Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
Well that was fun. Windows 10 can get stuck in a situation where programs that have previously been pinned won't show up in all apps or search. Adding a shortcut to the start menu folder just makes it show up pinned again, not in all apps or search, and unpinning deletes the shortcut. You have to blow away the tile settings to fix it, and this requires either copying from a new user account or deleting the files and using voodoo commands to reinitialize all your apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Khablam posted:

The overwhelming majority of laptops sold are still on 'spinning disks' and mid-range laptops are still pretty much the default purchase for most people (see: all back-to-school laptops). It's not a waste of time to optimise boot-times for them.

It feels a lot like ReadyBoost: a complex feature that provides marginal improvements in some specific situations and will be completely obsolete within 24 months.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
So I just got this mouse with Windows 10:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D68ZVY8/

And I like it's because it's probably the most comfortable mouse I've ever used in my life. But that blue windows logo button just brings up the start menu. Is there a way to hack that button to do something less completely useless?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jewel Repetition posted:

So I just got this mouse with Windows 10:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D68ZVY8/

And I like it's because it's probably the most comfortable mouse I've ever used in my life. But that blue windows logo button just brings up the start menu. Is there a way to hack that button to do something less completely useless?

Some quick Googling says the blue button is treated as hitting the Right Windows key, so remapping that button in Windows should let you do whatever it is you want. A lot of keyboards don't even have a Right Windows key anymore so you might not be able to hit that key otherwise.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
X-Mouse Button Control can probably deal with it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

When I asked Ducky about remapping the media keys on one of their keyboards, they suggested AutoHotkey and it works a charm*.
If you don't care about your physical right Windows key (or simply don't have one), you could remap it to do pretty much anything you want.

*Some programs and dialog boxes refuse to let AHK to do it's thing and will cause the original behavior.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 7, 2016

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
SharpKeys can probably do it if it counts as a right windows key, and is easier than having an AHK script loaded

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

redeyes posted:

Fast startup is the worst loving design decision MS could have ever made...

It prevents me from accessing my Windows drive from a different OS. I have to reboot into Windows and shut down properly first.

Does anyone know how the other OS (I've only tried it from Linux) knows that the drive is locked and marked as "in use" by Windows? Is there a firmware flag on most hard drives specifically for this purpose? Or does it take advantage of the same flag that prevents you unmounting a drive halfway through a disk write etc.?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I can't turn fast startup off

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So I now have two computers that are incapable of restarting from sleep since upgrading to Windows 10. Both try and wake, them immediately reboot (one of them actually seems to reboots a couple of times), before resuming from the hibernate file instead. I know that's what happening because if I disable hibernation on them, thus getting rid of the hibernate file, then I see the same behaviour, except they don't resume their previous state when they start up, it's like they've been freshly booted.

Looking at the behaviour alone I would normally definitely put it down to a hardware problem, but both machines were perfectly capable of waking from sleep before I put W10 on them. It's very annoying. I've tried a lot of pissing about, fiddling with BIOS settings, and unplugging as many drives and things as possible on one of them, and it's made no difference so far.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

chippy posted:

So I now have two computers that are incapable of restarting from sleep since upgrading to Windows 10. Both try and wake, them immediately reboot (one of them actually seems to reboots a couple of times), before resuming from the hibernate file instead. I know that's what happening because if I disable hibernation on them, thus getting rid of the hibernate file, then I see the same behaviour, except they don't resume their previous state when they start up, it's like they've been freshly booted.

Looking at the behaviour alone I would normally definitely put it down to a hardware problem, but both machines were perfectly capable of waking from sleep before I put W10 on them. It's very annoying. I've tried a lot of pissing about, fiddling with BIOS settings, and unplugging as many drives and things as possible on one of them, and it's made no difference so far.

Could it be related to the max size of the hibernation files? What is it set to?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

orange sky posted:

Could it be related to the max size of the hibernation files? What is it set to?

I'm not at home right now, I can't check. It will be whatever the default is, I've never touched it. But how would this come into it? I understand that they're doing hybrid sleep, but my understanding is that if they've only been asleep for a few minutes and there hasn't been a power cut or anything, they should be resuming from RAM rather than the hibernate file anyway, shouldn't they? And if I disable hibernation/hybrid sleep, they fail to resume at all, starting up as they would from a cold boot.

