Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Dr. Fetus posted:

Thank goodness that never took off. Also kinda funny how we never even actually got that event TM in the first place.

The move (Snarl) is loving dogshit anyway. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

StandardVC10 posted:

It was good that BW made you use the new Pokes, but that also made it necessary to make a bunch of designs that were just kind of retreads (looking at you, Unfezant family.)

You mean the regional bird that's in EVERY generation? :v:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Aether foundation members are your friends, and they will appear in your adventure like your friends in XY.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What were the differences between bw and b2w2? Did it have the same starters and main characters and gym leaders or were they different?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Reinanigans posted:

The very idea could have led to worse. I'm seriously wondering what they were thinking there.

Though I guess it's a moot point since event only moves are a thing now, even if most of them aren't that great in the grand scheme of things.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

But she isn't drawn creepy

She's happy and smiling

Her smile is creepy and her eyes look dead. This is a matter of opinion so feel free to interpret her however you like but I stand by what I said. She looks like she's planning some awful poo poo to me.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Emalde posted:

it would take a lot more sentences here than i'm willing to write about standard anime face design traits, compiled against the history of named pokemon characters, but he's not wrong

I want to hear this explanation, please post it. Not because I care about the argument, but because I find insider knowledge about obscure minutiae like this very fascinating.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

What were the differences between bw and b2w2? Did it have the same starters and main characters and gym leaders or were they different?

B/W2 was a sequel. Different protagonists, same starters and 6/8 of the gym leaders were the same.

It also added a ton of old pokemon to Unova and had you go to a few different towns.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Same starters and region, mostly the same gym leaders (though they had updated designs and new teams), and completely different everything else.

Edit:

Zore posted:

B/W2 was a sequel. Different protagonists, same starters and 6/8 of the gym leaders were the same.

It also added a ton of old pokemon to Unova and had you go to a few different towns.

5/8 gym leaders. Roxie, Cheren and the Water leader were different

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg0jS6F4M10
Lusamine.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Calaveron posted:

They're direct sequels set in the same region. The map expands a bit to include Poke-New Jersey, a few of the gym leaders change, the pokedex is wildly expanded, and you get the usual slew of third version enhancements. Plot is completely different (since it's a sequel) instead of being slightly different like in Emerald or Platinum. The starters are the same.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I love that the crazy chimera monster is a Normal type pokemon.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
And most importantly of all, they introduce the World Tournament. Have you ever wanted to battle literally all the past gym leaders and champions AND Red with fairly intelligent teams? Then B2W2 is the game for you! Sadly, they decided not to include the Elite 4 members, but eh.

Oh yeah, and the Pokémon movies mini-game which I didn't care for, but I know a lot of people liked. It's the second most interesting mini-game behind Pokéathalon, though Poké-Finder looks like it will become the new #1.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Cicadas! posted:

I want to hear this explanation, please post it. Not because I care about the argument, but because I find insider knowledge about obscure minutiae like this very fascinating.

the short version in anime (and most cartoon media):

an honest/pure smile is reflected in the eyes with raised eyebrows

a dishonest/impure smile is reflected in the eyes with raised cheeks around the zygomatic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Reinanigans posted:

And most importantly of all, they introduce the World Tournament. Have you ever wanted to battle literally all the past gym leaders and champions (sadly not the Elite 4) with fairly intelligent teams? Then B2W2 is the game for you!

Oh yeah, and the pokémon movies mini-game which I didn't care for, but I know a lot of people liked. It's the second most interesting mini-game behind Pokéathalon, though Poké-Finder looks like it will become the new #1.

True to form, everything cool or interesting added in a third version or remake is immediately thrown into the trash can and forgotten

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i didnt like that the pokemon they used in the world tournament had random genders and abilities. they should stay consistent

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Emalde posted:

the short version in anime (and most cartoon media):

an honest/pure smile is reflected in the eyes with raised eyebrows

a dishonest/impure smile is reflected in the eyes with raised cheeks around the zygomatic

wicke is good and honest, and i love her

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zore posted:

You think Lysandre was worse than Cyrus (who tried to unmake reality), or Ghetsis (who literally abused a child he raised, later tried to murder him and you and almost succeeded destroying the Unova league and region)?

The narrative of most pokemon games has the evil team leader's goal be incredibly dark considering how their henchmen are mostly light comic relief.

I never played Platinum so all I got was the D/P plot with Cyrus and I barely remember that, so I'll admit that he could be more serious than I remember. Ghestis though was just you're standard bad dude trying to take over the world. All the stuff with N was just silly, mainly because N was a tremendous loser.

