Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
memba this
This poll is closed.
goku 130 46.43%
goku 150 53.57%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
Bayer also sold Heroin to kids

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/y...nd-bronchitis-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Regular Nintendo posted:

Speaking of known moron Joe Buck, HBO gave him a show. Artie Lange, who is not fond of him, was one of the first guests and it went how you'd expect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj8y2Oi1lFk

I believe this was the first and last episode

E: there were 3 episodes lol

Inzombiac posted:

I don't know who the gently caress Joe Buck is but Artie Lang is a talentless child with mental issues.

I don't remember the details but Artie was not sober in this interview. Shortly after this he was released from the Howard Stern Show for nodding off on the air (high on heroin) and becoming physically violent to the staff. A few months later this he tried to commit suicide by drinking a bottle of Clorox but threw it all up. He then stabbed himself 20 times in the stomach with a chef's knife. He was saved by his mother and fellow comedian Colin Quinn who were coincidentally were coming over to take him to rehab.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bonzo posted:

I don't remember the details but Artie was not sober in this interview. Shortly after this he was released from the Howard Stern Show for nodding off on the air (high on heroin) and becoming physically violent to the staff. A few months later this he tried to commit suicide by drinking a bottle of Clorox but threw it all up. He then stabbed himself 20 times in the stomach with a chef's knife. He was saved by his mother and fellow comedian Colin Quinn who were coincidentally were coming over to take him to rehab.

drat, imagine being so rock bottom that you get saved by Colin Quinn...

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Bonzo posted:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-PSjutg7LI

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The falling asleep and attacking Teddy thing actually didn't get him fired. Most of the staff wanted to see him let go since he was fighting with everyone, but Howard kept turning a blind eye to it. They have never said exactly what ended the relationship, but it sounds like Artie just kept falling deeper in to addiction and lying about it until Howard decided the show wasn't good for him and he needed to step away. After some time away, Howard realized how hosed up the situation had gotten and Artie didn't clean up for another couple of years, so the relationship was over.

I (and essentially every other Howard fan) would kill for him to come in and talk about it. Artie mentioned on the podcast he would always be open to it, but for some reason Howard seems set on that never happening.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Substance abuse and humor are good friends. Most of the best material is dark as gently caress, and if you're in a place where that's all at the forefront in your mind, a little bit of vice keeps you going while you make other people laugh.

Also IBM provided the computers and the technicians (since the Germans couldn't figure their stuff out) that made rounding up minority groups for the holocaust possible! IBM brought modern solutions to slice through a record-keeping/indexing gordian knot.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/EVUYC2jzjUU?t=1h50m18s

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lifespan posted:

The falling asleep and attacking Teddy thing actually didn't get him fired. Most of the staff wanted to see him let go since he was fighting with everyone, but Howard kept turning a blind eye to it. They have never said exactly what ended the relationship, but it sounds like Artie just kept falling deeper in to addiction and lying about it until Howard decided the show wasn't good for him and he needed to step away. After some time away, Howard realized how hosed up the situation had gotten and Artie didn't clean up for another couple of years, so the relationship was over.

I (and essentially every other Howard fan) would kill for him to come in and talk about it. Artie mentioned on the podcast he would always be open to it, but for some reason Howard seems set on that never happening.

Artie wasn't the first staff member to have addiction issues, see KC Armstrong. There have also been a slew of Wack Packers that suffered from addiction, mental and physical issues. It was Stern's bread and butter.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Lifespan posted:

Stern has gotten super soft in recent years in terms of how he approaches poo poo on the show, I doubt he could ever bring Artie in again because it would necessitate something deeper than telling Gwen Steffani how pretty she is and asking her if she'll marry her celebrity boyfriend while Robin throws out really dumb questions that anyone paying attention already knew the answer to.

Fred still owns, though

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

cuck cuck im gay posted:

ahahaha it's so loving obvious he edited his own Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Edmondson

I'm way late on this but I know him and his family and they're exactly the sort of trash you'd expect.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Lifespan posted:

Look up "Artie Drug Stories" on YouTube (I would link it but phoneposting), he basically does exactly this. I think it's from 2011 or around there, so definitely past the whole "being out for 4 days" fiasco and the Teddy thing. Closest thing I think we'll ever get to hearing the full story unless he decides to rehash it on Artie Quitter.

gently caress, I love the HSS. I feel like I'm a part of these fuckers' lives as a result of it

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Look up "Artie Drug Stories" on YouTube (I would link it but phoneposting), he basically does exactly this. I think it's from 2011 or around there, so definitely past the whole "being out for 4 days" fiasco and the Teddy thing. Closest thing I think we'll ever get to hearing the full story unless he decides to rehash it on Artie Quitter.

gently caress, I love the HSS. I feel like I'm a part of these fuckers' lives as a result of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNFJaLC24JE&t=521s

Eventually we all find out that Artie has been on drugs since before the move to Sirius. He admitted that he paid off a doctor to sign off on his rebanb stint so that he could get insured and film the movie Beer League.

