Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

ImPureAwesome posted:

I guess I don't understand the sentiment at all how can you be bored in half a second

Being forced to sit there stuck is a boring and stupid gimmick regardless of it's effective or not in a fast paced game. It's as much about style as it is about sitting there frozen. Which makes any match with Mei not fun to play, and since people play games for fun the moment a game becomes not fun is the moment it fails as a game. Personally I've never had a problem beating her, but I can safely say I'd rather not play the game than play against her. And if she was more commonly used I'd be playing something else.

Matches with Mei are the only time the game has felt stupid, slow, boring, and kind silly. I'm glad they are rare, because I'd rather just take a loss and whatever than bother with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MysteriousStranger posted:

Her core ability simply leaves her too vulnerable. A floating, slow moving, above cover, character is a dead character. Even grounded her ultimate leaves her as a giant stationary target. She's still fun and I like the character design, plus years of playing Quake means I can direct rocket hit all day long, and her missile that bounces people around is great. But the fact remains that two of her abilities are going to get her killed.

yea but it's mostly just a small subset of heroes that really ruin her day, so it must be hard to balance her in a way that makes her viable against her counters without being too good against everything else

they could make her faster while airborne maybe? change 25 or maybe even 50 of her base health to armor? hard to say what would work without breaking her in some way against the heroes that don't have an answer to her. she's probably pretty low on the list of priorities since she's still good, just not at that level for the most part

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Mei's freeze is no different than Reinhart knocking you off your feet, McCree throwing a flashbang, or when Ana puts you to sleep. I'd argue it's more of a feat to freeze a dude than any of those things cause you have to get close to the threat and keep blasting it with your cold attack.

I think letting Mei's M2 fire more quickly she would hang back a bit more to lay down fire and make walls instead if rushing into the fray as much. Although it would make getting frozen by her an almost assured death sentence. It would be nice to shoot fast enough to kill Roadhog and Reinhart tho!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 6, 2016

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Mei is fun. Anna's sleep dart is far more annoying

strong bird
May 12, 2009

all of those spells have cooldowns and ice bitch's freeze is her primary attack with no cooldown

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the difference between mei's stun and ever other stun is that it's not instant

it slows you down so that you have time to panic and frantically try to get away, which is probably why it's more annoying for people when they get frozen anyway. there's an aspect of personal failure to getting frozen by a mei that isn't as big with the other stuns since you only have an instant to react to them

strong bird
May 12, 2009

This person running at you and holding down their flamethrower but cold is exactly the same as a slow moving projectile with a substantial cooldown

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Sancho posted:

Mei is fun. Anna's sleep dart is far more annoying

This is the most true forever. Make me deal with mei freezing me forever if I never get hit with a sleep dart ever again.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Uhhh Hello just shoot the heal sniper lol? Just hit her with bullets from range? Duh? Just kill her w/ gun?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
If you get frozen and killed by Mei it means that either your team has failed you or you were completely alone and would have likely died to any other duelist character like Mei/Roadhog/McCree/Hanzo/Genji that punishes people who are alone.

Likewise if Mei manages to freeze and kill one of your teammates near you, you personally failed to save your teammate in that situation.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I feel like I have a chance when an enemy Mei comes after me but when I'm doing my thing and suddenly I'm stunned or put to sleep without a say in the matter I get angry.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

strong bird posted:

Uhhh Hello just shoot the heal sniper lol? Just hit her with bullets from range? Duh? Just kill her w/ gun?

Same but replace heal sniper with ice woman

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The heal sniper cannot make herself totally and completely invulnerable for several seconds

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If mei has used her ice block, you can walk away and shoot her more in a few seconds where she can't reach you

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

strong bird posted:

all of those spells have cooldowns and ice bitch's freeze is her primary attack with no cooldown

The cooldowns only matter if they fail to kill you during of the stun, in which case you should usually be winning the engagement

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Yes, which is why the ice bitch is poorly designed, as her stun has no cooldown.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

generally speaking, I'd say that if a lone mei freezes you then you hosed up. not every hero can deal with her getting up in their face but a lot of them can, whether by using a better stun, pushing her away, getting away themselves, or hell just killing her because it's not that hard. even if you don't kill her, you can still force her to pop her freeze and shield herself, which gives you time to get away

it's harder in a big team fight where you have more things to pay attention to but the mei freeze isn't hard to counter. her alt fire is better than her primary most of the time and she gets ult fast enough that the snowblower is the last thing I tend to worry about when I see a mei

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rick posted:

Question: does Mei's ult recharge faster if she is pumping body shots into frozen tanks instead of head shotting supports? Seems the Meis who are spamming ults aren't getting a lot of eliminations themselves.