Reinanigans posted:

Its actually a situationally good move in doubles because it hits both pokemon with the -spatk. You can see it used by intimidate spam teams to cover their weakness to special attackers.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 6, 2016

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zore posted:

This is mostly true.

But the absolute garbage pokemon pacing kills it for me. They spoonfeed pokemon way too slowly, lock a ton of great designs at the end of the game, jacked up the EXP curve something fierce (Hydreigon evolving at 64, Volcarona at 59, etc. means in any game with a mix of generations Gen V dudes lag loving hard and are almost impossible to use).

I would replay it more, but you only experience the story once before you tune it out. And B/W sorta force you to use the same team up to the 4th gym which is ridiculous and lock a good 30% of all pokemon to super late and post game.

before the 4th gym you can get: lillipup, munna, blitzle, pidove, woobat, drillbur, roggenrola, tympole, throh, sawk, audino, timburr venepede, petilil/cottonee, sewaddle, scraggy, darumaka, sandile, sigilyph, maractus, yamask, archen/tirtouga, dwebble, minccino, trubbish, gothita/solosis, probably some other poo poo

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm going to team up with plumeria and kick wicke's rear end, and then we're going to kiss

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

sharrrk posted:

i'm going to team up with plumeria and kick wicke's rear end, and then we're going to kiss

You're both going to jail, which is also owned by Aether.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

mabels big day posted:

The Aether foundation members are your friends, and they will appear in your adventure like your friends in XY.

sure buddy, just remember to say no when they offer you some nice koolaid

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sharrrk posted:

when's the wedding ?? ahhahaha. i need three weeks notice for work

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Ruggington posted:

before the 4th gym you can get: lillipup, munna, blitzle, pidove, woobat, drillbur, roggenrola, tympole, throh, sawk, audino, timburr venepede, petilil/cottonee, sewaddle, scraggy, darumaka, sandile, sigilyph, maractus, yamask, archen/tirtouga, dwebble, minccino, trubbish, gothita/solosis, probably some other poo poo

:yeah:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ruggington posted:

That's way too few.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

That's way too few.

maybe you should've bumped some monsters down to early routes then bub

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Aether and Skull are going to go through a corporate merger

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I might complete my pokedex today

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Ruggington posted:

Tirtouga doesn't count because Archen is the clear correct choice that you will always take.

Flying is hard, guys!

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

mabels big day posted:

That's way too few.

you could also get a level 35 Volcarona like before the 4th gym right? I think it was in some ruins.

First one I caught was Modest with 31 in Speed and Special Attack.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The Darmanitan I got from the Unova competition is calm :ughh:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Super No Vacancy posted:

I might complete my pokedex today

how's that going

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lupus Rufus posted:

you could also get a level 35 Volcarona like before the 4th gym right? I think it was in some ruins.

First one I caught was Modest with 31 in Speed and Special Attack.

thats bw2, which doesnt have this problem

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Tirtouga doesn't count because Archen is the clear correct choice that you will always take.

Flying is hard, guys!

the one time I picked tirtouga i immediately regretted it

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Tirtouga is great because it's Master Roshi's turtle, but it's hard to justify ever using it when Archen and Jellicent exist. You got your Rock type covered with Archen and your Water with Jellicent. I mean...it just can't compete.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Tirtouga and Archen both suck but tirtouga sucks slightly less because its a turtle

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ruggington posted:

You're forgetting the monkeys.

on the other hand, in Gen 1 before the 4th gym you could get

pidgey, rattata, spearow, mankey/meowth, nidoranM, nidoranF, caterpie, weedle, pikachu, sandshrew, onix, diglett, jigglypuff, clefairy, zubat, magikarp, geodude, paras, venonat, oddish/bellsprout, growlithe/vulpix, goldeen, ditto, abra, eevee, doduo, kanghaskan, rhyhorn, far'fetch'd, scyther/pinsir, chansey, drowzee, poliwag, diglett, ekans/sandshrew, psyduck, machop, shellder, gastly, cubone, krabby, eggexcute, hitmonlee, hitmonchan, horsea, staryu, lickitung, tauros, dratini, voltorb, slowpoke, magnemite (y)

and every other gen besides Gen V has more than that.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Tirtouga and Archen both suck but tirtouga sucks slightly less because its a turtle

archen rules, moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oddium posted:

how's that going

pretty good. no one ever told me breeding guys with a ditto was so easy. either that or i have earths horniest ditto. just gotta farm some evo stones and run the blissey base a couple times