Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Flew back home DEN-MCO through the hurricane in United 1st. Had several drinks worrying about the upcoming turbulence they kept warning us about.

I've flown through worse turbulence in clear skies. I remember flying into a cloud about an hour before landing and not getting out of it until we were on approach to land, but honestly can't remember there being any turbulence. It was weird.

That flight put me over the 2nd tier in my United rewards bonus category, so I got an extra 9,000 miles for it. Also, since I've used hertz I've been getting 500 United miles per rental and now that I'm United premier gold, I get an additional 500 miles, so 1000 miles per rental, which equates to a nice 30-50k extra United miles a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Aa will let you buy up your status. It's like 900 for gold regardless of amount you're short. It's a ripoff.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The additional mileage buys for DL and AA are ordinary miles, not MQM/EQM.

You can buy Delta MQMs at the end of the year, but the are ridiculously priced.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DJCobol posted:

You can buy Delta MQMs at the end of the year, but the are ridiculously priced.

Yes, to clarify I meant the Mileage Multiplier feature.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yes, to clarify I meant the Mileage Multiplier feature.

Gotcha. Yeah, the thing you buy as an add-on to a normal ticket is just RDMs. 

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Why do the crowne plaza and the Hilton give me a down comforter and no sheet when it's the middle of the summer in Spain and I was out drinking until 5am and just want to take a siesta?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Same reason the poo poo hole I'm staying at in Köln barely gave me a towel, sheet, or pillow. Because gently caress you.

Luckily I'm not single so the fact that I couldn't even gently caress in this bed doesn't bother me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Why do the crowne plaza and the Hilton give me a down comforter and no sheet when it's the middle of the summer in Spain and I was out drinking until 5am and just want to take a siesta?

That's how Europe does bedsheets. You can probably unzip the comforter to pull out the stuffing and get kind of a sheet.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

FunOne posted:

Same reason the poo poo hole I'm staying at in Köln barely gave me a towel, sheet, or pillow.

Does this mean they hesitated to give it to you once you've asked for it or something?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

Does this mean they hesitated to give it to you once you've asked for it or something?

No, a "because they're cheap" or a "lol Europe?"

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I just didn't get the barely part, like they weren't going to if you asked or something.

I have awesome stays in Europe for the most part.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

I just didn't get the barely part, like they weren't going to if you asked or something.

I have awesome stays in Europe for the most part.

Nah, more of a "Technically this counts as a towel. I have one towel."

Getting screwed on a last minute trip to a town with a trade show, multiple fairs, and I think a race today too. Slim pickings on hotel rooms and I took one based on location. Not the worst place I've ever stayed by a long shot, but not the nicest either.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yeah hate those situations. One time had to settle with a Airbnb

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Got a question for the thread-
I'm doing my global entry interview tomorrow and might've booked my return flight a little too close. If I allot like an hour and half for the interview, with an additional 2 hours to get to my gate after I should be able to do a terminal-to-terminal transfer at DTW, right?

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 7, 2016

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Immanentized posted:

I'm doing my global entry interview tomorrow and might've booked my return flight a little too close. If I allot like an hour and half for the interview, with an additional 2 hours to get to my gate after I should be able to do a terminal-to-terminal transfer at DIA, right?

I dunno about terminal stuff but my global entry "interview" took like 10 minutes tops.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Thufir posted:

I dunno about terminal stuff but my global entry "interview" took like 10 minutes tops.

Thanks for that!
I figured it'd be identical to the precheck deal, only factored in that huge block of time in case I had any weird questions about dual citizenship.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Immanentized posted:

I'm doing my global entry interview tomorrow and might've booked my return flight a little too close. If I allot like an hour and half for the interview, with an additional 2 hours to get to my gate after I should be able to do a terminal-to-terminal transfer at DIA, right?

You'll be ok. DIA has a really fast train system for changing terminals.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Immanentized posted:

It won't take nearly that long. They might be backed up by a half hour or so, but the interview itself is extremely short.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
I literally spent more time parking and getting to the terminal than I did inside the terminal. It seems mostly a check to ensure you're a real physical person.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I got my airport codes wrong- I'm at Detroit tomorrow, no train, but the shuttle buses look fine. Appreciate the info regardless, looks like I'll have plenty of time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The company president wants to put me on a double connection flight to Israel with an 8 hour layover (27-28 hours total) on an airline I never use (and therefore will get a lovely seat) instead of a single 2 hour connection (17 hours total) on the airline I always fly because it would save the company $300. I'm not crazy for thinking this is unreasonable, am I?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

You may also want to consider how the company values $300 vs your quality of life. Just might be a good idea maybe.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Volunteer to pay the difference, see what he does

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Are you salary or hourly? If the latter, then he's not only being a dickhead but also being penny wise and pound foolish.

e:

Barry posted:

Volunteer to pay the difference, see what he does
No no no no no gently caress NO do not do this.

