Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that was finished some time ago dude

http://store.steampowered.com/app/34030/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Haven't played Napoleon, but in the other gunpowder games (Empire, Fall of the Samurai, and Medieval 2's gunpowder units), I always just build a line of guns to let everything walk into it and I can't bring myself to employ actual tactics.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Looks like there's some casual tournament with lovely prizes going on today for those interested in TWW multiplayer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/4znspp/dogs_of_war_1_open_tournament_with_prizes/
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Ninjahund/discussions/0/355043117529849749/
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Ninjahund/discussions/0/355043117529853995/?tscn=1472315946

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Plan Z posted:

So I caved and bought Empire, the only TW game I hadn't owned up to that point. I gotta say, I like it more than I thought I would. The battle AI is weird, especially when inside forts, but it's so goofy in an unintentional way that it's sort of endearing.

I've grown to like Empire over time. It's the best TW game if you just want to do dumb poo poo. Loading up on trade nodes, ganking the pirates on turn 1, and abusing the 2-turn reinforcement button means that you get an entire world to gently caress around and play with your pikemen in.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Empire's pretty endearing. They tried out a bunch of new things and quite a bit of it didn't work out. I appreciate a lot of what it looks like they were going for.

On another note, the more I play Attila, the more it could potentially be my favorite game in the series if its campaign map didn't get so tedious at times.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love playing Attila as Saxon or Scandinavian countries and happily enduring the ice age while everyone else flees south. I've been meaning to play an eastern faction at some point to enjoy the deserts and early hun swarms.

Saxon lances are cheap and super useful for their cost. They won't stand up to proper germanic cavalry but they are great flankers.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Tried a Visigoth campaign. I'm having fun blasting through Roman territory, liberating and helping the Ostros build up their empire as I set my eyes westward.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mans posted:

that was finished some time ago dude

http://store.steampowered.com/app/34030/

I just like the idea of my army dressed to the Napoleon nines in Empire now. Of course it's taking forever as ETW Modding is more or less one foot in the grave. I am sure it'll be done before we see another Gun Powder era game coming out.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Any tips for Fall of the Samurai navy play? I can get it built up good but it all goes to poo poo when the realm starts to divide. The ships die so fast and they are expensive to repair. What is the best way to structure fleets?

Playing on Legendary btw

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I usually prefer to get the HMS Deathstar Warrior and solo whole fleets. Besides that a handful of torpedo boats can dramatically swing the battle when used well

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Amarcarts posted:

Any tips for Fall of the Samurai navy play? I can get it built up good but it all goes to poo poo when the realm starts to divide. The ships die so fast and they are expensive to repair. What is the best way to structure fleets?

Playing on Legendary btw

Ironclads with advanced armor piercing shells are all you will need in the late game. Three of them to a fleet and you snipe everything as those fuckers camp on the far side of the map.

Naval battles in FOTS are hot garbage on the offensive. Enemy fleets won't move until half their ships are sunk, and then they just run away.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Amarcarts posted:

Playing on Legendary btw

If you get tired of using ironclads to slowly kill every fleet on the planet, just make some stacks with the maximum amount of armored ships you can use (IIRC armored corvettes work well) and auto resolve every battle.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've been meaning to play an eastern faction at some point to enjoy the deserts and early hun swarms.

I recommend you play as any of them that aren't the Sassanids since they're all super interesting instead of comically overpowered and with the game already won from the get-go.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Just re-installed Medieval 2 as I've been hankering for some medieval fighty mans recently. So far I was able to install the Retrofit mod properly to gain access to the expansion features in the main campaign. Anything else I should think about before proceeding? I already switched the move camera to WASD since I've gotten too used to it from recent TW titles. Any recommendations for a nation? I don't recall really which are good and fun and which are a bit more of a PIA. I remember liking France a lot but often getting overwhelhmed by HRE+Spain+England+Milan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Play as Venice or Spain and do Pike and Shot combat.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I'm trying to get into Shogun 2 that has been sitting in my steam catalog and after 9 hours it's very hard for me to get into it. Battles seem so repetive, you try to flank the enemy and just see which unit attacks which and that seems to be it. I haven't gotten far at all (don't even have cavalry, ninjas or monks) but fail to see how much they would change the game. People seem to love this series and I loved civilization so the series seems very interesting, but the first taste of it just doesn't seem to do it for me. What am I doing wrong and will it change? Haven't played any other TW games.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
The very early and late components of TW games are usually kind of dull. Its the midpoint that shines.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Just had a conversation with someone, and I have the idea for the next Total War game. Mad Max: Total War. Motorcycle cavalry, melee/ranged cars, tankers with weapons, Gyrocopters, sick settlement attacks, boomerang units.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

StarMinstrel posted:

Any recommendations for a nation? I don't recall really which are good and fun and which are a bit more of a PIA. I remember liking France a lot but often getting overwhelhmed by HRE+Spain+England+Milan.
I liked doing cheat-based 'migration' games in M2TW once I got bored with the usual run of things. Load myself up with a few hundred thousand florins, and then strip all my garrisons and armies and try to take over some other region before the old home territories all revolt or are captured by an enemy. Specific ones I enjoyed include England rebasing itself in Jerusalem, France becoming the Latin Empire and rebasing itself in Constantinople, and the HRE living up to its name by either rebasing to Rome or Constantinople.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Plan Z posted:

Just had a conversation with someone, and I have the idea for the next Total War game. Mad Max: Total War. Motorcycle cavalry, melee/ranged cars, tankers with weapons, Gyrocopters, sick settlement attacks, boomerang units.

