Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

seiferguy posted:

Seattle to various Alaska ports, and I'm aware that I'll have to pay for satellite internet, which I was probably going to do anyways.

Also, the final leg of the cruise stops at Victoria, so I'll finally be able to catch maple-infused Pokemon.

Depending on how far out from land you are, satellite service may not even work, which is what I was getting at. I did a Mediterranean cruise last year and had no service while going from port to port and the wi-fi on the ship wasn't exactly the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Just noticed small numbers to the right of the ball when idle and about to toss at a mon. Had a krabby with orange ring and a 6 next to it, fed a berry and switched to great ball and it changed to a 76.

:doh:

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 6, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cartouche posted:

Just noticed small numbers to the right of the ball when idle and about to toss at a mon. Had a krabby with orange ring and a 6 next to it, fed a berry and switched to great ball and it changed to a 76.

That is how many balls you have left.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Snak posted:

That is how many balls you have left.

Of course it is.
:doh:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Eikre posted:

If you have more than one device, you can log into them simultaneously and double or triple your evolution rate. Nothing in the TOS about it. So break out your tablets, old poo poo with busted screens, or significant others' phones.

I need to have something clarified though: If you log in simultaneously on multiple devices after you activate a lucky egg, will all three devices share the timer? Or are you just saying to buy enough lucky eggs and pop one on each device?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If you log on three devices and carry all the devices with you, do your eggs hatch three times faster?

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Santa Monica Pier so far: Basically nidomen and women, geodudes, ekans, some growlithes, some vulpix, some poliwags and magikarps. Not setting the world on fire quite yet.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Louisgod posted:

Depending on how far out from land you are, satellite service may not even work, which is what I was getting at. I did a Mediterranean cruise last year and had no service while going from port to port and the wi-fi on the ship wasn't exactly the best.

Ah, gotcha. I'll give it a shot either way. If I can't log in, no biggie I guess it just means another week goes by that I can't gain EXP and become more and more irrelevant to higher gym tiers :(

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, whichever chicagoon recommended going to navy pier, thank you. It was poo poo for farming items, because I caught so many pokemon, I needed two storage upgrades.

I got 35k xp in four hours and eleven and a half miles.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Soonmot posted:

Holy poo poo, whichever chicagoon recommended going to navy pier, thank you. It was poo poo for farming items, because I caught so many pokemon, I needed two storage upgrades.

Have you tried Adler planetarium yet?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yep, went there last week. That was better for items because the pokestops were in a five minute loop. Caught my first dratini there and enough Psyducks to finally evolve.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Santa Monica Pier so far: Basically nidomen and women, geodudes, ekans, some growlithes, some vulpix, some poliwags and magikarps. Not setting the world on fire quite yet.

Follow the path from Bubba Gumps at the north of the pier, good spawns near the lifeguard tower. Electrics and rare stuff near the end of the pier.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Manslaughter posted:

If you log on three devices and carry all the devices with you, do your eggs hatch three times faster?

If it does, get what you can out of it before they fix it.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Dr Tran posted:

Follow the path from Bubba Gumps at the north of the pier, good spawns near the lifeguard tower. Electrics and rare stuff near the end of the pier.

Great! Thanks! I was hoping to get a Dragonite finally, but also very happy farming up Arcanines.

Soonmot posted:

Yep, went there last week. That was better for items because the pokestops were in a five minute loop. Caught my first dratini there and enough Psyducks to finally evolve.

For items I think it depends a lot where you live, but in terms of Pokestop density the highest is actually probably around Lincoln Square. Or, just Uber pool anywhere which goes through the Loop or River North.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Great! Thanks! I was hoping to get a Dragonite finally, but also very happy farming up Arcanines.

I caught a Lapras at the very end near the gym once. The 2nd to last pokestop seems to spawn nice evolutions (Dewgong, Golduck, Tentacruel, Seaking) if it's lured. I caught a Blastoise and saw a screencap of a Dragonite popping out of that stop.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

seiferguy posted:

Seattle to various Alaska ports, and I'm aware that I'll have to pay for satellite internet, which I was probably going to do anyways.

