Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the info on the bands. Worth it to wait on the refresh or take advantage of the pricing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
As far as I know, there is zero information pointing to a new watch other than "it's been a year and a half". Could be wrong, of course.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

There've been a bunch of leaks recently of a thinner watch screen and a larger battery, so something's likely to appear in the not too distant future. The new iPhone announcement is 3 days away; it's at least worth waiting until then to see what comes out of it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

So I've been having a weird issue with my rMBP (which if you remember my previous posts was a replacement because of a wifi issue - which the replacement fixed).

I've been getting constant kernel panics starting a week ago. Sometimes they say Chrome triggered it, sometimes they say some OS stuff like mdworker caused it, sometimes it's weird errors deep in the kernel but almost always it referred to memory errors. Like some queue inside of the kernel was expecting 0xdeadbeef but actually got 0xdead1a5d so it bugged out. I thought maybe it was my software so I tried it with the guest account and still got it to panic. Eventually I just left it on the login screen so none of my stuff was running and it still panicked if I left it alone for a while.

So I ran diagnostics by holding D and they came out OK. I ran the recovery partition and tried to make it crash by browsing around with Safari but couldn't.

So I decided maybe it's my install so I initiated a clean install on a formatted drive. It downloaded what it needed and then froze up during the post-restart "installing" phase with 16min remaining. I know because the Force Trackpad stops clicking when the computer dies. I didn't get any sort of message though it just locked up.

Because the recovery drive is only 2gb, I'm thinking memory pressure is what causes it to bug out, which leads me to think it's an issue with a RAM chip. Which unfortunately is soldered on.

So, I have an appointment at the stand on Tuesday since I have warranty, I just want to know if you experts / ex-Apple employees think my troubleshooting was correct and my diagnosis has a high chance of being correct.

Being the second machine on the same purchase I'm bringing in for warranty work, I'm expecting a bit of pushback.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Pivo posted:

Weird crashy issues

This sounds like the exact sort of situation where you'd want to run memtest to verify your RAM and make sure its not a hardware issue. To be honest I haven't needed to do this since like 2005 so I'm hoping memtest is still the right software and didn't go to poo poo to monetize or whatever. Also, unless anything has changed from 2005, expect that to take 8+ hours to run, so maybe run it overnight.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I've run Memtest while troubleshooting self built PC issues before but does it even run on a Mac? Does anything not signed by Apple even boot unless through Boot Camp?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Pivo posted:

I've run Memtest while troubleshooting self built PC issues before but does it even run on a Mac? Does anything not signed by Apple even boot unless through Boot Camp?

It claims to on that website but yeah, that website appears to have been last updated about when I last used it, so I'm not sure.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
IIRC the extended apple hardware test will run a memory test

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

I boot Ubuntu all the time on my MBA from a USB, even though unetbootin says it won't work. The bootloader has memtest on it but I've never run it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Pivo posted:

Because the recovery drive is only 2gb, I'm thinking memory pressure is what causes it to bug out, which leads me to think it's an issue with a RAM chip. Which unfortunately is soldered on.

Recovery partitions are 650MB not 2GB. IIRC swap is only turned on in recovery once you start an OS install, using the install target partition to provide swap space instead of the recovery partition. Before that there is no swap space, and the recovery OS is designed to not use enough memory to need it.

Since this had to be engineered for the worst case supported Macs, with 2GB RAM, I doubt you have any memory pressure to speak of in recovery mode on a 15" rMBP.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Okay... All I meant was when I was in Recovery I had a 2gb partition mounted when I went to Disk Utility. I assumed that was the recovery partition.

Anyhow, my point was that recovery was so light that I wasn't able to get recovery Safari to crash the computer but as soon as the installer rebooted out of recovery it crashed the gently caress down.

I imagine the OS X installer is pretty heavy on memory so if my theory is right, it is bad RAM. Since at least I eliminated 100% of my install from the equation so it's certainly not my poo poo causing it, and most of the panics refer to memory related stuff deep in the kernel.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
A couple years ago, I paid some random store to replace my IPad's cracked screen. After getting it back, the touch interface randomly fires off in different parts of the screen. Is there a way I can remove the uncracked screen and put it back in to prevent this or do I need to buy a new screen and put it in myself?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Spacebump posted:

A couple years ago, I paid some random store to replace my IPad's cracked screen. After getting it back, the touch interface randomly fires off in different parts of the screen. Is there a way I can remove the uncracked screen and put it back in to prevent this or do I need to buy a new screen and put it in myself?

iPad thread is in another forum - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552944

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Spacebump posted:

You want the iPad hardware thread, but probably?