Total War: World War 4

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Spain if you don't get that loving army out of Seville, I swear I'm going to turn this friendship car around!

Guess the DLC.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Spain if you don't get that loving army out of Seville, I swear I'm going to turn this friendship car around!

Guess the DLC.

Peninsular Campaign for Napoleon!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A Scotsman in Egypt.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Peninsular Campaign for Napoleon!

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Seriously, give me the agents from FOTS for that DLC. The whole stoking the population to actually get angry at the invaders thing takes too long!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ManOfTheYear posted:

I'm trying to get into Shogun 2 that has been sitting in my steam catalog and after 9 hours it's very hard for me to get into it. Battles seem so repetive, you try to flank the enemy and just see which unit attacks which and that seems to be it. I haven't gotten far at all (don't even have cavalry, ninjas or monks) but fail to see how much they would change the game. People seem to love this series and I loved civilization so the series seems very interesting, but the first taste of it just doesn't seem to do it for me. What am I doing wrong and will it change? Haven't played any other TW games.
Game has certain RPS elements between units and certain units could have armor (samurai) and/or piercing arrows (samurai bows), which also influences the sway of battle. You are basically sending peasants to get mauled at another hopefully more costly unit, while units to the side will charge in the rear of the brawlers before your peasants rout. Massive morale gains and XP to the survivors.
It is best to start battles with archers picking off guys until their troops rush yours. Learning takes a long time to work things out. Just remember that horses always lose to spears.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee posted:

Just remember that horses always lose to spears.

Well, this is true to a certain extent, but it's kind of tricky in Shogun 2 because the basic unit is spears so if you want to make ANY use of cavalry, you have to learn how to time your charges well. In a straight on fight cav will get shredded by spears, but if you have those spears already engaged by another unit in the front, cav can hit them in the back and inflict pretty heavy damage without taking too much themselves. You have to really micromanage your cavalry though, because even sword cavalry just doesn't have a lot of staying power. So there's a lot of "charge, withdraw, reorganize, charge again"

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I forgot about how charge is a rather tricky thing to master. Charge makes your attacks much stronger for a bit of time, but it requires a running start beyond the simple double click for running speed. A generous distance is required, but be careful not to abuse it or stamina drops to where they can't run and morale may as well plummet if your horses are tired and getting piked.
A popular strategy with horses is having at least one of them always charging a unit while the other is breaking off the fight immediately, so that they can get ready for a charge. Hammer and Anvil. Timing is really important in that case.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well, this is true to a certain extent, but it's kind of tricky in Shogun 2 because the basic unit is spears so if you want to make ANY use of cavalry, you have to learn how to time your charges well. In a straight on fight cav will get shredded by spears, but if you have those spears already engaged by another unit in the front, cav can hit them in the back and inflict pretty heavy damage without taking too much themselves. You have to really micromanage your cavalry though, because even sword cavalry just doesn't have a lot of staying power. So there's a lot of "charge, withdraw, reorganize, charge again"

Also, it's important to remember that the best faction is and will always be Takeda, immovable as a mountain :japan:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
when is medieval 3 being announced

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Metrication posted:

when is medieval 3 being announced
They're calling it "Charlemagne" this time around, I hear.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It costs one Charlemagne.

There is a historical game being made, but I believe it was in pre-production around the time they stated that their next games wouldn't have 3 in their names.

So it is pretty much up in the air. Personally I am hoping for Empire 2: Actually Good Game, because I can't help but admire the ambition of that game's scope, and CA seems to be pretty on the ball since Rome 2 Emperor Edition.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's weird that the easiest Shogun factions are the historical losers while the historical winners are the hardest

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The hardest faction IMO, Takeda, won the most important prize of the Sengoku period: our hearts and minds.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

ZearothK posted:

It costs one Charlemagne.

There is a historical game being made, but I believe it was in pre-production around the time they stated that their next games wouldn't have 3 in their names.

So it is pretty much up in the air. Personally I am hoping for Empire 2: Actually Good Game, because I can't help but admire the ambition of that game's scope, and CA seems to be pretty on the ball since Rome 2 Emperor Edition.

