Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty that's happened before where another villain (I think it was the Vulture?) managed to unmask Spider-Man and came to the unhappy realization that 'average-looking dude' is not a great lead to go on finding out his secret identity.

I think that was in Mark Millar's run on Marvel Knights Spider-Man. Peter's previously been badly injured in a fight with Electro and Vulture abducts him from the hospital, tears off his bandages so he can get a look at his face and goes, "I can't believe it - you've been beating us all these years and you're a nobody!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think that was in Mark Millar's run on Marvel Knights Spider-Man. Peter's previously been badly injured in a fight with Electro and Vulture abducts him from the hospital, tears off his bandages so he can get a look at his face and goes, "I can't believe it - you've been beating us all these years and you're a nobody!"

See, I thought Peter was kind of known for his Spidey photos.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm picturing JJJ patiently waiting there while someone sharpies his loving face on the helmet and I can't stop laughing

WickedHate posted:

It's actually like, semi transparent? Which I never really understood.

Zereth posted:

I think it's supposed to be a hologram?

SynthOrange posted:

Or some sort of display surface. Also the weekday colourist trying to color it yellow and red, while the weekend guy does it right. :v:

You all have never read comics before? It's a regular old helmet. It's just an old comics technique of showing us who's under the helmet (like we didn't know forth previous panel).

Kinda like this:

Peter Parker isn't suddenly walking around with half a spiderman mask on.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

No he specifically had a J. Jonah Jameson face ON the Iron Man mask. I distinctly recall this from the storyline.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Well that's just silly.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ignite Memories posted:

No he specifically had a J. Jonah Jameson face ON the Iron Man mask. I distinctly recall this from the storyline.

Yeah, I could swear it was transparent or projected Jonah's face on the outside.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah its in that very strip that was quoted. I cant see how you could read it and come to such a wrong conclusion. Spidey later complains about being chased by Iron Man with Jonahs face on it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty that's happened before where another villain (I think it was the Vulture?) managed to unmask Spider-Man and came to the unhappy realization that 'average-looking dude' is not a great lead to go on finding out his secret identity.

It's probably more of a concern for Peter since like a third of his regular villains wind up trying to date Aunt May.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Peter's secret identity being kinda boring is long established.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

fatherdog posted:

It's probably more of a concern for Peter since like a third of his regular villains wind up trying to date Aunt May.

It works out in his favor, too, sometimes.

Doc Ock once helped Spider-Man save a bunch of civilians because May was among them.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ferrule posted:

Well that's just silly.

Yeah, but if you saw iron man swooping in on you with a hitler mustache you'd poo poo bricks though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Red posted:

Doc Ock once helped Spider-Man save a bunch of civilians because May was among them.

Doc Ock's next panel after that is brilliant.

"You are not a civilian. Goodbye."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Doc Ock's next panel after that is brilliant.

"You are not a civilian. Goodbye."

To be fair, the whole issue is pretty amazing.

I didn't love a lot of JMS's ideas for totems and stuff, but the Ock story was a home run.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Red posted:

To be fair, the whole issue is pretty amazing.

I didn't love a lot of JMS's ideas for totems and stuff, but the Ock story was a home run.

I'm surprised that Carlyle didn't come back during Superior, that would have been an interesting interaction.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Post Funny Panels--Pretty much just Newspaper Spider-Man

(This is not a complaint)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Red posted:

Doc Ock having kind of a softer side, not just for Aunt May but in general, is an idea I always liked. Yeah he's a huge supervillain and kills people and fucks with Spider-man really hard, but he's not a 100% monster. There's lots of situations that have happened where he showed a more human side or a weird sense of fair play.

Of course since people love to up the stakes on classic villains by having them act extra evil, Joker style, there've been just as many situations where he acts like a loving psychopath and tries to murder children or whatever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Red posted:

See, I thought Peter was kind of known for his Spidey photos.

Do you know the name of the guy who took that photo of the naked Vietnamese child fleeing napalm? Because I don't.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There are famous photographers but in the Marvel world being a Bugle byline would not make a person a household name. There was that time when he went on tour and on TV to hawk his "Webs" photography collection coffee table book but that would not have made much of a difference.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Do you know the name of the guy who took that photo of the naked Vietnamese child fleeing napalm? Because I don't.

Well, I'm thinking more that Peter gets recognized for it now and then. Plus, he did publish a book of his photos, and even testified in court about it several times.