Noctone fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 7, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Noctone posted:

Are you salary or hourly? If the latter, then he's not only being a dickhead but also being penny wise and pound foolish.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Noctone posted:

e:

No no no no no gently caress NO do not do this.

The worst thing that happens is he calls your bluff

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Volunteering to pay is no different than asking the president "would you like to jizz on my face or rear end"

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

air- posted:

Volunteering to pay is no different than asking the president "would you like to jizz on my face or rear end"

Don't kink shame my hobby

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Immanentized posted:

Thanks for that!
I figured it'd be identical to the precheck deal, only factored in that huge block of time in case I had any weird questions about dual citizenship.

I'm a dual citizen with an EU country and they didn't even ask me about it during the interview.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A few years ago I had to volunteer to pay the difference several times and every time I got my way, so I dunno.

They're already paying the absolute cheapest way to get from a to b, what's the worst that will happen? They clip your wings entirely? Sounds like a good thing to me imo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Barry posted:

The worst thing that happens is he calls your bluff

No you dumb rear end if he "calls your bluff" you set a precedent where the absolute lowest cost rules for travel and if employees don't like it they have to spend their own money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MickeyFinn posted:

I'm a dual citizen with an EU country and they didn't even ask me about it during the interview.

Probably because the US does not recognize dual citizenship.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

KillHour posted:

The company president wants to put me on a double connection flight to Israel with an 8 hour layover (27-28 hours total) on an airline I never use (and therefore will get a lovely seat) instead of a single 2 hour connection (17 hours total) on the airline I always fly because it would save the company $300. I'm not crazy for thinking this is unreasonable, am I?

10 hours of your time is worth more than $300 right?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No you dumb rear end if he "calls your bluff" you set a precedent where the absolute lowest cost rules for travel and if employees don't like it they have to spend their own money.

Maybe if you work for a poo poo company with a poo poo president, but that's potentially already the case here so.

I mean this already seems like they're using the absolute lowest cost rules for travel here (besides maybe sticking you in the cargo hold). Can't go lower than the bottom.

e: In the interest of full disclosure I wasn't particularly serious about offering to pay the difference.

Barry fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 7, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you pay for the difference yourself you normalize the bad situation. You should argue with the VP.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I would never actually pay the difference, it's just a way to show your boss that he's a dumb cheapass. Obviously talking about it first (hey bossman, maybe it would be in everyone's best interests to save me 10 hours of travel time) is the right move but hey, gotta have a nuclear option

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Barry posted:

I would never actually pay the difference, it's just a way to show your boss that he's a dumb cheapass. Obviously talking about it first (hey bossman, maybe it would be in everyone's best interests to save me 10 hours of travel time) is the right move but hey, gotta have a nuclear option

Don't make threats that aren't credible in any situation. If you bring it up be prepared to follow through, otherwise you're just another limp dicked piece of poo poo who talks big but punks out when things get serious and you'll find you have a hard time getting anyone to take you seriously.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It ain't a nuclear option unless you'll follow through.

Plus the nuclear option is threatening to not go on the trip, or threatening to quit, not paying three hundred dollars of your own money to have your company not gently caress you over.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So a travel policy this strict will be changed if you fight about it? Cmon. I'm surprised we disagree with this Kyoon. I usually agree with most posts.

I assume the "I am paying the difference myself" bit isn't used at the drop of a hat but as the final bit of fighting.

And yeah, if a company is going to be that big of dicks to you then yeah, probably not isolated and probably worth your time to look for a new gig. When I've had travel policy issues it definitely wasn't the only problem. But I used this option and got what I needed to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Midjack posted:

Don't make threats that aren't credible in any situation. If you bring it up be prepared to follow through, otherwise you're just another limp dicked piece of poo poo who talks big but punks out when things get serious and you'll find you have a hard time getting anyone to take you seriously.

It ain't my butt in that seat for 10 largely unnecessary hours so I have no idea how credible my threat would actually be if it was, but that poo poo sucks and I wouldn't roll over and die for terrible travel policy so easily. Especially if you have a direct line to the guy making it.