I'd love a game to focus on pike and shot warfare, concentrating on the 16th and 17th centuries. Maybe go from the Italian Wars to the Great Turkish War. That span of time would allow for some pretty diverse factions and technologies to play with, while still emphasizing cold steel units even more directly than warfare in the 18th or early 19th centuries. I'd be perfectly fine if they focused on the 17th century exclusively since there would be many conflicts, involving powers across the globe, to draw on and lots of sources to draw upon with regards to broader surveys of the era down to period treatises concerning martial arts and military tactics.

Since I don't think they like the 17th century as much as I do, though, I would totally settle for an Empire 2 though. I put tons of time into that game despite getting annoyed at it, because I'm a sucker for early modernity and I too liked the game's scope. More balanced - and perhaps historical - infantry, artillery, and cav for all nations would be great. Especially if they always functioned as intended. Also, more developed diplomacy/research/econ systems would be great. You could even have expansion packs that push it into the 19th century to include the Criimean War or some of the colonial conflicts of the time which still saw heavy cold steel usage alongside rapidly developing military tech. I'd also probably buy it pretty happily, since I found Total Warhammer to be pretty fun.

disjoe posted:

The hardest faction IMO, Takeda, won the most important prize of the Sengoku period: our hearts and minds.

What do you think the easiest faction is?

Personally, I think the Otomo may be the easiest faction. Even without the mod that adds more Portuguese units, the Tercos and Donderbuss cav can wreck stuff. Definitely two of my favorite units in Shogun 2. They are also right next to a ton of trade resources. It also helps that I usually get missionaries that are really good at incitement and stopping assassination/arrest attempts.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
charmagne only takes you up to the formation of the kingdom of england though

a true medieval game would be the next chronological step

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My sources tell me that the next game will be Prehistory: Total War.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Fire Barrel posted:

Personally, I think the Otomo may be the easiest faction. Even without the mod that adds more Portuguese units, the Tercos and Donderbuss cav can wreck stuff. Definitely two of my favorite units in Shogun 2. They are also right next to a ton of trade resources. It also helps that I usually get missionaries that are really good at incitement and stopping assassination/arrest attempts.

I think it depends on your play style and how much experience you have with this game/other TW titles. On a related note, I know a lot of people would disagree with me on Takeda being the hardest, I just think they're a tremendous PITA to play.

For me now the easiest is Otomo, particularly when playing on the higher difficulties. Like you said their upsides are really strong upsides and their downsides are fairly unimportant because everyone hates your guts from day one regardless of your choice of clan.

But I think a younger me, the one that typically played Shogun 2 on normal, would say the Shimazu are the easiest. Start position is the most important component of campaign difficulty, in my mind. Shimazu is in a safe spot and poised to become rich as hell relatively quickly.

Also katana samurai are cool.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fire Barrel posted:

Are you kidding, their start is hard as balls, they're a different religion so everybody hates them. Once you consolidate Kyushu they become really easy but that's true of all the smaller island factions.

It's been a while but I think the general consensus was Chosokabe as the easiest. They start stronger than their neighbors and it's easy to consolidate their island and then punch out at anyone from relative safety.

ManOfTheYear posted:

What difficulty are you on? Also not having cavalry 9 hours in is a bit perplexing to me; what turn are you on? The early game is generally kind of repetitive but that shouldn't be the case 9 hours in so much.

A lot of the game does just boil down to hammer/anvil rinse repeat over and over again, so a lot of the variety comes from battles being forced in locations you're not prepared for them and you having to prepare a last minute defense, but there should still be some significant variation. They should also be charging you as a line, I don't really get 1 on 1 unit brawls unless I've been meandering my army around theirs like crazy and they got spread apart.

Maybe try some of the scripted battles and see how you like those.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

disjoe posted:

I think it depends on your play style and how much experience you have with this game/other TW titles. On a related note, I know a lot of people would disagree with me on Takeda being the hardest, I just think they're a tremendous PITA to play.

For me now the easiest is Otomo, particularly when playing on the higher difficulties. Like you said their upsides are really strong upsides and their downsides are fairly unimportant because everyone hates your guts from day one regardless of your choice of clan.

But I think a younger me, the one that typically played Shogun 2 on normal, would say the Shimazu are the easiest. Start position is the most important component of campaign difficulty, in my mind. Shimazu is in a safe spot and poised to become rich as hell relatively quickly.

Also katana samurai are cool.

Fair points. Shimazu and Otomo share the start position benefits as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I never found Takeda too hard, what's the issue with them? You start in mountain heaven where you can funnel your enemies into really predictable spots and lock down multiple locations with a single pass really easily. And your bonus is good too.

The hardest start in my opinion is Ikko Ikki. Maybe I just can't play to their strengths but I've tried them a few times now and never really got where I wanted to be in time. You have all the problems of Otomo but without their strength in gunpowder, and you're in an insanely open part of the map that's really hard to defend.