Then again, we never remember who gets photos for TMZ.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's probably mostly that cubic J would never stop releasing literally every personal document of peters life if he ever found out. And doesn't aunt May sort of hate Spider Man? It's been a while since I've read spider man stuff.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Red posted:

Well, I'm thinking more that Peter gets recognized for it now and then. Plus, he did publish a book of his photos, and even testified in court about it several times.

Then again, we never remember who gets photos for TMZ.

Can't believe I found this page:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Peter did win a Pulitzer for getting the first picture of Sentry unmasked, before that dick went and retconned himself out of existence.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Air is lava! posted:

It's probably mostly that cubic J would never stop releasing literally every personal document of peters life if he ever found out. And doesn't aunt May sort of hate Spider Man? It's been a while since I've read spider man stuff.

It depends on if she knows. I don't remember where we are vis a vis Aunt May knowing who Spider-Man is, but whenever she does know it's Peter (Yes, Spidey Continuity is so dumb she's found out several times) she comes around to supporting Spider-Man pretty quickly.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Why does that guy get to wear a cowboy hat in court but I can't wear my fez or drive my tiny car?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Lurdiak posted:

Peter did win a Pulitzer for getting the first picture of Sentry unmasked, before that dick went and retconned himself out of existence.

I want to see the scene of Peter Parker, sitting in his den, gleefully eyeing his pulitzer that's hung above the mantle when it suddenly just pops out of existence. He doesn't technically remember anything that's happened, but he still feels a great sense of loss and disappointment.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Peter Parker is known for taking photos of Spider-Man. He doesn't take selfies.

Ok, so he does, but nobody knows that!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

He doesn't technically remember anything that's happened, but he still feels a great sense of loss and disappointment.

So he just marks it as another normal day for Spider-man

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

I want to see the scene of Peter Parker, sitting in his den, gleefully eyeing his pulitzer that's hung above the mantle when it suddenly just pops out of existence. He doesn't technically remember anything that's happened, but he still feels a great sense of loss and disappointment.

He can keep it on the loss-and-disappointment shelf next to his marriage and unborn child.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Peter Parker's secret identity is simultaneously the smartest and dumbest thing in his series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Captain Bravo posted:

It's even worse than that. Going by the original Sentry mini, his Pulitzer was on the mantelpiece the whole time, just everyone forgot he'd won it, and he had a psychic bling spot preventing him from seeing it. So when he lost his job at the Bugle due to downsizing, he was going to all these job interviews and people were like "Sorry dude, you ain't got the qualifications." and he'd go home and mope next to his invisible Pulitzer.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Captain Bravo posted:

Well he's no stranger to having meaningful events in his life magically retconned out of existence.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kwyndig posted:

Peter Parker's secret identity is simultaneously the smartest and dumbest thing in his series.

Definitely interesting how his life as Spider-Man gets in the way of his life as Peter but it's being Spider-Man that funds his life as Peter. From a story perspective you have a character who wants to go out and find trouble as much as possible.

This is why it was weird during the Superior Spider-Man series when Ghost Peter is trying to tell Dr. Octopus-as-Spidey that he has to go out on patrol. Most of the reason for the nightly patrol was to get photographs but with working at Horizon it was not clear why he had to go out and actively seek crime for its own sake.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Why does that guy get to wear a cowboy hat in court but I can't wear my fez or drive my tiny car?

So he could make that joke.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Red posted:

So he could make that joke.

I didn't know lawyers got to use props! I want a Carrot Top as a lawyer movie now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So it turns out that Lawyer was in fact 100% correct as Curt later turned into the Lizard and murdered his son, right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

So it turns out that Lawyer was in fact 100% correct as Curt later turned into the Lizard and murdered his son, right?

I still think that story was inappropriate for ASM.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Eh.

Connors turned himself in until he could 100% cure himself, but Calypso used voodoo or some crap to Lizard him up again, and he got out of the vault anyway. So it would've happened regardless.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Lurdiak posted:

So when he lost his job at the Bugle due to downsizing, he was going to all these job interviews and people were like "Sorry dude, you ain't got the qualifications." and he'd go home and mope next to his invisible Pulitzer.

This is the best thing ever.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Lurdiak posted:

I still think that story was inappropriate for ASM.

Shed was pretty amazing except for the "eating your own son" part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ferrule posted:

Shed was pretty amazing except for the "eating your own son" part.

And the implied rape of Dr. Connors' assistant.