Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im with Lastgirl: wait an year or so, buy a much better game for a lower price

That's specially true for strategy games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

But if you wait even longer it'll be even better and cheaper

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
True that: Ive only bought Civ 5 like 2 years ago, so I paid coffee money (in a sale) and got the best experience

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm going to pay full price at launch and get like 50 hours (maybe more!) of fun and then when the expansions come out I'll probably get those too and play it another 30 or so hours each, and I'll get to start doing it now (well, in a couple months) instead of a year or two down the road :unsmith:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I can respect wanting to pay less money for the game, but it's a little irritating that people keep dropping that line in here in that smug way like they're the only one who has the sagely wisdom that civ V sucked on release. As an additional point, this is probably just my relentless optimism, but civ vi looks like it's going to be a lot better on release than civ v was.

E:

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm going to pay full price at launch and get like 50 hours (maybe more!) of fun and then when the expansions come out I'll probably get those too and play it another 30 or so hours each, and I'll get to start doing it now (well, in a couple months) instead of a year or two down the road :unsmith:

I'm so hosed I might even preorder this game

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I pay full price for these games because there are so few games out there that are going to be good for years to come. I bought Civ 5 at release and yeah, it sucked. But guess what, I still play that game and its how many years old? I respect the franchise a lot so I always put the money down for it.

Thats just me being all sentimental though.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I can respect wanting to pay less money for the game, but it's a little irritating that people keep dropping that line in here in that smug way like they're the only one who has the sagely wisdom that civ V sucked on release. As an additional point, this is probably just my relentless optimism, but civ vi looks like it's going to be a lot better on release than civ v was.

E:

I'm so hosed I might even preorder this game

I dont know if it was directed to me, but is not my case. If I had lots of money and a better computer, I will probably be buying it too (although I would still wait a couple of patches to play). Since I dont and I also happen to have a large queue of poo poo Ive already bought and never played, I can wait

And is not something specific with the Civ series, Im used to wait for any new game nowdays. Specially with complex games, like strategy games usually are: its guaranteed that the game will be a much better experience when they had some extra time to balance, fix bugs, improve the AI, add some new features etc

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont know if it was directed to me, but is not my case. If I had lots of money and a better computer, I will probably be buying it too (although I would still wait a couple of patches to play). Since I dont and I also happen to have a large queue of poo poo Ive already bought and never played, I can wait

And is not something specific with the Civ series, Im used to wait for any new game nowdays. Specially with complex games, like strategy games usually are: its guaranteed that the game will be a much better experience when they had some extra time to balance, fix bugs, improve the AI, add some new features etc

Not you, and not even lastgirl specifically, just sort of a refrain ("this game is going to suck on release") that gets tiresome. Honestly, I wait for a sale on basically every nonciv game I buy, so I get it.

E: I think the reason people saying that stuff bothers me because it smacks of somebody being condescending because other people like something or aren't needlessly cynical. That's an attitude I find incredibly irritating across the board.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 6, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I bought CivV at release, figured out it sucked, and then stopped playing it. CivIV looks much better and takes some of the good concepts of CivV, while improving the worst parts of CivV, army management and moddability.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

CivIV looks much better and takes some of the good concepts of CivV, while improving the worst parts of CivV, army management and moddability.

Yeah. V was such a departure from IV that the designers didn't know how to make the new concepts work. Then they released BE that introduced even more new concepts, while still using old ones that weren't fixed.

Other than casus belli and districts (which are basically still another kind of tile improvement), everything that has been introduced in VI this far is an improvement on an already existing concept from IV. It's not naive to expect to play better at release.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Civ 5 didn't "suck" on release. Unless you're using the Gamer Score Scale where any game that's a 7/10 or lower "sucks".

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

precision posted:

Civ 5 didn't "suck" on release. Unless you're using the Gamer Score Scale where any game that's a 7/10 or lower "sucks".

I'm using my personal opinion and comparing it to Civ4, it sucked. And worse, it couldn't be improved, it was deeply flawed and should have just been a beta for 6.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I will buy Civ 6 at release even if it does suck. Take that, smug-havers

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Everyone should have fun in the exact same way I have fun!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Civ V was sorta mediocre at release, and I didn't play G&K very much, but BNW made it a real good and fun game that I play all the time.

I will be getting VI at release and probably play the poo poo out of it.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
It's easy to say Civ5 sucked on launch now that we have the benefit of two good expansion packs. People say the same thing about Civ 4, but they were both fun and enjoyable when they were new. Civ 6 vanilla will probably suck next month compared to 3 years from now too, but that's not a good enough reason to swear it off as junk without playing it.

I still remember the Civ5 thread back in 9/2010, people were making GBS threads themselves over how new and awesome and good the game was. Sure, the complaints rolled in eventually but the fun was still had. Since when was it bad to buy a new game on release and have fun?

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 6, 2016

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
In more concrete news, Firaxis will do another Livestream tomorrow. Playing as Spain this time.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Non-toxx calling it now: Greece.