For the record, they are old-ish hardware (or at least current), but not really the same generation. One's a Core 2 based machine, one's an Ivy Bridge. One's got a spinning disk and one's an SSD. Both were able to wake from sleep on Windows 7!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Khablam posted:

The overwhelming majority of laptops sold are still on 'spinning disks' and mid-range laptops are still pretty much the default purchase for most people (see: all back-to-school laptops). It's not a waste of time to optimise boot-times for them.

$50 will get you a non-terrible 120GB SSD and $70 will get 240GB. I acknowledge that many people are still booting off spinning disks, but they shouldn't be.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Why does Windows Update download updates for Office parts that I don't have installed? Like Access, Publisher, InfoPath, Outlook, etc? I only have Excel, Word and Powerpoint.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SinineSiil posted:

Why does Windows Update download updates for Office parts that I don't have installed? Like Access, Publisher, InfoPath, Outlook, etc? I only have Excel, Word and Powerpoint.

Because of the servicing model for MSI installations.

It sort of prepares/caches the updates so if you ever choose to install those components of Office, they will already be patched.
Same happens for Windows components you don't have installed/enabled, they also get updates installed/prepared for them.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Rusty! posted:

X-Mouse Button Control can probably deal with it.

It can't intercept the windows button because it counts as being on the keyboard, but thank you.

isndl posted:

Some quick Googling says the blue button is treated as hitting the Right Windows key, so remapping that button in Windows should let you do whatever it is you want. A lot of keyboards don't even have a Right Windows key anymore so you might not be able to hit that key otherwise.

c0burn posted:

SharpKeys can probably do it if it counts as a right windows key, and is easier than having an AHK script loaded

SharpKeys has the inverse problem of X-Mouse, where it can't map to mousekeys. It can map to browser forward but that's "too specific" because I then can't use the button in games.

Geemer posted:

When I asked Ducky about remapping the media keys on one of their keyboards, they suggested AutoHotkey and it works a charm*.
If you don't care about your physical right Windows key (or simply don't have one), you could remap it to do pretty much anything you want.

*Some programs and dialog boxes refuse to let AHK to do it's thing and will cause the original behavior.

Yeah I did use AHK. It's not even extra trouble for me because I already had a script I run at startup so I just added extra keybindings into it. Here's the perfect keybindings that make the mouse just act like a regular mouse:

RWin::Send {Xbutton1}
XButton1::Send {Xbutton2}

(You can swap Xbutton1 and Xbutton2 if you want the windows key to be forward and the little one to be back. I just did it that way because I like the bigger/more accessible button to be back since it's used more often.)

Anyway thank you to everyone I quoted for trying to help.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

apropos man posted:

It prevents me from accessing my Windows drive from a different OS. I have to reboot into Windows and shut down properly first.

Does anyone know how the other OS (I've only tried it from Linux) knows that the drive is locked and marked as "in use" by Windows? Is there a firmware flag on most hard drives specifically for this purpose? Or does it take advantage of the same flag that prevents you unmounting a drive halfway through a disk write etc.?

NTFS has a flag that says it's mounted. Fast startup doesn't unmount the partition because that would take extra time, and editing a mounted partition in a different OS would make the structures on disk different than those in the kernel image for Windows, which could cause corruption the next time you start. You need to run chkdsk or whatever equivalent Linux has to clear that flag, then Windows should do a fresh boot the next time you start it and see the changes you made.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

dpbjinc posted:

NTFS has a flag that says it's mounted. Fast startup doesn't unmount the partition because that would take extra time, and editing a mounted partition in a different OS would make the structures on disk different than those in the kernel image for Windows, which could cause corruption the next time you start. You need to run chkdsk or whatever equivalent Linux has to clear that flag, then Windows should do a fresh boot the next time you start it and see the changes you made.

Ah. Cool. I didn't have a problem or anything: I was just wondering how it worked. Cheers.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

SinineSiil posted:

I can't turn fast startup off

Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable" near the top of that page.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wolrah posted:

$50 will get you a non-terrible 120GB SSD and $70 will get 240GB. I acknowledge that many people are still booting off spinning disks, but they shouldn't be.

Yes what MS really need to do more of is tell the customer they are wrong.

People aren't voiding warranties on their laptops, they're leaving the drive they have in there for at least a year. This ignores that laptop hardware replacement is a complete ballache on most models so your cost is really getting someone to do it for you. At which point they'd say "nah I'll get a new laptop instead".

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

What's the recommended course of action for having windows 10 retain window size and position after wake ?

I have 2 monitors and a large TV screen with Windows setup for maximum productivity , whenever the pc wakes for login (it never turns off) all the windows resize and get moved around.

