Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BitBasher posted:

Why are these people not irate that your modded ship gear isn't lost forever when your ship is destroyed? I mean your insurance company can't duplicate one of a kind mods, it should obviously just give the ship back with the base part unmodded. It's damaging to my immersion!

There are poo poo tons of ease of life things that are here.

Usually, they say that either that's a "placeholder" for some future realism that hasn't been added yet and is therefore totally acceptable, or they go for the full subjectivity argument of "well, those are things I wouldn't want simulated anyway so those concessions to gameplay don't hurt my immersion, but ship transfer totally destroys my image of the realistic galaxy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

StarkRavingMad posted:

Why even have a delay? Delays aren't fun, it doesn't add anything to the game.

tooterfish posted:

Therefore, transfers, should be instant.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
There isn't any middle ground between no transfers and instant transfers. Any timer or anything like that takes away from gameplay and in any other situation would kick off a :frontear: circlejerk.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
When you hit Elite rank the Pilot's Federation should give you free 2-day shipping.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The thread on the Frontier forums is a fantastic read if you enjoy the tears of the poor fools lamenting over how instant transfers break everything the game stands for.

I've been enjoying myself there.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Actually thinking about it one remotely plausible justification for non-instant transfers could be if there was some BGS/powerplay stuff affecting it that could actually give some interesting topology to the galaxy.

Like if player groups could actually fight to string together high wealth/traffic systems to create favorable shipping rates between areas of the bubble then that might be interesting and give people something to actually do. Way beyond Frontier at this point though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Naw. It needs to be instant or not exist. In what game is it appropriate for the designer to go "okay I know you want to do thing but you need to wait a half hour because reasons"? Credit cost is the only real balance it needs.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

timn posted:

Actually thinking about it one remotely plausible justification for non-instant transfers could be if there was some BGS/powerplay stuff affecting it that could actually give some interesting topology to the galaxy.

Like if player groups could actually fight to string together high wealth/traffic systems to create favorable shipping rates between areas of the bubble then that might be interesting and give people something to actually do. Way beyond Frontier at this point though.

Even then, why even bother with delays? Just make the thing standings or politics dependent if you want to maintain consistency of those kinds of long-term consequences of choices — if you're opposed to the controlling faction, you can't ship there.

You still arrive at the only sane choice being between instant/non-existing, only the “non-existing” bit is now conditional.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

timn posted:

But then the same people who are pushing for transfers to take time would cry loudly that Frontier was turning the game into EVE.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, not saying it's a good idea. Just saying it would no longer be a completely arbitrary "let's make this punishing for literally no reason" thing. It would be a "let's make this more or less punishing based on circumstances to try to drive interesting player choice" thing. Credits is a better lever for it, but is kind of tired because it's the only lever for anything. It's funny because there is plenty else in the game that is effectively a tax on the player's time, just not in the form of an explicit countdown timer.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
I'll just leave this here:

quote:

The introduction of even a minor delay (say 5 minutes for a 100ly transfer)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Ok, i want to learn flight assist: off.
Problem: it doesnt have a joystick deadzone appearently.

Alternate flight controls DO have a deadzone, so i could maybe use FA:O, BUT they invert my yaw and roll with no option to change. When i push the stick left, the ship rolls right.
How do i make my ship roll left on pushing left?
Same with yaw?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The real problem is how much this instant transfer thing is going to cut into my youtube time. How am I supposed to catch up on RLM without having to truck my corvette back and forth across the bubble 15ly per jump?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ok, i want to learn flight assist: off.
Problem: it doesnt have a joystick deadzone appearently.
It defaults to your normal controls. Can't you set up a deadzone there?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

It defaults to your normal controls. Can't you set up a deadzone there?

No, only alternate have deadzones, thats my primary problem.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yolomon Wayne posted:

No, only alternate have deadzones, thats my primary problem.
They hid them. Try looking under the [+] tabs.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
imagine a collection of facepalms right here.....

Thanks though, ill go fly into some asteroids.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

timn posted:

When you hit Elite rank the Pilot's Federation should give you free 2-day shipping.

Yeah but you should have to get the voucher shipped to you from shinrarta dezhra first

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.
Instant transfer is the only sensible choice.

Surely it could even be justified in the Frontier fluff -- quantum entangled 3D printing. :haw:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It's funny because my gut reaction was "Instant sounds a little dumb, it shouldn't be punishing but there should be a wait."

Then I thought out literally any situation where I would want to use ship transfer and the scenario in my head made me realize that literally I would just not be playing the game while I waited for my ship without exception.

I'm still a giant stickler for immersion but if anything a wait would end up less immersive because I would be walking away from the game. I don't know what Brown Sailors expect they'll be doing while they wait for their ships to move.

I think my caveat to this would be some kind of limit or different approach to Jacques and the new bubble, unless it expands dramatically and most ships and equipment can be bought there anyway. Part of the charm of that for the space mad in me is the lack of accessibility, equipment, etc. I like the idea that if I want to go there and mine, maybe I have to choose between lugging a full mining kit out there, or deal with a suboptimal loadout that they sell. It feels a little more rugged and wild.

You might call it a new...Frontier. :downs:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Naw. It needs to be instant or not exist. In what game is it appropriate for the designer to go "okay I know you want to do thing but you need to wait a half hour because reasons"? Credit cost is the only real balance it needs.