Greece will probably be last since that's showing off the multiple leaders feature

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Hogama posted:

In more concrete news, Firaxis will do another Livestream tomorrow. Playing as Spain this time.

I hope this is the one where they reveal Ed Beach's social security number.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

DarthJeebus posted:

It's easy to say Civ5 sucked on launch now that we have the benefit of two good expansion packs. People say the same thing about Civ 4, but they were both fun and enjoyable when they were new. Civ 6 vanilla will probably suck next month compared to 3 years from now too, but that's not a good enough reason to swear it off as junk without playing it.

I still remember the Civ5 thread back in 9/2010, people were making GBS threads themselves over how new and awesome and good the game was. Sure, the complaints rolled in eventually but the fun was still had. Since when was it bad to buy a new game on release and have fun?

Nah it was pretty easy to get bored with V really quick after release. Once you figured out that the terrain didn't matter and trading posts were -always- the best and the various other balance flaws (maritime city states) it kinda sucked the fun out of the game, along with the completely irrational/inscrutable diplomatic AI and general personal annoyance with 1UPT. All that was really messed up about IV on release was the multiplayer (which was, admittedly, a shitshow), the base game mechanics were solid and balance wasn't that out of whack.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

HMS Beagle posted:

I hope this is the one where they reveal Ed Beach's social security number.

*awkwardly looks at colleague*

"...yeah."

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

*awkwardly looks at colleague*

"...yeah."

No but don't you see they smiled it was totally intentional!

Civfanatics is hilarious sometimes.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
I can't believe there's another preorder vs. wait for all the DLC argument going on in here.

The pro strat is to trick someone else into loving you enough to preorder the game for you :smug: :smug: :smug:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You know, I'd buy Ed was doing it intentionally if only because he scrolled down the leader list, spoiling more than what he already did.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Either that or he decided "in for a penny, in for a pound".

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I won't be buying Civ6 on release, not because so much I think its going to suck at launch, just that it hasn't showed me anything huge yet that makes me feel I need it, so far the game looks just "ok" to me.
Also helps that I have a lot more grand strategy and 4x games laying around these days for when I need to scratch the itch.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

berenzen posted:

Either that or he decided "in for a penny, in for a pound".

Actually, thinking back to various times I've hosed up, it was probably some dawning realization like "Oh poo poo can you see all the leaders here? Yep"

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I will buy it at release because I have a job that pays me money.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hand Row posted:

I will buy it at release because I have a job that pays me money.

I use this same logic to spend $800 on clash of clans

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I don't know if steam sales broke people or what but there's been a weird aura of smugness around how little some people manage to pay for games. At a certain point it's almost as bad as how it used to be with people alluding to how they "obtained" copies using "certain websites. "

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Civ4 had a bunch of interesting systems that were fleshed out from civ3, the AInwas a challenge at prince and above, and the world editor was very powerful.

CivV had none of that and I don't see how that has improved.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Speaking of expansion packs, was owning BNW and not GK an option, and if it was, wasn't that like, really weird, man?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm pretty sure it was. None of the mechanics, scenarios, or factions of BNW relied on religion/spying.

I've literally never heard of anyone playing the second without the first, though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Powercrazy posted:

Civ4 had a bunch of interesting systems that were fleshed out from civ3, the AInwas a challenge at prince and above, and the world editor was very powerful.

CivV had none of that and I don't see how that has improved.
Civ5 was a brand new game compared to Civ4 which was essentially an engine upgrade and expansion to Civ3.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Civ 5 was the best game I'd ever played when I got it a little bit after launch.

So I think I'm gonna get this one.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Civ threads have a similar spiral to the Mass Effect one. The only thing left is for someone to mention Alpha Centauri and the circle will be complete.

Anyway I'm still watching gameplay videos from weeks ago so you can bet I'll be playing it day one until my eyes bleed.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Civ 5 at release was pretty boring. I remember being MEGA hyped about it, and playing a few games and being like....huh...yeah, thats it? Kinda lame...and then I put it down for a long time.

Actually I only got back into it because my daughter was born and I was going to play a turn based game and it just happened to be around the time Brave New World released, so that worked out. I never even played Gods and Kings by itself because the game had turned me off so much.

I don't think its any kind of rose colored glasses, the game was legit not good at release and was massively disappointing.

Glad they've fixed it up now and I'm buying Civ 6 at release.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jastiger posted:

Glad they've fixed it up now and I'm buying Civ 6 at release.

Same. I'm going to buy civ6 at release so hopefully they've refined it.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
How intensive is it going to be? I ran civ 5 fine but my computers getting olddd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Ulvino posted:

Civ threads have a similar spiral to the Mass Effect one. The only thing left is for someone to mention Alpha Centauri and the circle will be complete.

Anyway I'm still watching gameplay videos from weeks ago so you can bet I'll be playing it day one until my eyes bleed.

Every single thread on this forum that runs for some period of time has a traceable spiral