e will be bad because it has no Ordo Dracul, not because its signature characters go on adventures.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Asheron's Call MMO video game was the better for it. Of course, there were only two or three choices the players could make for the story event that month so it was very limited. Still, it had serious effects on the game to the point of either overtly starting wars or becoming allies with an NPC faction.

e: it worked like Kurieg's "design by consensus" theory

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Metaplot does three things that I can think of. I don't know that they're positive or negative, but they definitely exist.

First, they provide a context for applied tone/theme as well as a model of what your home game should look like. Sometimes, particularly in the case of vampire, it is supposed to not be this, but it is anyway because people are going to take inspiration from it.

Second they provide a historical ticker for STs who don't want to write their own events.

Third, they provide a fiction you can read between games. It's a fiction you can enjoy in or out of character, or indeed if you aren't playing the game at all. At the far end, your home game basically becomes metaplot fan fiction, while on the mild end it's little more than food for conversation.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1640531402944220&id=1504666686530693

quote:

"I return from Grand Masquerade with tidings of...well...stuff.

As you may know, White Wolf was bought by a company called Paradox. Paradox, White Wolf, and By Night Studios held a joint presentation at Grand Masquerade to discuss the future of the World of Darkness.

The gist:
1) White Wolf is a content IP licensing company now. Their sole business is the control and licensing of the World of Darkness IP. They will be controlling the overarching metaplot, which will be consistent across all media (so novels, RPGs, computer games, TV or movies, etc will all use the EXACT SAME continuity). From one of their execs "Netflix show by 2020 or bust".

2) By Night Studios is going to keep producing the WoD RPGs. I saw some of the new Masquerade, Mage, and Werewolf books they had on display and they are GORGEOUS.

3) Vampire the Masquerade 5th Edition (V5...or just VV, as they're calling it) is being worked on with an unspecified 2018 release date. This will bring tabletop Masquerade in line more with the rules style By Night Studios uses in the new MET books (the current Masquerade LARP, and the upcoming Apocalypse LARP, which finished its Kickstarter a few months back).

4) V5 is just the start. WW and BNS are planning on revised 3rd/4th/5th editions of all the WoD game lines, including Mummy the Ressurection (maybe the bad guys will finally get stats!).

5) The new books will all be designed to fit together in the universe, similar to New WoD/Chronicles of Darkness. They will feature a fully canon timeline which will advance the metaplot to the modern day. Phrases like "The New Inquisition" and "The Forever War" were used, along with the suggestion that the games may see supernaturals go further underground, with most Vampire Elders dead and the streets largely belonging to the Neonates. The Vampire rules will apparently have new rules for how powers work, tying Disciplines into feeding and acquisition of blood, with more game focus on the exploration of the vampire psyche.

6) White Wolf will be doing a big push to better assist the overall fan community, though its unclear how they intend to do that. However, they want to find a way to allow for their officially supporter LARP clubs (of which their are currently six), plus potential video games and tabletop campaigns, to have some influence on metaplot directions in the future. HOW they intend to do this is unclear.

...then the Paradox CEO threw the horns and told the audience to embrace their Beasts and go forth, the audience shouted "PRAISE CAINE!" (....ok, a few of us did), and that was it."

Aw hell. I'm really hoping #5 is a big misinterpretation.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kurieg posted:

If it's some kind of "Living World" where everybody's campaign contributes to a single living world then places like New Orleans and Las Vegas are going to be complete shitshows of infighting and intrigue while that one lone Werewolf Pack will have the entire state of Minnesota on Lock and routed Pentex out years ago.

I am formally laying claim to the title "Prince of Contra Costa".

Is the Las Vegas LARP scene that large or are people just going to insist on playing there?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Leaving everything in the hands of By Night Studios seems like a really goofy plan to me.

Also: Netflix show within 4 years or bust, huh? That'll be fun, it's not like Netflix doesn't have a ton of vampire shows already.

#5 is something I can't even wrap my head around, like, I can't even parse it.

It sounds like Twitter Vampires isn't gonna be a thing, that's unfortunate.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This really is a bunch of LARPers with too much money living their dreams.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Wait, wait. "The New Inquisition" is a feature of the New Old WOD?

Vampire Hunting Robert Anton Wilson?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kibner posted:

The Asheron's Call MMO video game was the better for it. Of course, there were only two or three choices the players could make for the story event that month so it was very limited. Still, it had serious effects on the game to the point of either overtly starting wars or becoming allies with an NPC faction.

MMOs are a different beast entirely, since they need to update content on a regular basis to maintain novelty. I don't think it's really comparable to a TTRPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

jim truds posted:

This really is a bunch of LARPers with too much money living their dreams.

I guess that's the answer to my "Who the hell is this for" question.