Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

What's the deal with price guides? I'm tabulating all the information I have, and NADA has a trade in on my car significantly higher than KBB or Edmunds. I'm trading because the car has enough problems that I'd have to reveal to a private party buyer (Lemon laws, not a douche), but I wouldn't care not telling a dealer.

For reference, it is a 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon base with 145k miles, and in terms of the obvious problems that they'd find, it needs a new AC compressor and the front bumper is pretty beat up (but whole). If they do a thorough inspection they might find that there is a dragging pad in the rear.

NADA is saying in rough condition (which is pretty accurate), the trade price is $8,475. Edmunds is at $4,820, and KBB "average" (better than "rough") is $5,952.

The NADA retail pricing seems to match up with what comparable listings are at, so obviously I'd be hoping for something in that range.

Also, Is there typically a minimum that a dealer will let a car go for less trade in? I still haven't found out of my CU has a minimum financing amount, but I was quoted "I've never seen a loan under about $3,000". I can't really swing throwing down $1,000 cash right now, and I'd rather finance the difference anyway. I'm really just wondering if $8,500 is actually a reasonable trade in on my car, then will I need to shoot for a more expensive replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodtime Pancreas
May 31, 2007

Number_6 posted:

Pondering next car, although it's not urgent. Thinking of going in a more luxury or "professional" direction than my 2011 Mustang GT, but I don't want to give up a lot of performance either.

Proposed Budget: Low $40s MSRP max. So please no "for just 5k more you could get X." drat, cars cost a lot now.

New or Used: New

Body Style & platform: Coupe preferred, but Sedan OK. Strongly prefer RWD but AWD might be tolerable if that's the only way to get it.

How will you be using the car?: Driving to/from work, pleasure. It will be my only car so it needs to be fairly practical and reliable. I usually drive alone, so back seat doesn't matter much--but I do need a usable trunk or hatch. I'm bigger than the average bear so driver leg and headroom also needs to be generous.

What aspects are most important to you? 1. Strong performance (must at least be capable of very low 14s/99 mph in the 1/4 mile). 2. Reliability and ease of service. 3. Styling & Luxury: Needs to look nice and have a nice interior--although coming from a Mustang, I'm not super hung up on interior materials. 4. Cost: does it meet the low 40s cost target stated above.

Cars currently under consideration: (some of which haven't even had good road tests yet): 2017 Camaro SS, Mustang GT, Audi S3, Cadillac ATS, Jaguar XE V6, Inifiniti Q50 or Q60 3.0T, even Ford Fusion Sport and the hotter versions of the Lincoln MKZ. Maybe a Nissan 370z if I can fit my fat rear end in one. All of these seem capable of low 14s (in some cases much better), and when lightly optioned can squeeze in under the price point I mentioned.

When equipped for the performance I want, BMW is above my price range, except possibly 2-series. And I have a significant bias against Chrysler/Dodge products over quality concerns. Lexus and Acura don't have the performance I want at this price point. Finally, I don't feel like a "hot hatch" WRX or Focus rally type car is for me at this point. Basically I just want a high performing comfortable practical reliable sexy prestige car, for a modest amount of money. Why is that so hard? Any other models I should be considering?

Have you looked into the Hyundai Genesis coupe? They seem fairly "professional" and luxurious. I'm not sure on the 1/4 time but they put out like 350 horsepower which might be adequate for you.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I mean its not exactly fair, but the Genesis coupe is driven by the same/similar cohort that drives 350Zs: douchebags

I also dont believe its fast enough if hes already discounted Lexus

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DOOP posted:

Why is the Prius the go to rec instead of the Camry or Corolla? They all seem kinda same-y for the most part.

It was 10 yr/100k miles powertrain from date of issue IIRC. With stuff like roadside assistance and towing coverage and etc

The Prius is more reliable and has better fuel economy. The Corolla is smaller and sedans are an inefficient use of length. demand for the Prius is highly elastic as a function of gas prices.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Prius is more reliable and has better fuel economy. The Corolla is smaller and sedans are an inefficient use of length. demand for the Prius is highly elastic as a function of gas prices.

Oh and also if you buy a brand new Corolla you still get a 4 speed slush box in 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

everdave posted:

Oh and also if you buy a brand new Corolla you still get a 4 speed slush box in 2017

On the absolute stripper loss leader L trim which accounts for less than 1% of sales, yes.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

everdave posted:

The most recent Corolla I've driven had a 3 speed. I bet that 4th gear makes all the difference on the highway.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

On the absolute stripper loss leader L trim which accounts for less than 1% of sales, yes.