It's annoying to have to move 3 windows and full screen them every single time

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sappo569 posted:

What's the recommended course of action for having windows 10 retain window size and position after wake ?

I have 2 monitors and a large TV screen with Windows setup for maximum productivity , whenever the pc wakes for login (it never turns off) all the windows resize and get moved around.

It's annoying to have to move 3 windows and full screen them every single time

It's probably a DisplayPort connected monitor. There's stories of those reporting themselves "not present" when they are switched off, or switched to a different input. So Windows thinks the number of displays has changed, and has to reposition everything.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

nielsm posted:

It's probably a DisplayPort connected monitor. There's stories of those reporting themselves "not present" when they are switched off, or switched to a different input. So Windows thinks the number of displays has changed, and has to reposition everything.

Yeah my display port monitor will turn on, but windows won't see it sometimes so I have to unplug and replug the cable for it to notice it.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

nielsm posted:

I've got a displayport monitor with two inputs, one from my mac laptop and one from my windows desktop. It's such a pain, but if I don't follow the exact "lock windows" or "lock mac" before swapping they think the cable is unplugged and default to some obnoxiously small screen size and all of my windows resize to fit.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

nielsm posted:

Correct they are all display port .... :arghfist:

I read about some windows config edits to force certain windows to start maximized on certain monitors. Any chance of that working ?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is there anything in Windows 10 that lets you set up alarms? Like a notification that comes up at a day and time you predetermined.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Jewel Repetition posted:

Is there anything in Windows 10 that lets you set up alarms? Like a notification that comes up at a day and time you predetermined.

Cortana

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

Calendar

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Jewel Repetition posted:

As already mentioned, Cortana. Just hit the Windows key, then type "timer 5 minutes" or "reminder tomorrow at noon". Or talk to it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Jewel Repetition posted:

There's an "Alarms and Clock" app, if you like doing things yourself.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Jewel Repetition posted:

Did you not think to open the start menu and type the word "alarm", just to check before asking?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The alarm and clock app doesn't seem to work for future dates, just for weekly or daily alarms. And I'm hesitant to turn on Cortana. What's Microsoft do with the info it collects? Does it use up processor time/memory? What is Microsoft Edge and how is that related?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jewel Repetition posted:

The alarm and clock app doesn't seem to work for future dates, just for weekly or daily alarms. And I'm hesitant to turn on Cortana. What's Microsoft do with the info it collects?
Same thing google does: use it for world domination advertising and "platform synergy" or some other meaningless marketing buzzwordsalad. Ads rule everything around me.

quote:

Does it use up processor time/memory?

Not really. Its already idle on your system right now unless you've mucked with the system at a deep level to remove it. Check task manager.

quote:

What is Microsoft Edge and how is that related?
Microsoft Edge is the new internet explorer. They are unrelated.

But really, telling cortana to set a reminder is just putting an event on the calendar anyways. So just use that. Or get some oldschool system tray app that does alarms, there are probably about a million to choose from.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 10, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Speaking of Edge, is that getting webm support any time soon?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

The alarm and clock app doesn't seem to work for future dates, just for weekly or daily alarms. And I'm hesitant to turn on Cortana. What's Microsoft do with the info it collects? Does it use up processor time/memory? What is Microsoft Edge and how is that related?

Still sounds like you want Calendar.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Speaking of Edge, is that getting webm support any time soon?

It has VP9 support. It doesn't have VP8 support (Microsoft says it does but youtube.com/html5 doesn't) but odds are anything still only using VP8 doesn't give a poo poo.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Jewel Repetition posted:

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10-cortana-and-privacy

Klyith posted:

Same thing google does: use it for world domination advertising and "platform synergy" or some other meaningless marketing buzzwordsalad. Ads rule everything around me.

According to the Cortana privacy policy it does NOT use data you provide to Cortana for ad targeting.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 11, 2016

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

astral posted:

Still sounds like you want Calendar.

Yeah I'm looking at Calendar and it seems to be what I need. What do the reminders for events actually look/sound like?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jewel Repetition posted:

Yeah I'm looking at Calendar and it seems to be what I need. What do the reminders for events actually look/sound like?

Just the normal notification sound used for anything that pops up in the action center, and then a corner notification that stays until you dismiss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabio Lanzoni
Nov 9, 2006
When I listen to a solo, I think of a duo
Has anyone here with Windows 10 Education received the anniversary update? It's never showed up in Windows Update for me.