Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lol brain fart, the point still stands though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
The US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce wants to put a Taco Truck at every polling site this November: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11705080

I think you elections just took a turn for the positive. If I'm lucky, I can get a steak-and-cheese pie and a Lamington after voting.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

straight up brolic posted:

What is the point, again? Anyone regular posting ITT already knew that HRC is historically unloved. It's a direct result of decades of ref-working by the GOP.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Hey goons, with respect to the news posted recently about the native american protesters and the pipelines being built on what they claim are ritual lands:

Aren't native american nations treated as sovereign lands? Is the land in question not undisputed native american lands?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

No.

http://www.gallup.com/opinion/polling-matters/192362/clinton-negatives-among-dems-sanders.aspx

quote:

Clinton is seen favorably by 67% of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents, while 28% see her unfavorably.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Trump is Joffrey if he didn't eat that pie.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Hey goons, with respect to the news posted recently about the native american protesters and the pipelines being built on what they claim are ritual lands:

Aren't native american nations treated as sovereign lands? Is the land in question not undisputed native american lands?

Yep, but it turns out if you ignore them, you can do whatever you want on their land!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I literally just posted that. That's +39 in her own party (which is not good). Obama was +45 with the entire electorate

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Trump is Joffrey if he didn't eat that pie.

Would that make Pence Pycelle and Hillary Lady Stoneheart?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Obama was at 70% favorability nationally (not just dems) on Nov 6-8 2008. I'm still not sure what point the poster in question is trying to make, though

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

I literally just posted that. That's +39 in her own party (which is not good). Obama was +45 with the entire electorate

28% of her own party is significant?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Distorted Kiwi posted:

The US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce wants to put a Taco Truck at every polling site this November: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11705080

I think you elections just took a turn for the positive. If I'm lucky, I can get a steak-and-cheese pie and a Lamington after voting.

called it :colbert:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

28% of her own party is significant?
Yes.

For reference: Only 33% of Republicans view Trump unfavorably.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Yes.

And Obama was at 19% unfavorable in the primaries among that same subset.

Clinton being only 9 points off isn't that troubling given the amount of poo poo thrown at her for the past 25+ years.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The reason nobody ever includes "independents" in these things is because nobody cares about them, nobody will ever care about them, and they're idiots who just show up every 4 years to be unsure out loud and wait for people to fall over them for their cautious thoughtfulness

That and they have no actual ideology and shift it constantly to make whoever they're talking to happy. Trump is an independent who just so happens to believe in 99% of what a party is all about, just like most independents

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

and yet she is +1 in Texas

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Well sure if you only consider the 2^8th most likely outcomes from before politics went off the rails. If you consider all states a toss-up, he has 2^50 paths!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Munkeymon posted:

Well sure if you only consider the 2^8th most likely outcomes from before politics went off the rails. If you consider all states a toss-up, he has 2^50 paths!

Want to see the path to victory where Trump loses every state but still wins the election.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Want to see the path to victory where Trump loses every state but still wins the election.

In a 4-4 decision sent to the house...

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's across the Missouri (which is a lake there). I think they're complaining about burial grounds that are outside the reservation (but they may still retain the rights to re-inter remains if the site is disturbed). And they're worried that digging the pipeline under the Missouri might gently caress up the river.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yes.

:supaburn::supaburn:28 PERCENT!!!!!!!:supaburn::supaburn:
vs

only 33%

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

And Obama was at 19% unfavorable in the primaries among that same subset.

Clinton being only 9 points off isn't that troubling given the amount of poo poo thrown at her for the past 25+ years.
That's amongst all candidates, not just Dems and leaners

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Duke Igthorn posted:

:supaburn::supaburn:28 PERCENT!!!!!!!:supaburn::supaburn:
vs

only 33%

The idea is supposedly that Republicans hate Trump overall, rather than it being a segment of the party and the party's political elite that mainly have negative feelings about him.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

That's amongst all candidates, not just Dems and leaners

Scroll to about 2/3 down.

quote:

Barack Obama Favorable Ratings by Subgroup, Based on All Americans

It provides crosstabs for all subgroups.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

There's also a pretty big difference between "viewed unfavorably" and "despised". Love this pattern of hyperbolic statement -> more reasonable goalpost shift.

"Henry Kissinger endorsed Clinton!" -> "He didn't officially endorse her but he considered it" -> "He never considered it but he seems to like her 'informally'"

"Clinton is despised by most of the nation!" -> "Her net unfavorability among democratic voters is marginally higher than Obama's for the same period in his election"

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Obama's nationwide favorability was +55, Hillary's is -15 lmao

You're using the favorable-only number for Obama and the difference between favorable and unfavorable for Clinton.