I don't think any loving Corolla that starts at ~19k is a loving "loss leader"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

everdave posted:

I don't think any loving Corolla that starts at ~19k is a loving "loss leader"

You should probably see someone about your anger issues. I don't think it's very healthy for you. Maybe you should stay away from car threads if they irritate you so much.

The L is the cheapest trim with the fewest options. A quick scan of one local Toyota dealer's website shows 43 new Corollas in inventory, zero of which have the four speed automatic. Another local store shows 44 in inventory, six of which have the four speed automatic.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You should probably see someone about your anger issues. I don't think it's very healthy for you. Maybe you should stay away from car threads if they irritate you so much.

The L is the cheapest trim with the fewest options. A quick scan of one local Toyota dealer's website shows 43 new Corollas in inventory, zero of which have the four speed automatic. Another local store shows 44 in inventory, six of which have the four speed automatic.

So 10% have the 4 speed in 2017

EDIT: on cars.com there are 17,XXX Corollas under 20k and a quick search shows that 18% of them have the 4 speed automatic. 1% LOSS LEADERS

everdave fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 7, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

everdave posted:

You know, I'd pretty confidently bet it's more reliable. How many of those CVTs will make it past a quarter million miles with no major issues?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

You know, I'd pretty confidently bet it's more reliable. How many of those CVTs will make it past a quarter million miles with no major issues?

I am not saying it is not I was originally responding to someone asking why the Prius is recommended so much on this thread and that is because of VALUE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

everdave posted:

EDIT: on cars.com there are 17,XXX Corollas under 20k and a quick search shows that 18% of them have the 4 speed automatic. 1% LOSS LEADERS

It's slightly less than 10% of total population. You can't set an arbitrary price cutoff that excludes all the higher trim cars.

It's still likely to be used on a dealer's lot as a loss leader, and it's annoying and incorrect for you to say blanket that the Corolla comes with a four speed auto when less than 10% of the cars in dealer inventory (note: not sold) are 4ATs.

Again, you should probably stop getting mad about cars on the internet.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Twerk from Home posted:

While I know the Prius CVT is not really a CVT, I still feel the need to bring it up.

Edit: one of the factors I've heard cited for the prius's reliablity is the hybrid system. Because for a certain percentage of your drive, the gasoline drivetrain isn't doing anything, it has less wear per mile traveled than a gasoline only car.
When it comes to the gen2 prius, there is a lot of be said for the idea that Toyota saw it as an introduction of a new techology they had invested a huge amount of money into so they had to get it right. New priuses broken down on the side of the road would kill the prius. As would owners complaining about electrical issues and the like. I do believe that extra attention was paid to building thise cars properly and designing in extra tolerances. And it shows as it seems to be one of the few cars where even the first year seem to have few issues.

nm fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 7, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Gen2 Prius is the LS400 of the 2000s.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

nm posted:

While I know the Prius CVT is not really a CVT, I still feel the need to bring it up.

Edit: one of the factors I've heard cited for the prius's reliablity is the hybrid system. Because for a certain percentage of your drive, the gasoline drivetrain isn't doing anything, it has less wear per mile traveled than a gasoline only car.
When it comes to the gen2 prius, there is a lot of be said for the idea that Toyota saw it as an introduction of a new techology they had invested a huge amount of money into so they had to get it right. New priuses broken down on the side of the road would kill the prius. As would owners complaining about electrical issues and the like. I do believe that extra attention was paid to building thise cars properly and designing in extra tolerances. And it shows as it seems to be one of the few cars where even the first year seem to have few issues.

Oh, I didn't mean the Prius's CVT which is a paragon of forward thinking engineering. I meant the Corolla CVT, as I thought we were comparing stripper Corollas to volume-seller corollas. There's no possible way that Corollas are using the Prius power split transmission, right? It needs a big electric motor.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Twerk from Home posted:

Oh, I didn't mean the Prius's CVT which is a paragon of forward thinking engineering. I meant the Corolla CVT, as I thought we were comparing stripper Corollas to volume-seller corollas. There's no possible way that Corollas are using the Prius power split transmission, right? It needs a big electric motor.

Is this some kind of reflexive reaction that one develops from a lifetime of VW/Audi ownership? It's a *Corolla*. If Toyota, the biggest and best maker of automatic transmissions in the world somehow managed to let a Corolla, the most reliable best selling car in the world, leave the factory with an unreliable transmission, well it would be pretty loving surprising. The Corolla's CVT is developed completely in-house by Toyota too, of all the things in the world to be paranoid about this is a really weird one.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any experience using sites like carvana.com, vroom.com, etc.? It seems like the biggest downside is not being able to test drive the vehicle before purchase. Even though there is a full refund return period those companies probably bank on folks not wanting to go through that process most of the time.