Depending on what iPad it is, I think you could find a screen assembly (no idea how the touch sensor factors in) cheaply enough, but by the same token you might just be better off cutting your losses.

Personally, if it were anything older than an OG Air I would try to get some value out of it (refurbisher or sold-for-parts) and replace it rather than repair. Like, I dunno that spending $100 for the parts and equipment necessary to keep a 4 year old iPad alive for another OS update at best is better than saving that money, adding the ~$150 you might be able to get for it from some Internet refurbisher, and saving up for a discounted Air 2/Mini 4/Pro off of the refurb store or a Black Friday sale.

I don't mean it as a gear snob, it's just that iPads have gotten exponentially more powerful over the years and the OS and apps have been evolving to capitalize on it. It's a lot different from what's been happening in PC/Mac Land during the same time period.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Also one you use split screen or PiP on the Air 2/ pro you'll never want to go back.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Voting bad RAM on the kernel panics also. It sounds exactly like a problem I had with my g3 iBook back in 2002. I guess bad RAM symptoms never change with age. They're just more difficult to fix now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If you ever wanted to see a web page that has ALL of Apple's dongles (25 at the moment) have a look here:

https://17orbits.com/2016/09/05/apple-all-25-of-the-apples-dongles-in-one-place/

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
got it got it need it got it got it got it need it need it....

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Am I being a luddite by saying it's a mistake to phase out headphone jacks? Is this my own 'less space than a nomad' moment?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I think it's stupid to not include a standard headphone jack v:shobon:v

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

But however will they make this years model a tenth of a mm thinner so they can show it next to a toothpick to demonstrate its revolutionary thinness if they are held hostage by the tyranny of 3.5mm headphone jacks?

I for one won't be satisfied until I can fit a full featured smart phone in a credit card slot.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm typing this on a 13" rMBP from 2015 and it seriously is as thin as is sensible IMO. The lower portion is thinner than some usb plugs, yet there's next to no flex. Just wish everyone would settle down on the thinness and think more about rigidity.

One of the reasons I got a mac in the first place is because I hate wobbly, creaky plastic laptops. Now they're all wafer thin and I'm concerned. Maybe I am out of date, I still want headphone jacks and would have liked firewire or ethernet on here.

Phone stuff:

well why not fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 6, 2016

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

well why not posted:

Am I being a luddite by saying it's a mistake to phase out headphone jacks? Is this my own 'less space than a nomad' moment?

I consider people complaining about the removal luddites.

Listening to music over bluetooth is a vastly improved experience. Not dealing with the cables is incredibly freeing. On top of that, the cable has always been the weak point of headphones for me: each pair I ever chucked was because the cable broke.

If you don't want to switch it's going to suck a bit. But someone has to take the first step in switching to a new and superior technology. Half-assing doesn't work. Apple has always taken the lead in this (see dvd-drives, floppy disks and now towards USB type C).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If Apple was nice and included a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter in the box I'd feel a little better about it. I had a HTC Windows 6 smartphone that lacked a headphone jack while still managing to be absolutely massive. I never thought I'd ever have to worry about dongles again, but here we are.

Also this would have been the ideal time to introduce wireless charging, but I guess a truly wireless iPhone that doesn't need expensive proprietary cables is too wireless.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Crossposting, but still - Without any headphones jack, how am I/we supposed to continue using the Square card-swipe dongle :ohdear: I bring in 10-11k a month using that...

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

LPG Giant posted:

I consider people complaining about the removal luddites.

Listening to music over bluetooth is a vastly improved experience. Not dealing with the cables is incredibly freeing. On top of that, the cable has always been the weak point of headphones for me: each pair I ever chucked was because the cable broke.

If you don't want to switch it's going to suck a bit. But someone has to take the first step in switching to a new and superior technology. Half-assing doesn't work. Apple has always taken the lead in this (see dvd-drives, floppy disks and now towards USB type C).

Bluetooth is a really lovely technology though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

eightysixed posted:

Crossposting, but still - Without any headphones jack, how am I/we supposed to continue using the Square card-swipe dongle :ohdear: I bring in 10-11k a month using that...