That's apples to oranges. I mean, you're right--Hillary Clinton has far worse favorables than Barack Obama. But at least compare the same numbers.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Two weeks into office Hillary's favorables will jump.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Scroll to about 2/3 down.

It provides crosstabs for all subgroups.
Oh, good call. You're right. Crazy how well liked he was amongst Republicans to finish only 25% pre-election

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

FairGame posted:

You're using the favorable-only number for Obama and the difference between favorable and unfavorable for Clinton.

That's apples to oranges. I mean, you're right--Hillary Clinton has far worse favorables than Barack Obama. But at least compare the same numbers.
70-25

40-55

?

(was on my phone and slipped up on the difference for the Obama number)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

DemeaninDemon posted:

Two weeks into office, Trump is still pretending he won it and he starts Presidenting out of Trump Tower.
The media cover his daily press briefings in the Trump Tower Bar and Grill in full.
President Hillary gets 10 seconds from the White House press room.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 6, 2016

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Nessus posted:

and yet she is +1 in Texas

According to a worthless online opt-in poll.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

theflyingorc posted:

Again, explain what the difference is between the Clinton's relationship to their charity and their relationship to the Democratic Party. Nobody would blink at Hillary doing fundraising for the Democrats, and every potential conflict of interest applies there just as much. What's the difference?

You're asking this like fundraising isn't actually a well-recognized problem, which Hillary Clinton has an issues section about on her website. More importantly, the laws restricting what you can donate and how transparent it is are far more strict than the laws on campaign donations. Foreign nationals cannot donate to candidates. Also, as I pointed out earlier, even for a private charity the Clinton Foundation is not particularly transparent - here's a Current Affairs article about the subject: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2016/08/the-clinton-foundations-problems-are-deeper-than

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It generally does because there isn't personal gain being obtained. Like thats, again, where a lot of these claims fall short. What personal gain would Clinton get from someone donating to the Foundation?

I don't agree that having someone donate to your family's powerful personal charity isn't a form of personal gain. I feel like if they weren't the Clintons, and they weren't already elite-squared, the level of access, power and influence represented by the Clinton Foundation would be unquestionable. I'm somewhat devil's advocating here, I don't feel that outraged, but I do think it's a perfectly reasonable argument. It feels like there's a strange standard here, where 10K in a duffle bag is clearly personal gain, but millions from awful human-rights violators, clearly intended as a way of gaining influence, to a charitable foundation that has you rubbing shoulders with the world's elites is worth barely a shrug.

Did Clinton conduct herself ethically within the context of the situation? Maybe, probably I hope. What makes me angry is much less the CF, but Clinton's pattern of doing a lovely job of transparency and avoiding these ethical problems in the first place. This is part and parcel with the e-mail server, and then her lovely handling of the e-mail server story, and now her lovely handling of her relationship with the Clinton Foundation, along with her bad relationship with the press and the public. By her actions she makes it seem like just doesn't give a poo poo about this stuff, and that disturbs me, especially with how Obama ran his white house.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 6, 2016

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

happyhippy posted:

Two weeks into office, Trump is still pretending he won it and he starts Presidenting out of Trump Tower.
The media cover his daily press briefings in the Trump Tower Bar and Grill in full.

Good no one to watch when she stabs McConnel with a rusty rail road spike.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Clinton is the most thoroughly investigated and vetted nominee for President in the history of this country. Literally every facet of everything she has done for decades is public record at this point.

If anything is 'shady' because it's unclear it's because you aren't looking hard enough or are dismissing reports/facts to support a narrative

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

DemeaninDemon posted:

I mean with the Taco Truck Initiative becoming a permanent policy why wouldn't they?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

"Henry Kissinger endorsed Clinton!" -> "He didn't officially endorse her but he considered it" -> "He never considered it but he seems to like her 'informally'"
It's more like she considers him a friend and repeatedly asked him for advice and counsel while she was secretary of state

You know while we're correcting the record and knocking down strawmen and poo poo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

happyhippy posted:

I bet you he will keep billing the RNC for his campaign expenses even after this is over, just to see if anyone notices

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rscott posted:

It's more like she considers him a friend and repeatedly asked him for advice and counsel while she was secretary of state

You know while we're correcting the record and knocking down strawmen and poo poo
remember when clinton bombed Cambodia

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Bad Moon posted:

I mean with the Taco Truck Initiative becoming a permanent policy why wouldn't they?

I hope her inauguration dispenses with a brass band, in favour of a fleet of Taco Trucks blaring "La Cucaracha" .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

At the rate things are happening with FOX Shep is gonna be the last man standing, and will thus earn the right to remake the station in his image, as he has planned all along.

• Locked thread