The prices seems fairly competitive, however. And there is something to be said for not having to deal with a salesperson.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm curious to know the hivemind thought on whether you'd rather have a (for example) 2015 car with 35k miles or a 2013 car with 10k miles.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It'd come down to a combination of future maintenance schedule and condition for me. If it's going to need some significant service at 50/60k (which few new cars do), I'd go older with lower miles. I'd also expect the lower mileage one to probably be in better condition. Someone who has had a new car for three years and only driven it 10k miles probably keeps it in a garage. They could've skipped every possible maintenance interval and not done any damage at a mileage that low. A newer car with 35k miles might have a lot more rock damage to the paint from highway driving.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
With all due respect to IOC, I would probably(depending greatly on visual condition) go with the newer, higher-mileage example.

Why?

Because a vehicle that new, with that many miles, is most likely a highway driven commuter, and highway driving is generally the best thing for a vehicle. All operating temps are always up there, meaning any accumulation of moisture in fluids has the best chance of evaporating away, the brakes don't get used as much, the transmission doesn't shift that much, the engine just thrums away in a tall gear at lowish RPMS.

Meanwhile, older, low-mileage vehicles tend to be driven by the proverbial little old lady to church once a week, and that's the worst thing you can do to a car(outside of a steady regimen of drag racing and autocross :). Occasional short trips don't get the fluids warm enough, the engine oil runs off of cylinder walls, brake rotors rust, seals harden in one position, etc. And because 'it's never driven', scheduled service can be nonexistent or rare.

Now these days it -really- shouldn't matter much in the case of a 1-4 year-old car, materials are far better than they are even 10-15 years ago and both vehicles should be fine. But when you get up to ten-fifteen year-old cars, the 'cream puff' that has very low miles will often have a host of trouble once it's regularly driven again. If you're planning on restoring the vehicle, great, who cares? But if it's a driver, a somewhat newer, higher-mileage vehicle with good service records can often be much more reliable.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Imo in today's day and age...
Wear from age is more than wear from miles.. 10-15 years is the range of poo poo starts needing fixing often.

Juat ask for the service records and make sure the car has no huge gaps in service and oil changes

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Almost entirely dependent on service history from my perspective.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Agreed. Also depending on where they are in the product cycle depending on manufacturer. If I was stupid and buying a used audi, I'd buy the newest one of the cycle possible because they might get some of the bugs out.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
a three year old car with 10k should not have to worry about dried ut rubber etc...

now a 10+ yesr old car...i bought a 92 honda with 18k in 07 and as soon as i started putting miles on it stuff started busting (hoses and wheel cylinders etc...)

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Where is this mythical land where you can buy a used car that has any kind of service history? I put this in the same category as "never buy from a dealer, always buy private party". I can't find a car over $20k within 500 miles of me sold by a private party.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

photomikey posted:

Where is this mythical land where you can buy a used car that has any kind of service history? I put this in the same category as "never buy from a dealer, always buy private party". I can't find a car over $20k within 500 miles of me sold by a private party.

Where are you? And where are you looking online? I am in a small town and I see 30k plus Lexus and BMW for sale private party and 40k plus diesel trucks this in a town of 30k people

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

JnnyThndrs posted:

With all due respect to IOC, I would probably(depending greatly on visual condition) go with the newer, higher-mileage example.

Why?

Because a vehicle that new, with that many miles, is most likely a highway driven commuter, and highway driving is generally the best thing for a vehicle. All operating temps are always up there, meaning any accumulation of moisture in fluids has the best chance of evaporating away, the brakes don't get used as much, the transmission doesn't shift that much, the engine just thrums away in a tall gear at lowish RPMS.

Meanwhile, older, low-mileage vehicles tend to be driven by the proverbial little old lady to church once a week, and that's the worst thing you can do to a car(outside of a steady regimen of drag racing and autocross :). Occasional short trips don't get the fluids warm enough, the engine oil runs off of cylinder walls, brake rotors rust, seals harden in one position, etc. And because 'it's never driven', scheduled service can be nonexistent or rare.

Now these days it -really- shouldn't matter much in the case of a 1-4 year-old car, materials are far better than they are even 10-15 years ago and both vehicles should be fine. But when you get up to ten-fifteen year-old cars, the 'cream puff' that has very low miles will often have a host of trouble once it's regularly driven again. If you're planning on restoring the vehicle, great, who cares? But if it's a driver, a somewhat newer, higher-mileage vehicle with good service records can often be much more reliable.
Buying work trucks, I often go for high mileage per year examples, especially if they are fleet maintained with a service history. Work trucks not only log miles, but also hours. So a 10k mile 5 year old vehicle with 5500 service hours is a loving disaster waiting to happen. That's because it spent most of it's life idling somewhere, which is kinda not good for it.

