Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

antiga posted:

I suspected the same. Regarding a colored stone, I think she'd be happier wth a clear stone even if it was moissanite. I'm just not thrilled with the very un-romantic conversation of moissanite vs. diamond and shininess-per-$$. Also a bit of a durability concern for moissanite given her line of work

Hi, die hard moissanite fan. Its still a super hard stone, and it looks loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

To be clear, I think it would be great. Just hard to ask that question (she offered up that she didn't care about natural diamond), and we'd have to keep it a secret from family because people are awful.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

antiga posted:

To be clear, I think it would be great. Just hard to ask that question (she offered up that she didn't care about natural diamond), and we'd have to keep it a secret from family because people are awful.

Moissanite looks like you would expect a diamond to look. Unless they are big diamond enthusiasts or are jewelers they won't know if you don't tell them. That and you might want to keep the stone size small if you are actively trying to fool people about it being a diamond. Its easy to get a huge moissanite.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Yeah it's actually got slightly more brilliance than diamonds do but as Goodpancakes said no one will really be able to tell. Moissanite is rad and a 9.5 on the hardness scale (out of 10), so wear is not an issue.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Though it'll still chip in a tension setting if you're not careful. I'll probably have to eventually replace mine, after nearly four years of daily wear and some rough treatment there's a definite 'peeled off' looking corner.

Synthetic ruby suffers the same too come to think of it. Dang tension settings.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Dang that looks pretty finely detailed. though (please forgive my being dense, possibly) what is pictured on there?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Old Binsby posted:

Dang that looks pretty finely detailed. though (please forgive my being dense, possibly) what is pictured on there?

Looks like a badass wizard chilling in front of his castle

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

nyerf posted:

Though it'll still chip in a tension setting if you're not careful. I'll probably have to eventually replace mine, after nearly four years of daily wear and some rough treatment there's a definite 'peeled off' looking corner.

Synthetic ruby suffers the same too come to think of it. Dang tension settings.

Did someone say Moissanite in a tension setting? :D

I love it.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

Haha yes, that's the one that got me into it in the first place :) I very nearly went with the exact same setting, but then decided on a pseudo-prong thing. I think because it's applying pressure at four points like a square the shear forces aren't agreeing with the way the gem is cut? Not sure how to phrase it. Mine basically looks chipped, easiest way to put it. We had all the corners of a rectangle cut synth ruby chip off from a tension setting too. Also in a square-shape type setting. Perhaps the swirly shape distributes forces evenly around the stone by comparison?

E: This is what it looked like in its heyday:

and next to husband's, who also had a meteorite inlay bit

and a look directly down on the ring, couldn't find anything better than this. This is also an example of an older(I went for the most basic option) moissanite in natural sunlight--they would have a definite tinge of yellow, though generally appeared white to the eye in most other instances

nyerf fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 6, 2016

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

nyerf posted:

Wow! I need to find the cash to get something similar for my 5.5 size finger... Maybe since I'm tiny the meteorite will be less... I can hope.

That's a really lovely pair of rings!

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

nyerf posted:

That's nice. I've never been a fan of tension settings before, but I really like that one.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This is relevant to pretty much nothing, but I just picked up a piece of pink limb cast chalcedony at a gem show this weekend, slabbed it up and cut a cab from it. I rather like this material, glad I've got plenty of rough now:

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
I just bought half a kilo of the same material, but in a color that's white-ish/grey. Great stuff.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

goodness posted:

Looks like a badass wizard chilling in front of his castle

Well i haven't missed any of the obvious pop culture references then. Still looks cool.

I'm also kind of in love with the meteorite ring pictured above. I don't think I've seen anything like it at local jewelers. Should I have looked harder or is it just pretty uncommon material for a ring?

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

Both our rings were crafted by boonerings.com, but I don't know how prevalent the user of meteorite is outside of that. I'd highly recommend his service if you like the look of those rings, he was very accommodating with my requests for customising the ring. See http://www.boonerings.com/extreme.htm for some examples of meteorite inlay stuff he does, but everything on the website is sorta a serving suggestion. Just drop him a line and ask what he can do for you!

