Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I'm glad of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like to keep this thread bookmarked so I can find bad opinions any time I need a dose.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Genji can dash away and can maintain distance while pelting her with shurikens.

McCree can flash-FtH-punch and kill 250 hp characters. Killing in general is his only option for ever fighting anyone.

Pharah can jump away or concussion rocket Mei away.

Reaper can wraith form away.

S76 can prevent her from ever coming near him by just sprinting. He's hosed up if she's ever close to him and he's alone.

Tracer can blink and recall out of it.

Bastion can just murder her and everyone she loves, and if he's in turret form her freeze doesn't last long enough for her to run behind him.

Hanzo can either scatter arrow her and kill her instantly, headshot her to kill her instantly, or can climb a wall to escape her.

Junkrat can concussion mine between him and her and blow each other away from each other, and place a trap to keep her from closing distance.

Torbjorn can fight near his turret and have armor, and if he lands one shotgun on her before she freezes she is at a legitimate risk of turret death before she can finish him off.

Widowmaker can stand on top of a building and shoot her in the face, or if she's on the ground she can grapple hook away.

D.va can jet boost away.

Reinhardt can backwards hop and shield flicker to alternate him and his shield being hit, and can prevent her from freezing him by cycling the two. He can charge her and kill her instantly if she's in his face.

Roadhog can hook her and kill her.

Winston can dance in and out of his shield, and if that fails he can just jump away.

Zarya can bubble herself to put the freeze count back at zero, and can also bubble someone else if they're being frozen.

Ana can sleep dart her and slowly shuffle away.

Lucio can speed boost and wall ride and generally has hosed up if he's getting frozen by Mei.

Mercy can guardian angel away.

Symmetra is hosed in a 1v1 situation unless it's in a turret nest. Symmetra has hosed up if she is alone in general.

Zenyatta's only option is to kill anything that attacks him. He could pop transcendence but that would be a waste. If he's alone something is very wrong.

Just generally speaking if you're not with your teammates then you're wrong, and if Mei is using her primary fire for anything except for very important targets that need to be controlled the player is a dumbass. Things like nanoboosted targets need to be frozen, or heroes that are using channeled ults that haven't immediately turned them on her. If she doesn't just right click everything she is hamstringing her damage output and ultimate charge, and if she's taking one of the two DPS slots she is absolutely going to lose the game for the team.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

"reinhardt: boost away:" yeah so as I pivot to boost in a direction that isn't "hello other 5 enemies please kill me" i get frozen... uckily i can survive more mei encounters than most heroes.

but yes all the abilitiesthat remove player agency via stun are unfun to play against; iirc they came out and said it was a conscious decision where being able to have that many more characters/abilities brought about more fun plays than the frustration being unable to move/do anything would cause.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Wildtortilla posted:

You take back everything you've said about Mei. She's fun to play!

Can we trash talk Reaper's die die die move because nothing has caused me to yell at this game except die die die. It's a mountain of bullshit.

Reaper's ult is basically punishment for poor situational awareness. I mean I know that sounds kind of lovely and antagonistic but it really is one of those things that becomes less onerous and bullshit-feeling the more you grow accustomed to the maps and to checking elevated positions as well as keeping an ear out for clunky boots or "DEATH COMES" signaling an imminent death blossom. Defense matrix can eat it, Winston's shield stops it, stuns, hooks, charges, etc. all disrupt it, knocking him aside with concussive blasts/conc mines/doots can shove him far enough away to where it doesn't do as much damage, transcendence basically nullifies it...sound barrier does too but it has more of a casting time while transcendence happens instantly upon pressing the button...and of course there's the ever popular "Reaper gets instantly focused by five people and dies."