While a 3 year old vehicle with 90k miles spent most of it's life driving across the state, on a highway, in overdrive gear. That one is going to cost less and run without a hicup for another 50k

nm
Jan 28, 2008

photomikey posted:

My subaru came with a stack of receipts in the glovebox. Even from a dealer.
If you buy private party, you should get them -- a person who didn't keep them probably wasn't as anal as you want.
Some cars also have service logs in the owners manual.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
There is a black SLK in Phoenix, about 4 hours from me, at $26,500:

http://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz/slk-class/2014/used/vin/?vin=WDDPK4HAXEF076316

There is one down the street from me at $29,999:

http://www.kandsrides.com/2014-Mercedes-Benz-SLK250-Convertible-Hard-Top~Harman%2FKardon~Premium-Pkg-San-Diego%2C-California-92103/5981054

They're very similar cars.

I'd like to offer $26k even on the one near me, with the $26,500 as my leverage. I figure they'll counter with $27k, and god willing we'll meet in the middle at $26,500.

Any strategies to make that happen? I plan to make contact tomorrow morning.

photomikey fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 8, 2016

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The one in PHX isn't as good of a car. A few more miles and has been in an accident. I also wouldn't trust the dealer that it's at, but I haven't lived there in 10+ years maybe they're better

http://www.libertycarsandtrucks.com/search/s:mk1/?mk=39-mercedesbenz

I don't have my pulse on the used Benz market but I'm going to guess 26.5 for the local car won't get the deal done.

If your serious though go down there and make an offer. If they say no, thank them for their time and leave. If I had to guess though you'll need to be around 28 on that car

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Maybe you know that dealer personally, but any reviews of dealerships seem to be peppered with "they sold me a perfectly fine 1997 Ford Escort, and just 3 short years later the transmission dropped, this place is a total scam". Given, the reviews of the PHX dealer don't look very good, but frankly, neither do the reviews of the local dealer, nor really any dealer I've looked at who's been in business very long.

The accident stuff I hadn't realized. CarFax calls it "very minor". Not sure what that means from a value perspective.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

photomikey posted:

I have always kept every scrap of paperwork in a folder. You can't always get everything, but you can usually get some recent service history, or have the seller get service history. It helps that I am generally interested in used cars where provenance is slightly important.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

photomikey posted:

Maybe you know that dealer personally, but any reviews of dealerships seem to be peppered with "they sold me a perfectly fine 1997 Ford Escort, and just 3 short years later the transmission dropped, this place is a total scam". Given, the reviews of the PHX dealer don't look very good, but frankly, neither do the reviews of the local dealer, nor really any dealer I've looked at who's been in business very long.

The accident stuff I hadn't realized. CarFax calls it "very minor". Not sure what that means from a value perspective.

Nah, I don't know them. I left Phoenix a decade ago, no clue about anything there anymore.

I'm really just trying to help set expectations for you here. I looked around online quite a bit, and a 2014 SKL250 with appx 30K miles on it, none of them are listed close to 26,5. The general pricing I've seen has been in the 29 to 34K range with MB CPO models running 33 to 37. Granted I'm searching within 500 miles of me here in Texas. Houston and Dallas have strong luxury car markets though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If a car record has "lien reported" in it, what does that mean?

Will the repo man come after me?

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 8, 2016

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That just means someone took out a loan on it with the car as collateral (i.e., a normal car loan).

If you buy a car that has an active lien on it, you'll need to make sure that the seller pays off the loan and has the lien holder transfer the title to you.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DOOP posted:

If a car record has "lien reported" in it, what does that mean?

Will the repo man come after me?

It's what shows up when a car is financed. As long as they have the release of lien it's fine. If you're buying through a dealer they've already taken care of that poo poo for you unless they're super shady.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
On a 2 year old car with 2 years left on the warranty, would you do a full pre-purchase inspection with a mechanic , or would you figure it's in pretty good shape and let it ride?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

photomikey posted:

On a 2 year old car with 2 years left on the warranty, would you do a full pre-purchase inspection with a mechanic , or would you figure it's in pretty good shape and let it ride?

75 bucks can save you 1000s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I haven't bought a used car from a dealer in a while. I am at a fair price with a dealer. Price plus tax, title, license.

He wants to charge a doc fee. My position is that drawing up documentation is part of your job, I also don't pay a "keep the lights on" fee or a "toilet paper" fee, that's just part of being a car dealer and the price of a car.

We are at a stalemate on the fee.

Tell me if I'm crazy.