Also, the final leg of the cruise stops at Victoria, so I'll finally be able to catch maple-infused Pokemon.

Getting internet from the cruise ship is, in my experience, loving bonkers crazy. Your provider will probably have an international/roaming satellite plan that's still expensive but much more reasonably priced

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I was stuck on the phone handling a call for work. Saw this pop up in my neighborhood on a scanner. Wife graciously took a quick drive and caught it for both of us. :glomp:

:getin:

Fresh catch, no powering up yet. Although IVs aren't the greatest (80%), it's good enough to invest in I think. Saves me 125 candies evolving one, plus this way I'm guaranteed Bubble. I'll give it a real name once it's powered up. Kinda wish it had Submission or Ice Punch though.

Edit:

I wrote stuff that's wrong. I thought you got bonus prestige for beating an enemy with higher CP, but that's only for training. Derp!

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 6, 2016

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Dahbadu posted:

I was stuck on the phone handling a call for work. Saw this pop up in my neighborhood on a scanner. Wife graciously took a quick drive and caught it for both of us. :glomp:

:getin:

Fresh catch, no powering up yet. Although IVs aren't the greatest (80%), it's good enough to invest in I think. Saves me 125 candies evolving one, plus this way I'm guaranteed Bubble. I'll give it a real name once it's powered up. Kinda wish it had Submission or Ice Punch though.

A lot of people haven't caught on that having a high CP can be a liability if the high CP pokemon is relatively easy to beat with something of lower CP. If they adjust prestige awards based off of community feedback (i.e. Trainer Tips), this goes doubly so.

Dragonite is an example of a pokemon that's very easy to beat using something with lower CP, which is one of the reasons I think it's overrated for gym defense. On the flip side, although it's a big juicy prestige award to an enemy, it's also a juicy prestige award to friends -- Dragonites make excellent training dummies. The problem is, because they have such naturally high CP, they're usually near the top of a gym, so you'll rarely fight one as your first fight.

Point is, Bubble 'Wrath is currently the best gym defender in the game. I want him more than just about anything right now, so this kinda made my day. :)

Wait cp matters for attacking gyms? How so? I thought it was just the # of pokes beat and if you cleared, in which case inflated CP is good.

Also A+ Poliwrath and wife.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Wait cp matters for attacking gyms? How so? I thought it was just the # of pokes beat and if you cleared, in which case inflated CP is good.

Also A+ Poliwrath and wife.

No, looks like I'm wrong. Forget what I said. I still like the Poli though!

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Eikre posted:

If you have more than one device, you can log into them simultaneously and double or triple your evolution rate. Nothing in the TOS about it. So break out your tablets, old poo poo with busted screens, or significant others' phones.

I've done it with two, but I figure three phones (one for the pidgey, one for the ratata/caterpie/weedles, and one for everything else) would probably represent the limits of one's attention and capacity to operate the interfaces quickly.

Kind of a bummer to wait so goddamned long between evolution sprees, but when you're level 25~ there's so much distance between levels, and after a couple box upgrades you've got so much space for Pokemon, that you don't really benefit from popping off an egg any sooner.

I just use Blossom's Pokemon Go Manager to evolve stuff. If you don't mass evolve, I feel like it should be safe. I evolve, click through the affirmations, wait 5 seconds, then evolve again.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="463966521"]
I just use Blossom's Pokemon Go Manager to evolve stuff. If you don't mass evolve, I feel like it should be safe. I evolve, click through the affirmations, wait 5 seconds, then evolve again.

Sounds like a great way to get banned!

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

theflyingexecutive posted:

Sounds like a great way to get banned!