EDIT: The entire crew found out about Artie's addition to heroin when he slipped up in talking to a guest of the show. They were doing some kind of bit with homeless people and one guy mentions that was a recovering addict. Artie mentions that the guy should try Subutex, a opiate blocker. When asked about how he knew this, Artie admitted that he was taking it and revealed his "former" addiction.

Bonzo has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Sep 6, 2016

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Ah, I never added this up. He fell back in to addiction (well, never really kicked it) and it manifested as bitterness/anger and he just alienated the only friends he had left. Artie did mention on his podcast that there was no big catalyst, no huge fight or anything, they just went their own ways.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Bonzo posted:

EDIT: The entire crew found out about Artie's addition to heroin when he slipped up in talking to a guest of the show. They were doing some kind of bit with homeless people and one guy mentions that was a recovering addict. Artie mentions that the guy should try Subutex, a opiate blocker. When asked about how he knew this, Artie admitted that he was taking it and revealed his "former" addiction.

Here's the video you're thinking of, where he hosed up by bringing up his heroin addiction. Take a shot every time Artie says "I shouldn't have said anything" or "I regret bringing this up" and you might get close to as hosed up as he is/was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuPVNyDlBmU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

There's a huge 3 or 4 hour collection out there that shows how bad the addiction got and also sheds light on to why his girlfriend left him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought heroin made you skinny. I know it kept me skinny.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought heroin made you skinny. I know it kept me skinny.

There were plenty of jokes about that, but his food intake was legendary. Beyond how he ate in studio (keys to the vending machine), he pay his limo driver to bring him large pizzas that he would eat in a single sitting.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Booblord Zagats posted:

Stern has gotten super soft in recent years in terms of how he approaches poo poo on the show, I doubt he could ever bring Artie in again because it would necessitate something deeper than telling Gwen Steffani how pretty she is and asking her if she'll marry her celebrity boyfriend while Robin throws out really dumb questions that anyone paying attention already knew the answer to.

Fred still owns, though

Unfortunately it seems as though Stern has shifted toward amassing the biggest library of interviews regardless of content. I think this plays into his impending retirement but also the release of Howard360. I think the real reason why he won't have Artie on is the potential for poo poo to blow up in his face; Artie has mentioned Marci on several occasions now and I don't think he'd have any qualms about calling Howard on it mid-interview. The podcast does not have the same panache because no one gives a gently caress about random banter with people they don't care about, that's why there are 1000's of morning zoo's that no one has ever heard of/listened to.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Marci?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
AOL's notoriously scumbag CEO Tim Armstrong (remember when he publically complained about employees giving birth to babies that had medical problems?) actual fell for this because he is an idiot

https://twitter.com/timarmstrongaol/status/730198575037173764?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lifespan posted:

There were plenty of jokes about that, but his food intake was legendary. Beyond how he ate in studio (keys to the vending machine), he pay his limo driver to bring him large pizzas that he would eat in a single sitting.

Oh God, his breakfast alone...Hawaiian Punch, chocolate shakes, pancakes, etc. He mentions in one of his books that the local pizza place gave him free food for life because he plugged it on the show once ot twice and business doubled. Even after the owner died they would still bring food up to Artie at no expense.

Plus his mother comes over and prepares his meals for him so his diet is basically cheese and pasta.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
Hell while we're at it, a thing, that happened:

Howard Stern went from being the inventor of barnyard radio to being a generic talk-radio show over night by reading a self help book and firing the entirety of his staff. This operation is spearheaded by Marci Turk and is responsible for Howard's more 'PC' bent as of late.

E: adding

Examples of this are:
- No more Gilbert Gottfried
- Wendy the retard -> Wendy the Slow Adult
- No more crazy Alice
- Gary's office moved outside of the studio
- A cut down on Sal & Richard outside of phony phone calls
- The banning of Hanzi (he called Howard out on-air and was promptly dumped, only recorded East coast streams had the whole call)

Gay Weed Dad has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Sep 6, 2016

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Gay Weed Dad posted:

- No more Gilbert Gottfried
- Wendy the retard -> Wendy the Slow Adult
- No more crazy Alice
- Gary's office moved outside of the studio
- A cut down on Sal & Richard outside of phony phone calls
- The banning of Hanzi (he called Howard out on-air and was promptly dumped, only recorded East coast streams had the whole call)

Artie was definitely open about Howard's new take of rubbing elbows with A listers, but even he said the Turk thing was not really true:
-Gilbert does need to come back, but I am willing to bet it's that A lister thing more than his jokes.
-I actually like the name changes as "the retard" is pretty dated and childish now, even for a radio show built on blue humor.
-Alice's voicemails are still on, but she doesn't call in live because she is on the west coast and Howard picked up on her less once Artie left
-I thought Gary's office has been outside the studio since Sirius started?
-Sal has calmed down and Richard is still doing dumb poo poo (recent butt chugging and cock ring stunts)
-Hanzi was fun at first, but his calls got really bad. He never had anything funny to say and would just take personal shots at the staff and their families that lacked any wit. Eventually Howard just made it in to a two day bit to see if they could get him to freak out in a funny way and he just got worse, so they stuck to it.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

dick wizard posted:

I'm way late on this but I know him and his family and they're exactly the sort of trash you'd expect.

