Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Are there separate ammo drops for weapons, or does each drop refill all held guns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
There are separate drops for each ammo type

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

This is best demonstrated by using the chainsaw and then opening up with a rapid fire weapon.
You'll stop picking ammo up, quickly, but there's still more around you.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alexeythegreat posted:

There are separate drops for each ammo type

Some guns share ammo types, however.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I also have to admit, I actually found the vacuum rune pretty useful. It guarantees that you get the maximum out of each glory kill or chainsaw kill, rather than missing something if you back off or strafe after making the kill, rather than dashing forwards. Then again, it may not be the optimal choice.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Its useful for bosses because the resources they shed now and then tend to require you to get real close to them to pick up.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Its useful for bosses because the resources they shed now and then tend to require you to get real close to them to pick up.

True, but if they drop resources, they're also staggered, and there's enough time, in my experience, to get enough ammo to keep on fighting.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The other question for me was "What else would be useful?" I tended to use a lot of glory-kill related runes in normal gameplay so in a context where that doesn't matter (and I never picked up on any pro-game-breaking combos) I just shrugged and picked what seemed OK. There were probably better choices.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GunnerJ posted:

There were probably better choices.

There are. Rich Get Richer and the one that gives Armor on Glory Kills. Then Siege Mode.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

There are. Rich Get Richer and the one that gives Armor on Glory Kills. Then Siege Mode.

Okay, about this, even though this is still very far away.

Once I get to that point further down the line, I will show how this particular combination of runes breaks the game in conjunction with the Siege Mode, the Stationary Turret, and maybe the Missile Launcher, but don't expect me to use it all the time, I want some form of a challenge. And I sure as Hell won't be abusing it against the bosses. :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It's time.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mai waifu :syoon:

But seriously though, this gun is the best reason to focus as many upgrades as you can on ammo (or armour, if you can get the relevant rune)- the longer you keep this firing, the better the game gets. :allears:

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
A bit late on this, but I just want to say that I love that DoomGuy's solution to "shut down the power" is to just break the drat things. "When all you have is a hammer" and all that.

Also, Mr. Stupid-Robot-Face, I don't care that you "solved" a huge energy crisis - the fact that said energy is literally coming from Hell (and is probably a good part of why your facility is being overrun by demons right now) kind of out-weighs any benefits. I mean, seriously, how stupid do you have to be for "let's drain energy from Hell" to sound like a good idea?

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Oh man I know at least half a dozen people who would flip at you calling the micro missiles useless.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

TBH, I never thought the SSG was all that awesome until I got it fully upgraded.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Apep727 posted:

A bit late on this, but I just want to say that I love that DoomGuy's solution to "shut down the power" is to just break the drat things. "When all you have is a hammer" and all that.

Also, Mr. Stupid-Robot-Face, I don't care that you "solved" a huge energy crisis - the fact that said energy is literally coming from Hell (and is probably a good part of why your facility is being overrun by demons right now) kind of out-weighs any benefits. I mean, seriously, how stupid do you have to be for "let's drain energy from Hell" to sound like a good idea?

It was safe!
*doom guy looks around facility full of dead guys, demons, and a whopping 3 survivors, two of which were digital/robotic and the last of which is a demon pawn*

GunnerJ posted:

TBH, I never thought the SSG was all that awesome until I got it fully upgraded.

It's initial state is a little lackluster, but once it gets rolling the fun doesn't stop

cokerpilot posted:

Oh man I know at least half a dozen people who would flip at you calling the micro missiles useless.

At the very least they're a really good mix with quad damage for an early/mid game everything dies button.
Plus :torgue:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

FoolyCharged posted:

It's initial state is a little lackluster, but once it gets rolling the fun doesn't stop

Yeah. It's a solid upgrade from the regular shotgun that gets better with each upgrade. For me though it never really shined until that last one.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Now isn't the time to go after english Alexey. We need to maintain a united front against the true enemy, non-Indo-European languages.

It's a shame the Super Shotgun doesn't get multiple mods the other guns.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
It's obvious as to why you're so angry at the start; yer simply channelling Doomguy.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I think my only issue with the super shotgun is how it makes the normal shotgun basically pointless(and the fact that the super shotgun conveys unwarranted feelings of immortality and omnipotence, making you take stupid risks... okay, that's not so much a downside as a really fun thing. Why carefully take out that Hell Knight if instead I can double jump over it while firing my super shotgun down at its head?). At least it did for me, I never went back and used it or its mods at all afterwards. It would've been nice if the SSG was an upgrade instead, so you could've used the same weapon mods for it without needing to swap down.

None of the other weapons quite make their predecessor meaningless in the same way, mostly because the closest thing you have to a straight upgrade on one weapon to another is the heavy rifle to the chaingun. Though oddly enough I never really used the chaingun much.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I think my only issue with the super shotgun is how it makes the normal shotgun basically pointless(and the fact that the super shotgun conveys unwarranted feelings of immortality and omnipotence, making you take stupid risks... okay, that's not so much a downside as a really fun thing. Why carefully take out that Hell Knight if instead I can double jump over it while firing my super shotgun down at its head?). At least it did for me, I never went back and used it or its mods at all afterwards. It would've been nice if the SSG was an upgrade instead, so you could've used the same weapon mods for it without needing to swap down.

None of the other weapons quite make their predecessor meaningless in the same way, mostly because the closest thing you have to a straight upgrade on one weapon to another is the heavy rifle to the chaingun. Though oddly enough I never really used the chaingun much.

The shotgun's grenade launcher is still useful. Good AOE damage at a low resource cost, delivered quick.

It does make the triple shot useless, but eh. Never really a fan of it in the first place.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Apep727 posted:

I mean, seriously, how stupid do you have to be for "let's drain energy from Hell" to sound like a good idea?