Go kill yourself, thanks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Newman
Oct 17, 2003
unconstructive critic

Soonmot posted:

It's true, this game has done the impossible. Persuaded people that actually live here to go to Navy Pier.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="463966842"]

Wow, rude

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="463966842"]

Strong words from a manchild cheating at a child's video game

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

A gotdang 2k+ Lick/Hyper Beam Snorlax spawned on my apartment mid-switch back from pokestumbling the nearby Walmart for Snorlaxes :snoop:

Sub 50% but gently caress it, I've already got one that gets my candies

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Caught a 31cp Venusaur down the street. Pokedex is now at 138.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
140 with enough candy for a poliwrath and 37 grimer candy :smugbert:

Louisgod posted:

This stupid motherfucker showed up near a bar and ran away after 10 fruited ultra balls:

Half hour later a Dragonair showed up at the park down from my house and ran away after a few ultra balls. Eat poo poo you fucker game.

you spelled God wrong

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Neither one of you is telling anyone to "only eat chickencheese" and halo top is delicious

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Pokemon Go Plus preorders are up on Amazon.ca. I snagged one.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

The Newman posted:

It's true, this game has done the impossible. Persuaded people that actually live here to go to Navy Pier.

Literally the first times I've been back to Navy Pier since the one time I went right after moving.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Anyone know what's up with the "error" you sometimes get when battling / training at gyms?

It keeps happening to me and it's getting infuriating. I'm training a gym up, then all of the sudden I'm kicked out with "ERROR", then I can't train there for a good while, even if I restart my game.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Anyone know what's up with the "error" you sometimes get when battling / training at gyms?

It keeps happening to me and it's getting infuriating. I'm training a gym up, then all of the sudden I'm kicked out with "ERROR", then I can't train there for a good while, even if I restart my game.

The pokemon you were fighting was probably kicked out of the gym by some other player.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Well, I wound up cutting my NYC Pokémon Go day down to just a couple of parks due to time. If I had to do it again, I'd just have sat by a lured corner of Central Park all day.

Once I got there, a Gyarados popped up on my sightings. I showed my phone to my sister in law that was with me, and suddenly people started bolting from the little plaza in the corner into the park. So we followed. Ran into it not far away and everybody started catching theirs. Probably 100+ people converged into a little area by the lake.

Also so stocked up on Pokeballs and hatched a ton of eggs. I'm going to be so disappointed when I get back to my dozen Pokestop town (there's one spot where there would be 2 in range, 3 if you were in the middle of the road).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

For items I think it depends a lot where you live, but in terms of Pokestop density the highest is actually probably around Lincoln Square. Or, just Uber pool anywhere which goes through the Loop or River North.

I'm in the suburbs, so as soon as I get off the train, I can just make loops on the presidents from canal to Michigan. I also have a good local farm.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="463972469"]
The pokemon you were fighting was probably kicked out of the gym by some other player.

I waited around, restarted my client multiple times, saw no attacks on the gym*, and was alone in a graveyard at 21:00.

*E: And the same blastoise was there in the bottom rung.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

GPS drift caused you to wander out of range of the gym while you were fighting the previous battle and the game gets really pissed off about that for some reason. To prevent it try getting closer to the gym when you fight it.

Once it happens solutions include:

Logging out and logging back in and retrying

Logging out, force quitting the app, then logging back in and retrying

Toggle AR mode

Log out, force quit, log in, toggle AR mode and pick a sacrificial ultra-low cp mon to fight and lose with (this works best for me)

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I got that bug a few nights ago trying to train bro into that gym. probably explains why I've had that gym for a week

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Charizard and a dragonite (or 2) popped up in a residential neighborhood near here. Cue a dozen people posting it on the Facebook group. Cue the police being called by the residents of the area because the streets were suddenly blocked and people were abandoning their cars to run on foot.

It's like, loving hell, don't be such loving dicks! After school, kids running around, and you drive up ON the sidewalk to try to avoid leaving your car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really glad I live in a smaller city and don't have to worry about the ~PoGo Madness!~ People outright driving on side walks sounds like some real bullshit.

The worst we ever had was about 4 days after release suddenly a bunch of fat guys spread out around town were walking around everywhere with fanny packs. Which I assume had huge batteries inside. And you'd kinda just see them randomly walking out of hidden places between buildings you didn't even know existed. The fever for sure died after the first week though.

• Locked thread