Use your old phone until they come out with a Lightning reader.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

It's hilarious to me how people constantly complain about how Apple is removing ports and connectivity "just to save half a mm," when at this point if you look at a 5 year old MBP or iPhone, most people wouldn't even consider using one because of how heavy and thick they are, even if the internals were upgraded. I started using a cheap pair of Bluetooth headphones recently, and so far the positives (no cords to tangle while you are cleaning/doing dishes) outweigh the negatives (you have to recharge them).

Most people will complain about the lack of a headphone port for a while and then everyone will stop caring as they realize it doesn't really matter, just like every other time Apple removed something from their products. In any case, I assume the iPhone SE will still be available, and maybe a discounted 6S, so you can keep using that headphone jack for another 4-5 years if you want.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

eightysixed posted:

Use this instead. :ssh: (And let Magstripe die....I know you can't. :v: )

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

ShadeofBlue posted:

It's hilarious to me how people constantly complain about how Apple is removing ports and connectivity "just to save half a mm," when at this point if you look at a 5 year old MBP or iPhone, most people wouldn't even consider using one because of how heavy and thick they are, even if the internals were upgraded.

Give me a 2012 Unibody MBP with upgraded internals and I'd buy that poo poo in a heartbeat. Thinness and weight have diminishing returns past a certain point that I don't care about them anymore, but I realize I'm not most people. I have the 2012 MBP unibody now and would love an upgraded version, since the form factor is perfect to me.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

well why not posted:

I'm typing this on a 13" rMBP from 2015 and it seriously is as thin as is sensible IMO. The lower portion is thinner than some usb plugs, yet there's next to no flex. Just wish everyone would settle down on the thinness and think more about rigidity.

One of the reasons I got a mac in the first place is because I hate wobbly, creaky plastic laptops. Now they're all wafer thin and I'm concerned. Maybe I am out of date, I still want headphone jacks and would have liked firewire or ethernet on here.

Phone stuff:

"We think you're gonna love it" should be the center box IMO

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Krispy Kareem posted:

If Apple was nice and included a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter in the box I'd feel a little better about it.

By all accounts they will be.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Some of us have really high-end headphones which the iPhone DAC is pretty good at driving at reasonable volumes. Also, being able to just pick up some cheap earbuds from the dollar store when you need them is pretty convenient if you're travelling. The dollar store probably won't have a lightning->3.5mm adapter.

In the high-end case, sure, you can buy expensive BT headphones, but expensive does not equal good, and the lossy compression and poo poo battery life is something I can't live with. I do NOT want to charge my headphones!

I know we have an iPhone thread, but you guys are discussing it so #yolo, but I really don't think removing the TRRS is going to be a good move in the short term. I like my 6S just fine, and we'll see how it plays out, and how the market reacts... Anyone who cares about audio quality though, plugs it in to their car or their home audio system, or doesn't want to replace their expensive headphones with BT versions... I'd say wait. Wait and see what happens.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Hopefully Apple or a third party will make a DAC / headphone jack case. If they integrated it into their battery case that'd be cool. Headphone jacks are great because they "just work". I've had exactly 0 connectivity problems with my headphone jack in the past 4 years I've owned an iPhone. However reliable Bluetooth
connectivity is, it will be a downgrade from 100% reliability.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 6, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And on the other side, I couldn't give two shits if they take it off.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Luceo posted:

Give me a 2012 Unibody MBP with upgraded internals and I'd buy that poo poo in a heartbeat. Thinness and weight have diminishing returns past a certain point that I don't care about them anymore, but I realize I'm not most people. I have the 2012 MBP unibody now and would love an upgraded version, since the form factor is perfect to me.

I will bet that If you use an RMBP for 4 years, you will feel differently. It's all about what you are used to.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
In the past when Apple killed off ports, it generally was to replace them with something better. This time though, it seems like more of a gently caress you because we can move. I do already use bluetooth most of the time, despite the added cost and much lower quality, so whatever. But I do want to see what the tangible benefit they claim it provides.

Making a laptop as thin as possible like the Macbook makes some kind of sense as that greatly affects the weight you're hauling around. Making a phone that way destroys battery size and makes them harder to hold.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

ShadeofBlue posted:

I will bet that If you use an RMBP for 4 years, you will feel differently. It's all about what you are used to.

Possibly, but I also like having the internal space for two hard drives, and several ports.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have some heavy Sennheiser headphones and I'll be sad I can't use them but in reality gently caress wires. gently caress wires up the rear end. Bluetooth headphones feel so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Re: RAM problem. At the Apple Store. Guy did diagnostics and said "oh yeah it came up with memory errors right away"

Yay 2nd broken rMBP in a row!