The only trouble with how we had that inlay is that the tiny piece that is the end part of the strip as it were is prone to being knocked off, so I'd stick to just one big strip rather than having it broken up if you could. Or at least bigger strips! He also organised buying the stones for us (I just said to buy from which particular vendors) to avoid my having to ship the stones to him. Because the meteorite is textured it does tend to trap grime with daily wear, I think you have to clean it from time to time with a mild abrasive to get it nice again. I think I spent maybe half an hour gently rubbing it with baking soda and water before the wedding to get it cleaned up (it'd been an engagement present and was already in use).

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

What would be the best way to preserve a couple of pieces of feathers to turn into jewelry? One of my birds passed and I'd like to keep a memento. Poured into resin in a cabochon-shaped mold?

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
That would work. You could also have them bronzed and then gold or silver plated.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I'm in Denver for the Gem Show that runs until Sunday.

Does anyone want me to pick them something up? They have EVERYTHING. Some examples include moldavite, geodes, tourmaline of all kinds, peridot, opal, facets, roughs, cabs, fossils, etc.

Cheaper prices than you will be able to get anywhere else

This is a wulfenite on possible mimetite, hemimorphite on mimetite, and cavansite on stilbite.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

goodness posted:

I'm in Denver for the Gem Show that runs until Sunday.

Does anyone want me to pick them something up? They have EVERYTHING. Some examples include moldavite, geodes, tourmaline of all kinds, peridot, opal, facets, roughs, cabs, fossils, etc.

Cheaper prices than you will be able to get anywhere else

This is a wulfenite on possible mimetite, hemimorphite on mimetite, and cavansite on stilbite.

Jealous! I wish I could fly down to get some facet rough. Take pictures to post of really cool stuff!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You should look at the ethiopian opals being sold by Daniel Kinfe - he's my regular supplier and great. Top floor of coliseum.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Jealous! I wish I could fly down to get some facet rough. Take pictures to post of really cool stuff!

http://imgur.com/a/dujb8

Here's what I have got myself so far. Hard to get decent pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyQujwuuGps

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

goodness posted:

http://imgur.com/a/dujb8

Here's what I have got myself so far. Hard to get decent pictures.

Haha this mirror is great.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

nyerf posted:

Both our rings were crafted by boonerings.com, but I don't know how prevalent the user of meteorite is outside of that. I'd highly recommend his service if you like the look of those rings, he was very accommodating with my requests for customising the ring. See http://www.boonerings.com/extreme.htm for some examples of meteorite inlay stuff he does, but everything on the website is sorta a serving suggestion. Just drop him a line and ask what he can do for you!

The only trouble with how we had that inlay is that the tiny piece that is the end part of the strip as it were is prone to being knocked off, so I'd stick to just one big strip rather than having it broken up if you could. Or at least bigger strips! He also organised buying the stones for us (I just said to buy from which particular vendors) to avoid my having to ship the stones to him. Because the meteorite is textured it does tend to trap grime with daily wear, I think you have to clean it from time to time with a mild abrasive to get it nice again. I think I spent maybe half an hour gently rubbing it with baking soda and water before the wedding to get it cleaned up (it'd been an engagement present and was already in use).

Totally forgot to thank you for this, very informative. Definitely looking into getting rings like this now. There's some great stuff on their website. Hope I can get my partner on board, haha

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Haha this mirror is great.

Not even a mirror, it was 5-6 slices all setup in a row. Most impressive thing I saw there by far.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
I really regret not making that show. It's on my list for the future.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

goodness posted:

Not even a mirror, it was 5-6 slices all setup in a row. Most impressive thing I saw there by far.

Whoa! Haha so that's someone (you?) standing at the end? I can see it now. I thought it was a geode turned into one of those infinity mirrors.

JohnnyRnR posted:

I really regret not making that show. It's on my list for the future.

Yeah I really need to start making a list of shows to go to for next year.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Whoa! Haha so that's someone (you?) standing at the end? I can see it now. I thought it was a geode turned into one of those infinity mirrors.

Yeah I really need to start making a list of shows to go to for next year.

Yeah I'm standing at the end. The slices were about 3ft tall by 2ft. I can't wait for Tucson.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Tips on gem photography? I got some opals and other stuff that I'd like to show you.

I did stop by the opal booth you recommended and picked up a couple small ones!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Opals are prima donnas and can be individually tricky to photograph.