He's filthy rich I am assuming? Please say no

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
About 4 years ago, a Northern VT man channeled his own inner-Killdozer and pancaked half the county sheriffs department's cars in a tractor.

And Hell, while we're on Vermont cop news, a reminder that an inmate at a state penitentiary print shop altered the decals meant for state police cruisers to include a hidden pig.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Lifespan posted:

Artie was definitely open about Howard's new take of rubbing elbows with A listers, but even he said the Turk thing was not really true:

-Gilbert does need to come back, but I am willing to bet it's that A lister thing more than his jokes.

-I actually like the name changes as "the retard" is pretty dated and childish now, even for a radio show built on blue humor.

-Alice's voicemails are still on, but she doesn't call in live because she is on the west coast and Howard picked up on her less once Artie left

-I thought Gary's office has been outside the studio since Sirius started?

-Sal has calmed down and Richard is still doing dumb poo poo (recent butt chugging and cock ring stunts)

-Hanzi was fun at first, but his calls got really bad. He never had anything funny to say and would just take personal shots at the staff and their families that lacked any wit. Eventually Howard just made it in to a two day bit to see if they could get him to freak out in a funny way and he just got worse, so they stuck to it.

- I've heard him mention that he has spoken to former staffers and doesn't want to reveal anything outside of the 'culture' changing
- They've had just as many non-names as A listers recently; Eric Andre (although I think he is on the staff full time), Robert Smigel, the chick who does the Wendy impression from SNL
- Fair, but a notable change
- Barely, when was the last time you heard her rap? Listening to older stuff the last two weeks she couldn't be mentioned without 'chicken bone neck, cock-sucking jew'
- No, Gary's office was opposite Robin's; this office has a window that oversees the whole studio- this office now belongs to Marci; IDK why she would need such a thing seeing as how she is not on air/not to be mentioned on air
- You must not remember when they first came to Sirius but Sal and Richard were in daily with their antics
- While I agree with what you say about Hanzi it is a bit strange that his banning coincided with his outting of Marci. If the argument is that he is a shitcaller that was true from day one, and doesn't stop BoBo

I'm not saying I expected the show to stay the same forever. Nor would I say all of the old gags are in proper taste, but there was certainly a change and Marci's new management style occurred at exactly the same timeline.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

DrBouvenstein posted:

About 4 years ago, a Northern VT man channeled his own inner-Killdozer and pancaked half the county sheriffs department's cars in a tractor.

And Hell, while we're on Vermont cop news, a reminder that an inmate at a state penitentiary print shop altered the decals meant for state police cruisers to include a hidden pig.

If I was a cop, I'd petition to keep the new logo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Whenever this happens, I have a really hard time following what you guys are talking about. This is somehow worse than pro wrestling nerds going off about faces and heels.

Why is a radio show this complicated?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Why is a radio show this complicated?

Politics and Advertising Demographics.

Also here is a thing that actually happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vN_PEmeKb0

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Powercrazy posted:

Politics and Advertising Demographics.

Also here is a thing that actually happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vN_PEmeKb0

Wow. That is one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Sometimes crazy people are the best entertainment.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Pvt.Scott posted:

If I was a cop, I'd petition to keep the new logo.

okay but they have a test that weeds out people who aren't powertripping douches

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Gay Weed Dad posted:

I'm not saying I expected the show to stay the same forever. Nor would I say all of the old gags are in proper taste, but there was certainly a change and Marci's new management style occurred at exactly the same timeline.

Ok, now I really want Artie on to talk about the changes... which means it will never happen.

Back on topic, a crackhead sang "Amazing Grace" at a funeral:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpjyntdYH-U

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JediTalentAgent posted:

The Chicago Bears did a music video in the 80s for a hit song called The Superbowl Shuffle.

the clearly superior novelty nfl song is the LA Ram's Ram It!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxkKlzInR4Y

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the chargers have the best nfl song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whNOfvyPpaM

how can you not groove to this.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
i bet the first time a guy threw a ball through a hoop it was really cool but this whole nationalist machismo cult you sports fans espouse is creepy as gently caress

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lifespan posted:

Ok, now I really want Artie on to talk about the changes... which means it will never happen.

He's done some talk about it. Ask in the Stern chat thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3378673

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

dookifex_maximus posted:

i bet the first time a guy threw a ball through a hoop it was really cool but this whole nationalist machismo cult you sports fans espouse is creepy as gently caress

whatever, urkel

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

dookifex_maximus posted:

Just think of it like your WoW clan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

dookifex_maximus posted:

Your lunch money isn't coming back, it is time to move on dude.

• Locked thread