Like Reaper himself, death blossom is a pretty well balanced damage ult, it has limitations and vulnerabilities and can be easily countered in a number of ways, but it can be devastating if you set things up right. I highly recommend that anyone who thinks "man this ult is bullshit" give Reaper a try yourself and see how easy it is for you to clown on the enemy team because odds are you're going to be surprised by how difficult it is against people who aren't complete potatoes.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

You shouldn't try to boost away as Reinhardt because it exposes you too much. Just flicker your shield while hopping backwards from her, and the amount of time that it takes for her to get back through your shield will give you enough time to hop back again without getting frozen while your shield is down, then put it up again. It's a deadlock, but while she's trying to freeze you the rest of your team is hopefully shooting her in the face.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
For symmetra, your best option is to drop a turret on the ground and run away. It'll slow her down enough. Or hell, circle her and charge on her large rump.

Kai Tave posted:

Like Reaper himself, death blossom is a pretty well balanced damage ult, it has limitations and vulnerabilities and can be easily countered in a number of ways, but it can be devastating if you set things up right. I highly recommend that anyone who thinks "man this ult is bullshit" give Reaper a try yourself and see how easy it is for you to clown on the enemy team because odds are you're going to be surprised by how difficult it is against people who aren't complete potatoes.

I one day said "gently caress it, it can't be as bullshit as I think it is" and selected Reaper on Nepal.

Nailed both achievements my first round playing him. But quickplay, not comp.

:smith:

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 6, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you're a symmetra and a mei has gotten to you, something has gone very wrong with your team

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
it seems the quality of safety rail construction in the future will be awful

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Kashuno posted:

Mei is actually really good design

In a game that's as fast as this you feel like you should always be doing something. Even if doing that something is futile or counter productive. Having a mechanic that revolves around repeatedly creating situations where you do nothing is just a bad design in a game like this, regardless of if it's effective or not. Hence a match with Mei can rapidly become boring, tedious, and un fun, no matter the outcome. The wall power is much stronger than the freeze but never makes the match boring. Other characters stun/knockdowns are much more certain to lead to death and can feel a bit bullshit at times, but they aren't boring characters to deal with.

It's a characters who's real strength, the wall, is an interesting twist and could make for some good gameplay. But who's basic combat abilities of freezing make the game decidedly un fun when she's on the map.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

MysteriousStranger posted:

In a game that's as fast as this you feel like you should always be doing something. Even if doing that something is futile or counter productive. Having a mechanic that revolves around repeatedly creating situations where you do nothing is just a bad design in a game like this, regardless of if it's effective or not. Hence a match with Mei can rapidly become boring, tedious, and un fun, no matter the outcome. The wall power is much stronger than the freeze but never makes the match boring. Other characters stun/knockdowns are much more certain to lead to death and can feel a bit bullshit at times, but they aren't boring characters to deal with.

It's a characters who's real strength, the wall, is an interesting twist and could make for some good gameplay. But who's basic combat abilities of freezing make the game decidedly un fun when she's on the map.

What you should be doing while stunned/frozen is typing "gg ez" into all chat.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Her freeze having a bigger AoE effect but never freezing a single target solid might be an interesting choice that makes her more of a support character instead of someone who just flat-out immobilizes a single target. It might dumpster her, it might make her more frustrating, or both.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
A real mei will icicle you from afar, freeze you up close, say "hello at you" and then punch you in the face while you are frozen.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Imagine a stall character with more than one stall mechanic!!!!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
My prediction is that after Reddit and Battlenet make thousands of posts complaining about Mei that they'll finally go back and recalculate her ult charge rate to compensate for her self-healing and the return of her generous projectile hitboxes so it no longer charges so quickly. They won't do anything to her M1.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
what if mei's m1 slowed them up to 75% or something but never fully freezes them

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Ana's ult charge rate is a hell of a lot more annoying than anything about Mei. Unless you're playing Ana, then it's super fun.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The ult has at least stopped me from cringing when my teammates select Mei.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

what if mei's m1 slowed them up to 75% or something but never fully freezes them

Then either it lasts 2-3x as long or you rework her character.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Maybe if it had a bigger cone to freeze more at once or something

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't get this "your fault for not being with your team" comments. A decent amount of characters are designed to flank or sneak up on people.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Justin_Brett posted:

I don't get this "your fault for not being with your team" comments. A decent amount of characters are designed to flank or sneak up on people.