Direct sunlight against a black or white sheet of paper is usually pretty good, though to get your camera to adjust brightness correctly you mighg need to surround your white paper with something darker (or vice versa).

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyQujwuuGps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw6e95k-X30 (from Daniel Kinfe, cheaper ones of his but still fire.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrlD5eeC9ds

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

My girlfriend is into jewelry making (mostly silver, but also other things), and her birthday is coming up. She has mentioned wanting a micromotor before, which I'd like to get for her.

But I don't know anything about brands or what's a good price or anything. Most of what I'm finding online is for dentistry, and I don't know if those work for jewelry making.

Any recommendations? Also, we live in Denmark, so preferably something that works on 220V/50Hz with the right plug type, but it's not absolutely necessary.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

artist Jeff Parke
https://www.instagram.com/j.parke/

engraved silver, gold inlay, black enamel

goodness fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 6, 2016

WOOFDOCTOR
Mar 17, 2012
I am not a doctor.
Can anyone tell me what price range a 6mm eye-clean round cut ceylon sapphire with reasonable transparency falls in?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

How's the color?

WOOFDOCTOR
Mar 17, 2012
I am not a doctor.

Tunicate posted:

How's the color?

I am not sure how to answer this question, I am not pricing a stone in my possession, I am trying to find a stone with that description.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Total spitball number here, but I'd say you're looking at $1000 to $1500 depending upon whether it's heated or unheated. That's assuming it's a pretty standard Ceylon blue - obviously you're going to pay less if you go overly light or dark, or more if you're going for some neon Kashmir poo poo.

Also does it have to be round? There's nothing wrong with rounds, per se, but there are so many more oval/cushion cut sapphires out there that you'll have a much easier time finding something in the size and quality you want.

WOOFDOCTOR
Mar 17, 2012
I am not a doctor.

Naerasa posted:

Total spitball number here, but I'd say you're looking at $1000 to $1500 depending upon whether it's heated or unheated. That's assuming it's a pretty standard Ceylon blue - obviously you're going to pay less if you go overly light or dark, or more if you're going for some neon Kashmir poo poo.

Also does it have to be round? There's nothing wrong with rounds, per se, but there are so many more oval/cushion cut sapphires out there that you'll have a much easier time finding something in the size and quality you want.

Doesn't have to be round! Thank you for the suggestion.

WOOFDOCTOR
Mar 17, 2012
I am not a doctor.
Sorry in advance for double posting, I have a lot of questions.

Is it possible to use ceramic as a durable inlay material? I have been looking for a ring for my partner who has decided he would also like to wear an engagement ring. So far, he liked one ring we looked at which was stainless steel with a blue enameled groove in the middle of the ring. When we asked one of the small jewelers in the area about that style of ring, she told us that enamel is really fragile and recommended looking for someone who would do a similar inlay in ceramic. We are not looking for a ring that is entirely ceramic, which is what we found when we looked online.

If ceramic is not possible, does anyone have a suggestion of other materials to look at that come in green? We have also looked at channel set green sapphires and it's not the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

WOOFDOCTOR posted:

Sorry in advance for double posting, I have a lot of questions.

Is it possible to use ceramic as a durable inlay material? I have been looking for a ring for my partner who has decided he would also like to wear an engagement ring. So far, he liked one ring we looked at which was stainless steel with a blue enameled groove in the middle of the ring. When we asked one of the small jewelers in the area about that style of ring, she told us that enamel is really fragile and recommended looking for someone who would do a similar inlay in ceramic. We are not looking for a ring that is entirely ceramic, which is what we found when we looked online.

If ceramic is not possible, does anyone have a suggestion of other materials to look at that come in green? We have also looked at channel set green sapphires and it's not the same.

It's not so much the durability, as it is the production. I'm not entirely sure how the ceramic rings are made, but they are always the ring with something else as inlay as opposed to the inlay themselves. I do not know of any inlays like ceramic that are green, apart from enamel (fused glass) and ceramit (coloured resin). Enamel is indeed very fragile as it is glass, but ceramit can be moderately tougher.

Actually just giving it some thought, noble metals (titanium, niobium) can be coloured with electricity...so maybe you'll be able to find something with a titanium or niobium inlay that is then electrified to turn green? Unfortunately that's all I can come up with!

• Locked thread