Please do not say that or they will make you pay 75% price of the full ship to move it, or the cost of 2 rebuys, or something just as ridiculous. If it's a convenience it should be fast AND cheap, relatively speaking.

Just remember the times when the Vulture hull was supposed to cost 40 millions, and the FdL something like 120 million. Or when repairing a hull from 50% would cost almost as much as a new ship, or when they upped fuel costs and a refuel costed like 150k (and let's remember those were the days when a CG paid 100k-500k tops, and average bounties for wanted NPCs were in the range 2k - 15k instead of the 20k-150k we have today)

:frontear: doesn't know how to balance money, and I don't trust them having learned anything at all :colbert:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 6, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
These people going 'it shouldn't be instant!' should also complain that if their ship gets destroyed that they should need to wait to get rescued by a ship and brought to their latest port they were at, OR the starting port in the starting sidewinder.

Realism, ho!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My immersion and realism demands that every time you buy cargo that you have to wait for a loading crew and their forklifts to come on shift, move all your boxes from the warehouse and load them onto your ship one by one.

If loading takes any less than several hours of real time stuck in the hangar with background audio of beeping forklift sounds then :argh:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Civil Unrest state should lead to a General Strike state where you can't undock because there is nobody working the control tower to release the docking clamps.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

When a system is in a war state, there should be a random chance that a death squad pulls you out of your ship after you land at a space station, and executes you, and then you can never play the game again, because you're dead

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That's ridiculous you can play the game again. You just have to start over with a new commander.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DatonKallandor posted:

That's ridiculous you can play the game again. You just have to start over with a new commander.

Maybe if you buy a new game license key, sure :smug:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
When my ship gets blown up I wish I would have to actually submit an insurance claim to the Pilot's Federation and roleplay explaining the incident to an insurance agent over the phone with one of Frontier's community managers.

I mean uh, that's totally what I bet those dumb brown sea grognards would want. Yeah.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Rah! posted:

When a system is in a war state, there should be a random chance that a death squad pulls you out of your ship after you land at a space station, and executes you, and then you can never play the game again, because you're dead
Wasn't this a feature on the ZX Spectrum version of '84 Elite? :corsair:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I want to fail my Federation money laundering checks and be unable to access my credits until I mail fdev proof of identity

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
When I turn in bounties I have to spend 3 hours filling in the paperwork and then wait a week for it to be processed, and then my payment gets delayed anyway because I left Section 42:(f) blank.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I hope when station walking is implemented I hope I can lock my keys in my ship and then wait the (appropriate) amount of time for space-AAA to come slim jim it open.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Excuse me, reincarnation is unrealistic and will ruin MY IMMERSION

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Excuse me, reincarnation is unrealistic and will ruin MY IMMERSION

Only Buddhists can play this game currently.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
New Features coming in update 2.3 - now titled "The Bureaucrats!"
  • Want to survive ship destruction? Better equip the new "Eject Pod" module, but be careful: it can be damaged or made inoperable by damage!*
  • After your ship is destroyed, if you used an Escape Pod, take in the sights as you sip coffee and eat biscuits after being rescued by the new Dolphin Rescue Ship, which will return you to the nearest starport (travel time based on system economy/state)!
  • Did you buy insurance? Our new Immersion Engine now allows you to fill out insurance forms in order to file a claim on your lost ship! Better make sure to sign in triplicate, errors and typos increase the risk of your claim being rejected!
  • While you wait for your claim to be examined, feel free to purchase a new ship or, if you bought Platinum-Level Insurance, you will be provided with a rental-ship (worth at least 75% of the value of your lost ship) while you wait!

*This is an actually proposed feature...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

• Want to survive ship destruction? Better equip the new "Eject Pod" module, but be careful: it can be damaged or made inoperable by damage!*
*This is an actually proposed feature...
Uh, yeah what of it? :colbert:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

When my ship gets blown up I wish I would have to actually submit an insurance claim to the Pilot's Federation and roleplay explaining the incident to an insurance agent over the phone with one of Frontier's community managers.
"You know how on some of the outposts there are like 4 fuel balls rafted together? Well it seemed big enough for me to fit through and I was right about that much, the cockpit seemed to have no problems fitting between them. Turns out the rest of my ship that I forget about because I never really get to see it is MUCH larger than I remember and I got myself wedged in there pretty good. I was getting not a speck of movement with any direction of thrusters, boost or flight assist, so as a last ditch effort I deployed my landing gear. The extra dimension seemed to have caused some sort of "anomaly field" in which I started to vibrate at a high frequency which drained my shields and destroyed my ship before I could get the gear back in. It was the other driver's fault though so my rates should not increase."*

*true story

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

tooterfish posted:

Uh, yeah what of it? :colbert:

Casuals am I right :jerkbag:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It was to be part of an entirely optional ironman mode...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I haven't played this game on a few weeks. I just learned about borrego orbital and now I'm all sorts of inclined to go out and see this station pass through the rings. This game is just amazing sometimes.

I can't make sense of sothis. I got there but there's only two stations and neither have that many mission, none with these bio waste missions. Which station are you guys docking at? Is it because I haven't explored the other Suns in the system yet?

• Locked thread