Mei is supposed to be an anti-flanker and she's pretty good at it 1v1. You shouldn't be flanking a route alone if there's a mei there

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Me and an enemy D.va managed to get in some retarded duel where each of us could do enough to force the other to eject but not finish off the meaty part. This somehow happened three times in a row in the same cramped hallway without either of us dying until I finally managed to bludgeon the other zero suit D.va to death with my mech. Welcome to silver rank!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Justin_Brett posted:

The characters designed to flank have the most tools to deal with mei. All the comments about not being alone are for people like zen or sym

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Justin_Brett posted:

Most of the characters people think of as flankers are the ones with abilities most well-suited to disengaging/escaping from Mei in the first place, but even then flankers shouldn't be roaming incredibly far from their team most of the time, someone who thinks that because they're Reaper they can be half the map away from their team is probably in for a bad time.

It's also a matter of tactics. Seeing a Mei on the enemy team should be a cue to people to not go roaming off blindly to try for that sick flanking ult PotG. "Flankers" can work just as well when staying relatively close to their team.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Winston/D.va/Genji makes for a really funny deathball because you can just slam into a team from the front and deal 125 damage between the jump pack, swift strike, and mech bumping people with its thrusters. They're usually used as flankers, but can serve perfectly well as a mobile spearhead for the offensive by just sticking with the team as a whole.

Flankers are designed to attack characters that are being protected from forward attack by the opposing mainliners. Their job isn't to attack a team while alone. They're not contributing anything to the team if the rest of the players can't leverage their picks and damage done. Flankers that run off and fight alone are generally the ones that actively inhibit a team from winning.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 6, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

she'd die a lot because her freeze does like 45 dps

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
"Waaaaah Guys Waaaah Mei is unfun to play against because she freezes you!" said the Goon as he gets trapped/pinned/blackholed/carwashed/hammer downed/hooked/flashbanged/air-blasted and booped off an edge.

Take all those things away and you get another generic shooter, CoD is -> that way you fun-haters.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Thor-Stryker posted:

"Waaaaah Guys Waaaah Mei is unfun to play against because she freezes you!" said the Goon as he gets trapped/pinned/blackholed/carwashed/hammer downed/hooked/flashbanged/air-blasted and booped off an edge.

Take all those things away and you get another generic shooter, CoD is -> that way you fun-haters.

rofl

strong bird
May 12, 2009

We got ourselves a cuck, boys!

strong bird
May 12, 2009

*spits through teeth* loving GOONS, said the regdate 2005

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Manatee Cannon posted:

she'd die a lot because her freeze does like 45 dps

im ok with this

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The struggle is real, Mei is bae.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
mei is dumb because either youre too close to her and you lose or youre not too close and you win and then shell throw a little robot head that stops all enemy progress for 5 seconds and thats it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mei's alt fire is really good and I'm sad that most people don't seem to get that

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Hanzo can fire ghost dragons and wolves that stop enemy progress for several seconds too.

Mei is the most unique character in the game and is fun and good.

all the ladies say I
Aug 24, 2005

Acción de Espionaje Táctico

Commoners posted:

You shouldn't try to boost away as Reinhardt because it exposes you too much. Just flicker your shield while hopping backwards from her, and the amount of time that it takes for her to get back through your shield will give you enough time to hop back again without getting frozen while your shield is down, then put it up again. It's a deadlock, but while she's trying to freeze you the rest of your team is hopefully shooting her in the face.

LOL if the Mei didn't put a wall between the Reinhardt and the rest of the team preventing you from this fabled speed boost from jumping backwards and isolating the Reindeer from his healers and team.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
What's cooler than being cool?

Playing Mei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think Mei and Zarya would be much better if you could see a footprint of their AOE before firing it off. Very similar to the foot print of Mei's wall.