I like the way he mentions it took decades to sell humanity on the concept. Presumably the human race in general thought this was a loving stupid idea too.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FoolyCharged posted:

It was safe!
*doom guy looks around facility full of dead guys, demons, and a whopping 3 survivors, two of which were digital/robotic and the last of which is a demon pawn*

Much has been said about how the non-verbal Doomguy manages to say so much with just hand gestures and head movements, but I think this was one of the better scenes. As soon as Hayden goes on his 'this was all for humanity' shtick, Doomguy pauses- maybe the guy has a point? But then he looks at the massive helltower spewing infernal energies, and decides 'gently caress it, humanity can find another way'. Better another Dark Age- at least it's a future, and the Doomguy knows all too well what happens to worlds that let Hell break loose.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Actually, I use the regular shotgun as the go-to weapon for quad damage, because of its slightly faster rate of fire and much lower spread. So, for me, the Plamsa Rifle is made a lot more obsolete by the Railg... Gauss Cannon than the shotgun is by its Super counterpart. My fights starting with mission 6 literally go as such: 1) Use the Gauss Cannon until it's out of ammo, 2) Use SSG until it's out of ammo, 3) use whatever to clean up the remaining demons.

chiasaur11 posted:

The shotgun's grenade launcher is still useful. Good AOE damage at a low resource cost, delivered quick.

But you only get to that once you've run out of SSG ammo, which the grenade launcher also uses :v:

CommissarMega posted:

Much has been said about how the non-verbal Doomguy manages to say so much with just hand gestures and head movements, but I think this was one of the better scenes. As soon as Hayden goes on his 'this was all for humanity' shtick, Doomguy pauses- maybe the guy has a point? But then he looks at the massive helltower spewing infernal energies, and decides 'gently caress it, humanity can find another way'. Better another Dark Age- at least it's a future, and the Doomguy knows all too well what happens to worlds that let Hell break loose.

I don't know if they wanted the Doomguy to be the player's avatar, but if they have, they've failed spectacularly, and I'm glad they did!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

I don't know if they wanted the Doomguy to be the player's avatar, but if they have, they've failed spectacularly, and I'm glad they did!

I can agree with that; his whole :fuckoff: approach is definitely what sold me on this in from the very first video.

Also, how much longer is the game? Every video has me more and more interested in buying it. Also, for those on console, how does it play on PS4? If it's a terrible mess I'll probably have to give it a miss (crappy computer), but my interest is definitely piqued.

This is an acceptable/preferable reason for just about anything in this type of game. We always need more :torgue: in action games (the Marlow Briggs postulate).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

azren posted:

Also, how much longer is the game?

I think Alexy is... a third of the way through, I wanna say.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

I think Alexy is... a third of the way through, I wanna say.

Okay, that's pretty good.

Another bit of praise I forgot to give the game is how much I love the little touches; the way the Doomguy just pulls these heavy security doors open and some of the glory kills give a wonderful sense of power for the character/armor, and I'm infinitely pleased by the little "impact compensation" notification at the bottom of the screen when you fall from a height. It's like the game is telling you "nah, don't worry about falling damage, that's stupid and would get in the way of your ripping and tearing!"

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It's strange that this is one of the few games where I actually feel like someone in a heavy power-assisted suit with great strength and armour.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

azren posted:

I can agree with that; his whole :fuckoff: approach is definitely what sold me on this in from the very first video.

Also, how much longer is the game? Every video has me more and more interested in buying it. Also, for those on console, how does it play on PS4? If it's a terrible mess I'll probably have to give it a miss (crappy computer), but my interest is definitely piqued.

As GunnerJ said, the LP is about a third of the way into the game. A bit less, actually.
As for PS4, I hear (cannot confirm or deny) that it works just fine on consoles. I'm pretty sure FadingVoid did his LP on a console.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Alexeythegreat posted:

As for PS4, I hear (cannot confirm or deny) that it works just fine on consoles. I'm pretty sure FadingVoid did his LP on a console.

As I recall FadingVoid's LP was actually on the PC, but the clacking of his keyboard and/or mouse were so loud, he switched to a gamepad.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Yeah, sold. Chalk up a purchase thanks to this lp.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

azren posted:

Doom... Is good...

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

sebmojo posted:

Doom... Is good...

Always bet on Doom.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

azren posted:

I call that a win!

Klaus88 posted:

Always bet on Doom.

As long as it's not Doom 3, which is... an acquired taste.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Digital Foundry is always a good bet if you need to find out how a game runs on your platform of choice. I posted their Doom analysis here but that has too many spoilers so just look it up on youtube, but the gist is that the game runs well and looks good on consoles.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 11, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Oh, by the way.
Another praise that I didn't think of until just now is how great it is that Doom was not developed for consoles and ported to PC, but was developed clearly for PC first and foremost.
Not to say that all ports suck (Mankind Divided is a great port, for example), but still, that's how FPS should be made in the first place!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

...performing EFN maneuvers around vertical drops or overhead obstacles.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So basically you stopped them from fracking Hell, so now she's trying to enact Project Oilsand.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
So, humanity doesn't even have the excuse of "we didn't know the energy was coming from Hell" as a defense. I think the human race in this game maybe kinda deserves this.

As for the centering the weapons thing, I don't see how it makes aiming harder - you're literally looking down the gun's barrel, just shoot whatever's in front of you. I will admit, though, that most of the guns don't look nearly as good from that angle. It is a nice classic-Doom throw-back, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, what would a cult dedicated to going to hell BE if not filled with masochists?

Also, drat those imps give those fireballs some giddyup.

• Locked thread