Mei's ult charges the same as anyone else's which means it's based off of raw damage numbers done plus self-healing done. Headshots are a faster, more efficient way to charge ult because you do double damage, but Mei's ult charges quickly because when they patched it so that heroes gained ult charge from self-healing they didn't adjust the charge rate for her the way they did for other heroes with self-heals, so on average she builds charge faster than before since her cryostasis adds to it in addition to damage.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Enemy team should gang up and wait for a frozen Mei to thaw. If it's just you vs Mei leave the situation if it's dire for you. Mei rules I will not back down ever!

Does Roadhog huffing gas bother you too?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Pudge is not totally and completely invulnerable while healing

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Mei's ult is far more frustrating than any other part of her kit because it is god drat huge

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

strong bird posted:

Pudge is not totally and completely invulnerable while healing

Exactly how traumatized have you been by Mei players?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I'm really attractive and good at games so never, it's just really poor design.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Mei is actually really good design

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mei getting into her ice thing means you should all get up next to her and murder her for free

if you're alone, just leave. she can't follow you; she's in an ice block

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Its poop from a dog's blown out rear end hole, dude.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

strong bird posted:

Yes, which is why the ice bitch is poorly designed, as her stun has no cooldown.

Every character (barring Zenyatta) has some way to avoid it. It's not some unavoidable stun. I've got way more problems with McCree's flashbang and Anna's sleep dart or even Reaper's loving bullshit cannons than I do with Mei.

Also, a smart mei is immediately going to blow her ice wall as soon as she hops out of her ice egg.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Please tell me what every character barring the orb man can do to avoid it, other than killing ice woman.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Gonna be honest, the ease with which Mei can apparently make people melt down simply by virtue of existing is enough to make me want to play her more, so there's that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

please stop calling mei ice bitch

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Absolutely not.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Sombra and stealth will kill Overwatch fun.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I prefer calling mei the war criminal

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I think I need to play Mei more

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Not only am I against the blatant pandering to the Chinese people by video games company Blizzard Entertainment, I am against the depiction of unhealthy body types in media targeted to youth. Pudge and ice bitch need to go on a diet.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

strong bird posted:

Please tell me what every character barring the orb man can do to avoid it, other than killing ice woman.

I will indulge you

Tracer: Blink away
Genji: double jump/climb/dash away
McCree: flashbang
Pharah: Jump away
Reaper: Ghost away
Soldier: Sprint away
Bastion: Nothin really, but if mei gets close enough to freeze you as bastion you messed up somewhere
Hanzo: Climb away
Junkrat: Mine away
Mei: Iceblock, wall
Torb: Again, nothing really but she shouldn't really reach you
D.va: Boost away
Reinhardt: Boost away, hit her away, shield, take it
Roadhog: just sit there and take it
Winston: Jump away
Zarya: Bubble, walk away
Ana: Sleep dart
Lucio: Speed boost wall grind away
Mercy: Fly away
Symmetra: Die
Zenyatta: Die

sooo we have bastion, torbjorn, roadhog, symmetra, and zenyatta can't deal with her from close range other than kill her. she's fine

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
You take back everything you've said about Mei. She's fun to play!

Can we trash talk Reaper's die die die move because nothing has caused me to yell at this game except die die die. It's a mountain of bullshit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

e: o someone else already said it

roadhog can hook and kill her in one hit tho, he doesn't have to just sit there

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Kashuno posted:

I will indulge you

Tracer: Blink away
Genji: double jump/climb/dash away
McCree: flashbang
Pharah: Jump away
Reaper: Ghost away
Soldier: Sprint away
Bastion: Nothin really, but if mei gets close enough to freeze you as bastion you messed up somewhere
Hanzo: Climb away
Junkrat: Mine away
Mei: Iceblock, wall
Torb: Again, nothing really but she shouldn't really reach you
D.va: Boost away
Reinhardt: Boost away, hit her away, shield, take it
Roadhog: just sit there and take it
Winston: Jump away
Zarya: Bubble, walk away
Ana: Sleep dart
Lucio: Speed boost wall grind away
Mercy: Fly away
Symmetra: Die
Zenyatta: Die

sooo we have bastion, torbjorn, roadhog, symmetra, and zenyatta can't deal with her from close range other than kill her. she's fine

Baited. I aint reading any of this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

strong bird posted:

Baited. I aint reading any of this poo poo.

I have a very boring job that pays well so I can do things like this and make a lot of money while doing it :sun: